Playing the Part Ch. 01

Story Info
He meets his leading lady.
2.9k words
4.6
14.3k
36
0

Part 1 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/03/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Octave888888
Octave888888
1,165 Followers

This story revolves around a fictional musical, but there may be references to other, real musicals. Obviously I own none of them.

1. All characters are 18+

2. No characters represent real people

3. Enjoy the fiction

--

CHAPTER 1

--

I honestly couldn't believe it. Next to Kenneth was my name, Patrick Gunderson.

My escape from my regular 9-to-5 office job was musical theater. I wasn't a super-talented singer and performer, but I was good enough to grab small roles in our local community theater group, which put on musicals a few times a year. I'd been involved since high school, singing in background chorus roles, and now at 25, I was usually the lead character's servant, or brother, or some other supporting role.

But now I was being cast as Kenneth. The male lead. In the summer season's musical, "The Revelation of Eloise". Don't bother looking it up, it's not a very well-known musical. But I was the lead! For four weekends in July and August, I would be Kenneth.

I was still dizzy with joy when I heard from behind me, "What the fuck?" It was Betsy Taylor. She was very talented, almost always got lead roles in the musicals in our small suburban theater. She was one of those who thought she should be on stage in the big city. But she was still here, so apparently the big city disagreed.

Pendleton was a small town, around 4000 people. There was one high school, a handful of restaurants, and two supermarkets. It was one of those towns where people tended to find their niche and stay forever, even though the city was only an hour away. Even people like me who'd been to college tended to move back. Also, no one here ever called it by its name, it was just 'the city'.

Betsy was also a notorious diva bitch. I'd went on one date with her in high school. She was cute, so what was the harm? That one date was more than enough to tell me I was definitely not interested.

"Who the fuck is Serena Walters?" she yelled, at no one in particular. I looked again at the casting list. Next to Eloise, the female lead, it did say Serena Walters. I looked for Betsy's name. It wasn't there among the main cast. She was listed as "Chorus/Understudy" near the bottom.

Betsy shot me an angry glare, then stomped off. I was also confused. Usually, the community theater's lead roles were given to people who were born and bred Pendleton-ites. People everyone knew. But I'd never heard of Serena.

I would need to get to know her. As her counterpart, I'd be singing with her, dancing with her, and kissing her. In front of audiences of people.

I found Chuck nearby, the director. He smiled at me and shook my hand warmly. "Congratulations, Pat!"

"Thanks, Chuck," I said, smiling back. "Who's Serena Walters? Did she move here recently?"

"She's from the city, Pat. She's been on stage in big-time shows there. I'm really glad to have someone of her caliber joining us way out here!"

"She's a star in the city? What is she doing here?"

Chuck shrugged. "Not sure, really. I didn't ask. She just showed up at the audition. But that's why Betsy is an understudy. If Serena disappears, we always just have Betsy fill in, and nobody else's parts get messed up."

I thought of having to kiss Betsy and shuddered. No thanks.

--

When I got home, I googled Serena Walters. She was 24, and had been on stage since she was 10. When she was 17, she moved to the big city and never looked back. She'd been in shows constantly since then, almost always the lead. She'd been Cinderella, Glinda, Sandy. She was a very pretty blonde, around 5 foot 5, slim and fit, like any starlet would be.

I called my best friend Eric. If anyone could give me more information, it would be my gay friend. He'd been my best friend through junior high and high school. I was happy he came out to me, and proud of him. Others in the town were less thrilled when he made it more public. Even though I defended him to those backwards-thinking dickweeds, he moved to the city after high school, and rarely returned.

After I told him I got the part of Kenneth, and he congratulated me, I asked him, "Eric, what can you tell me about Serena Walters?"

"Hmph. So you think just because I'm gay, I know who Serena Walters is?"

"Not because you're gay. Because you're a music theater nut. Remember your Barbara Streisand phase?"

"Excuse me?" he said. "Barbara is not a phase, she's a lifestyle. A lifestyle I was into for only about a year."

"Yeah. So? Tell me."

"Serena is a huge upcoming star. She's been in so many big shows here. I've seen her probably 5 times in the last few years."

"Want to see her again? She's going to be Eloise."

A beat of silence. "Shut up. SHUT UP! What is she doing? Why is she in such a small-time show?"

I was used to his sassy self, but even I was getting tired. "I don't know, Eric. That's why I called you."

"I don't know much. But oh wow, you're Kenneth and she's Eloise? That's amazing. Just don't get too attached."

"What does that mean?"

He explained. "She tends to hook up with a guy at each show she's in. Then when the show ends, they break up. Every show, same routine."

I processed that info. "So you're saying she's single?"

