Project - Prometheus Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They made their way down to the bay with all due haste, arriving just as Inari landed in the bay. Everyone stood patiently as Inari detached her payload and waited for the Sentries to carry it away, before turning around and landing. The hatch opened, and everyone climbed aboard, ready to get moving.

"All aboard the Talemkha Express! Next stop, the Dead Snows!" Inari joked as she sealed the compartment. Everyone chuckled at her little jibe and seated themselves, just as the Hermes lifted off.

"Any other uninvited guests since my nap?" Alex asked Inari.

"None sir! Seem like he was the only one down there, but whoever he was, he certainly had the Assembly spooked!" she replied.

"Any idea as to why?"

"It is because many believe him to be the Ghost of the Ages," Lumi interrupted.

"Ghost of the Ages?" Alex asked, confused.

"An old children's tale designed to frighten them into behaving. Or so I and many other adults believed. Many legends and tales have been told about him, but nothing concrete or specific about him. Nothing that stands out at any rate," Luminia responded.

"But what is known about him, is that he always was alone. He never had any friends or companions who were with him. Since my father and I came to the Dead Snows years ago, we went looking for any evidence that he was real. No matter where we searched, there was nothing. No signs of habitation, no footprints, so we were sure that we had proved that he was nothing more than a myth."

"Well, that myth had one hell of an effect on my mind. Here's hoping that we can find out how he stayed hidden for so long," Alex said.

"Inari, you there? Commander Sunara, come in please!" Priya's voice came in over the comms line.

"I'm here love! Bringing the Commodore and the remaining crew with him down to the Dead Snows," Inari told her lover.

"That's awesome news! I think I might have found something that they all might be interested in!" Pree told her.

"What did you find Lieutenant?" Kasumi asked.

"I think we found the old man's home! It looks like its been lived in for a while and there's a lot of interesting stuff here!" she enthused.

"Can you tell us who found this place?" Alex called out, his voice almost demanding an answer.

"Commodore sir! It's good to hear your voice! Several of High Chieftaness Valessa's honor guard, led by Consort Sohlkris, found it! It was buried in several wrecks, in a place where the Tahskuun beasts roamed constantly!" the east Indian woman replied.

"Has anyone tried going in?" Korsa asked worriedly.

"No one has even dared to try, doctor. With what happened to the Commodore earlier, no one was eager to go in and risk setting off any possible traps. They are currently holding position, not letting anyone in or near the area, per my orders," Priya responded.

"Well done Lieutenant! We should be down there shortly and will want to have look at this place immediately!" Alex told her as the Hermes broke into the midday skies of Talemkha.

"Thank you, sir! I have dispatched Delta squad to your landing zone, and they will escort you to the wreckage the moment you land," Priya told him.

"Understood Lieutenant. Hermes out," Inari told her before killing the connection.

The ship maneuvered its way through the atmosphere, heading toward the graveyard of ships. It didn't take long for them to locate the LZ and bring the ship down. As Pree had promised, Sentry squad delta was waiting for their arrival. Inari brought the Hermes in gently and opened up the ramp as they landed. The Sentries, per their orders, saluted the crew, then turned and started marching off, leading the way to the old man's home.

The crew followed along, their weapons ready and their eyes open. Though the old man was gone in every sense, having left behind nothing more than a pile of rags, they were still careful. In unexplored areas like this, it was prudent to be on your guard,l rather than careless. Being careless in such places, would often get you killed. As they drew closer to a massive cluster of wrecks, the crew noted the state of the area.

"Did you check this area at all Luminia?" Korsa wondered, noting the collection of garbage and carcasses that lay strewn around the place.

"No. My father and I knew that this was the Tashkuun's sleeping and eating grounds. We didn't search this place because we believed anything smaller than them would have been torn apart and eaten," Lumi replied.

"A sensible way of thinking, given what you knew at the time," Kasumi told her.

"I agree. You had no way of knowing that the old bastard was holed up right here, underneath their noses the whole time," Alex assented.

"But why did the Tashkuun beasts not sense him? Their ability to sniff out their prey is second to none."

