Project: Morning Sunrise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I remembered what Raijin had told me about the chest and turned around again. I just stared at the chest for a moment... still not sure why, then I shrugged and opened it once more and tipped the bag upside down about a foot above the heap of coins already inside. The bag took nearly half an hour to empty, and everyone had crowded around by the time it was finished. Nope, this was not about to get awkward at all. After I had dropped the leather bag into the chest and closed the lid, I felt Frank's hand on my shoulder. When I looked over at him, he still wore that damn grin.

"Never saw an employee get hired and retire on the same day before. Forget the third, looks like the thirteenth time's the charm for you, boyo."

I laughed. I looked at Frank a second time and laughed again.

"You obviously didn't hear what I said to the godlings. I have a partner now who is going to need her own labs and library space. This little lady is one of the toughest sorceresses you have ev..."

Then what Frank had said hit me like a punch in the gut. I spun and grabbed my friend and new boss by the shoulders and cackled with glee.

"Frank, you fucking genius! That's it! That's where the power came from, it has to be!"

He looked on in amusement while I whooped and scooped Nira into my arms and spun her in a few circles. She giggled, and when she demanded I put her down, I complied.

"Would you mind telling me the purpose behind the celebratory spin I took with you?" she inquired.

"I would be a liar if I did not admit curiosity at this point, too", Frank added.

"Ok, I'll start from scratch and assume everyone heard nothing, so that no one misses anything. To begin with, I never once even conceived of what I actually did to Hades today. Intent doesn't even enter into the discussion..."

"Wait, you really didn't plan that...", Frank interjected.

I shook my head, "Not in the least. My plan was to use a technique that I developed on my own after I had completed my studies on Mount Kailash and Mount Fuji. It was meant to block Hades' ability to replenish his divine energy from the Underworld. The punch was the vehicle for that technique. After that, I planned to cross my fingers and pray that the Blessing and my new skills were enough to survive the mystical slugfest that was sure to follow", I explained.

To everyone's surprise, Petey boy fielded the next question.

"So, what changed?"

"All I can say is that somehow... due to this being our 13th fight, instead of blocking incoming energy, it banished all of the divine energy from his body. He wasn't made mortal, just incapacitated and unable to replenish his energy until I touched him and removed the energy that had driven out all of his own."

Frank let out a long, low whistle and scratched his bald head.

"The Hierophancie and the Council are going to have kittens when they hear about this."

I cast a worried glance at Nira and gently grasped Frank's arm.

"That's why they can't, buddy. No one can speak about this, the godlings certainly won't. I am sure that, for all their celebration at seeing Hades humbled, they are shitting their pants at the prospect of a human being able to do that to them. They might just kill anyone who talks about this. I'll bet that a few already want my head on a pike", I explained.

I admit that I was surprised that Hades rejoined us when he stepped out of Frank's shadow and removed his helm. I heard some of the female agents gasp and Nira chuckled. Apparently he was not as undesirable as portrayed in the myths, stories, and movies.

"Your fears are justified, but unnecessary, gentlemen. Zeus placed a geas on all mortals in attendance that they might not speak of today's events except in the sole company of the other witnesses... even to the exclusion of your vaunted listening devices. Well, all save you, Michael. The spell simply would not work. You have grown much stronger since we last fought", Hades informed us.

I smiled and gave Hades a nod of respect. Hades continued.

"I also came to tell you of a future problem with some of the dark gods..."

"Uh oh", Frank said.

"Knew it," I sang. Niranjana gripped my arm in concern.

"The threat is not immediate," Hades explained, "but it is coming, that is certain. My easy defeat has shaken them all to their core. Most will do nothing, choosing to sit back and let you come to them should you grow so bold. The mistrustful and covetous among them will fear you for having given them a glimpse of mortality. It will take time before that fear succumbs to anger, but when it does... at least some will come for you to either control or kill. I will visit you later, that we may discuss the individual threats in greater detail"

I knew that cloud's silver-lining was going to be holding up a turd, and that was the sound of it dropping. I palmed my forehead and sighed.

