Pink Lemonade Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Is that a threat?" Sharples asked.

"Why, no." I said. "It's a prediction. You crossed the line tonight, Sharples. You're done. Your past history of moving from one position, from Department to Department, from Texas to Missouri to Midtown to here... will not go further. I'm going to end your career here, tonight. Formal criminal charges will be filed against you for putting an officer's life in danger."

"None of that will ever stick." Sharples said.

"In addition," I said, leaning in and boring down on him, "I believe you had something to do with SBI Agent Reubens's death in Coltrane County. I intend to file murder charges against you. Then the SBI will be looking to put a bullet in your head."

"You'll never prove that." Sharples said.

"We'll see." I said as I turned off the anti-bugging device. I picked up the phone on the table and called the Chief's office. Within seconds, everyone was back inside except Curly Goodwin. I called the Duty Desk and had them bring the Union rep to the room. He was steaming mad.

"Chief Bennett," he thundered, "do you know what I'm going to do to you for this?"

"Shut the fuck up, asshole." I said. "I am the one who barred your entry, not the Chief. And I'm telling you that in front of all these witnesses, so do with it what you will."

"Then I'll have your fucking badge, Troy." snarled the Union rep, but his face showed he sensed that it was different, this time.

"You're going to have a bad headache if you don't shut the fuck up." I said, my voice quiet and even. "Here's the deal: Leonard Sharples violated protocols and put the life of another police officer in exceptional and mortal danger. He left the scene instead of staying to help his fellow officer. He is suspended, completely suspended, and without pay."

I continued: "In addition, Sharples's employment with the Town & County Police Force is hereby terminated. His gun and badge will be taken from him before he gets out of his chair. He will be escorted out of these Headquarters and not permitted to return. You can grieve it, you can sue me over it, but he is finished as a Police Officer in the Town & County Police Force."

"Chief, are you in agreement with this jerk's assumptions?" sneered the Union rep.

"I'll shoot Sharples myself rather than let him return to active duty here, ever." said Bennett, surprising me with his vehemence.

Just then Deputy Chief Brownlee entered the room. "Detective Sharples, are these people harassing you?" asked Brownlee.

"Commander," said the Union rep to Brownlee, "don't make this worse than it is. Let's go outside for a moment." I have to admit I was in shock at that. Did the Union rep really realize how bad this one was for his client?

I gave the long-suffering Lt. Teresa Croyle the gift of disarming Sharples and confiscating his badge. She and Cindy escorted him out of Headquarters.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I called John 'Jack' Colby and secured a large table at the Country Breakfast Diner, then had everyone go there for breakfast, on my tab. The only 'problem' was that Jack Colby would try his damnedest to not give me the bill, and he would succeed.

Lorena Rose was recovering well, and I was impressed how Teresa and Cindy knew what buttons to press to get her spirits back up. The only person not eating was me. I was sitting at the end of the table, in and out of reveries. Cindy was sitting next to me, and of course she noticed.

"You okay, Don?" she asked.

"Yeah." I said. "I am just sitting here wondering why in the hell Sharples did that."

"To be honest, I'm glad he did." said Teresa, who was sitting on my other side and across from Cindy. "He's gone now. If the Union says he has to come back, I'll shoot him myself. I'm done with him."

"You won't have to do that." I said. "I cut off his computer access, did it myself. If the Union wants a piece of someone, it'll be me they have to go for, and I'll kill him before you do if that is what it takes."

"So why did he do it?" Cindy asked, getting my trains back on the right tracks. "Think Lorena was getting too close to something he was involved with?"

"No." I said. "I think he was told to do it. To create a distraction. I also am wondering why Brownlee came in so late to the party and injected himself into the whole thing." We had no real answer for that one.

I did get to speak to Lorena for a few moments.

"I guess I can't do undercover anymore." she said forlornly.

"Noooo, at least not like you were doing." I said. "But you're still a good Detective and have a good career ahead of you. Brush this one off, and keep on driving on."

Lorena said "I was talking to some of the others. Will it help to make a sexual harassment complaint against Sharples?"

"You know," I said, "it damn well might..."

Part 17 - The Rose and the Thorn

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely reporterette on Monday morning, August 17th, looking like she wanted to perform fellatio on the big, thick microphone she was holding as she stood in front of Police Headquarters.

