Paying My Dues

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As I dropped it into my pocket I asked, "How's the perm going, Jenny? Your hair looks nice. You did all this for me? We're done. Don't ever speak to me again, EVER!" I seethed. "I'm getting the hell out of here," I said as I made a quick exit.

When Brandon finally got his wits about him, he started yelling. I heard Jenny scream my name sobbing. I wonder what she is going to tell her parents about our breakup. If they press me, I'll be more than happy to share the video with them. I rushed home and uploaded a backup copy of the video to an online email account that I alone knew about. I knew Brandon was going to complain about me blindsiding him to my parents. Before the golden boy could get there, I preemptively made my case for what little it was worth, so they could see that, in my view, I had a reason for my actions. I showed them the video recording.

"Quinn, that's disgusting. Are you some kind of pervert? Who records something like that? Delete that memory chip this instant. This instant, do you hear?" My mother demanded.

"Mom, I'll do as you ask under one condition."

"You'll do it because I said so! But what is your condition?"

"If you and dad will both admit that I had a legitimate reason for doing what I did tonight. I was going to ask her to marry me! Not anymore. I'm done with her! Think about it, if it was Brandon's girlfriend that I sexually seduced instead, would you agree that he would be justified to be just as angry with me?"

They looked at each other, then dad contributed, "Look son, we realize that this is a shock to your system. Jenny is a nice girl, your mother and I agree but she isn't the one for you. Maybe Brandon did you a favor by pointing out her character flaws. We'll talk to him when he comes in. I'll make sure he doesn't come after you for any retribution. Let's chalk this up to a big misunderstanding, okay?"

That was as close to an apology by my parents for my brother's behavior as I was ever going to get. I removed the memory chip from my camera and handed it to my mom.

"Here, mom, you can delete it if you want to. If Jenny calls, I won't talk to her. Tell her anything you want. I guess you two and Brandon get everything you want, again. I get shortchanged as usual. Tell Brandon he can have her all he wants from now on."

Then I walked away to my room and shut my door. Mom and dad remained silent, content that they had spared their golden boy the embarrassment of such an explicit recording. Brandon stormed in a while later but true to their word for once in their lives, they prevented his recrimination.

Jenny approached me in school the following Monday.

"Quinn, I feel terrible about Saturday night. Please let me explain."

"No Jenny. I don't need any explanation nor would I believe a word you say anyway. Please leave me alone. If you don't, you'll regret it. I'll see that your father finds out how you betrayed me."

"I know that's a bluff. I don't believe you. Brandon told me the recording you made was destroyed."

"Try me," I said as I walked away.

And try, she did. Her father called me four days later asking what happened between Jenny and me. She had told him I broke up with her for no reason except that someone was telling lies about her indicating that she was unfaithful to me. She postulated that another girl may be trying to steal me away from her. I sent him a copy of the recording. I never heard from her or her family again.

The last few days of school, Jenny was around but, thankfully, she avoided the crowd I hung out with. I tried to be the bigger person. Although I could have trashed her reputation, I didn't. When my friends asked why we broke up, I said only that we disagreed on some important issues and left it at that. I didn't want to destroy her. I just wanted her out of my life.

I realized that for the first time in a long while, I no longer had a girlfriend. Luisa would have occupied that slot nicely but that was not in the cards. I hung out with my friends. Many of us went to The Shakedown Club for a night of fun. I never lacked a dance partner. Other guys trusted me with their girls on the dance floor because they knew me to be a person of integrity. But when it came time for the Senior Prom, I decided to make lemonade out of a lemon. I received Juan's blessing to ask Luisa to be my date for the event, and we had the most incredible time together. As she matured, she had become a raven-haired version of beautiful athlete Paige VanZant. She was a vision of beauty that floated like an angel. She told me that her amazing dress was a gift from my grandpa. I made a mental note to thank him later.

My high school graduation was only ten days away. I finished my exams and did very well. I focused intently on my studies now that Jenny was no longer a distraction. My parents noticed that I was not speaking to my brother but didn't make an issue of it. I would avoid both Brandon's smirks, and running into any of Jenny's friends over the summer. What I most looked forward to over the summer was seeing my BFF again. Although I had always been the perfect gentleman around Luisa, her father, Juan, came to me soon after I arrived after he noticed that we were hanging out a lot more together than usual.

