Pirates of The Sea

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Solomon gave me a look that was pitying. As if my statement was that of a fool. "Very well." Solomon waved suddenly. "Come on Celene."

"Who's Celene?" asked Cold Eyes.

Solomon held up a hand to stop her question. Around a corner came a beautiful negro woman with typical black hair, caramel colored skin, liquid brown eyes, generous curves, and a facial expression that told us she was completely out of her element.

"Tell me you're not taking slaves Solomon," said Cold Eyes.

"My lady, I'm insulted! I have done terrible things in my life, and proudly admit to all of them! But slaving? Never! Even pirates have standards," said Solomon.

"Then who is she?" I asked.

"Her name is Celene."

"How did you meet her?" asked Cold Eyes.

"Scouting the sugar plantations."

"And you kept her?" I chimed in.

"Originally I only intended to land her in Nassau but she has something that caught my attention. Which is why I am in Tortuga. Looking for some help."

I did not like the sound of that. "With what?"

"Celene?" he turned to her.

"I used to serve in the house of a plantation owner," said Celene. She had a French accent, mixed with what I guessed was a native African accent. Her accent blend was a sign she had been brought to this world young. "I grew up there as a slave. The master is a rich, wealthy man who does business with the sugar merchants and slave traders in the Caribbean."

"A sad fate," said Lawrence.

"I bore my master no ill will," said Celene. "I knew kindness and fair treatment for much of my life."

"Let me guess," said Cold Eyes. "You were well treated as a girl but then you became a woman."

Celene looked at Cold Eyes in surprise but nodded. "Yes. Once I was a woman grown, things began to change. After my twenty-first birthday the master began using me-"

"We don't need to hear about that. Sadly we all can figure out what happened, and it's nothing any of us would ever condone," I said to the woman. Saying that made me remember my stepmother's fate, which made me feel guilty for a momet. But I pushed that thought aside and spoke again. "A man who keeps slaves is a bastard."

"A man who abuses them is the worst kind of scum," added Cold Eyes.

Solomon nodded approvingly. "Go on Celene."

"I became the master's favorite for his personal use. In spite of him using me, I did not bear him any ill will. He was not rough or brutal, you see. Things still stayed acceptable to him until I became pregnant. That angered the master. His wife was not to know of his transgressions behind her back. She herself was pregnant with his second child at the time. So I was moved to the fields to hide my pregnancy, then once my baby was born it was taken from me despite my pleas," Celene's eyes filled with tears but she blinked them away. "I refused to serve him in the way he desired after that. So he had me beaten. Then he sold my mother. My father is long dead. So finally he gave my son to the slavers to put on the market."

"Then I met her," Solomon now entered as Celene was clearly close to breaking down. "I want to raid the sugar plantations. Those owners are rich and building mansions that are equal to what they lived in back in the old world. Not to mention the sugar itself being almost more valuable than tobacco, cotton, or fur. But these plantations are guarded heavily. So while I was searching around, under the guise of being a merchant looking to haul sugar myself, I met her crying in a shed."

"And you stole her?" asked Tomwise.

"Nothing so dramatic. I asked what her problem was. She gave me the same story she just gave you. I waited until nightfall, snuck back onto the plantation and got her from the slave quarters, took her to the Silk Road and brought her with me from there on in."

I had been moved by Celene's story. But now my gaze returned to Solomon Kane, and my mistrust with it. "And you decided to help her out of the goodness of your heart?"

Solomon laughed. "While I have hate for slavery and the way the slaves are often treated, no this isn't my good deed for, well, for the first time in my life," he laughed again. "She knows everything about this plantation and it's owner, how much sugar he currently has stockpiled, how many slaves he has, how rich the piece of shit is. She wants him ruined in exchange for the selling of her mother, her son, and the years she spent being raped and not knowing any better. In exchange for helping ruin the bastard and freeing all the slaves, all the sugar and anything of value goes to the pirates."

I wanted to sneer at him but I couldn't for two reasons. One, my own desire for revenge on my late father was similar to Celene's for her former owner. And two, it WAS a good idea. It was just Solomon Kane presenting it that bothered me.

"So you came looking for help?" asked Cold Eyes.

