Phantom Ch. 03

Story Info
Introducing Dr. Benjamin Ren the Ghost Hunter and SexySophie.
4.5k words
4.43
792
1
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 10/05/2023
Created 09/25/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Phantom

By Gary L.M. Martin

Chapter 3: The Doctor

Alanna was addressing the Circle. It was her right, given her status. She was the only Phantom left in the Circle. She could have been Center, if she had wanted it; but she had let Mustafa take that honor. It was part of her penance, though he would never know it.

"He nearly succeeded," said Alanna, looking at the other kalaks around her. While Alanna was still inside of her host, Alyssa Kleinberg, the other kalaks were in their natural forms. To the unsophisticated eye, they looked like the glowing outlines of human beings, like people covered in neon paint. Brightest of all was the bluish white glow from their eyes. "He will surely try again," she said.

"He surely will," said Mustafa. It was his right, as Center, to speak first after her. "What then, shall be done?"

"We are out of ghost hunters," said Susan Woodward. Susan was one of the oldest kalaks still existing, a former 17th century school teacher in the Massachusetts Bay Colony who had a rather unfortunate encounter with Indians that was something much more sinister than the exchange of corn recipes.

"Maybe not," said Alanna. "There is the Doctor."

"The Doctor is our enemy," Mustafa intoned.

"Because we treat him as one," said Alanna.

"He has liquidated countless kalaks. What would you call him?" Bruce Collingsworth asked.

"I would call him the enemy of my enemy," said Alanna sternly. She started pacing slowly inside the Circle, giving her the opportunity to stare each of them in the eye. "He has the proven ability to track kalaks. My friends, we are out of ghost hunters, and we are out of options. The Penguin is going to destroy the world. I would call him a much bigger threat than the Doctor, by an order of magnitude."

The Circle seemed to consider. Mustafa looked at the others and finally spoke. "Even if we agreed to this, how would it be accomplished? We have sent two kalaks after the Doctor. Neither returned."

"I can do it," said Alanna. "I can bring him in."

"Can you?" Crosis Manipopolis asked.

"I'm a Phantom. The last Phantom," said Alanna, giving them all stern stares. "I can do it." She watched as she saw the members of the Circle silently consult with each other for a long moment.

Then Mustafa spoke again. "Do you think you can persuade him to find the Penguin?"

"Yes," said Alanna.

"Then it is agreed. Find the Doctor. Persuade him to locate the Penguin. After the Penguin is eliminated, then liquidate the Doctor."

"What?" Alanna cried. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. "You want me to kill the man who is going to save the world?"

"He is a grave threat to us, Alanna," said Crosis. His bright eyes shone down on her.

"No, I won't do it. I won't lead a man to his death like that," said Alanna. She watched as the Circle silently conferred with itself again.

"Very well," said Mustafa. "We will entertain... a truce. After the Penguin is eliminated, the Doctor will be free to go. However, if after the Penguin is eliminated the Doctor continues to hunt kalaks, we will feel free to return the favor."

Alanna took a deep breath and nodded. It was the best compromise she could hope for. "I will leave at once."

"And so will I," said Bruce Collingsworth.

"And I as well," said Crosis Manipopolis.

"What?" said Alanna.

"The Doctor is too formidable to take on alone. We will accompany you... to ensure his capture," said Crosis.

"His safe capture," said Alanna, glaring at the kalaks.

"Of course."

********

"Doctor, how long do we have to spend in this creepy cemetery?" Sophie Janssen asked, making a face.

Doctor Benjamin Ren looked around at Serenity Hills Cemetery in Forest Hills, Queens. Night had just fallen, and the fog had started to roll in, washing past row after row or tombstones.

"Creepy? What a puerile word!" the Doctor exclaimed. Before Sophie could respond to that, he put his hands on his hips and said, "All right, I'll play along. What's creepy about it, Sophie?" the Doctor asked.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe the tombstones? All the dead bodies?" Sophie asked, with just a trace of a Dutch accent.

"I don't see any dead bodies," said the Doctor, looking around.

"They're here," Sophie shivered.

"That's your problem," said the Doctor. "It doesn't feel creepy, it feels cold. You don't know how to dress for a cemetery," he said, looking at her tight orange shirt and short shorts. During the day it was nearly 80 degrees in Queens, but at nightfall the temperature dropped rapidly, and now it was in the 60's.

"You, on the other hand, are dressed perfectly for it," said Sophie. She looked at the Doctor's tall, black boots, his long black coat, and his floppy brown hat.

"Why thank you!" The Doctor gave a giant smile.