"Quinn, you're a fine young man with a good heart. My Luisa is the same, a great girl with a good heart. I wish it was otherwise but the two of you are from different worlds. You come from wealth. My Luisa comes from this farm life, and it will always be so. Your family would never allow the two of you to be together. You have shared with me many times how they run roughshod over you and control your life. It is my job to protect Luisa. I do not want her heart broken. She really cares for you, maybe even loves you. I need you to keep your distance so she doesn't hope for a future that will never be. Will you help me protect her?"

As sad as those words were for me to hear, I realized that they had a ring of truth to them. I acknowledged Juan's wisdom and told him I would do my best to honor his wishes. Although Luisa and I both now realized that we would never be together, I made sure that she knew that I treasured her as my best friend. I never once asked her for sex. I respected her and her father far too much for that. Suddenly I was hit with a ton of suspicion. Juan was right. My parents never fully embraced Jenny. Were they somehow complicit in Brandon's seduction of my girlfriend? That thought rankled me. Am I nothing more than a puppet?

Mom and dad urged me to stay in close contact with Brandon since we were brothers but I had zero interest in doing that. As a result, they constantly updated me on everything that was going on with him. I feigned interest for their sake but never offered comment.

I realize that I should have expected it but it still shocked me that my parents couldn't make it to my high school graduation. Brandon had returned to GWU for their graduation ceremonies. He was going to be a marshal carrying a flag leading groups of graduates at GWU's commencement to their seats, and they simply wouldn't miss that for the world. They nearly insisted that I skip my graduation and ask the school to mail me my diploma so that I could be there to support my brother. They relented after seeing my saddest puppy-dog eyes and left me behind.

I was shocked to see grandpa and every one of the farm hands and families in attendance at my graduation ceremony. They all made me feel loved. Luisa asked me to point out Jenny, which I did. She glared at her until we left. Grandpa treated us all to my surprise graduation party at his farm. In addition to the farm workers, every single member of my extended family was there complete with children, except for Brandon and my parents. Not a single person asked me about them. I thought that was odd. There must have been a hundred people in attendance. The party went on all afternoon and included a huge barbecue dinner. Everyone was stuffed. I received numerous gifts and dozens of cards loaded with money. I thanked everyone for their kindness and generosity. I was the life of the party and kept everyone in stitches laughing at my jokes and antics. Perhaps I should consider a career in entertainment.

When my parents finally returned home from Washington DC, dad called me outside to unload their car. It was then that I saw another vehicle parked there. Mom and dad were beaming as he handed me the keys. It's all yours, son. This Nissan Versa is only three years old, so much of its depreciation has already occurred. It's safe and reliable and should hold its value well. We hope you enjoy it, son. Happy graduation! The smallest zephyr would have blown me over. It wasn't even new! A three-year-old used, white Nissan Versa? Really? That was the best they could do for me? The paint was scuffed and scratched in several places. Now I'm not knocking the car by any means. It looked drivable. But compared to the 90-grand custom car Brandon received last year, I was hoping for a little something more than the 13-grand used car they were giving me. He graduated with a 2.4 GPA while I earned a 3.8. In what world is this fair? I couldn't help it. Tears pooled in my eyes and ran down my cheeks.

Chapter-2

Mom hugged me, "Oh, Quinn, honey, we can see that you're choked up after receiving such a nice graduation present. No other thanks are needed. Your father will bring our bags inside. Why don't you take it for a drive, now, and show it off to your little friends? Oh, and don't forget. Starting tomorrow, your grandpa expects you to be at the farm for the summer. I'll go pack your suitcase while you're out taking a joy ride in your new car."

I said nothing, not even thank you. Mine weren't tears of joy as she surmised. They were tears of humiliation and disappointment. Never had the reality of their favoritism toward Bandon been so starkly presented as was demonstrated that day.

"I don't want to disappoint grandpa, mom, so I'll go ahead and pack my suitcase now and get going this afternoon. I'm sure you two could use some rest after your trip. I don't need to test drive the car first. I'm pretty sure it will get me to grandpa's farm without breaking down."