"The sugar plantation owner, some French fuck named Jean-Pierre, has about two hundred men. More than my ship's crew can handle. So I am looking for some aid to raid this plantation. I've struck out in Nassau, so I came to Tortuga. I've been in town for four days when I saw the Defiance out in the harbor beside the fearsome looking Death's Hand. I came looking for Cap'n Cold Eyes. I never expected you," he looked me in the eyes. "To be the Cap'n of the Death's Hand. But if your reputation is true, I will gladly have you both on. I'd like to hire both of you on for an equal share."

I grimaced. The last thing I wanted was to take a job from Solomon Kane. Serious haul or not, I didn't want to have anything to do with him. But a glance around the table told me that Lawrence, Tomwise, McGaragle, Patrick and Roddy all looking interested. Cold Eyes looked from Solomon to Celene, her face giving nothing away. Someone had to speak and I spoke first. "How much sugar are we talking?"

"Enough to stuff the holds of Silk Road, the Death's Hand, and the Defiance. He's waiting for a big fleet of ships to sail down and collect his massive cargo."

"So this is time sensitive?" Cold Eyes asked.

"Yes it is. That's everything. Massive sugar raid, plus everything in the mansion. Free the slaves, ruin the slaver, likely kill his men. Walk away with a huge prize."

I looked at Cold Eyes. "What do you think?"

She returned the look with a slight smile. "What do you think? And don't be jealous that someone else can come up with a smart plan."

"I'm not so egotistical," I said with a fake huff.

"A far cry from when I first met you," said Solomon. "Back then you would throw drinks in my face for a small insult."

"Be quiet Solomon if you want our help," said Cold Eyes before I could respond. She looked at me. "You know schemes best Leo. What do you think?"

I took a breath. Here was what Lawrence always warned me about. They all thought I could figure anything out. Even Cold Eyes. I began addressing the facts. "She knows everything about the plantation. With three crews, especially our three crews, we can take the two hundred men if we attack by surprise. Do you have a plan at present?" I asked Solomon.

He glanced at Celene. "Truth be told, I'm not so much a planner. I would sneak our crews ashore and attack in the middle of the night, with surprise like you mentioned."

"That could work," I begrudgingly conceded "But not without a distraction."

"What if we had our ships rain fire down on the plantation?" asked Cold Eyes.

"Not possible," I said. "We can't shoot the storehouse and ruin the prize. Nor can we aim for the mansion and wreck whatever of value is there. And aiming for the plantation's troop barracks could lead to stray shots hitting the slave barracks and killing the slaves we're trying to free."

"Fuck," she growled.

"Our best plan," I said speaking to everyone. "Is to go ashore under cover of darkness. We land all our fighting men on the beaches. Then we take the plantation mansion and raise some hell. The slave enforcers will rush to the aid of the paymaster. Once the slave guards are out in the open, we meet them with musket fire and swords. From there, Celene will free all the slaves and arm them. The slaves, we can hope, will attack the guards from behind while we hold the back in the front. We crush them in a pincer movement. We kill them all. Then we make off with everything. And," I said with a quick side glance to Cold Eyes. "We, meaning myself and Cap'n Cold Eyes, came back from our most recent haul with an intact ship that we could place a few sailors on and give to the slaves. We could stuff more sugar onto that ship, then once we've sold our plunder and you've learned to sail it, it's all yours."

Celene's jaw fell. "Our own ship?"

"To take you wherever you want to go. Back to Africa if you should desire it."

Everyone's eyes, even Solomon's, were on me in surprise that was rapidly shifting to approval.

"Aye, that sounds like a plan," said McGaragle. "And we get to kill some bastards. Never liked the French."

"Works for me Cap'n," said Patrick.

"A good plan," said Tomwise.

"Not bad Sanfino," said Lawrence. "You continue to amaze."

"There's a reason I like you," said Cold Eyes giving me loving eyes. I returned her gaze the same.

"Cap'n Sanfino," said Solomon, drawing my eyes from my love. "I apologize for any insult I gave you when we first met."

"Apology accepted," I replied to him.

"Thank you sir," said Celene looking at me.

"How long do we have, Solomon?" Cold Eyes asked.

"Merchant fleet is coming in two weeks."

"That should be enough time," I said. "Some minor repairs have to be made to the merchant ship in question. As well as extra weapons for the slaves."

