Phalarope Romance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I glanced at him as he looked through his scope. I was surprised he wasn't ogling me. I was wearing my cutoff jeans and red short-sleeved blouse; men always took notice. Female birders weren't hanging from every tree out here and there weren't many trees. After a few minutes, he stood back from his scope, pulled his phone out and starting touching the screen.

"Using eBird?" I asked.

"Yes, it's handy," he replied not looking at me. Then went back to his scope.

He hadn't even looked at me. I went back to my scope puzzled by his lack of interest. I was looking when he said. "Virginia Rail on the far edge of the open water at two o'clock walking to the right."

I quickly moved my scope to bear on the spot and there it was. His directions were spot on. I was impressed, most people I met couldn't tell you accurately where the bird was without using their finger to point you in the direction.

"I see it. Good spotting," I said appreciatively, impressed.

"Thanks. I'm new here, so I'm trying the hotspots first. The summary graphs showed this rail was found here earlier in the season."

I expected him to engage me in conversation; make a little time with me as men usually did. I'd checked and saw he wasn't wearing a wedding ring. I took my eye from my scope and looked at him again. When his eyes met mine I felt time fall away. It felt as if my heart had skipped every few beats while standing under a heat lamp. He had the most beautiful brown eyes and a wonderful smile. I found myself staring and forced my eyes away.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yes, I'm fine. Sorry, I thought you looked like someone else from years ago," trying to explain my behavior away.

"Yeah. I have that kind of face. Girls are always telling me I look like someone they knew. Well, thanks for the company. Maybe we'll meet again."

I'm not sure I offered a reply. I watched as he picked up his scope, walked to his car, and drove off. I stood next to my scope feeling like a complete idiot. What the hell just happened? I decided to complete my own eBird checklist before leaving. I would check later to see if he used his name when submitting his observations.

After a late supper, I walked out onto the balcony and looked out over the gentle hills as the sun sat low in the west. The evening sky was often beautiful here as the open landscape allowed for a wide view all the way to the horizon. Not like where I grew up in New Jersey and Massachusetts, where trees and buildings blocked the view.

Walking inside to my computer, I clicked on the eBird logo and went to the 'Explore' tab. After clicking a few options, I selected the hotspot labeled Long Lake NRW. There were two checklists submitted for today, that of Carl Friburger, and my own, Lena Sullivan.

Carl Friburger, what a strange dude, I thought. Strange and attractive as hell. I hadn't had a date in months and unless I spent time in bars didn't have many opportunities to meet men my age. I'd learned the guys you meet in bars are not always looking for a longer term relationship. There were a few times when I wasn't either and things worked out for a night, or two.

Chapter 3 Birding Alone?

Two days later, I got up early and drove to the wildlife refuge hoping to add to my yearly list. I'd gotten a tip from another birder that a bird I hadn't seen yet had been found in Pool 1. I'd been set up with my scope for a while when I heard a car approach on the gravel road. A glance showed the car pulling into an open spot and stop. I turned my attention back to my scope and a few minutes later heard a male voice.

"Well, we meet again."

I took my eye from the eyepiece of my scope. There he was, Carl Friburger, his physique pleasing to the eye as he strode toward me. I told myself to relax, he wasn't that good looking. I knew I was lying to myself, he was, the change in my heart rate told me as much.

We traded greetings and things went much as they had the first time; only I left first this time. We had stood next to one another for almost an hour, sharing what we saw and where. Each time I glanced at him he wasn't looking at me. I was beginning to think he was gay. It didn't seem to matter, he aroused me as few ever men had. I guessed it was because I hadn't had time, or taken the time, for a man in so long.

If there was one thing about my occupation and interests it was I was alone most of the time. My social life, if one could call it that, consisted of an occasional visit to Dickinson State University to watch a Master's, or Doctoral student present on their thesis. Boring topics to most people, including most men. But, it was intellectually stimulating and there was always the chance of meeting a man of like interests.