"Thank you for the warning, Hades. I am curious though, what makes you bring this to me? You could have kept this to yourself for now and still been within the terms I laid down."

Hades nodded.

"You are correct. However, I spoke with Persephone and my brothers after I left. They reminded me that you allowed me to retain a great deal of dignity in the way you handled my defeat, and that the minor boon you reserved for yourself is more akin to compensation for a decade of struggle on your part than anything else. Zeus called it an act of good faith on your part... call this one of my own. So long as you honor your words to me, Michael Casimir Satko, no threat that reaches the ears of my domain shall catch you unawares", Hades vowed, then disappeared.

"Yep, Nira, we are definitely building you that lab as soon as possible. Start thinking about the design elements and the equipment that you're going to need. Remember that I use a lot of the same stuff, but mine is likely to be occupied. We will get duplicates so that we don't slow each other down."

Frank decided to butt in before my announcement of a shopping spree could sink into my new girlfriend's head.

"Well, I think we'll call it a day here, Mike. The guys have a shit-ton of paperwork to do on this incident even if the building doesn't need repairs, and I have to get your new lady some documentation. I heard you call her partner... I assume she is going to work with you?"

"I'd love for her to work with me, but the decision is hers", I told him.

Nira quashed any further speculation when she declared she would love to and gave him all the information he requested. Frank then explained that it would take a couple weeks to get things sorted out and that we should relax and await his call to come in for orientation. Then Frank asked me what kind of firearms we preferred.

I smiled and produced a custom .45 Ruger SR1911, plated in gold and silver, and inlaid with dozens of hexes and sigils in onyx and mother-of-pearl, from a shoulder holster. Frank released a long, slow whistle.

"You actually fire that thing? Looks more like a work of art to me. Did Arawn make that for you?"

There it was, proof that the government really had been watching us all those years ago when our gifts first started to manifest beyond general empathic talent. I couldn't suppress the belly laugh and Frank gave me a strange look.

"What's so funny, Mike," Frank asked as he scratched his chin in confusion.

I collected myself and looked at my friend and new boss, a huge smile still plastered on my face despite my efforts.

"Frank, I have a confession to make... I'm the gunsmith. Rawn made me let him order all that stuff for me all those years ago, and the certificates for the self-study courses went into his name as well. Claimed that the government was watching us... we all thought he was paranoid because everyone already treated us differently due to my reputation from The Blessing, and Ray and Rawn's strangeness with Mickey. Once our gifts manifested in full, though, we became pariahs. He's been a bit sensitive to that ever since the incident," I explained while I winced inwardly, I had not meant to mention Mickey. The only person outside our circle who knew about him was Rawn's uncle, Kieran. Cross my fingers...

"You mean when he killed his father," Frank asked?

"Precisely. Do not bring it up with him, ever. Sensitive doesn't even begin to describe that topic."

"Fair enough." Then Frank leaned against a parked car and crossed his arms, his eyes still on me. "So, who is Mickey? We have never heard of him before, and since we're having this conversation... We've only ever gleaned rumors about what you four call The Railroad. What's that about?"

I groaned... shit, shit, dammit, fuck, and more shit.

"Dammit, I hoped you hadn't caught that about Mickey OR learned about The Railroad. Dammit all to hell. Fuck it! Was bound to come out anyway, with me working here now since they have always been integral to my success. We make one hell of a team and I'd need their help sooner or later.

"The Brothers of the Railroad, or The Railroad as we call it, is just the name for our little group. It comes from the fact that Rawn killed his dad with a railroad spike... Arawn and Raiden were the first two members. The four of us are literally the cardinal points of the compass, right down to our astrological signs. Raiden Bane is the East, a Taurus, the element of Earth, the overall leader of our group and a master defensive tactician. Arawn is the West, a Scorpio, the element of Water, a natural prodigy at offensive tactics, and our general in a crisis. To watch those two play chess is a thing of beauty. Ethan Glade is North, Aquarius, Water, and the heart and soul of our group. When our little family is feeling fractious, he's the one who brings us back into line and back together. And me? Well, I'm the South, a Sagittarius, Fire, and serve as the brain and gadgeteer of our merry band, though we're all highly intelligent by any standard," I told him.