"Maybe they knew he was there. Maybe... they were afraid of him," Shazza suggested. Everyone shivered at the thought but had to admit that it made logical sense. Especially in light of what the old man could do. Being able to hold down everyone present, including the Sentries, as naturally as breathing? That made for some scary suppositions.

"Commodore! Over here!" Priya called out. They made their way through one wreck, finding the Lieutenant waiting for them on the other side of it. She stood in front of another broken ship, this one of an unknown alien design, waving her arms frantically. The moment they saw her, everyone double timed it, knowing that something was amiss.

"Lieutenant, what is it?"

"It's the other chiefs. Some of them made their way over here after we had found this zone and demanded to start exploring. Especially that arrogant jackass, Vaaltime?" Pree told them.

"Vahltiem and yes, he is a 'jackass'," Lumi replied with a smirk.

"He's demanding to go in and look around, even though he's oblivious of the possible danger of this place. Valessa's honor guard are keeping them at bay, but only until Valessa arrives. The chiefs in question are sure that Valessa will side with them on this," Pree finished.

"Not if we have anything to say about it," Alex said, clenching his metallic fists and striding forward.

The crew didn't have to go far to find the group of chiefs and their honor guard. They just followed the angry and irate voices, that were rising in pitch. The Artucian must have heard them coming, as several of the honor guard and guests parted, making way for the crew. The ranting continued, until Alex, Korsa, Natalya, Kasumi, Shazza and Luminia arrived.

"What is going on here?!? I was told that everyone here was looking on going into the old man's home!" Lumi stated, removing her helmet so everyone could see who was addressing them. Some of the chiefs immediately stepped back, knowing now who they were dealing with.

"It was agreed upon that we would search through the wrecks and determine what would be divided. We decided that whatever lies in that old man's home, belongs to us, the chiefs of the Artucian!" Vahltiem argued.

"This is the home of the Ghost of the Ages! Have you all forgotten how he froze us, like we were nothing more than frightened children?" Lumi shot back. Her comment had some effect, as some of the honor guard backed off immediately, their faces masked with fear.

"Which is why it must be explored! The secrets that Ghost knew must be known!" the pompous chief railed.

"Such power cannot be trusted to just anyone! Have you forgotten the Yahk'shurt already? What if they had known of this power when they attacked you? Our weapons would not have been enough to stop them! Power, when in the wrong hands, can do immeasurable damage, beyond what even the wisest can forsee!" Alex ranted, stepping up to Vahltiem as he opened his faceplate.

Alex knew that avaricious gleam in the chief's eyes. He wanted power for power's sake, to wield it as he saw fit, rather than for the betterment of those around him. He glared at the obstinate man before him, letting his anger and hatred bleed through. He saw the man and those who stood with him, shuffle back slightly. What Alex and his crew did not see, was that his eyes were glowing with that same violet energy as from before.

"Why is everyone looking like they are ready to do battle here??" Valessa interrupted as she walked in on the group of people.

Vahltiem and the other chiefs who stood with them, made their case, explaining why they should go into the Ghost's home. Alex and Luminia stated their stance, about why the domicile should be left to the crew of the Perseus. Valessa winced as she spoke, clearly not liking what the law compelled her to do.

"Because of the agreement that lies in place, I am afraid that the law is in favor of the Artucian," Valessa began. Vahltiem looked exultant and smug, knowing that this time, he was in the right.

"Just a moment. There is the clause of extenuating circumstances, concerning items of great and dangerous levels of power," Lumi interrupted. She tapped a few sequences into her gauntlet and brought up the agreement that the Artucian had signed. She then highlighted the section that outlined what she was speaking about. The remainder of the chiefs backed down, recognizing this part of the agreement. Luminia then read the paragraph aloud.

"All items deemed of worth to the Artucian will be given to the Artucian people, unless the item(s) in question happen to be of powerful or dangerous origins. Such items include weapons, tools, energy sources and knowledge of any and all kinds. The crew of the Perseus will then take custody of said items, until it they have been deemed safe and the Artucian people fully understand the risks associated with such items."

Hearing this, Vahltiem's face went from exultation to cold fury, glaring hatefully at Lumi. Everyone else nodded at this, as nearly all Artucian who could read, were familiar with the agreement and its clauses. The entirety of the group then backed away, leaving Vahltiem facing down the crew on his own.