Over the next month it seemed Carl and I showed up often at the same place, near the same time. He asked me the fourth time we met if I was leading any tours in the near future. So, he knew of my business activity. Not a surprise seeing as how I had a website with my contact information and a list of potential future trips posted. But I was curious.

"Carl, how is it you have so much time to bird? Don't you have a job?" I asked while scanning with my binoculars.

"I do contract work from time to time. People hire me to fix things. But, to be honest, I received a substantial inheritance from my grandparents. I invested all of it and make enough money I could live on it comfortably if I wanted to. I'd just be bored if I didn't work, so I reinvest most of it."

"So, you have a college education?"

"Rutgers," he replied simply as if it didn't matter.

"Really!"

He looked at me with a smile. "You're no slouch. I know you run your own business leading birding and nature tours. You don't just sit around twiddling your thumbs."

"It keeps me occupied and I make a decent living. I'd never to be able to do this on the East coast."

"Exactly. More conservative out here in terms of politics, but the open spaces and clean air are worth a lot. I guess in a way we are both out of our normal range."

"The winters are long and cold," I said forlornly.

"I'm sure you have boyfriends to keep you company on those cold nights."

I laughed and touched his arm. He looked at me. "What's so funny?"

"You said boyfriends, not boyfriend. I only date one man at a time, and right now I'm not dating anyone."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything," I saw his face had turned red from embarrassment.

I looked at him with a grin. "What do you do on those cold nights?"

He looked at me with those soft brown eyes and grew a sly smile. "Look for a woman like you."

"Oh really! And how successful are you?" I laughed.

He looked at me with a strange expression. "Maybe it would be better if we stuck to talking about birds."

This was the first time he had ever suggested in any way he looked at me as a woman. It seemed as if I'd hit a nerve and I decided to back off. Maybe it was better to stick with birds anyway. He was a bit odd. But, it did make me wonder why he had backed off after making the comment. It suggested he wasn't gay if nothing else.

Later that day I'd decided to offer a price for the Washington contract and waited for a reply. I received confirmation of the first payment hours later. This guy really had a reputation, a nasty one. I wondered who he was rubbing the wrong way. It could be a rival gang, or even someone within his own organization who wanted to move up. That was one of the reasons I wanted to leave the business, there was always someone else eager to take their place.

I met Carl again two days later at McKenzie Slough. I told Carl I would be taking a trip and wouldn't be able to go birding with him for about a week. It had no sooner left my mouth when I realized what I had said. I seldom revealed my future plans to anyone as a matter of course.

He looked at me with an odd expression. "I'll manage."

That was the day things changed between us when he suggested we have lunch together. I agreed and a few hours later I sat a table across from him at small restaurant.

"Carl, how did you ever find yourself here? I mean there must be a reason for having come here."

"Work. I had to verify some information for a client. Then, well, I found something here I liked and decided to say for a while. I work remotely and since I'm an independent contractor. I don't need to go anywhere until I have another contract to fulfill."

"So, you aren't sure how long you'll be here?" I asked before putting another bite of fish sandwich into my mouth.

"You know people are always looking for someplace else to live or work. I'm at a point in my life where I'm looking for a place to stay. I've been a lot of places and this seems like a good time to stay for a while and see how it goes."

"Well, if you're looking for slow and mostly boring this is an ideal area."

"Well, the birding is pretty good and there are other things that may occupy my time in the future. Boring is a frame of mind and I don't mind having time to lay back for a while. I may find a cure for boredom if I keep an open mind."

I smiled at him and wanted to see if I could get a rise out of him. "If you go to bars there are always girls looking for a guy to dance and have a drink with."

He grew a frown and looked at me. "I'm a recovering alcoholic, so bars are out, girls or no girls. It's a hell I don't want to experience again after having been clean for over four years."

"Carl, I'm sorry I didn't mean to pry." If he'd been clean for that long he had the kind of discipline many people didn't have.

"I know you didn't. But, if you drink you would expect me to order a beer or something to drink if we go out to dinner tonight."

"Are you asking me out?" I replied trying not to sound too excited at the prospect.

"Yes, I guess I am. Hadn't thought of it exactly that way. But, yeah."