"It wasn't meant as a compliment," said Sophie.

They both heard a howling sound.

Sophie shivered.

"I'm sure that was just a coyote," said the Doctor. He saw her expression. "A small one. Probably a vegetarian."

"Doctor, what are we doing here?" Sophie asked.

"We're following up on that clue we found in that haunted house on Mason Street."

"Yes, the big message burned into the wall which read that Margaret Tutweiler could never rest while that house stood. And here we are, at the final resting place of Margaret Tutweiler," said Sophie, pointing to a tombstone just feet from the Doctor. "But what are we doing here?"

"Waiting," said the Doctor.

Sophie Janssen put her hands on her hips, causing the 18 year old's prominent Dutch breasts to stick out even further. "For what? Doctor don't you think it's more than a little convenient that we found that clue, written right on the wall of the abandoned home?"

"Convenient?" said the Doctor, looking around the cemetery. "I suppose so."

"Maybe even more than convenient, like we were meant to find it?" Sophie asked.

"You thought that? That was my impression too!" The Doctor grinned again.

"So you realize this is probably a trap," said Sophie.

"Yes, of course."

"Then what are we doing here?"

"Well, if this is a trap, someone has to be the bait," said the Doctor. He took a small bag out of his pocket. "Would you like a girl ball?"

"No thanks," said Sophie, hugging her arms to conserve her bodily warmth.

"Are you sure?" The Doctor popped one in his mouth. He started to suck on it. "Ummm... brunettes. I love brunettes."

"I know you do," said Sophie bitterly, touching her jet black hair. "How much longer do we have to stay here?"

"Hello, Doctor," said a new voice.

Suddenly they saw Alanna, in the body of Alyssa Kleinberg, standing twenty feet away from them. "Don't be alarmed," she said, holding out her hands. "I mean you no harm."

"Oh, I'm sure that's so," said the Doctor, with the smile. "I always trust people who start a conversation by saying they don't mean me any harm, don't you, Sophie?"

"Never," said Sophie defiantly, her hand creeping behind her back.

"Forgive my friend," said the Doctor, giving a nervous grin. "She's not as trusting as I am. What did you say you wanted again?"

"For you to come with us."

"Us?" said the Doctor.

Suddenly an apparition appeared next to Alanna, and flew towards the Doctor.

"No!" Alanna screamed, as the glowing kalak of Bruce Collingsworth flew through the air towards the Doctor.

The distance was only twenty feet, but Bruce had only gotten ten when his body was transfixed in the air by a glowing circle which appeared around the Doctor and Sophie. Bruce cried out as his body was paralyzed in midair. He struggled to get free.

"That's a psychic force field," said the Doctor. "Struggling will only make it-"

"Doctor, look out!" Sophie cried.

A second kalak came towards them, but one already inside the force field perimeter, literally coming out of the ground where Margaret Tutweiler was buried. It flew towards the Doctor and surged into his body.

"Don't hurt him!" Alanna cried. She looked at the force field between them. She was powerless to intervene. What Crosis was doing was wrong and unethical, and it violated the Three Laws. And yet, perhaps it needed to be done. Alanna watched with a certain fascination, as Crosis slowly took control of the Doctor's body. The Doctor stiffened with his arms outstretched.

"Don't fight it, Doctor," said Alanna. "We don't want to hurt you! It will all be over in a moment."

And then something very unusual happened. The Doctor moved one of his arms, slowly but certainly, so his right hand was over his left. And then he started to pull on the air around his other hand, as if pulling off a shirt. But instead of a shirt coming off, the glowing form of Crosis Manipopolis's left arm started to appear, bit by bit. First his glowing hand, then his forearm, then the rest of his arm, and finally his head and his body. Crosis, grunting with effort, was slowly but surely pulled out of the Doctor's body.

"What.... How?" Alanna had never seen anything remotely like it.

Crosis looked as surprised as she was, but only for a moment. He looked at the Doctor, and snarled, and then he set his sights on Sophie, and jumped into her body.

"No!" the Doctor cried as Sophie screamed.

Sophie, who suddenly had a pistol in her hand, suddenly froze, wide eyed. The Doctor drew his own pistol and aimed it at Sophie. "Get out! Get out of her now!"

"That would be ill-advised, Doctor," Alanna said. "We know your weapon is sometimes fatal to the host. How many people have you killed with it?"

The Doctor gave her a sideways glare. "Tell your friend to get out of my friend's body," said the Doctor.

