Playing the Part Ch. 06

Story Info
Dress rehearsals.
3.5k words
4.76
7.4k
7
0

Part 6 of the 12 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/03/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Octave888888
Octave888888
1,165 Followers

I went to work Monday morning, but it was hard to get work done, or think about anything productive, since I was still thinking about Serena. How much fun we had in the last few days, and in the last month since we met. How close we came to disaster over the weekend. How it would hurt when she left. I did tell her we could forget about when we had said we loved each other, but that didn't mean that I wasn't still in love with her.

Mid-day, I got an email from Jen, updating me on her talk with Heather. Heather had been surprised to hear Jen was gay, and more surprised that Jen was in love with her, and had asked for time to process it. Jen understood, but was worried that she'd just lost her best friend. I replied that, even if Heather didn't feel the same, I was sure Heather would still continue to be her friend. I didn't know it with certainty, but I truly hoped for the best for them both.

It was now Tech Week, a week of final rehearsals. I grabbed a quick bite after work and went straight to the theater. Serena was already there. I found her on stage, stretching and doing vocal warm-ups. Betsy was watching like a buzzard from off-stage. Chuck was running around, answering hundreds of questions, resolving little issues. Lights and microphones were being set up. It was controlled chaos. It was a circus, and Chuck was the ringmaster.

I patted him on the shoulder as I passed by. "How are we doing?" I asked.

"Ugh, fine. Pat, can I see you after rehearsal? I want to talk to you about something."

I nodded. "Of course, anything for you." I meant it. Chuck was a good friend and a mentor for the theater.

We rehearsed the whole show that night. Not just the music and the acting, though. The light cues, the costume changes, the entrances and exits, every detail. Serena and I had our witty back-and-forth banter down, and my dancing was now more than adequate. We went late that night, but by the end, we were much closer to ready, and we were all exhausted. Chuck gave us all last-minute notes before dismissing us at almost 11:00, apologizing for the late hour.

He sat down in the back of the auditorium and I went to sit next to him.

"Pat. Do you know how long I've been doing this?"

I took a guess. "Twenty years?"

He huffed. "Twenty-eight. Twenty-eight years, 5 shows a year." Then he looked at me. "I'm retiring, Pat."

"What? No. What will we do without you?"

He shrugged. "I'm sorry. I can't do this forever. I'm telling you first. The others don't know yet," he gestured to the stragglers who were still leaving the auditorium.

"Not even Betsy?" I asked. Betsy was a regular, in every show.

"No," he said. "I know she loves the theater, but I know she's also difficult to work with. She seems like she might want to take over my job, but I don't think that's right for the theater."

I saw where this was going. "You want me to do this? Chuck, I can't. I have a day job. You know I love the theater and this building. But I can't replace you."

Chuck sighed. "I need someone who loves theater and loves people, and who wants to bring the art to the masses. You've seen this town. Some people, this is the most culture they get. We're not the city. We don't have art museums and orchestras and ballet."

I nodded, and we sat in silence for a minute. Serena was the last to leave. She saw us and waved, and I waved back, before she left us behind.

"When are you telling people?" I asked Chuck.

"I was thinking of Saturday," he answered. "At the Gala. I'll tell them that I'll do one more year. Next summer's show will be my last show as director. Then someone else can take over in the fall."

Serena was waiting in the parking lot for me. "What's going on?" she asked.

I hesitated, but I figured it was okay to tell her. "Chuck's planning on retiring. He's not making it public knowledge, but he's going to spend one more year as director."

Serena smiled. "But that's good, right?"

"Good for him."

She caught my meaning, and looked down. "Ah. You're worried about the theater without him."

"Yeah." I shifted my feet. "So why are you still here so late?"

"Waiting for you. I wanted a good night kiss." She leaned in, and I gave her a tender kiss under the starlight.

--

The rest of the week was pretty tiring. Work all day, then rehearsal all evening. Serena and I agreed that, even though we wanted to jump each others' bones after rehearsal nights, we should save our energy. She wasn't currently working a day job, and she understood that I needed sleep. The nice part was when she visited my office mid-day Wednesday, bringing lunch for both of us. It was nice to share a meal with someone who wasn't a co-worker. The work stress melted away, at least for an hour, as I ate in the glow of her lovely smile.

