Pawn Among Wolves Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mac's tone had been sombre, and he had conveyed gently to his mate: the Whites have already asked to expand the mourning song to honour these their cousins at the next full moon. And many like Ada and her cubs are giving homes to the survivors, or to more strays, bringing them in, loving them for what their brethren did last night. Mourn them, yes, but do not regret badgering me into acknowledging them. They died happy, no longer outcast.

Gemma had gulped, squeezing his hand tightly as she had watched, the tears rolling silently.

Afterward, she had sent Ada home to prepare for the pack exodus. She didn't think her assistant had had any idea of the consequence of the results which they had finally managed to isolate this morning, and hadn't wanted the ex-Grey sjeste to hear this.

Valerie did understand, instantly, and was again staring at the copy of the results spreadsheet on her own screen, a little red dot appearing on her cheekbones as the glow in her eyes grew.

"That bastard," she spat out. Gemma jumped, and her heart constricted as her hope sank.

A little corner of her mind noted sadly that some things discomposed even Valerie.

"There must be another cure," the wereem insisted softly.

"Like what? The only way to counteract the fix is suicide, so the fix is impossible to eradicate - all he needs to do is inject them with the barbiturate compound again, and they will again be bound by the strength of that damn fix," she growled.

"But Mac fought them free - it is possible to free them!"

"Temporarily. If they were injected again, with the compound keyed to Grey - or Tzo -," the blue eyes glared across into hers, anger scorching, "Then your Alpha would have to fight them again. The whole damn pack. How many do you have now? Surrounding you. And you cannot get rid of the fix."

"Just because the obvious antidote would be suicide for a wolf, does not mean it is the only option," protested Gemma stubbornly. "We can't leave the ex-Greys - and the Whites, if he manages to re-dose them, this vulnerable to manipulation. We have to find a way to eradicate the fix."

They were her pack.

Her heart was burning fiercely.

"A dose of the required potency to counteract the fix - that much silver would kill them," stated Valerie coldly.

"Mac carried more than that earlier this year," retorted Gemma.

"Mac is an exceptionally strong wolf with an immunity built up from previous torture - would you really advocate that? Most of them would die," answered her mentor scathingly, and Gemma shuddered, a little shamefaced. Was that what had happened to him?

"Moreover, this fix has been built up over years, it is woven into the Greys," added Valerie furiously.

"There are other possibilities!" insisted Gemma, frowning at the physician on the screen. "One - the possibility that the silver in the antidote would bind with the fix and pass harmlessly out of the wolf."

"Yet even if that were true, if you got the dose wrong, you would kill the carrier."

"You could build it up, increase test doses -," began Gemma.

"No you can't, that's the vileness of this," growled Valerie. "A little dose would just strengthen the damn fix. Testing to find the right dose would be equally lethal. Stop clutching at straws, little were. Think scientifically, not hopefully."

Gemma growled back, "Stop snapping my nose off!" while hearing Mac calling from upstairs: "Time to go, picchu. We need to pick up Kate and Bethan!"

They had no time. They were evacuating - this house was no longer safe. Yet to run with the Whites - was that safe? Were they all bound to her and Mac still? She didn't know what it would feel like if one circled. Would that happen if Grey did manage to inject them? All of them?

Life was so relentless.

"We have to try something," she snarled, mind echoing, empty of ideas as she reached for the switch to turn off the computer. She could hear the emptiness in the house upstairs, the solitude of her mate's footfalls padding quietly downstairs. They were the last to leave.

"We cannot block the fix - maybe we can block the key," her mentor mused. "How far have you got with deciphering it?"

Ah.

Gemma's mouth opened, and she paused, her heart thudding in sudden dread as her mate stepped through the lab doorway across the room, so her right.

"Um," she said.

"Have you deciphered the key, Gem?" he asked, eyes alert, fierce. She had not shielded this conversation from him. Now she was suddenly, fiercely, shielding her thoughts. No longer he looked suspicious.

"I haven't worked out a way to block it," she proffered, but the realisation of what she did have hit her, and she suddenly lifted intent eyes back to the old physician.

"That isn't what I asked," replied her mate dangerously. He could no doubt scent her guilt on the air. But she now also felt a wisp of hope.

Could this work?

It was easier to come clean to the alert blue eyes scorching her from thousands of miles away.