"Channel Two News has learned that Detective Leonard Sharples was fired for cause over the weekend. The Police Union has filed a grievance, which will be heard on an expedited basis at 10:00am this morning. The grievance filed by the Captain's Union on behalf of Deputy Chief Brownlee was upheld earlier this week, and the Union's record of successes against the Police Department and Town & County Council is extremely impressive, leading experts to agree that this will also be upheld."

"Who are these 'experts'?" I wondered out loud, not really paying attention.

"She has no fucking clue what she's talking about." Cindy said to me as we drank coffee in my office. My desk was littered with papers compiled over the weekend. Witness statements, Sharples' previous record at other Police Departments, and everything I could think of was being put together. Cindy and I were wearing our Formal uniforms for the hearing, including our Medals of Valor. Teresa was also in Formal attire with her Purple Order around her neck. We were going all out for this one.

"She wants to create drama and tension." I said. "That's what Media people do." Have I mentioned that I am not a fan of the Press?

At 8:00am, Priya Ajmani delivered KSTD's report. She didn't say a word about Sharples, nor her own misadventures over the weekend. She did mention that Robert Brownlee had been reinstated, and then mentioned a big rally in Midtown where SBI Director Jack Lewis was expected to announce his candidacy for Governor.

"Can it get worse?" Cindy asked.

"Yes." I said. "Let's deal with one thing at a time."

At 10:00am, the hearing was convened in Classroom 'J', which had been converted to look like a trial court, with a table on the dias for the Arbiter, tables for our side and for the Union, and chairs set up behind for the viewing audience. Several Town & County Council members were here: Jack Colby, Dagmar Schoen, Kelly Carnes, Pastor Westboro, Thomas P. Cook, and Malinda Adams... who surprisingly was on our side, supporting the women in the sexual harassment issue of the case. The Chief was here, in his formal uniform. Deputy Chief Brownlee was also in attendance, but in a normal duty uniform which looked less than crisp, and he wore no jacket nor medals.

Paulina Patterson and I were at our table. Paula was dressed to the nines in a dark blue suit with light blue blouse and high heel dark blue pumps. By way of contrast, Sharples was dressed in his trenchcoat and rumpled shirt and slacks. The Union rep had on cheap but ordinary suit. When the Union rep saw me fully attired with medals, he looked a bit shocked, and I knew my psychological ploy was working: he knew I was going for the 'kill' on this one.

Still, it was me who was somewhat shocked when the Union rep opened the proceedings by saying "Mr. Arbiter, before we begin the proceedings, we wish to make an offer: if the firing is dismissed and all charges dropped, including the false sexual harassment charge, Detective Sharples will resign from the Police Force, effective immediately."

The Arbiter looked over at our table. Paulina was gaping, totally blindsided. I was still thinking clearly:

"No." I said loudly. "He has to be fired, it has to be part of his record. I am prepared to show his career of repetitive failures at many Police Departments. The cycle has to stop, and it has to stop here. He nearly got my officer killed, and allowing him to resign might end up getting a Police Officer somewhere else killed because of him."

"Commander," said the wizened arbiter, grinning slyly "do you realize that I might very well rule in his favor and you'll be forced to keep him on your Police Force?"

"If you do, then this case will go to Court, and before a full Jury," I said, "because Sharples is not coming back to this Police Force under any circumstances."

"The parties have agreed to this arbitration hearing." said the arbiter, beginning to frown as he realized that, this time, it was different. "Are you saying you will not respect my ruling?"

"I did not agree to this hearing; my presence here is compulsory." I said. "And ears are to hear with: I will not abide by any ruling that does not result in the firing of Leonard Sharples. He will not come back to this Force. I will add that this is for his own protection; I cannot protect his life from other officers that intend to kill him if he returns."

The arbiter was not the only one in total shock at that one. Even Paulina was gaping at me, and the Union rep and Sharples were astounded that I would say something like that out loud. But I think the arbiter saw Teresa's face, Lorena's face, and Cindy's... and he knew that I was not making an idle, empty threat.

"We'll see about that." said the arbiter, his face no longer showing arrogance. "I do agree with you, Commander, that Mr. Sharples cannot return. But I accept the offer of the Union that Mr. Sharples will tender his immediate resignation, and it will be accepted by the Town & County Council and Police Force. In fact, I see the resignation letter here, and I will accept it on the County's behalf. This hearing is concluded." The arbiter struck his gavel, gathered his things, and quickly exited the room.

