Polishing an Old Trophy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PatHayashi
PatHayashi
155 Followers

Derek thanked the group and started to walk out of the breakroom. Ratish caught up with him in the hallway.

"Derek, hang on!" he called out. "Thanks for the heads up." Derek nodded in acknowledgement. "But be honest, how bad is it?"

"It's gonna be tough for a while bud," Derek levelled with the older man. "Dad, Caleb, and I won't be drawing a salary for the next few months. About half of their vendors have switched suppliers. We're thinking about exercising the late cancellation clause, but we might not."

"How come?"

"It's relationship," Derek explained. "We'll recover some costs short-term, but it would leave a bad taste for them, and we would never be able to get their business back"

"Well boss, you can tell we're all worried and, not gonna lie, no overtime hurts. But we trust you."

"Thanks Ratish," Derek clapped the man on the shoulder and walked away.

As the two men parted, neither noticed Amelia listening in an alcove.

~ ~ ~

AMELIA SAT AND pushed her food around on the plate, her thoughts elsewhere. The second time she sighed, a wooden spoon smacked the back of her hand. "Hey!" she exclaimed, snatching her hand back.

"Don't waste your food!" her grandmother scolded. "Why are you so... meh?" Magdelena asked, making an exaggerated pouting face.

"I don't know Babcia," Amelia shrugged. "We're getting some cutbacks from work." Magdelena tutted at the news. "Don't worry, no layoffs, but I'm thinking maybe I should be doing something a bit more secure."

"What do you mean?" Magdelena asked with a squint.

"I mean, I'm tired of these odd jobs... Don't get me wrong. It's honest, hard work, but since Derek and I have been having dinners, he's shown me that I can do more. I think I'd make a good industrial engineer."

"Ah, Amelia," Magdelena sighed, "that is what Babcia has been telling you all this time! You are smarter than your mother let you believe."

"I get that now, I do," Amelia agreed. "Now I just have to work a few more years to save up some tuition to go back to school. It's just..."

"Just what?" Magdelena prodded.

"Things aren't good at work right now with us losing all those contracts, and I think some of it is my fault," Amelia explained, "and I'd feel bad if anyone lost their jobs because of me."

"What if you didn't have to work?" Magdelena asked.

"Whatd'ya mean 'if I didn't have to work'? Of course I have to work."

"Child, your mother left some life insurance to me," Magdelena explained. "She was sure you would be taken care of by that son-of-bitch husband, so did not leave for you. I do not need it, so have saved it in case you decided you want to do something better with your life."

"Babcia, no! You're going to need that money."

"Amelia, Babcia has more than enough. I am just, how do you say oszczędny? Cheap? Thrifty!" Magdelena smiled. "Now, tell me about problem at work. Maybe I can help." The women sat and came up with a plan.

~ ~ ~

"CAN ANYONE GET one of the category directors up here?" Al Too yelled out his office door the next afternoon. "I want to know why the fuck I'm getting angry phone calls from our vendors!"

"Yes boss!" his harried assistant yelled back as she got on the phone. Seeing someone out of the corner of her eye waiting to meet the boss, she motioned the person in. Amelia walked over and tentatively knocked on the doorjamb to Al Too's office.

"Mr. Nestor? Al?" she asked in a small voice. Al Too looked up as he spoke on the phone and gave Amelia a tired smile as he recognized who it was. Seeing how busy it was, Amelia mouthed an apology and signalled that she would leave. Al Too waved her off and motioned her to a seat in the lounge set in his office. Finishing his call, he walked over and took a seat in an armchair.

"Amy, it's good to see you," he said, smiling at her again. "Can I get you anything? Water? A coffee?"

"No, no thanks, Al," she responded. "Actually, I think I should probably head out and come back. You guys seem to be really busy."

"No, it's alright. Time I took a small break anyway. So, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Well, I'm not sure how to say this...," Amelia began hesitantly. "It's sort of not good news." Al Too gave her a wary look.

"Best way to do that is to rip it off like a band aid...," he advised. Amelia took a deep, steadying breath, pressed her lips together determinedly, squared her shoulders, and looked at Al Too.

"OK. Well, Willa and Trey are cancelling contracts with RInger and telling all the people selling to you who deal with Ringer to cancel theirs, too." It all came out in a rush and Amelia looked at Al Too with a look of trepidation. Al Too's jaw worked in consternation as he took in the news. He got up from out of his chair and yelled out to his assistant.