Mom furrowed her brow, unsure how to take my comment. It didn't matter. I was sure they'd rather me be gone today than wait until tomorrow.

"But your father and I wanted to take you out to eat at the Golden Corral to celebrate your graduation since we missed it, just the three of us." Another slap in the face. Just my parents and me at the Golden Corral versus Brandon's hundred-plus party at the VFW hall? Am I not their child too? Did someone just abandon me on their doorstep? That might have made sense but I've seen my birth certificate.

"No need to go to all that trouble just for me, mom. Grandpa took me out to eat on my graduation day, so it's already been celebrated. I'll get packed quickly and be gone before you know it."

Mom again furrowed her brow at my rejection of going out with them, "Well, if you've got your mind set on getting out there sooner, we don't want to stand in your way. Your father and I have discussed where we think best for you to go to school this fall. We'll talk more about it at summer's end when you return."

After the disappointing car gift, I had no reason to hope of being sent to GWU with Brandon to pursue a BA degree. I pushed all hopes to the back of my mind to avoid thinking about another letdown.

Though I arrived early, grandpa was elated to see me. He was much more of a loving parent to me than mom and dad combined. Not only that but I couldn't wait to catch up with Luisa IF I could catch her. Her running skills had improved even more. She was the star of her school's track team and had won many trophies. Sometimes she'd let me win a foot race to assuage my ego. She was the kindest girl I had ever met. We saddled up and were soon roaming the many fields of the farm. That summer was one of the best of my life. I don't think I drove my Nissan a single time over the summer. Grandpa insisted that I drive his Cadillac anywhere I needed to go. After Juan's admonition, I played it straight with Luisa. I told her of her father's concerns and she disappointedly understood. We both avowed to be each other's besties regardless of whether or not we could eventually marry but we did discuss what we valued in a potential mate. There was no doubt we loved each other but recognized the limitations we both faced. There was an abandoned quarry about fifteen minutes from the farm. Everyone in high school and college had been there to party and make out. The owners got wind of the activity and pumped the water out at regular intervals to prevent its popularity as a swimming hole. They didn't want liability for drowning incidents. I took Luisa there more than once for a picnic.

All of the farm hands worked their hearts out for me that summer. Grandpa asked me what I had said to them to motivate them to such an extent. Productivity on the farm had increased by nearly twenty percent. I told him that I merely treated them as I would like to be treated myself. His knowing smile and pat on my back were reward enough. I had pleased my grandpa. I didn't realize how much about life I was learning from this amazing man without taking a single class. At summer's end, I returned home. Brandon was there, of course, preparing to leave for his second year at GWU. After he said his goodbyes and headed down the road in his impressive performance car, mom and dad finally sat me down for a talk.

"Quinn, your mother and I have given a lot of thought about your continuing education," my father began. "You've expressed your desire to follow in your brother's footsteps and join him at GWU. Your mother and I fear that you may be setting your sights a bit too high, and think it best that you start off a bit simpler before jumping off the deep end."

"What do you mean, dad? Didn't you see my report cards? I made much better grades than Brandon. There's no way I wouldn't be able to do as well if not better than him at GWU."

"Quinn, don't you think it's a bit arrogant to point out the differences in your grades? You don't need to put your brother down to try to make yourself look better. It's not very becoming, and quite honestly, I'm disappointed that you even brought it up. There's much more to life than just making decent grades. Your brother has other qualities that will carry him far in life, qualities that you, quite frankly, don't possess. That's why he is where he is. Your mother and I have enrolled you in Grandview Community College. It's local, only fifteen minutes from here, so you can drive to your classes every day and return home where you'll be safe and sound to do your homework."

"Community College? Really? That's the vision you and mom have for me? They don't even offer four-year degrees. The best they have to offer is two-year associate degrees in a very limited range of programs. I hear they have a great two-year associate degree program in sewing and fashion design. Is that what you had in mind for me?"

"No need to get snippy with me, Quinn. They also have an excellent program for dental hygienists. What about that?"

"Teeth cleaning?" Your lofty career aspirations are for me is for me to clean teeth?"

"Don't knock the school, Quinn. They offer a great starter program toward becoming a nurse."