"It seems that my daughter has won her case on this. Such knowledge must be studied until it can be deemed safe, as per the treaty we have all signed," Valessa stated, a slight smile finding its way onto her face.

With a grunt of anger, Vahltiem bowed to Valessa, acknowledging her position and interpretation of the law. He then turned on his heel and stormed away, his guards following him. The other chiefs dispersed, along with their guards, leaving this matter to the crew of the Perseus. Valessa turned to her and smiled, pride shining through her face as she beamed.

"You, my dearest one, are thinking and acting like a chieftaness should! It was nice to see someone else put that stubborn ass in his place!" Valessa chuckled.

"If that had failed, I would have put my foot up his ass!" Kas mumbled a little too loudly.

"Had you have done that there would have been one hell of an incident!" Alex told her with a level look. "But, at the same time, I would have wished to have a beer and some popcorn, so I could watch the show!"

Everyone guffawed at this admission, while Valessa and Luminia looked at the group with puzzlement.

"What is this, 'popcorn'?" Valessa asked.

"It's something you eat when you are about to watch or see some thing that would be considered... entertaining," Korsa explained.

"Oh!" Valessa said, realization of what Alex meant, dawning on her and all Artucian present. They all smiled and laughed a bit, enjoying idea of watching a pompous ass like Vahltiem, getting his ass kicked. Their mirth died down though as the crew turned their attention back to more important matters.

"Well, we have a job to do," Alex stated as he walked forward.

The honor guard stepped aside and let the man inside. The home looked to be a collection of various pieces from the crashed ships. There were shelves that were of human design, a table that was of Zsaltriss origin, and a chair that was made by Takharian hands. The domicile was littered with various artifacts and trinkets everywhere.

The one thing that dominated the space though, was books. Tomes of various shapes and sizes were everywhere and in various languages. Most of the books appeared to be old, with the pages cracking and the bindings nearly falling apart. The crew would have walked in, but something held them back from walking forth.

"Are we sure that this place isn't rigged with some kind of trap?" Nats wondered. In response, Alex tapped his left shoulders and a small, spherical drone floated out of it, flying outwards. Alex gave it a search command and the drone floated through the large room, scanning everything in sight. A few minutes later, the drone chirped out its findings.

"No traps detected. It is safe to proceed, Commodore."

Alex then disembarked from his suit, walking around the large table, taking in the items that were strewn around the room.

"Is that really wise sir? Walking out of your suit?" Kasumi worried.

"You can't spend the rest of your life hiding like a turtle in a shell Captain. You have to be willing to take risks from time to time. Like the risks you took earlier," Alex told her, giving her a knowing look. Kasumi blushed and inwardly admitted that he was right. She had taken a chance on both him and Nats. Though the context and situation was different, the essence of what he said was the same.

"That and I don't want to crush anything that could be of use. I don't recognize any of these books, or this writing. Doctor, Ambassador, can either of you make sense of it?" Alex asked.

"Can't make heads nor tails of it, sir. I recommend that we take all of this up to the Perseus, so we can give Jaesa a crack at it," Korsa told him.

"Maybe even let Taal'ani have a go? She's good at figuring out codes and ciphers," Pree offered.

"We'll do both. Warrant Officer Taal'ani, come in please. Warrant Officer Taal'ani, are you there?" Alex spoke, directing his voice to the communicator.

"Yes sir. I read you loud and clear," Talon responded, her image coming through clearly.

"How is the progress of your teachings? Are the Artucian learning as well as Doctor Korsa has expected?" the big man wondered.

"They have and then some, sir! The Keepers here are a retentive lot, eager to learn whatever I teach them! Why do you ask?"

"I have a new assignment for you. I want you to come back aboard the Perseus and work with Jaesa in deciphering some writings we have found," Alex explained.

"Writings? What kinds of writings?" she queried, her curiosity waking up.

"The kind of writings that even have Korsa and Luminia stumped as to what they mean. We require your code breaking expertise to make any level of headway with this," he told her.

"I take it that it's related to the incident in the Dead Snows from several hours ago?" she responded.

"You would assume correctly. Though helping the Artucian people remains a priority, this one has just reached the same urgency level. We need translations on our findings ASAP. If you require further details, speak with Captain McKenzie at the end of the day with Commander Sunara. She'll fill you both in," he replied.