"I've already arranged the weapons," said Solomon. "I have a contact who deals in military grade firearms, usually for the British. He's provided me with trunks of muskets, powder, and shot. I came here looking for aid for the raid itself."

"And you've found it," I said standing up. "Tomorrow we'll begin work on repairing the merchant ship. Once it's fully repaired we will set sail. You have my word, Captain Kane, that we are with you. But if this is some kind of trap or leading to a double cross, I will show you how real my new reputation is." I gave him a the same glare I'd given, and cowed my dead stepmother with. He only laughed and then toasted me. I didn't expect to cow him the same way but I was not joking. If you fuck me over Solomon Kane, I thought, the way I put you to death will make my father and Major Fieldmen's respective deaths seem merciful. I knew Cold Eyes was giving me disapproving looks but I ignored them.

Solomon finally realized I was serious. He stood up, much taller than me. He had to be six-foot five. "You don't need to speak threats, Cap'n Sanfino. I know perfectly well what betraying you will cost me." Solomon glanced at Cold Eyes, who was still sat in her chair. His eyes returned to me. "While I admit I don't much care for you, I respect what you've built yourself. And I respect her. So you have nothing to fear from me. But since we're exchanging pleasantries, let me return the favor for you Cap'n Sanfino. You double cross me and I will show you what I learned from the Chinese on how to deal with betrayers."

I could only imagine what that implied. I knew nothing about that part of the world. So I nodded. "Then we have an accord, Cap'n Kane."

"We do indeed, Cap'n Sanfino."

"Oh enough of your posturing!" said Cold Eyes as she got to her feet. "We're with you Solomon," she said to him. Then she took my arm. "And I'm tired and ready to retire for the night."

Some of the amorous feelings I'd been trying to push down returned with that statement. "Very well, M'lady the Cap'n Cold Eyes. Good evening Cap'n Kane, miss Celene, and the rest of you. We begin work tomorrow."

Chapter 3: The Truth Behind Her Cold Eyes

Cold Eyes and I retired to the room we'd bought for ourselves for the night. Room six of the Captain's Call, which was the same room we'd first made love in after my Havana scheme. The tavern was only slightly less loud with the door closed. There was clearly a whore plying her trade in the next room if the moans were any indication. "I was not expecting how tonight would go," I said aloud.

"Nor I," said Cold Eyes.

I turned to face her but there was no lust in her eyes. So, she wanted to talk. "If I said something down there-"

"Everything you said made sense," she cut me off. "But you clearly still don't like Solomon Kane one bit. The threats weren't needed."

"On the contrary, M'lady my love." I only called her 'M'lady my love' when we were alone. "Pirates are prone to betray each other. The myths of the Brethren of the Coast being all for one died when Captain Morgan turned on his own crews. Ben Hornigold's Flying Gang of Nassau emulated it for a time but the Flying Gang has fallen to pieces. Black Sam Bellamy went to Davy Jones locker. Hornigold might still be respected but he's not the man he used to be. Blackbeard, Charles Vane, Calico Jack, Black Bartholomew Roberts, they've all broken out for themselves alone. Solomon Kane does not strike me as someone who would be all for one. No, I haven't forgotten him beating me into the sand in Nassau. But that was not why I said what I said."

"Well I trust Solomon Kane."

I sat down on the bed. "Why? What is he to you?"

Her glare returned. "That's not your business. I've had men before you, you know."

She was being evasive. I could tell. "Of course you have," I nodded in agreement. "I'd be astounded if someone as beautiful as you hadn't had men before I entered your life. Should you outlive me, I fully expect you to have men after me."

"Don't talk like that Sanfino."

"Brianna," I said slowly. I rarely use her real name. Only when we're alone. And only when I need her to listen to me. Her eyes narrowed as I spoke it but I don't let that stop me. "I am in no way jealous of Solomon Kane anymore. Nor do I measure myself up to him. After everything I went through for you, I do not feel the need to justify myself by comparing myself to anyone else. I'm not jealous of who you've had in your bed in the past either. I wasn't a virgin when you came at me in this very room. But Solomon Kane knows your real name, something you wouldn't tell me. Or anyone else besides Lawrence. I'm asking you to tell me what it is he did to earn your undying trust."

"It's highly personal."