"Forget about the category directors! I'll deal with them later!" Al Too stalked back to his chair. "So can you tell me what's going on?"

"Derek and I were having dinner when Willa walked in and ran into us," Amelia started to explain. "Derek and I are just friends, and we usually talk business, but Willa put two and two together and got eight. I heard from someone that Willa and Trey are looking to punish him by cancelling the contracts and getting as many people as possible not to do business with Ringer." Al Too pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed.

"Shit," he muttered under his breath. "No wonder the vendors are pissed. They have to find a new supplier on short notice and pay rush fees. Derek know about this?"

"He does, but he's not looking to snitch. He didn't tell me about it either and he doesn't know I'm here," Amelia told the older man. "But I can't help but think it's my fault."

"No, it's not Amy," Al Too assured her. "But that's a real stupid thing my half-wit kids did. We're probably paying rush fees and cancellation penalties too."

"Derek decided not to go after the penalties. He's trying to work things out with the customers and he doesn't think that would be a good look," Amelia let Al Too know as he shook his head in disbelief.

"Always the good guy, Derek, and a smart move," he sighed again. "Thanks for letting me know Amy. I'll take care of it from here," he stood up from his chair, signalling the end of their time. Amelia also stood. Al Too walked over and gave her a hug. "Amy, I know you guys are just friends, but if there's any way you and Derek can get together, that would be a good thing. He's a good man and would treat you right, unlike Trey, as much as it pains me to say."

"Thanks Al, but I don't think that'd be a good idea. Anyway, I'm quitting just in case that would help his case to get the business back," Amelia admitted.

"Don't worry about that. I'll take care of it," Al Too let her know. "You don't have to lose your job over it."

"My choice. Anyway, I'm going back to school, so it's a good thing," she let him know.

"Good to hear, but if you need another job, or help with tuition, let me know. Alright?"

"Thanks Al. I appreciate it. And, by the way, you're a good guy too, y'know," Amelia said as a parting shot. Al Too smiled at her as he walked her to the door of his office and yelled out to his assistant.

"Get purchasing in here, ASAP!"

~ ~ ~

"THANKS VERY MUCH for everything Ratish," Amelia said as she shook the man's hand. Too weeks prior, she handed in her resignation and asked him to keep it quiet until her last day.

"You were a good worker, Amy. We hate to lose you, but I understand," Ratish nodded. "If it would help, I'd go back to school too, but I'm too old for it now. You go and do well, OK?" Amelia smiled and nodded.

"Buena suerte my friend!"

"Good luck Amy!" Luz and Christina both hugged Amelia, who was without words, and experiencing real friendship for the first time.

"Thanks guys," Amelia was able to get out after a few moments. "Gotta go, but I'll let you know how I'm doing," she said with a final sniffle. Amelia walked into the office area towards Derek's office. Relieved that he wasn't there, Amelia left an envelope on his desk. Walking away, she chided herself for her own cowardice, but she knew she wouldn't be able to speak to him in person without breaking down.

~ ~ ~

DEREK WALKED INTO his office, exhausted after a meeting with one of their larger cancellations. Luckily, he was able to salvage their autumn displays, and afforded himself a few quiet moments. After a few deep breaths he opened his eyes and saw an envelope with his name written on the front in a feminine hand.

He picked it up, opened it, and pulled out a handwritten note. Unfolding it, he read the first few lines:

Dear Derek,

I know this is a really shitty way to do this, but I'm taking the coward's way out on this. I've resigned and gave my notice two weeks ago. I really...

As Derek was reading, his intercom beeped and he picked it up.

"Derek, I've got Mr. Nestor here to see you and your father." It took a few moments for Derek to register, having been preoccupied with Amelia's note.

"Um, thanks Mona," he said into the speaker as he shook his head to clear it of cobwebs. "Please bring Mr. Nestor into the conference room while I get my dad."

Al Too rose when Davis and Derek entered the conference room. He shook hands with both men and took a seat with a large sigh.

"Gentlemen, it looks like I'm here to apologise again," Al Too began. "Look, my idiot kids made some decisions they weren't authorised to make, and it hit your business bad. For that, I'm truly sorry." Davis and Derek exchanged a look. "Although it appears that you know what's going on already." Davis spoke up.