"Understood sir. I'll send for a pickup once my lesson here is complete and be up on the Perseus within the hour. Talon, out," she finished before the line went dark.

"So, we're getting all of these items and books out of here?" Natalya asked.

"We can't study them all here, as this place is too small and it will get crowded. I also don't trust that Vahltiem, or any of his other supporters. I have a feeling they might try something," he said, sounding concerned.

"Although this is allowed by our agreement, the chiefs will not approve of this," Valessa stated.

"We have no intent to keep this information to ourselves. There will be a sharing of information, but I'd rather we took the risk, than let you try something. You could wind up destroying yourselves because someone like Vahltiem will do something reckless and stupid," Alex explained.

"You could also wind up doing something just as reckless, without knowing what you are doing," Valessa reminded him. "But I do see the intent behind it as altruistic, so I will allow it."

"Thank you, High Chieftaness."

"Rest assured mother, I will do everything I can to see that anything that concerns the Artucian is shared. This is our history, of which too much has been lost," Luminia told her.

"I know you will. I leave this in your capable hands and will have my honor guard help in any way they can. Sohlkris," she called out. Her consort walked forward, and she leaned into him, speaking in hushed tones, so only he could hear her. The moment she was done speaking, he nodded and smiled, before leaving and walking out of the room.

"My honor guard will ensure that no one harasses you as you transport these writings. Sohlkris has also gone to inform the other chiefs of what has transpired, so no one will dare to try anything foolish," Valessa said to them.

"We appreciate the assistance, High Chieftaness. Ladies, we might as well start carrying these up to the Hermes," Alex stated as he carefully took a small stack of books in hand and walked over to the Phalanx suit, placing them in its hands before he got back into it. The women hopped to, picking up the other stacks of books and papers, before filing out.

There were honor guards keeping an eye on the entryway and they looked interested in the tomes the crew were carrying. Maybe a few dozen meters from them, a quartet of Sentries were walking up to them, each one carrying a large, rectangular crate between them. Alex was surprised to see this and more so when he found that the crates were empty.

"As we were looking over everything, I figured it would be prudent to make it easier to carry everything over. I called Inari and had her pick up some empty crates and footlockers, so we could transport everything with as little hassle as possible," Priya informed her ship mates.

"Good initiative! It will make emptying this hoard much easier!" Kasumi smiled as she placed her stack of books into one of the opened containers. The rest of the crew shared her enthusiasm, as they too, deposited their items in the crate. As they moved back and forth between the abandoned home and the waiting Sentries, it didn't take long before they were filled.

The Sentries quickly sealed, then marched off with the crates, with another quartet of Sentries arriving with more crates. The crew quickly developed a rhythm, with the removal of every item and book that wasn't nailed down. In less than a couple of hours, the entirety of the domicile had been emptied, categorized and shipped off to the landing zone.

"Looks like Talon and Jaesa are going to have their hands full with all of this! I swear, it was like a small library in there!" Natalya grimaced.

"There was also an interesting collection of artifacts that seemed, well, odd. I really do hope that we learn something from all of this," Korsa stated.

"Indeed. Though, it is getting dark out, so we should probably call it a day and head on back," Alex said as he looked up to the orange sky. Afternoon was in its final moments, giving way to twilight, before it would become full evening.

"Commander Sunara, do you copy?" Alex called, tapping his fingers to the side of his helmet.

"Yes sir. I'm sitting here at the LZ, just waiting on the Sentries to finish loading those crates, before we start boarding," she replied.

"Very good, Commander. Have you retrieved Warrant Officer Taal'ani?"

"Did that over an hour ago sir. She's currently aboard the Perseus, awaiting our return. When you get here sir, I have a report complied of what we've managed to accomplish today," she finished.

"I look forward to reading it!"

The team trudged through the wreckage of the destroyer that had hidden the hermit's home. It didn't take them long to emerge from the debris, coming out to the open area where the Hermes waited. Inari was waiting by the ramp of the ship, helmet in hand, talking with some Artucian who stood with her. Sentries continued their sweeps as they walked back to the ship, ready to head back aboard the Perseus.