"I found a dress yesterday," Serena told me. She hadn't known there would be a Gala this Saturday, so she hadn't brought one from her apartment in the big city.

"Oh?" I asked. "What color? Should I wear a matching tie?"

"It's a black dress, so wear whatever tie you want. It'll match your suit."

"Which shop did you find it in?" I knew she'd spent hours on Monday perusing the dress shops in town for something she liked.

"Actually, I went to my friend's shop... in the city." She looked at me expectantly.

"You took a day trip?" I was a little surprised, but only a little. I hadn't expected her to go back until after the show, but as it wasn't very far away, a quick trip and back wasn't unthinkable.

"Yeah. I picked up the dress, and visited my apartment, and had lunch." I saw her hesitate before she continued. "With Frank."

Frank was her father-turned-manager. "What did he say? Is he still asking you to return to the city?"

"Of course he is. I told him I'm still busy until after Eloise is wrapped up."

"Good."

"After lunch, I went back to the apartment and just sat for a while. And do you know what I thought?"

"What?"

"It was lonely." She sighed. "I know it sounds cheesy, but I was surrounded by over a million people, and yet I was alone. And, I think, I feel I have more connection to people here than there. You know, real connections?"

I nodded. "I don't know much about the city, but I guess it feels impersonal. Here, everyone knows everyone, which can sometimes be a curse." I thought about how rumors and reputations spread so quickly through the gossip grapevine. "But it can also be a blessing. When something bad happens, people show up and do what they can to support their neighbors."

Serena smiled. "I can see that. Must be nice to be a part of something like that."

--

Thursday night was dress rehearsal. I spotted a woman in the audience, jotting notes on a pad. I guessed she was there from the local newspaper. Hopefully, she'd like the show, and would print a positive review in the paper on Friday morning. That would draw larger crowds, meaning more income for the community theater.

After we finished the first act, we were taking an intermission break, when Chuck confirmed my suspicions when he came backstage. "Serena, would you be interested in a quick interview? It's for the Pendleton Press."

I looked at Serena, and I could tell she was going to say no. So I spoke up quickly, "That would help spur more interest in the show. I'll do it with you, if you want."

Serena looked at me curiously, but agreed. "Okay. After Act 2?"

We finished the show, then the reporter gave us some time to change back into street clothes and meet her at the front of the stage. "Serena, Pat, I'm Georgina Drole from the Press," she introduced herself, shaking Serena's hand firmly. She had greying hair and cat-eye glasses. I'd seen her around town before, but never knew who she was.

"Actually, I'd like to go by Patrick," I informed her, shaking her hand next. It was clear, though, that I wasn't as important as Serena.

"So, Serena," Georgina started, "what brings you out of the big city to our little town?" Serena told her what she'd told me before about The Revelation of Eloise: how it was her favorite musical as a child, and she'd always wanted to be Eloise on stage. She also admitted she had wanted a break from the show circuit of the big city, where she'd been doing show after show, eight shows a week, for the last few years.

"Pendleton's not exactly a vacation destination," Georgina pointed out.

"True, there's no amusement park or tourist traps, but it's relaxing," replied Serena. She nudged me, and continued, "For example, Patrick took me to the lake last weekend. It was beautiful, and there's nothing like that in the big city."

Georgina nodded, but wasn't satisfied with the answer. "Did you know Patrick," she smirked in my direction, "or anyone else here before you came?"

"Not really," Serena told her. "I was acquainted with Chuck, the director, but I met everyone else about a month ago."

Finally, Georgina cut to what she wanted to know. "Are you two dating?"

"That's not really your business," Serena said flatly.

"But you've been seen out and about together several times."

"We've been spending time together, yes." I was just as irritated as Serena. "Anything beyond that is between us. This interview's over." Serena and I both got up at the same time, and walked out.

--

Friday morning, the article on page 7 of the Pendleton Press read: "Big City Star Brings Eloise To Life". I sighed in relief, until I read the article. While it did praise the show and the actors in it, it went on to hint that our on-stage chemistry was mirrored by our real-life romance. I was annoyed.

Serena called me as I finished reading. "Did you see what that bitch put in the paper?" she asked. Her voice rang with anger.