"We do Al, but we took a delicate approach since this is family, and we also didn't want to tick off any of our other customers in case we could recover any future business," Davis explained why the company wasn't aggressively going after any penalties.

"Well, first thing, I'm going to make good on the penalties on the cancellations from Nestor's." Davis started to protest but Al Too raised his hands to forestall him. "Let me do this Davis, it's the least I could do."

"How about this," Davis suggested, "Let's split the difference and call it even. I'm hoping we still have a lot of runway for our relationship." Al Too nodded in agreement.

"Second, yes it's family, but those two are too spoiled and stupid for their own good," Al Too acknowledged with a shake of his head. "They had no authority to make those kinds of decisions, not that I give them much decision-making authority in the first place. They're responsible for a forty percent increase in my signage and corrugate costs for the next quarter, and similar increases for the vendors who listened to them. Rest assured, I'll deal with them as well."

"Well, family's family," Davis shrugged with understanding. "Thanks for letting us know Al." The men shook hands as they all got up to leave.

"Derek, would you mind if I had a word?" Al Too asked the younger man. Davis shot Derek a look and nodded before leaving the two men alone in the conference room.

"So, Al, anything I can do to help?" Derek asked.

"Actually, Derek, this is a personal apology to you," Al Too began. "Both my daughter and son have taken their personal feelings about you and Amelia out on our businesses and treated them like a school playground. For that, I'm sorry."

"There's no need for you to apologise Al. This wasn't your fault."

"It is and it isn't. For too long I've sheltered them because their mother really spoiled them," Al Too explained. "That's created a sense of entitlement in both their actions and the attitude that there would be no consequences. That ends now, just leave it to me."

"I trust you know what's best, Al."

"Also...," Al Too hesitated, which prompted Derek to raise an eyebrow in askance. "Not sure this is my place but, you and Amelia..."

"There's no me and Amelia, Al. We're just friends," Derek corrected him. "Anyway, I just started to read a resignation she wrote me before you arrived," he sighed.

"And here I thought you were smart," Al Too scolded the younger man. "The girl is crazy about you, and based on your reaction, you might have feelings for her too," he observed. "Read the note. She said she was quitting to help you, by the way."

"She talked to you?"

"Derek, she was the one who let me know what was going on. The girl is crazy about you and gave up her job for you. Take some time to think on it." Al Too patted Derek on the shoulder and took his leave. Stunned, Derek went back to his office, packed up and headed home.

~ ~ ~

Dear Derek,

I know this is a really shitty way to do this, but I'm taking the coward's way out on this. I've resigned and gave my notice two weeks ago. I really appreciate everything you did for me. That's part of the reason that I decided to leave. Our chats over dinner made me realise that I'm not just a mindless showpiece, but that I actually have something to contribute, so I'm going back to school.

The second reason I'm leaving is that I hope it will help Willa and Trey get over their tantrum and let you build the business back up again. I'm partly to blame so it's only right that I take responsibility.

Lastly, I left because I can't be around you anymore. You have shown me what it's like to be treated like a person, not an object, not as a means to an end. Because of that, I've developed feelings for you, but I know we can't be together. That is why I have to leave. If I work for you, it would hurt to be around you every day without the hope of us being together.

I know I'm damaged goods, and a gold digger to boot. Better for you that I don't pursue you and lock you into something you'll regret later. Please don't be angry with me. I'll remember you fondly and hope that you'll do the same with me.

With affection,

Amy

DEREK LAID THE letter on the side table by his easy chair, and downed half his glass of whisky. He was angry. He was angry at Amelia for not saying anything to him before leaving, and for such a low opinion of herself. He was angry at the Nestor siblings for their childish and unprofessional behaviour. And he was angry at himself for not realizing the feelings he had for Amelia.

Derek was so mad that he got up and grabbed his keys, intent on driving over to Amelia's apartment and badgering her to let him in. As he was getting set to leave, Derek caught a look at himself in the hallway mirror and decided that the wild-eyed man in the mirror who might not pass a breathalyzer was not the person who could have a heartfelt discussion. Setting down his keys, he went back to sitting in his chair after pouring another finger into his glass.

One thing that he didn't reckon with was the gaping emptiness he was feeling inside. It was a combination of dread, sadness, and panic. He was surprised at the depth of his feelings about the situation and Amelia. He supposed that if he could just talk to her, he could alleviate this feeling.