Crosis, in response, raised Sophie's hand, the hand with the pistol in it, and aimed it at the Doctor. "Surrender," he said.

"No, Crosis!" Alanna cried.

The Doctor stared at Sophie with an appraising look. "You won't kill me. For some reason, you want me alive."

"He's right," said Alanna desperately. "Doctor, there's no need for this!"

"Then let my friend go," said the Doctor.

Alanna took in the scene: Bruce, trapped in the psychic force field between her and the Doctor; the Doctor, standing there in his long black coat, aiming his weapon at Sophie as he glared at her; and Sophie, pointing her own weapon at the Doctor.

And then Crosis, inside Sophie, rotated his gunhand and pointed the weapon at Sophie's head.

"Crosis, no, NO!" Alanna shouted.

"Give up, Doctor!" said Crosis. "Give up, or the girl dies!"

Even from this distance Alanna could see the hurt in the Doctor's eyes. "Doctor, I didn't want it to be this way."

"But it is," said the Doctor.

"Trust me. Surrender, and you won't be harmed," Alanna promised him.

The Doctor paused, considering. "If I surrender, you let the girl go."

"No!" said Crosis, through Sophie.

"Agreed," said Alanna. She looked at Crosis/Sophie. "We agree," she said again. Crosis did not waiver. Alanna said, "May I remind you, I am in command of this mission, Crosis."

Crosis/Sophie took a deep breath. "Very well." She extended a hand. "Your weapon, Doctor."

*********

The Doctor tried not to visibly react as Crosis emerged from Sophie's body. Sophie, who had been standing as still as stone with a blank expression on her face, suddenly came back to life. "Doctor... Doctor?" she said, looking a bit startled.

"It's all right, Sophie," said the Doctor.

"What's... what's happening?" She blinked rapidly. "Doctor, did I just-"

"It's all right," said the Doctor. "Go home," he said, giving a quick glance to Alanna and Bruce, who was now free of the force field.

"And what about you?"

"I'll be along," said the Doctor.

Sophie looked from the Doctor to Alanna. "No... I'm not going without you."

Alanna stepped forward. "Your friend will not be harmed."

Sophie's eyes narrowed as she stared into Alanna's, which were also Alyssa's. "You promise?"

"Yes," said Alanna.

Sophie turned to the Doctor. He gave a slight nod. She ran forward abruptly and hugged him. As she did, the Doctor found himself looking at Alanna with a cold stare.

********

Alanna stepped forward to address the Circle. "We have him. He is in reception."

"So we have heard," said Mustafa. "Good work, Alanna."

"Thank you," said Alanna.

"It has been decided that you will be the one to accompany him on this mission."

"That was always my intent," said Alanna.

"Once the mission is complete and the Penguin has been dealt with, you will dispose of him," said Mustafa.

"What?" said Alanna. "That wasn't our bargain."

"The bargain has changed," said Mustafa.

"The Doctor now knows where the Circle is located. He is a danger to us all," said Susan Woodward.

"No he doesn't," said Alanna. "I searched him for tracking devices myself. He came here blindfolded."

"Crosis informed him that he was in the Mount of Olives."

The Mount of Olives was one of the oldest cemeteries in the world. The Circle operated in catacombs deep underneath it.

"What?" said Alanna. "Why would he do that?"

"He didn't think it mattered," said Mustafa dismissively.

Alanna knew full well why Crosis had revealed their location to the Doctor. The Circle never had any intention of keeping the Doctor alive.

"This changes our agreement. I won't do it," said Alanna.

"Then we will dispose of the Doctor now," Mustafa said abruptly. He paused, watching the range of emotions on Alyssa's face. "It is your choice, Alanna."

Alanna struggled to regain self control. "My choice... to execute him now, or later?"

"We really could use his help to locate the Penguin. But we cannot allow him to roam freely with the knowledge he now possesses," said Susan. "And now that he does know our location, there is another proviso. He must be supervised more closely than we first agreed to. You must ride inside of him"

********

Doctor Benjamin Ren was led into the Circle by two kalaks. He eyed the Circle of Kalaks around him in the dark room. "Why hello there." He looked around into the darkness. "You people don't go overboard on furniture, do you?"

"Doctor Benjamin Ren," said Mustafa, his eyes glowing.

"I think you have the advantage of me, sir," said the Doctor.

"My name is Mustafa Ali," said Mustafa. "I am the Center."

"I thought I was the center," said the Doctor, as he stood in the center of the Circle.

"You have been brought here for a purpose," said Mustafa. "Alanna?"

Alanna, still in Alyssa's body, stepped forward. "Doctor, welcome."