"So, you're saying you're allowing me the choice in what kind of feminine classes I can take?"

Mom and dad looked at each other before he continued. "People from all walks of life take those courses, Quinn, not just women. Look, we want nothing but the best for you. We'd prefer that you look seriously at becoming a dental hygienist, or even a nurse if you believe you manage it. We've established an account with Grandview that will cover any courses of study you may be interested in for the full two years. Here's a brochure for you to review. You might be surprised once you see everything they have to offer."

My head was spinning. "Like Brandon, my long-range plans are to come work for you at the plant, dad. That's the only career I've ever contemplated, to be honest. The courses you suggest I take would steer me away from working there. Are you saying that you don't want me working with you? Am I not good enough?"

"No Quinn, that's not it at all. Of course, you're good enough. Look at it like this, if you start with me at the plant, you'll most likely start at the bottom, and it may take you many years to work your way up. It'll be long days of hard work, Quinn, and with someone of your.....delicate constitution, your mother and I aren't sure that would be the best fit for you."

"Delicate constitution?"

"Face the facts, Quinn," my mother chimed. "You don't have the same physical constitution as your brother. No one expects you to compete against him. It wouldn't be a fair fight. Life is not about everything being fair and equal from every person's perspective. It's just life. We all play our hand from the cards we're dealt. Give Grandview a chance, please, sweetie?"

I silently walked away from them and shut my bedroom door to keep my head from exploding. So I'm just an inferior specimen to them, huh? At least I'm clear about where I stand in their eyes. I did look through the brochure to see if there was any program at all that might interest me. There wasn't, so I looked to their home page online for a comprehensive listing of all available courses. In their Academic Programs, they were offering a brand new course program for an Associate Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology, AS. I bet dad didn't know about this one. I immediately signed up for the program online and saw that it was nearly full. This might be the only program offered where I might not be the only student not wearing a dress. I decided to not tell my parents what program I was taking. After all, I wouldn't want them worrying about my delicate constitution.

I applied myself diligently to the coursework. The comprehensive program covered the basics of multiple mechanical disciplines. I found it fascinating. I had visited dad's plant many times and had seen many of the types of machines and mechanical principles employed there. My first semester in the Community College was flying by. I was flourishing. Even the atmosphere at home was much better for me with Brandon's absence.

About halfway through my first year, I was seated in the cafeteria having lunch with about twenty friends. I was very gregarious and made friends easily. We were often asked to be quieter because of the constant laughter erupting from our group. I still wasn't dating other than the group date forays we often took together. Grandview's enrollment was eighty percent female, and our group was representative. Suddenly, in walked a gorgeous woman, and she seemed to be heading my way. She stopped, standing right between my chair and Kelly's, who was one of the sweetest girls in our group.

"Excuse me, everyone here seems to be having the best time, so this seems to be THE place to be. Would you mind terribly if I joined your group? I don't know many people here yet and would love to make new friends."

Her voice was that of an angel. To me, she appeared to be a golden blonde version of Pop superstar Selena Gomez. She was adorably cute and beautiful at the same time. Her infectious manner immediately drew everyone in, including me.

"Sure," Kelly replied. "There's always room for one more. Quinn, why don't you scoot over just a bit and I'll do the same?" Kelly slid over an empty chair between us encouraging the new transfer student to take her place among us.

"Why thank you so much. I'm Faye, Faye Dunham. I'm usually nervous about making new friends but somehow I managed the courage to ask if I could join you."

And that's how Faye Dunham effortlessly wandered into my life. Everyone else in the group loved her personality. She had a knack for asking just the right questions, proving her interest in others, and was immediately adopted. Even though Faye was enrolled in the Dental Hygienist program, she became ubiquitous after that first cafeteria meeting. Although we only shared two classes, English and Math, she would mysteriously appear at my side as I made my way to my other classes unrelated to hers. I was no fool. Her attraction to me was evident, and every guy in the school, including me, was attracted to her. There's something infectious when you learn of another person's interest in you, especially if they're stunning. She joined our group dates for a couple of weeks but always remained close by my side as if she was claiming me as part of her territory. She never acted jealous of me interacting with the other girls but everyone could see that she wanted us to become an item.