"I just read the Press. It's annoying, but not too bad."

"Not the Press, the Gazette."

"What?"

"Georgina Drole sent a different version to the Gazette. Now everyone in the city is going to think we're a couple."

We were a couple, but I knew better than to point it out in the heated moment. Instead, I pulled up the Gazette's website and found the article: "Serena's Romance Underscores Stage Love Story." This version was much more about Serena and her new small-town lover than about the show itself.

"This is trashy gossip," I said as I read.

"That's what the Gazette does. They track down celebrities, find dirty laundry, and twist it into their embarrassing narratives."

"Embarrassing?"

She caught the tone of my voice. "I didn't mean it like that, I'm sorry." She sighed. "I'm not embarrassed of you. I just wish I didn't have a million people reading warped stories about my personal life."

"It's okay," I assured her. "Let's get through one night at a time. I'm taking a half-day this afternoon. Let's get some lunch before the show. Okay?"

"Yes. Okay," she agreed. "Come to my house after work. I'll whip up some food."

"Sounds great. See you soon."

--

I stopped at the store to grab flowers for Serena. I found Jen in her usual checkout line. "I didn't tell anyone, I swear," she insisted. I knew she'd read at least one of the articles.

"I know, I trust you," I told her. "How's Heather?"

"Not sure. She's a little... distant? She says she's okay, but things are different. Also, I think my parents and her parents are both... suspicious."

"Sounds like you two need a little time together, away from parents. I can get you tickets to the show. Tomorrow night?"

Jen's eyes got wide, and she shook her head. "Tomorrow's the Gala. I can't afford that. I'm a broke teenager."

"Don't worry about it," I told her. "I'll pull some strings, get you both on the list."

"Really?" Jen beamed a smile. "That would be so great!" She ran around the checkout counter and hugged me. "Thanks. For everything."

--

I arrived at Serena's house as she was laying out sandwiches, wearing a red t-shirt and a white skirt that ran to her mid-thighs. When I walked in, she spotted the flowers. "I don't usually get those until after the show," she remarked.

"Well I already know how well you'll do, so I got them in advance," I replied.

She smiled. "You're so sure?"

"Absolutely. Your hack co-star, though, I'm not sure about him."

That made Serena laugh. "I'm sure he'll be adequate. He must be a good actor if he can hook up with a big-city actress. I read about it in the paper this morning."

Serena had put together several sandwiches, all cut up into quarters, claiming we can eat more later as pre-show fuel. Most were turkey, but some were tuna salad, which she claimed was the secret to her success. "Fish has vitamins that help your brain remember your lines," she told me, feeding me a corner. Since she was such a veteran of the stage, I took her word for it. It was also very good; she'd chopped up a little onion in there.

"The only problem with fish is it gives you bad breath for kissing later," I said after swallowing.

"Well we'll both have bad breath, so that won't be a problem, right?"

I pulled her close. "I'd kiss you anyway, even with fish breath." And to prove it, I did just that.

It didn't take much kissing to get Serena to stand up and pull me from my chair. She led me back into her bedroom, and kissed me again while unbuttoning my shirt. Once opened, her hands explored my chest, as we continued to taste each others' tongues.

I slipped my shirt off my shoulders, then reached for hers. Together, we got it and her bra off, then she pressed her topless body against mine, kissing me for all she was worth, feeling the warmth of my body with her breasts. I gripped her ass in both my hands and led her to the bed. She let me lay her down, and I laid next to her.

My left hand cradled her head as we kissed, and my right drifted up her thigh, under her skirt. It wasn't until then that I realized she had been going commando underneath. She noticed my discovery, and told me, "Took you long enough."

With that, my hand cradled her mound. She was already wet, but I knew I could make her more so. I slipped one finger inside gently, and she gave a slight whimper. I bent down, leaving her kiss behind, but I took the hem of her skirt in my mouth and lifted it, making her giggle. Once the material was bunched up out of the way, I leaned in and planted tiny kisses all around her clit, while my finger continued to slide in and out. It was making her squirm and coo delightfully. "More," she sighed, "Please Patrick, more." My kisses became direct licks on her clit, and I added a second finger inside. It didn't take too much of that until her muscles clenched and she elicited a loud moan. I withdrew my fingers and let her come down from her climax.