Dinner that night was wonderful. He took me to a nice restaurant and I had spent time getting ready and pulled the stops out wearing a short-sleeved red, lacey edged dress. I did my nails in red and applied in red lipstick. I hadn't gone out on a date like this in years and I wanted to make an impression. We spent hour talking and I told him about my parents and uncle and aunt for the first time.

We went birding together every day until I left for Washington and spent time walking and talking with several of my friends when they called and asked me what I was doing. I found his ability to engage in intelligent conversation that avoided politics and religion telling.

It seemed as if we had crossed a barrier of some sort. I certainly felt more comfortable with him, though there was little to indicate he viewed me as anything other than a birding buddy. I accepted our relationship as it was, probably a good thing for the time being. I had a contract to fulfill and once I was out of the business maybe it would be different. I'd try to build a social life and do what young women do, talk with girlfriends, and look at guys. Maybe even go back to school to get my Master's.

We talked more each time and I found he had a wonderful personality. His sense of humor struck me as mature with a hint of innuendo I found... refreshing. Still, I never noticed him undressing me with his eyes and it seemed as if he didn't notice me as a woman in a romantic sense. All the while, I certainly noticed he was a man and often fantasized about him. My sex toys had gotten a workout and I knew I was ready for a change in my life.

As I prepared to leave the night before for the state of Washington I tried to push Carl out of my mind. I had to mentally prepare for what I was about to do. I always felt remorse for a week, or two after I completed a job, then remembered how many lives I may have saved from terrible acts.

The reality was my revenge had been assuaged after Roscoe and I wanted out. My feelings and motivations had changed. I wasn't up to killing people when I could set them up for a fall and let someone else do it. I'd gotten good at it over the past three years. There was always someone willing to do it cheaper than what I charged. I made enough profit using proxies to make it worth my while, but there was risk involved and my heart wasn't in it. I wanted to be normal, whatever that was.

Chapter 4 Surveillance

It took three days of leisurely driving to reach my destination in Washington. I'd stopped and birded several times for a few hours. After arriving at my destination I'd parked my car at a secure parking garage a mile from the room I had rented. It was on the third floor of a cheap hotel across the street from my target's place of business.

I'd decided not to spend time at his home as it was well-guarded and offered poor sight lines for a long range shot. That was something most people couldn't do. I wondered why he didn't conduct his business there, but it was his decision. I'm sure he had his reasons.

Dressed to blend in with the locals, I wore jeans, red print blouse, running shoes, and carried a large cloth shoulder bag that fit under my arm, and a guitar case. It wasn't the most run down part of the city, but it was far from being at the upper end. My motel room faced the street and for the first three days I watched the movement of people in and out of the building. I paid particular attention during the noon meal. It was a time when high paying clients arrived and catered food was delivered.

There were three men posted outside the entrance to his office: one on each side of the street between one and two hundred feet away, while the third remained in the immediate vicinity of the door. The man at the door was the most noticeable as he often stopped to talk with whoever was going inside. The other men tried to blend in by walking a circuit along the sidewalk.

My target didn't make an appearance until just before ten in a black BMW each day. He was well dressed in nicely tailored shirts and pants, never wore a tie, and was in no hurry to go inside after his arrival. Something that seemed off to me. He had to know there was a contract out on him, why make himself a target? Maybe he was making a statement of some kind, but machismo had a price.

I'd been careful to watch from behind the sheer curtains as much as possible, but there were times when I had to move them aside for a better view. There was no indication anyone had noticed, which was good. I was almost out of food and needed to shop. I hoped to make the hit using my proxy within the next two days and get out.

I opened the door to my room and peered out, only an older woman walking away was in sight. I stepped out, made sure the door was locked, and placed a thin black wire against the door on the floor. Satisfied. I walked to the far stairwell, one of two at each end of the hallway, and walked down. I could have taken the elevator, but if caught inside there was no avenue of escape unless I managed to get to another floor. The elevator was old and slow; a no go unless there was no other option.