"I don't doubt that. I can only assume it relates to that life you told me you abandoned. How did you describe it to me? You were rich gentry that was forcibly betrothed to a detestable noble who cheated on you every day during your engagement and into your marriage. How anyone could desire more than you, I'll never know. You returned the favor by cheating yourself and you found yourself in the wrong. You wanted a better life for yourself."

"I'm impressed you remembered all that."

"I consider you the most important thing in my life, Brianna. I make it a point to remember most of what you tell me."

She melted a little at that. "You asked me how I became a pirate," she said.

"And you told me that while I had earned your respect, I only got one question. Do I get to ask another now? I hope I've earned it."

She sat down beside me. "You've more than earned it. What do you want to know?"

I'd pondered these questions a lot once we'd become lovers. All I knew of her past was what she'd stated to me in this room. But I couldn't just go drudging up her life at any given moment. I had to wait for the right moment. But now she was asking me to ask. "You said you're rich gentry? My father forcibly educated me on a lot of the high-born in London. Which family do you have the misfortune of descending from?"

She laughed at the way I phrased it. "My family name is Deckett. Brianna Deckett."

I knew the name. The Decketts were indeed rich genty, with wealth that traced back to fortunes made during the Middle-Ages. "You were not kidding about the rich part."

"No. My family has been wealthy for hundreds of years, since we survived the Black Death and wound up owning God only knows how much land when lords and peasants were dying in rows during the plague. Asher Deckett was a intelligent man who sized deeds to massive amounts of land in England and then sold the land to new nobility during the years following the Black Death. He had a sheriff on his side for legal advice and clerks in the king's court whom he bribed to forge documents. He went from land speculator to rich land owner in two years, then titanic rich gentry within another two years. My family's wealth is built on the stolen land from those who perished during the Black Death. Not something worth bragging about."

"Your ancestor built his fortune on the bones of the dead, in other words."

"Pretty much. From there it was all upward. Even though England's many conflicts. Those it had with itself, with the Scots, with the Irish, with the Spanish, and with the French. No matter what happened, my family found a way to prosper. At least until dear Cromwell. The Decketts nearly lost everything during Cromwell's republic. He was no fan of my family's and wanted us gone, like most of the aristocracy. We barely escaped death. But the Decketts survived and we were restored when the monarchy was restored, for we were always loyal to the royal blood. With commerce becoming the lifeblood of privilege, we entered trade with the New World's discovery. We made more money. I grew up in that life. I was a pampered little princess who had everything she ever could have wanted as a child. I had no idea I would be pawned in an advancement marriage. No matter how rich we became, the Decketts were could never cross into genuine nobility. Marriage was the only hope. So my dear father agreed to betrothed me to the son of Lord Albert Cranston."

I knew that name as well. The Cranstons were old nobility, having lands and holdings that went back to before William the Conqueror had conquered England. The modern Cranstons made their names in Britain's colonies and at sea within the Royal Navy. There were powerful, rich, and well connected. "Albert Cranston's son, Joshua Cranston, was a lout and a cretin," Cold Eyes went on. "Who saw himself as entitled to whatever he desired. Be that material possessions or people. He would buy servants away from other families if he thought they were better. I later learned he'd forced himself on several wives of fellow nobility to prove he was better than their husbands! Right out of King John's playbook, having the wives of his men right in front of his men! And that's who I was forced to marry."

The last thing she would ever want was someone's pity, I knew. I simply put an arm around her shoulders and waited for her to go on. After a moment she finally did continue. "Joshua Cranston was the most disgusting, vile, obnoxious human being I've ever had the misfortune to lay my eyes on. He hurt me several times in ways no one should endure. He was unfaithful more times than a dog has fleas. I finally had enough after three years, during which I was blamed for not conceiving his heir. Maybe if he'd save some for me instead of spreading it around in his whores or during his rapes, he'd have been able to father. But the again, if he had I'd likely still be in London enduring him. No, that's no the case. I'd have killed him by now for sure. In any case, I was miserable, lonely, lacking anyone who care for my plight. My family was deaf to my concerns for my marriage had opened doors to them that were previously locked tight. And his family did not like me. They called me a social climber who whored herself for her family. Typical of aristocrats, angry at those who dare to try and make themselves better off. We're supposed to accept our place in the mud at their feet."

"I had the same feelings as I ran away from my father. But you had it so much worse."