"No. I mean, she is. But that's not what I'm saying." He sighed. "I know you, Pat. You need a long-term relationship. She's not going to be it. Even if you start dating her, as soon as the show's over, she'll be gone, and you'll be sad."

"Oh."

Eric went right back to gushing. "I can't believe it! You and Serena Walters! Get me tickets!"

I smiled. "Of course. Any night you want. Front row."

--

The next afternoon, after work, I stopped by the theater again to get my script. From down the hall, I heard Chuck's voice. "Actually, there he is, right there."

I turned to look and saw him pointing my direction. Then I saw who he was talking to. Her blonde hair seemed to shimmer as she turned her head my direction. She was wearing a simple white dress, sleeveless, that ran just south of her knees. As she walked my way, I saw her sparkling blue eyes and white-toothed smile. I was frozen.

"Hi, Patrick, I'm Serena," she said, offering her hand.

I shook it. "Hi Serena, I'm Patrick," I stuttered out, then caught myself. "Sorry, I mean, hi, nice to meet you."

She laughed, and it was melodic, like chiming bells. "I'm glad we'll be working together. Chuck speaks very highly of you."

I looked past Serena, down the hall, where Chuck still stood. He gave me a thumbs up, then turned the corner to leave. "I'm flattered he thinks so highly of me. Honestly, this is my first time in a lead role."

She shrugged. "We'll be fine, Patrick." She pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "I was wondering, if you're available, can I take you to dinner sometime this week? I'd like to get to know my co-star."

"Dinner? Sure," I was a little stunned. "I'm free tonight, if you want."

"Absolutely," she smiled. "I just got into town, so I'm not sure what's good."

I looked down at my clothes. I was still wearing a nice shirt and khakis, appropriate office attire, but also good enough for a decent restaurant. Serena's dress was also very pretty on her. "There's an Italian place down the street. Bruno's. Sound good?"

"Sounds lovely. Shall we?" she responded, gesturing towards the door.

--

Dinner was wonderful, as Bruno's usually was. But the company was better. Serena was bright and witty. She was an excellent conversationalist. She kept insisting on paying for dinner, but I held firm that we'd split the check. She laughed and called me a gentleman.

"So why are you here?" I finally asked, over dessert, trying to satisfy my curiosity.

She looked around. "Because you suggested this restaurant." We both grinned at her joke. "You mean why am I in Pendleton doing a small show?"

"Yes."

She tilted her head. "I've really wanted to do this show."

I was confused. "Really? The Revelations of Eloise? It's not a very well-known show."

"I saw it when I was a child, and it made me fall in love with musical theater," she told me. Her eyes were lit up. "I remember the music by heart, and the costumes, and the dancing."

I gave a half-frown. "Dancing's not my strongest suit."

She smiled, making me stop frowning. "Don't worry about that. I'll teach you."

"So you're taking what, a break? From your big-city career, to do this little show?"

"Yes," she nodded. "Plus, I think I needed a change of scenery. The city is exciting, but I wanted to get away for a bit." Then she changed the focus. "What about you? Ever make it to any big city shows?"

I shook my head. "No, I'm pretty busy here in my small-town life. But my friend Eric said he's seen you on stage a few times."

"Aha, another fan," she laughed lightly. "Hopefully not a stalker?"

"Well he's gay, so if he's stalking you, it's purely for your autograph," I joked, making her laugh again. Then I asked, "Where are you staying during the summer? There's no 5-star hotels around here."

"I found a little house for rent, from an older couple. They're said they'll be in Florida all summer, visiting their grandchildren. It's over on Pine Street."

"Mr. and Mrs. Blumhouse?" I asked, and she nodded. "I know that house. I used to mow their lawn when I was a teenager. My parents live a few streets over."

"Small town," she said with a smile.

"Definitely," I answered. Then there was a pause in the conversation. The first real pause in over an hour.

"So you don't live with your parents anymore?"

I shook my head. "No, I have a house a few blocks away now, on Spruce."

"Just you?"

"Just me." I didn't want to get into the details of my divorce. I had married my high-school sweetheart Kelly when we were 22, right after college, but it ended shortly after. I hadn't seen Kelly in a couple years.

Sadly, I knew that Serena would probably hear about it anyway. Like she said, it was a small town. Stories travelled quickly and lived on for years.

I think she could tell I didn't want to elaborate. "Must be nice," is all she said.

"You don't have your own place?"

She shook her head. "I usually rent apartments, and then I move after every show."

I had been enjoying the evening, this non-date, until I remembered Serena would leave again mid-August, after the show was over. I could hear Eric's advice repeated in my head - don't get attached.

--

After dinner, I walked Serena back to the theater, where our cars were still parked. She hesitated before getting into her car. "I'm looking forward to working with you, Patrick."

"I'm looking forward to it too," I answered. I wasn't sure what to do next. It wasn't a date, really, so it would have been far too forward to kiss her. Though I really wanted to.