"I have worked it out - and synthesised it, keyed to Mac. And tested it - on myself," she admitted. May as well get it all out in one go.

"WHAT?" exploded behind her, and she felt a strong clasp clamp above her elbow, preparing to wrench her around, anger surging through the air. And - sadness?

Blue eyes clashed with black-flecked green, and Valerie barked, "Later, Mackeld. We have very little time, and I need to get the facts before you beat your mate for her stupidity."

Mac snarled. Valerie glared, eyes flaring in reply, and she growled out, "This may save your pack of Whites. And more."

Gemma could feel her mate shuddering beside her as he hauled in his rage.

The scorching, scathing black-flecked blue eyes switched back to hers.

"When did you test this? And what is the formula? How long does it take to synthesise?" The scientist at work. There was anger in her eyes also.

Gemma answered the rapid staccato of questions, and Mac suddenly realised what the chemist and the physician were discussing and snarled again, face twisting in anguish, "I am not having a pack of slaves. I am an Alpha. A wolf has the right to CHOOSE."

Valerie snapped her head back to meet his gaze and Gemma swayed under the resounding clash, twitching herself out of it to unlock and send through to her mentor her secret notes on how to create the Mac-keyed drug.

"These Whites have had that ability torn from them," the slight Frenchwoman answered the Alpha angrily, in no way discomposed by the tower of rage confronting her. "And they have chosen you. But if we do not reinforce their choice, Grey may remove it."

The aged physician unfolded slightly stiffly to her feet, while clicking open the file she had just received, scanning it.

"I will NOT-," began Mac furiously, but fell silent as Gemma heard the Wolflord rebuke Mac harshly in his head. A startled look appeared in her Alpha's eyes, and he looked a little dazed, the grip above her elbow slackening as he took several deep breaths and calmed down, meeting the black-swirling blue eyes of the woman on the screen with a flicker of disbelief.

"You cannot rejoin your pack until I have created enough of this to make it safe - maybe tomorrow, maybe the day after," stated Valerie calmly. "I will have it couriered to where you can plan to meet your wolves, if you let Fealden know."

Mac's face twisted in distress again, eyes shadowed, and Valerie added gently, "You know what your pack will choose, Mackeld."

"I may be able to find an antidote to the key, with more time" encouraged Gemma softly, hopefully.

The rage flared back into Mac's black eyes as he looked down at his mate, but he didn't say anything, just began to haul her toward the doorway leading outside.

"You certainly make life interesting," the wereem heard Valerie commenting calmly as she was towed away. "Look me up again when this war is over, mon petit garou."

Mac halted at the broken door, and turned back. Gemma blinked as she saw him flicker the salute of respect to the aged woman on screen, who grimaced, snorting elegantly, and shook her head at her mate.

The grip on Gemma's elbow was released and she stepped back to face the blue eyes on the screen, heart beating sickeningly against her ribs. "Thank-you so much for everything," whispered Gemma, holding the blue eyes sadly. That was so inadequate. She received a calm nod, and abruptly yanked the cable from the wall. Then she closed her eyes in a wince at the screeching cacophony as Mac shredded the body of the computer.

She turned huge eyes up to her mate, uncertain.

His eyes were jet black as he grabbed her hand and pulled her roughly after him to exit the house.

The silence was eloquent. She shuddered.

*

Sporadic rain was showering against the windows of the car as Mac drove carefully along the overgrown gravel backroad through the dark trees in the middle of the afternoon. There was silence in the cab: Gemma's ears were still ringing from the thorough chewing out her mate had wrung her through. Her heart was a little sad. He saw her secrecy as proof that she didn't trust him. Not the human part of her. She would have to do her utmost to prove that she did. Both today, in this game of obedience, and in future, properly, learning to share her thoughts even when she knew he'd come down with a heavy no on an idea she knew was right. But she would learn.

He was learning to do the same.

And at least he didn't hold grudges - his scent was now clear, relaxed.

A brief flash of heat flared through her as she wondered where they'd stay tonight. They couldn't yet join the Whites in the war-run, but could catch them up by public transport, thanks to her drug. A brief second honeymoon? Her insides squirmed in delight.

Then a sigh from the girl leaning against her re-awoke Gemma to the here-and-now.

They'd had to use a different hire company for the SUV Mac was driving; the Porsche was still hidden in the garage back at the house. Did wolves always leave houses and cars in that state?