"Captain Ross, get that fat piece of shit out of here." I ordered, not really happy but not very upset, either. "He is no longer a police officer, and will only be allowed in this building if he is being jailed for a crime." Cindy and Teresa moved quickly to escort Sharples out of my sight, the Union rep closely following.

As I walked down the hall to my office to take off the jacket and the M.O.V., I heard a loud cheer erupt from Vice as they were given the news. Malinda Adams, walking beside me, heard it also.

"Well, Commander," she said, "it looks like you have a happy Police Force again. And by the way, I think you made that speech just to get the arbiter to go along with the resignation."

"Yes ma'am, I have a happy Police Force." I said. "But no, I wanted Sharples fired."

"You would've won, but it would not have mattered." said Malinda. "You have a good day, Commander. And let's have lunch sometime."

"Uh, okay, sure." I said, stunned by that invitation as Councilwoman Adams walked down the hall with the other Council members...

Part 18 - Revenge of the Fat Boy

I saw what Malinda was talking about when Cindy burst into my office at 3:00pm and rushed to turn on the television.

A press conference was underway in Midtown, where a beaming SBI Agent Richard 'Dick' Ferrell of the SBI's Narcotics Task Force was making an announcement, his mustache a little less droopy than normal.

"I am very pleased to announce the addition of Sergeant Sharples to the Narcotics Task Force!" Ferrell announced as Sharples stood by his side. "Agent Sharples brings years of drug interdiction experience to the NTF, and will be a tremendous asset to us in the War on Drugs in this State!"

"Are you fucking kidding me?" asked a disbelieving Cindy Ross as she turned off the television at the conclusion of the press conference. "Don? Why are you laughing?"

"I can't help it!" I said between gasps and fits of laughter. "This is just too rich!" Cindy just stared at me, then began laughing herself, though not as hard. Finally, I was spent. I realized I had fallen into the fit of laughter because my emotions were just spent.

"Think we can get the SBI to take Brownlee?" I asked.

"Don't I wish." she replied.

Because of the hearing, the meeting of "Crowbar's Angels" had been postponed. I called Teresa and Tanya in to have it now.

"Where is Theo Washington? And Teddy Parker?" I asked. "I haven't seen them all morning."

"They're investigating a body that was found at Crown Chemicals." said Tanya Perlman. "It was soaking in sulfuric acid in a 55-gallon drum. It likely was taken there and dropped off. Head and hands cut off, just a torso and legs. Black male, late 20s to early 30s. Maybe a DNA match will give us something."

"I've put out feelers among the C.I.s." said Teresa. "But with all that with Lorena exploding, it may be some time before things calm down enough for info on any missing person trickles out."

"Hoo boy..." I said. "So we have our Headless Horseman, we have Reubens, and what else?"

"Priya." said Tanya Perlman. "Since she woke up in her bed with no memory of anything from the time she left Senator Woodburn's home, and since she appears to be physically unharmed, KSTD is suggesting that our investigation of her disappearance be put on the back burner. But Senator Woodburn is having none of that, and is demanding that we press forward with it." I noted a funny look on Tanya's face.

"And what else?" I asked.

"Not much gets by you, Commander." Tanya replied, looking worried. "Senator Woodburn has also demanded that Internal Affairs investigate you over the kidnapping. She claims that you, she and Priya were at her office just prior to Priya's disappearance, and that you might be involved with it."

"For crying out loud!" gasped Cindy. "He was at home when it happened! Jenna and I were there, too."

"True." I said, understanding Woodburn's motives. "Tanya, do go to I.A., and tell Curly Goodwin to take it to Inspector General Horace Wellman. The best way to defeat Woodburn is by fully complying with her absurdity on this. Oh, be sure to tell Curly to interview Bowser to prove that I was at home."

"I dunno, they'll just say Bowser is biased." Cindy replied. The rest of the meeting was filled with even more absurd jokes, with which I will not abuse the readers' sensibilities...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tuesday morning, August 18th. At 10:00am I got a text, whose author was a shock to me. I was asked to come to Courthouse Square. I asked Cindy if she'd like some brunch at a bistro with me.