Frank was thoroughly shocked. I could understand why, we had kept to ourselves for a reason after all and this had been a day to tax even the steadiest temperament I could conceive.

"Are you telling me that you four are a natural born circle who found each other and bonded on your own? Is Mickey your teacher...," Frank pressed.

I shook my head.

"Yes to the first but there is more to it, and no, Mickey has never spoken to us. That's just the name Ray and Rawn gave him. We don't know his true name, we've never even seen his face."

Frank was now as confused as he had been shocked a moment ago. Even Nira's curiosity was quite piqued at this point, and I could see that her desire to stay silent lost out.

"So, who is this Mickey person, Michael? You've never spoken of him to me, either."

I chuckled.

"Patience, grassa-hoppahs. All will be revealed in time."

I admit, I laughed even as the words left my mouth.

"Seriously, it's easier if I explain it this way. Just save your questions till the end please, a lot will be answered along the way.

"There are three ties that bind the Brothers of the Railroad: First, we have all lost our parents. Second, we are all highly empathic individuals. Third and finally, also the most important of the ties, is Mickey."

Everyone was ready to ask the obvious question, so I held up a hand to stop them.

"Mickey is the Fedora Man..."

From the looks on their faces, one would be forgiven for thinking that I had presented them with the severed head of John the Baptist. Niranjana, on the other hand, was completely clueless to the modern classification of ancient entities.

"Michael, I do not know this name. What is a fedora man?"

"Well, the Fedora Man is one of the shadow people. To most people, he is a particularly nasty one at that. If you look online at the reports, he is about as demonic as they come; sleep paralysis, night terrors, smothering weight on the chest ... scary stuff, but he's never been like that with us."

Nira gave me a look that suggested something wasn't right. It gave me the willies.

"Shadow people... are you speaking of shadows without a form to cast them?"

"That's exactly what a shadow person is, babe. This guy, though, he looked after us. My parents died in a car crash that should have killed me too. Witnesses saw a shadowy figure in a fedora dragging me away from the wreck before it blew up, but nobody could remember a face, or even skin color. A serial killer took Ethan's family while he slept. When the guy came for him, a shadow in a fedora stepped out of his closet and touched the guy on the forehead. He went mad and ran into oncoming traffic. Both Arawn and Ray say that he's been for them what he's been for us since then... a stable, if quiet, father figure."

While Nira listened intently, Frank decided to speak up, "You mean that the reports are wrong about Ethan?... he wasn't just a traumatized kid?"

"No he was not, and Mickey really did pull me out of that car, just before it blew up and killed both my parents. More to the point, the two events happened at nearly the exact same time. I was seven, and Ethan was five. Here is what makes it strange, though... if you look at the resources they all call them shadow people. Simple enough, right?"

I got a round of nods and continued.

"Well, one day I was at a Lebanese restaurant with Ray and we were talking about the shadows. This old Arabic gentleman overhears and comes over to our table. Tells us that we should be careful of consorting with Jinn. Ray spoked up and explained that we never mentioned Jinn, we were talking about the shadows. The guy nodded and explained that they appear as bodiless shadows of people. I thought the poor man was going to shit himself when Raiden told him that we weren't being stalked, but protected. He paid and got the hell out of there so fast... I'm just glad that the poor man was done with his food," I laughed.

Nira wore a concerned look when she spoke, "Michael, the man spoke the truth. It is rare that the Jinn can find the power to physically manifest without the aid of a summoner, so they reveal themselves as shadows."

If someone had a feather at that moment, they could have put me in the hospital. The hair on the back of my neck stood up. She couldn't have just said that.

"You mean that my three best friends and I really have been under the protection of a Jinn since we were two?"

"It certainly seems that way, yes."

"Oh hell, I'm not telling the guys this shit. It might actually be too much. They don't even know about the Hierophancie."

Everyone had a good laugh at that, especially considering where we were. I collected myself and took my new girlfriend by the hand. Who am I kidding? She was mine before I left and I was hers, everything else was just a formality.