She was on the end of the long, front passenger seat, nearest to Mac. She and Bethan, to her right, had their arms each other, huddled together staring out over the hood. Kate was squashed against the door on Bethan's far side, her head turned away to look out of the side window, one foot up on the seat and her hands clasped lightly around her jean-clad knee as she hummed to herself.

They had driven in silence for a while now, after the initial babble, and the humans' uneasy scent was souring the air in the cab.

Bethan sighed, slumping, drumming her feet lightly on the floor. "I hate cars," she muttered, staring gloomily at the raindrops sliding toward the corners of the windshield, a light shiver running through her frame. Her voice lifted into a childish whine, mocking herself, "Are we nearly there yet?"

Kate's hum broke off in the middle as she coughed, staring out into the stretches of damp forest. Her hands tightened around her knee. "I hate forests," she muttered in reply, very low.

Mac glanced over, sad understanding in his eyes as he surveyed them both, and he rumbled, "Gus's cousins live in the forest. If you want me to find you another safe house then -."

Kate sighed and whipped her head around to send a twisted grin across to her friend. "Nope," she said. "If this is the safest place, then that's where I want to be. I'm just a grouch - forget it."

"How can we forget it," murmured Gemma, slanting her eyes across at Kate, falling back in relief into old familiar teasing.

"When you remind us every opportunity you get?" finished Bethan, with a little smile.

Kate smiled even more broadly, shoulders relaxing as she grinned across the cab at the driver. "I believe I just won," she announced slyly. Mac rolled his eyes. Kate's gaze turned to Gemma, "Mac and I had a bet on over how long you'd manage to be nice to me. He was so unrealistic."

"I was being nice!" retorted Gemma indignantly, hearing her mate snorting with laughter beside her. "I was trying to relax you, make you feel comfortable - just treat you as politely as you ever treat me."

"Excuses, excuses," said Kate.

"Well, I was just calling you a grouch," interpolated Bethan with a disarming air of frankness. "Any excuse you get, you just lapse into soulful gloom."

In a second, Kate turned angrily on her fellow victim, eyes flashing with unusual anger, "And haven't I got reason?"

"You bet!" agreed her friend with light-hearted enthusiasm. "If Gus's cousins are anything like him, I'd want them feeling sorry for me and all protective too."

There was a second of shocked, startled silence. Then Gemma couldn't help laughing at her outrageous friend.

"Maybe you don't care what happened over the last two -," began Kate furiously, but Bethan talked over her, her powerful, trained voice rolling around the car.

"If you're feeling gloomy that you outsmarted, floored and left that vicious bastard in your dust - well frankly, I think you should be shouting Hooray for Kate, Kate!"

The last phrase was a full, tuneful cheer as Bethan flung back her head and yodelled to the ceiling.

Kate's face was white with anger as she gaped at her friend. Then suddenly she gulped, snorted, and started to laugh weakly.

"Hooray," she gasped into the cloth covering her knee, jamming her face against it as tears leaked from her eyes.

"Hooray for Kate!" catcalled Bethan again, rolling her head around on the headrest, tears also sparkling at the corners of her eyes.

"Hooray for Kate!" echoed Gemma feelingly, clapping her hands in the air in front of her face.

"Hooray!" came from Kate, still muffled, but stronger.

"HOORAY!" cheered all four of them, in harmony, almost raising the roof of the car with the volume. "HOORAY!"

"RAAAAY!!"

"Woooooo!!"

"I think Bethan should be feeling just as proud," interrupted Mac suddenly in a pause for breath, a grin on his face. "All those weeks of Grey's scheming confounded by her grabbing the package. Foiled again!"

"HOORAY!" yelled Kate, while Gemma warbled "YIPPEEE!" drumming her feet on the floor. They both nudged the girl between them, and Bethan coughed, and chimed in with a weak, "Yippee."

"YIPPEE!" cheered Mac insistently, while Kate and Gemma swayed violently from side to side, shaking Bethan between them, drumming their feet on the floor and chiming in, "RAAAY!"

"Ok! OK already. HOORAY!!" shouted Bethan, laughing herself. The cheering chorus echoed around the car for a few more moments, before they had to break off, gasping for breath and laughing.

"But my favourite," gasped Kate tears shining on her smiling cheeks, "Was his face - just after he'd slammed us back off the road and was wrenching the door open, when he looked up and saw you sprinting down from the trees." She grinned across at Mac.