As we settled down, Cindy and I were both looking around, a habit of wary police officers. I noticed several of the Town's more elderly citizens in the Square, whether sitting on benches feeding birds, or seeming to be chatting. I did not see Old Mrs. Boddiker, though.

And then the person who texted me came up: it was Priya Ajmani. She sat down with us, holding a manila envelope that was bulging with papers. Cindy's eyes were glowing as she looked up and down the lovely Indian woman's sexy body.

"Hello, Commander, Captain." Priya said. "I'm sure you're surprised to hear from me, and this is entirely off the record."

"Entirely off the record." I replied. "So why did you want us to meet you here?"

"First, I wanted to thank you for coming to rescue me." said Priya. "I'm not sure what happened, but you did try to warn me, and then you came to get me before I came to harm. I'm not sure what might have happened if you hadn't have found me."

"I am sure," I said, "and it would not have been good. Too bad your story on those assassinations has now been squelched by your editors at KSTD. So what's in that envelope that you want to give me?"

"How does he do that?" Priya asked Cindy, who just shrugged her shoulders. "Yes, this is for you, and it's the second reason I wanted to meet you here. Your former colleague, Sergeant Sharples, sent me this information." She extended the manila envelope to me.

I examined the contents. "Oh, crap." I muttered. "Priya, are you sure it was Sharples that sent it to you?"

"Had his name on the envelope." Priya said. "Also, a text telling me where to find it came from his personal cellphone. He'd left it in a locker at the bus station, and told me to get the key from the coffee shop attendant there."

I handed the envelope to Cindy. She looked at the contents, her face growing grim as she read it. She handed the envelope back to me as she said "You know better than me what to do with this."

"Are you going to run with this, Priya?" I asked. I was not dumb enough to believe Priya didn't make copies of what was on those pages.

"No, not directly." said Priya. "But my editors started verifying the information this morning. That is going to set off alarm bells, and who knows if KXTC or someone else might also get onto it. You were right in your press conference that we in the Media are an incestuous bunch that work together behind the scenes more than people realize."

"And when it comes to the Government, stories like this are just red meat for the Press." I said. "Okay, Priya, thank you for bringing this to me. Cindy, we need to be going."

"Why are there so many old people out today?" Priya asked, looking around. "The Community Center being renovated?"

"You're the reporter." I replied. "Maybe that's a story for you to look into." Cindy's face looked uncomfortable as I said that.

"By the way, Captain," Priya said to Cindy, "I've never had the chance to congratulate you on your promotion. I'd love to interview you about your rise through the Force. It'd be a great story for Women's Empowerment."

"Thank you." Cindy said as Priya extended her card and Cindy took it. We made our goodbyes and left, walking back to the Station, the envelope secured under my arm. I could feel the many eyes of the citizens on us as we strode west along the sidewalk towards City Hall.

"Gonna give Priya that interview?" I teased my partner. "That was her personal card, not her professional one. I suspect the interview she wants is not one KSTD will be showing on the air."

"Not much gets by you. So I guess I should investigate and find out, like the good police officer that I am." Cindy said, her ice-blue eyes sparkling.

"Absolutely." I replied. "By the way, have you looked at the Coltrane County footage that was sent to us?"

"No." Cindy said. "I know you were doing it, and I've been putting out fires and helping Tanya with the investigation of that body found at Crown Chemicals."

"I sent you an email about specific videos to watch." I said. "Why don't you do that while I go make a quick visit to my favorite University professor?"

"Sure." Cindy said. "Tell Laura I said 'hello'."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Daddy!" exclaimed Carole as I came into Laura's office, having called her beforehand. My daughter was sitting on Laura's desk, and her lovely mother in her chair behind the desk.

"Hi Carole!" I said, picking Carole up and giving her a big hug. "How are you doing?"

"Good!" Carole exclaimed as she hugged me. "You talk to Mommy."

"Yes, honey," said Laura, "Daddy and I are going to talk while you play and be a good girl in the nursery, okay?"

"Okay!" Carole said. I put her down and she tottered through the door to the nursery. Laura activated the audio monitor so she could hear what was going on in there.

"What's up?" she asked me.

"Sit down for this one." I said quietly. When Laura re-seated herself behind the desk, I handed her the package from Priya.