"Oh, Patrick, you're so good to me," she said with a post-orgasm smile.

"Is this one of your pre-show rituals too?" I kidded her.

"It wasn't, but it is now. But only with you," she quickly added. "Now fuck me, my Kenneth. I need you inside me."

She didn't have to ask twice. My dick was still raging against the inside of my pants, so it felt good just to get them off me and free my erection from its prison. By the time I'd done that, Serena already had a condom in hand, ready to roll it onto me. So, in very little time, I was ready to push inside of her warm heavenly place.

She pushed me onto my back, and quickly climbed onto me. I was happy that, despite her orgasm a minute ago, she still had plenty of energy to ride me; also, despite my fingering her, she was still pleasantly tight as she slid herself onto my shaft with a long "ohhhh". "You feel so good in me, Patrick," she said, moving up and down above me.

"You're so amazing, Serena," I responded. Like a few nights earlier, I watched her face the entire time, and she watched mine. It was hard to keep that eye contact with her bouncing breasts doing their best to distract me, but we kept up that stare into each others' souls, each others' minds, as she rode me faster and harder.

I felt it coming, and called out to her, "Serena..." She nodded, and said my name back to me, "Patrick..." We were so in sync, physically and mentally, that we came at exactly the same time.

She slipped off me, lying beside me, and we caught our breath. "Oh. Oh my god, Patrick," Serena told me. "That was so... so..." she stopped, unable to find the words.

"Beautiful?" I offered.

"Yes. Beautiful." She nodded. "Beautiful and wonderful and fantastic."

I didn't say anything, but I whole-heartedly agreed. But how I going to give this up? How could I possibly let go of something this beautiful and wonderful and fantastic?

--

After a quick nap together, Serena shooed me out of her bed around 4:00. She packed me a few of the leftover sandwiches, and sent me home to shower and prepare for the show. The show didn't start until 7:00, but our call time was 6:00.

I arrived at the theater at 5:58, and didn't see Serena's car in the parking lot. I got a little worried, ready to text her, when her car suddenly pulled in next to mine. "You didn't think I'd be late, did you?" she said with a sexy smirk.

"Just wanted to make sure you didn't get another unwelcome visit from Frank," I said, honestly.

"No. Not even Frank could keep me away." She gave me a quick peck on the cheek. "I promised you I'd be here, and I won't break that promise."

--

Chuck was a very efficient director, especially on show nights. By 6:03, he had made sure everyone was present. By 6:30, everyone was dressed in costume and makeup, and we were sitting backstage, ready to go.

At 6:35, I heard Serena call to the other actors, "Everyone, gather around!" I walked over to where she and the others were gathering in a loose circle. "I know I'm new here," she told everyone, "but I hope you'll indulge me in a little opening-night tradition we do in the city." She took the hand of Chuck, who was standing on her right, and took my right hand in her left, and soon everyone was taking the hands of the person next to them.

Serena turned to Chuck, and said aloud for everyone's ears, "I'm thankful for you Chuck. You're the heart and soul of this group, and we'll do everything we can to put on the very best show, because that's what you ask of us. Everyone here loves you because of your ongoing love and passion for the arts." A few people mumbled their agreement. I was suddenly glad to be on Serena's left, as it would be easy for me to find good things to say about her.

Serena then indicated to Chuck's right, and he continued the good thoughts to the next person in the circle. The person to Betsy's left even found positive things to say about her. When it came to my turn, I said, "I'm thankful for you, Serena. You have brought new life and interest to our small theater group. Your talent, your energy, and your experience are all helping us to improve, and to hone our skills. It's an honor to share the stage with you, and an honor to have you as a friend."

"Hear, hear!" said Chuck, and he was repeated by a few people around the circle.

Serena had us all put our hands in and tell each other to "break a leg", before we broke up and Chuck called for us to get to our places.

I went to a crack in the curtain and spotted my parents and Eric taking their seats in the front row. Serena's arms wrapped around me from behind. "Hey, you ready?" she asked.

"I'm ready," I nodded. But I knew, inside, this first show was the beginning of the end. A total of eleven shows stood between this moment and the moment where Serena would leave me forever.

Octave888888
Octave888888
1,165 Followers