"So," Frank asked, "why you four?"

I gave him a helpless shrug, "Your guess is as good as mine. The four of us nearly drove ourselves nuts chasing the answer to that question. We just don't know."

"Do you think it could be due to the empathic factors?"

"We honestly considered it, but at the end of the day... no. Yes, we are all strong empaths, but it's nothing that cannot be learned if you have the gift in even a small measure. It's like a muscle, some are born stronger than others, but most can still get to the same level of ability with the right amount of work and dedication. So we're not really special in that regard," I told him.

"Not sure if I agree with that last statement, but I understand what you are trying to say. Empaths of your skill are not as common as you think," my friend and new boss countered.

"Okay, this has been great and all but I need to get my lady back to her new home. We have a lot to do in the next two weeks, and it's going to take most of this gold I just received, to get her settled in. Something tells me they knew I would need it if I made it through today."

There was something about the way that Frank held up his index finger when he spoke that made me nervous.

"That reminds me. Mike, your partner Kass Murkhal is going to need to live with you. Can you come by tomorrow around noon, so I can introduce you to him and get things moving?"

What the hell did he just say?

"Huh?"

"Well, the job is yours, but your partner is live-in. I didn't have a chance to tell you because Pete ran his mouth and you ended up in a fight."

Damn, when he put it like that, it sounded like we were talking about high-schoolers.

I groaned, "Fine, fine... but if he needs any equipment, you either provide or pay for it. I'm not the village armorer."

"Fair enough," Frank answered. "I'll see you tomorrow. Oh, before I forget..."

He dug into his pocket and pulled out an ID card. He held the card out to me with his left, and offered his right to me for a handshake. I took the card and his hand.

"That will get you in the door and recognized as in processing. The rest of your credentials will be ready by the time we have Niranjana processed and assigned an identity in two weeks. That will allow plenty of time for both her and Kass to get settled in. Till then, Michael... Welcome to Project: Morning Sunrise."

I thanked Frank for the welcome and took a look at my new, high-gloss plastic, holographically secure, government photo-ID card and cringed.

"Seriously Frank... Agent F13? When did you turn into a comedian?"

Frank and the others had a good laugh.

"After today, don't you think it fits..." he chuckled.

"Wiseass. See you tomorrow, boss."

The man was still laughing when I opened a portal to my living room, and Nira and I carried the chest through.

*********

The portal closed behind us and, just like that, we were home. We put the chest down on the floor, then I made a grand gesture toward the room and bowed to Nira.

"Welcome to my humble abode. I can hardly believe you're finally here."

She moved into my arms and gave me a sound kiss, then pulled back and grinned.

"You had better believe it, Michael Satko. I am not leaving you anytime soon."

I pulled her back and laughed. "Good," I said before I kissed her, then pulled away, myself, "because I have no plans to let you go."

She laughed and spun away to finally take a good look at my living room. I admit, I have a bit of a taste for antiques. My dear friend, Ethan, makes it too easy for me. He has to be the most gentle and unassuming of the four of us, you never see him lose his temper and he always has a kind word. Ethan is a certified horologist with his own shop, so he buys, sells, builds, and repairs timepieces of all kinds. With his penchant for old wrist and pocket-watches, he always knows where the best estate sales are and I just send money with him, tell him the theme I want for the room and he'll have it fully furnished in a month. He even has it restored for me if needed. Saint of a guy. I don't even know how I got onto this anyway, it's the bedroom and my other rooms that he helped furnish.

My living room was decked out with local stuff; a simple, black cloth sofa on the right, sat opposite my television. I had placed a coffee table between the two, and on the left side of the room was a light brown dining-room set. The undecorated walls were a basic cream, my appliances were all stainless, and I picked gas over electric wherever possible. No, there was no dishwasher. I've never found one that reliably got the dishes totally clean. What's the point, anyway, if you're supposed to rinse everything off before it goes in? Just pick up a damn washcloth and finish the job. Oh hell, I've been a bachelor for way too long. So, yeah, it was just a white, cookie-cutter, three bedroom, one bathroom house with a basement, on the west side of Detroit, Michigan.