His hands were itching to send her a text and he took a long look at his phone sitting beside his rocks glass, but decided against it. Just in case, he turned his phone off and forwarded his calls to his landline. Derek sat in the low light, with his glass in hand, settling into a long evening of introspection with his bottle and his two fish.

~ ~ ~

"DEREK. DEREK! HEY bro!" Derek stirred from his perusal of the stack of papers on his desk and looked up at his brother, slightly dazed. "Dude, I know financials can be boring, but you could at least be happy that we're seeing most of the customers coming back and booking their back half promotions," Caleb said, faking an aggrieved manner. Derek shook the cobwebs out of his head.

"Sorry bud, my bad," Derek apologised. "Seems I have other things on my mind. You were saying?"

"What I was saying is that it looks like we may be all the way back to bright come June," Caleb explained. "Some of our customers had to cancel a few of their back half promos though."

"How come?"

"The cost of switching at such a late date cost them, so they overspent their budgets. There are some vendors really angry at Nestor's right now," Caleb shook his head.

"I'll reach out and see if we could work anything out with them," Derek promised, restacking the papers and putting them back into a folder. "Anything else?"

"Yeah, there is one thing...," Caleb looked at his brother, continuing after getting a nod. "Bro, you've been out of it this last week. What gives?" Derek gave his head a tiny shake.

"Nothing man, just a personal thing I can't get off my mind," he responded.

"Does this personal thing happen to be five foot six, blonde, and not working here anymore?" Caleb probed. Derek leaned back and sighed.

"Bud, I don't know what to do," Derek admitted as he closed his eyes and massaged the bridge of his nose.

"What's the problem? She's hot, you're..., well, you're a solid seven-point-five. Why not go for it?" Caleb asked.

"She says she cares for me."

"And that's a problem?"

"I didn't really think about it then, or I guess I was oblivious, but I realise I care about her too," Derek admitted aloud for the first time.

"Again, that's a problem?"

"She seems to think so. With her history with Trey, and the way she was brought up, all she thinks she's good for is standing around, looking pretty, digging for gold, and waiting to be replaced. A trophy wife, really."

"Hmph," Caleb quirked his mouth and stared at the ceiling. "Yeah, I guess that could be an issue with mom and dad."

"What is it you finance guys always say? 'Past performance is no indication of future results'?"

"But she's not an investment, Derek. 'A leopard can't change her spots', bro. See, I can be all intellectual and stuff too," Caleb responded, tapping his temple.

Derek scoffed. "Get outta here, Mr. Intellectual," he said as he threw a foam ball at his brother, chuckling. "Gotta think."

"Alright, but don't stress it. Not a lotta power up in that hamster wheel of yours there," Caleb retorted, laughing as he ran out, avoiding a second foam projectile.

~ ~ ~

A FEW HOURS later, Derek was sipping a glass of red at a nice steakhouse, trying to pay attention to the stunning brunette sitting in front of him. Looking down while swirling his glass, he caught movement from his companion from across the table.

"Derek, hey, where were you just then? You've been preoccupied all dinner."

"Oh, sorry Rebecca, zoned out there for a second. Things have been busy and the wine probably got to my head," he apologised.

"No worries, but I don't think that's it. What's bothering you?"

"Nothing, just... Listen, I'm really sorry I've been such a bad dinner companion. Just have a lot on my mind lately. I really shouldn't have bothered you." Rebecca chuckled as she raised her glass to him.

"Not. At. All," she enunciated. "If you were paying attention, you would have clocked the Wagyu surf'n'turf mixed grill I ordered and freaked," she admitted, sipping on her wine. "I figured you called me as a distraction, so I made it worth my while."

"Sorry," Derek shrugged sheepishly. "Fuck, I'm apologising a lot, aren't I?"

"Like I said, no worries. Now how about we blow this joint and I make it worth YOUR while," she purred suggestively.

Derek shot a melancholy smile to his dinner partner. "Thanks for the offer Bex, but I just don't think I have it in me tonight," he admitted. Rebecca sighed.

"If it were anyone else but you D, I would be offended," she conceded. "Knowing you, it's gotta be some girl you've got your head wrapped around. So who is she?" Derek looked at her sheepishly.

PatHayashi
PatHayashi
155 Followers
1...345678