"Oh, I feel most welcome," said the Doctor. "Did you really let my friend go, as you promised?"

"I really did, Doctor," said Alanna. She noticed the Doctor exhale with relief.

"Then what could you possibly want with my undernourished body?" the Doctor asked.

"Doctor, have you ever heard of a kalak known as the Penguin?" Alanna asked.

"I seldom get on a first name basis with the ghouls I hunt," said the Doctor.

There was an angry murmuring among the kalaks.

"We are not ghouls, Doctor," Alanna said sternly.

"You take over people's bodies, don't you? You destroy people's lives, don't you?"

"Not us," said Alanna tightly. "We obey the Three Laws."

"The Three Laws?" The Doctor gave a smile. "This sounds good. Do tell."

Alanna took a deep breath. "All kalaks are sworn to obey the three laws. The First Law of kalaks is that a kalak must never let a host become aware of its presence."

"A host? So you do take hosts?"

"On occasion," said Alanna. "But the host is never aware of it. We are simply passive riders, experiencing lives through other eyes."

"Oh, of course," said the Doctor, in a doubting tone.

"Which brings me to our Second Law. The Second Law of kalaks is that a kalak must never, ever interfere in the life of a host."

"Just as you did with me and Sophie."

Alanna took a deep breath. Crosis's impulsiveness had made the job of convincing the Doctor of her trustworthiness ten times harder. "That was an exigent circumstance, Doctor."

"I see," said the Doctor, with wide eyed sarcasm. "And tell me, what then is your third law?"

"Our Third Law is our highest law above all: that a kalak may never, ever harm a host."

"Hm," said the Doctor, pausing for a moment. Then he said, "Why do you even need a third law if you have a first and a second law? Surely if kalaks are so law abiding, and they don't make themselves known, and they don't interfere, then they're never in a position to harm anyone, right?"

"Because not all kalaks obey all the laws, and we need the laws to judge the severity of the infraction. Breaking the Second Law is bad, but breaking the Third Law is ten times worse."

"Are you saying that you... all of you...." The Doctor pointed a finger as he spun about in a circle, "Are some kind of ghoul police force?"

Alanna tried not to flinch at the mention of 'ghoul'. "We are a society, Doctor. And a civilized society regulates the behavior of its members," said Alanna.

"Oh, I'm sure you do," said the Doctor dryly.

"Unfortunately, some choose not to obey the laws. Most infractions concern the First or Second Laws."

"What do you do, dock their credit accounts if they interfere with someone's life?"

"What concerns us most at the moment is those who interfere with the Third Law, specifically a malignant kalak named the Penguin." Alanna paused. "Two weeks ago, he tried to blow up the world."

"Really? And how did that work out for him?"

"This is no joking matter, Doctor," said Alanna. "Two weeks ago, the Penguin got into a Nova Missile Command Base in North Dakota. If he had been successful in launching the missiles, Russia would have responded, and billions would have died."

"But he was not successful, was he?"

"Not this time," said Alanna. "But the Penguin is our most resourceful and dangerous enemy. He will try again."

"I thought I was your most resourceful and dangerous enemy," said the Doctor.

"You are... a challenge," said Alanna, choosing her words carefully. "But right now we need to unite to defeat a common foe. You agree with me that the Penguin should not be permitted to destroy the world?"

"Oh, definitely," said the Doctor. "I'm just wondering if you're as big a threat as he is. You see, I have some experience with... what did you call them... kalaks. Personal experiences."

"We are aware that your wife and coworkers were killed by a kalak some fourteen years ago," said Alanna. "But believe me when I say, Doctor, that we were not responsible for their deaths."

The Doctor got a faraway look in his eyes. "He said we all had to die because of my research into the nature of psychic energy. He said that I was responsible for their deaths because of my research. The death of my wife and 38 of my friends. He made me sabotage the psychic energy reactor. He made me sabotage it, then go to a hill and watch my friends die. He said he wanted me to experience the consequences of my actions before I died."

Alanna's face was taut. "Doctor... THAT... WAS... NOT... US!" Her sharp tone brought the Doctor into focus again. Her tone became softer. "Please, help us defeat the Penguin."

The Doctor looked down and scratched the back of his neck. "Suppose I do? What happens then?"

"Then?" Alanna felt a tightness in Alyssa's chest. "Then... you will be free to go."

"Free to go." The Doctor nodded slowly, as if he were thinking about it. "So... you will just release me, you'll set me free right now, knowing the location of your home base, and trust me not to take action against it?"

12