She closed the gap and kissed me instead. A peck on the cheek. "Well, goodnight," she said, stepping into her car and driving away.

I stood there for a second, my hand on my kissed cheek. I was quickly falling for my new co-star, and I now wondered if she felt the same.

--

The first rehearsal was a few days later. As usual, only the principal actors were present; the chorus would join us later on. The exception was Betsy, who I spotted sitting in the last row of theater. As Chuck had said, she was Serena's understudy for the role of Eloise. I couldn't see Betsy's face from where she sat, but I was betting it was scowling.

Serena was a natural, and she made everyone around her better by proximity. The only pauses in our rehearsal seemed to come from where she and Chuck disagreed on a direction, but they worked everything out somehow.

After a short break, Chuck announced, "Okay, let's do Kenneth's song next, Her Eyes." That was my cue. I took center stage, and Serena stepped off to the side. The song, Her Eyes, was written into the first act of musical, sung by Kenneth to elaborate on his initial attraction to Eloise.

The pianist started, and I sang. I had told Serena I wasn't the best dancer, which was true. But this was a ballad, with no dancing, and I was a good singer. At one point, mid-song, I turned to glance at Serena. Her eyes were wide. I took it as a good sign and continued. I realized as I sang, the lines about Eloise's striking blue eyes could easily be applied to Serena's beauty too.

When I finished, I got a round of applause from the few other actors who had milled around. I gave them a silly grinning bow and walked offstage. Serena met me there, and grabbed my hand in hers. "Patrick, you didn't tell me you could sing like that!" Her eyes were still wide.

I shrugged. "I'm not that special," I tried to say humbly.

"You're better than you think. I think you could hold your own in the city," she assured me.

"Well I disagree, but thank you," I said, smiling at her. I looked at her eyes, and I was hooked.

My reverie was quickly broken by Chuck's voice, calling for the next scene. Serena and I both went back to the stage.

I had to learn to dance, but Serena easily guided me through the steps, and it all seemed so much easier with her as my partner.

It wasn't all fun, though. I noticed that Betsy had moved up, and was now sitting in the row behind Chuck. I think she was trying to talk in his ear as we worked on scene after scene. I hoped Chuck was ignoring her input. I didn't need Betsy to be appointed his assistant.

After I'd got most of the dance steps down, Chuck called to us, "Okay, Serena, take a break. Let's get Betsy in there." I was facing away from them, so only Serena caught my eye roll. Betsy jumped on stage, and Serena stood off to the side.

I ran through the dance steps again with Betsy as my partner. While Betsy was a capable dancer on her own, she and I weren't as fluid together as I'd been with Serena. Every time I took a misstep, Betsy scowled at me. "Come on Pat, keep up," she growled under her breath. Needless to say, I was relieved when we switched back.

--

As I grabbed my bag to leave that night, Serena sidled up to me. "What's with this Betsy girl?" she asked under her breath, so only I would hear.

"Tell you later," I muttered back. Then, full voice, said, "See ya, Chuck!" with a wave.

Serena and I left the theater and headed towards our cars. No Betsy in sight out here. "Betsy, she's... " I struggled to find words that weren't negative.

"Kind of a bitch?" Serena finished my sentence.

I laughed. "Yes, exactly. She's been the star of our community theater so many times. We went to high school together."

"Yeah? Was she like that then too?"

"Not as bad then, I guess. She's been getting worse year after year. I think it's that she feels stuck here." Serena didn't follow, so I continued. "Betsy keeps auditioning for shows in the city, but has never booked one."

"Not one? Not even chorus?"

"Nope," I answered. "Here in our small town, she's a big deal. But she's such a small fish out there," I gestured in the general direction of the city.

"Now I see," Serena nodded. "And when I showed up..."

I finished her thought for her. "She was livid. My God, I've never seen her that mad. You should probably watch your back around her, she might push you down the stairs."

She laughed. I didn't. "You are joking, right?" she asked. I just shrugged, and she stopped laughing. "Thanks for the warning then."

I walked her to her car, just like a few nights ago. I was hoping for another kiss, but I wasn't expecting it. "See you tomorrow night, my Eloise?" I asked.

"Absolutely, my Kenneth." She smiled but didn't immediately leave.

"Hey, we don't have rehearsal Friday, are you doing anything?" I blurted out, before she could get away. "I mean, if you're not busy, want to have dinner with me?"

Her smile seemed to beam wider. "Sure, Patrick. I would love to." That earned me another peck on the cheek. "Goodnight," she said, getting into her car.

"Goodnight, Serena." I watched her drive off. When she was out of sight, I might have done a little happy dance in the parking lot.

Octave888888
Octave888888
1,165 Followers