Bethan laughed, crying out, "I have never seen someone turn so white in my life!"

"Or turn tail and run faster!" sang Kate, delighted.

"Hooray for Mac!"

"HOORAY!"

"YIPPEEE!"

Not being able to kill Grey is driving me insane, cursed Mac silently under the cheering in the car. Gemma slid a hand onto his thigh and squeezed it gently, before turning to kneel up on her seat and holler, "HOORAY!" insistently into his wincing ear. As second later her face was smothered against the side of his jacket, nose grinding against his shoulder.

"I shut Gemma up!" her mate catcalled triumphantly. "HOORAY!"

"HOORAY!" chimed in Kate and Bethan, hiccupping with laughter.

Gemma wrenched herself free of his slackened grip, panting as she sank back onto her seat, glowering at her mate.

"And hooray for Gemma for driving Grey into the ground!" warbled Kate cheerfully.

"HOORAAY!" called Mac proudly, flashing her a grin. "RAAAY!" echoed Kate. "GO ME!!" yelled Gemma.

Bethan interrupted the cheering in a calm, conversational voice, "So, when's the wedding?"

Kate choked, mid yippee.

Gemma gulped a half snort, mouth hanging open, and turned to the abruptly silent Mac. She knew he hadn't said anything either.

His eyes were amused as he glanced across at their dark, fiery friend, grinning. "After we drop you off, we're on our way to Gemma's parents', to tell them," he corroborated.

Kate sat bolt upright. "You are getting married?" she asked. Her eyes dropped to Gemma's hands, "Where's the ring?" she demanded indignantly.

Gemma also jerked bolt upright. What? she demanded. Her mind suddenly slammed to a halt, heart pulsing wildly, and she turned burning, incredulous eyes up to her mate.

Bethan's eyes slid to the astonished friend quivering beside her. "Looks like you didn't know you were getting married, Gem."

Flashing, furious brown eyes glared at Mac as he responded, grinning even more widely across her at Bethan and Kate, "It's not that - she'd just forgotten it's her father's birthday tomorrow, and we'd agreed to go down the night before to tell them."

"Tonight?" squeaked Gemma. She couldn't believe it. Not tonight - damn herself for losing track of time. Damn him, he knew she didn't pay attention to stuff like that any more. Had known when he had made her swear to obey -ooooh.

Her skin tingled, blood pulsing as she also remembered what he'd promised to do to her tonight. She had happily packed the tooth caps, her underwear and the box he'd forbidden her to peep into inside their case. She'd thought that they were going to have time out from the pack somewhere secluded tonight, but now she realised that he had never said as much.

Not at her parents' - he wouldn't. She couldn't.

Oh my little slave, Mac reminded her smugly.

"Yup," he said aloud, for Bethan and Kate's benefit. Tonight.

Her mouth opened. She breathed harshly, once, twice, wondering where to hit him, completely oblivious to her avidly watching friends.

Hit him quickly, before he ordered her not to. Then her lips twitched, heat curling through her. Dammit. Damn the damn wolf.

The smug little smile deepened in his eyes, "Your parents will be delighted," he promised.

To see how devoted you are to me, he added silently, gleefully.

"I wouldn't bet on it - you've met Dad before," she growled back, breath coming in little pants.

I only promised to obey you until midnight: you can bet I'm going to make up for it tomorrow, she threatened silently, mind seething, despite the arousal firing her blood. Mac, I can't.

I think you'll find that you can, he purred.

"He disapproved of you fancying a bartender/ photographer," her mate agreed casually, aloud. "He'll come around when he sees how happy you are."

I am not happy, she grated.

You promised, her mate reminded her again.

And he glanced down at her, eyes sparkling. "Just look happy!" he ordered.

Gemma grimaced out of the windshield, then managed to wrench her face into a beaming smile, eyes crossing in effort, before she straightened them out into glazed adoration, mind seething.

Kate broke into fits of laughter. "Oh Gem, it's good to see you've met your match."

Gemma turned her fixed beam across at her chuckling friend, and received a hard hug from Bethan, also grinning, "But you need to work on that devoted smile a bit."

"Like this," the actress added, and turned her face down a little, peeking admiringly up a Mac out of the tops of her eyes, a coy look of wonder on her face.