Once on the street I headed to the local market, picked through the meager collection of healthy food, and walked to the cash register where cash was readily accepted. I left disappointed, there hadn't been any fresh fruits or vegetables. I walked back to my room with my cloth shoulder bag half full. The lookout man on the other side of the street hadn't looked my way. I walked on as if I hadn't seen him. I felt a little out of place this time, noticing I was one of few white women on the street at that time of day.

I walked up the drab, dirty stairwell to the third floor, stopping at the landing before opening the hallway door. There was no sound of anyone on the stairs. I opened the door to find the hallway empty. Stopping at my door, I looked down to see the black wire standing as I had left it. I unlocked the door, retrieved the wire, and locked the door behind me. I'd made the call to the guy I had contacted to make the hit before going to bed the night before. I'd provided all the information needed to complete the job. Now all I had to do was wait to make sure the job was completed.

Sitting my bag of groceries down I walked to the window, nothing seemed out of place. Then while watching from behind the curtain I saw my target walk out with a man at his side. I waited for his car to pull up, instead, he crossed the street and disappeared from view. This didn't make sense, he had never done that before. I was certain there wasn't a business on the ground level that he would have wanted to use. I stepped forward and carefully drew the curtain back. He was entering the hotel.

I wasn't sure what to make of it and while thinking on it started to take the groceries out of the bag to place on a shelf on the wall. I heard noise in the hallway, a few male voices, than silence. I put the groceries back into the bag, a bad feeling growing. I heard a key slip into the lock on my door. I had my pistol in my cloth shoulder bag on the bed on the far side of the room and made for it knowing I was probably too late.

"Well, well. Who do we have here," a deep voice said while I was three large steps from the bed.

Too late. I wasn't going to reach my bag in time. I whirled to face the voice, trying hard to keep my composure. It was my target, his man standing behind him. I felt a surge of fear and tried to push it down. I couldn't let him see I was terrified.

"Who the hell are you? Get out!" I yelled hoping to appear I didn't know who he was, unhappy with his appearance in my room.

"Oh, come now. You know who I am," he said as he stepped inside. The door closed behind him, remaining open a crack.

"I do not. Now get out!" I replied trying to sound angry.

"Well, even if you don't, it really doesn't matter now," he said as his eyes moved from my feet to my head, and stopped at my chest before meeting my eyes.

The smile on his face was wicked, unnerving. I stood my ground. "What do you want? Why have you invaded my room," my voice uneven, my stomach in knots.

"Take off your clothes," he ordered as he advanced toward me.

I took a few steps back, then felt the wall behind me. I raised my hand to strike him, but he caught it, then pushed it onto the wall. My other hand came up, only to be grasped tightly and held. I was pinned as his body pressed against mine holding me in place.

"Get away from me," as I squirmed with all my might to no affect.

I felt him step back and release me. He looked at me with a grin. "Now, take your clothes off."

I glared at him, then with the strongest voice I had. "No, get the hell..."

The blow from his fist knocked me to the floor even though I had ducked away from its full force. I saw stars, and slowly struggled to my feet, pain shooting from my mouth and jaw.

"Start undressing, or you'll get another," he said coldly.

I knew there was no escape, he was much stronger. I knew even if I managed to dodge around him I would never open the door in time. Even if I did, his man was standing outside.

I took my hand to wipe my mouth and saw it came away with blood on it, a salty taste in my mouth. I tried hard to remain in control, to be calm and to think. I didn't have a lot of options. I'd have to go along with him until I could get to my pistol, it was the only way to even the playing field. I reached for the top button of my blouse, unbuttoned it, and then went to the next one.

I looked at his face as he grew a smile. "Now you're getting the idea."

With the final button unfastened, I took my blouse off. I started toward the bed to my shoulder bag to put the blouse down.

"Drop it on the floor," he ordered.

I dropped it and looked at him. My heart beating in my ears, my hands shaking. I was mere steps away from what I needed.

"Now the bra. I want to see those tits."

I reached behind my back and released the hooks, pulled the straps off my shoulders, and dropped it on the floor at my feet. I looked up to see his face glowing, his eyes focused on my breasts.