Project - Prometheus Ch. 25

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That almost sounds like a fairy tale story," Alex commented with a smirk.

"Veldhern and the lives its medicines have saved is one of the few bright spots in a very dark galaxy," Korsa said seriously.

"I can attest to that," Natalya replied darkly.

"This shows that such cruelty transcends the boundaries of species," Shazza agreed.

"Anyway, we should all hop to and get ready for arrival in the Veldhern system. I have a feeling that it's going to be a busy day," Inari stated.

"Of that, I have no doubt. I'll make some pancakes and bacon, unless anyone here objects?" Alex suggested.

"Pancakes?" Shazza asked curiously.

"I keep forgetting, there are those aboard who have limited experience with human food," Alex chuckled.

"You remember those waffles I brought you a while back, when you were still in the brig?" Kasumi asked, directing the question as the Xuul'khani woman. Shazza was confused for a moment, before her eyes lit up in remembrance.

"Pancakes are... like waffles?" she asked with a smile.

"Soft, light and fluffy versions of waffles," Alex told her, which had the woman's eyes widen in delight.

"Teach me how to make them?" she asked hopefully.

"Hey, me too!" Natalya replied, hopping to her feet.

"Of course! Come along then, you two! It's really a very simple recipe," Alex said as he left the room with the women in tow.

"Well, I need to check on Tahral, see how he's recovering. Care to join me, Talon?" Korsa wondered. Without a word, Taal'ani was on her feet and right behind Korsa as the big woman left the bridge area.

"Stanley, have there been any issues with the ship while we've been asleep?" Inari called out.

"Nothing noteworthy, Captain. Jaesa, Delilah and I have been minding the systems and everything is within normal parameters," the VI replied happily.

"Thank you, Stanley. Continue your duties until we are ready to resume command of the Darkstrider," she commanded.

"Understood, Captain."

"So, I think a shower is in order, don't you?" Inari asked her lover.

"Damn straight it is!" Priya replied gingerly. "I fully expect you to massage and rub away the soreness that's making me walk funny!"

"Always, love. Always."

******************************

Alex, Natalya and Shazza were busy making pancakes in the galley, the women paying attention to how it was made. The big man had been a good teacher, showing them each step and having them replicate it, before they moved along. They were chattering idly, going on about how much to make as they flipped their breakfast on the hot griddle. An idea came to Alex in that moment, and he called out to the ship-borne VI.

"Stanley, can you contact Jaesa please?" he asked.

"Yes, sir! Contacting," the VI replied, before responding a few seconds later. "Contact established. Go ahead."

"Thank you, Stanley. Jaesa?"

"Yes, Commodore sir?" Jaesa replied, just as chipper as ever.

"Have you made any progress with the translations from the books and knowledge we gleaned from the hermit's home?" he wondered.

"Sorry sir, but that's a negative. With the languages I have loaded into my cortex, I have made very little progress concerning proper translations. I have deduced one interesting thing about the texts we took," she replied.

"Which is?"

"It doesn't appear to be a dialect of just one language, but of multiple languages. Some languages known to humanity have helped, but not enough to make sense of it," Jaesa grumped.

"Jaesa, do you have a full and proper grasp on Xuul'khani?" Shazza wondered when she had a moment.

"I have the basics of your language. Why? Is there more than just the basic dialect of it?" Jaesa wondered.

"There are seven separate dialects of the Xuul'khani language," Shazza informed her.

"Seven?!? And how many of those dialects do you speak?" Jaesa squeaked.

"I speak four of them and know a fifth well enough. Would you like me to teach you more about these dialects?" Shazza offered.

"If it helps with breaking down the translations, then yes, please!" Jaesa enthused.

"Give me a few minutes to finish up here and I'll come and speak to you directly about these variants of my language," the Xuul'khani woman told her.

"Thank you!" Jaesa enthused.

"Maybe you should also have a word with both Taal'ani and Korsa? They also have languages that I'm sure you don't have added to your database," Natalya suggested.

"An excellent suggestion!" Alex stated as he finished with the last of the pancakes. "I'm wondering why the hell I didn't figure that out sooner!"

"To be fair, you're not the only one who didn't think of it," Natalya admitted.

"Probably because I assumed that because Jaesa is an AI, she would have figured out each language in its entirety," Alex mumbled.

"I did so, but most of it was theory and cobbled together via algorithms I had drawn up for that purpose. I was correct in surmising there was over one dialect of each language, but required someone who spoke them to correct me," Jaesa replied.

"Do I need to tell you the old saying about making assumptions, sir?" Natalya asked in a sassy tone.

"Nope! My dad, Commodore Hamilton, he'd cuff me upside the head for making assumptions," Alex laughed, waving his hands in surrender to the woman.

"Good. Now, Jaesa, would you mind informing the crew that breakfast is ready? If they want it, they need to come and get it," Natalya commanded.

"I have already done so, Lieutenant. Some are already on the way," Jaesa laughed.

Almost on cue, the doors to the galley opened to admit the Artucian, who were excited to have themselves some pancakes. Luminia was especially excited, as pancakes were a new favorite food for her. Alex ran a couple of plates up to Inari and Priya, who were busy going over the systems before getting ready for the drop from hyperspace. They took them and dug in, thanking the man, before he vanished to get himself a plate.

"Mmmm! These pancakes, they are amazing!" Inari mumbled around a mouthful of the pastry.

"Yup! I'd say you've got some stiff competition, love. At least as far as pancakes go!" Priya snickered.

"Is that so?"

"Yes, that's so. You'll need to learn what Alex does to make them so fluffy!" Priya murmured, stuffing her face.

"Hmm! I may just do that," Inari replied, finishing up her plate before setting it aside. "How does the hyperdrive look Nats?"

"Everything is green and has been since we jumped. Ready to drop whenever you are ready!" Natalya called up through the comms.

Inari then looked at the hyperspace chart and thought about dropping in just a bit outside of the system. Since it was Veldhern and the security over the system was heavy, she thought it might be prudent to do so. Give the sitting fleet time to query and identify them, so nothing was flagged.

"All right, Pree. We're going to drop out a few seconds early," Inari informed her XO.

"A courtesy to the fleet?" Priya guessed.

"Yup! Prepare to do a hyperspace drop in three... two... one!" Inari told her, giving the order. Priya then gently eased the lever back, dropping the Darkstrider out of hyperspace. They were sitting in real space for all of ten seconds, when a transmission burst in over the comms.

"Unidentified frigate, this is Veldhern station. Identify yourself and state your business," a brusque male voice called in over the comms. A quartet of fighters buzzed right past them, letting Inari know that replying to the demand was the best call.

"This is Captain Inari Sunara, of the merchant vessel Darkstrider. We have come to Veldhern looking to do some business at Veldhern station," Inari told the operator on the other end.

"Darkstrider, transmit your merchant credentials and await further instructions," the operator replied.

"Transmitting."

The crew then waited for the transmission to complete and for the station to look everything over. They only had to wait maybe four minutes before they got a response.

"Credentials accepted, Darkstrider. Follow the flightpath we've laid out for you and our fighters will escort you in. Deviation from the flightpath will be taken as an act of aggression," the voice told her.

"Acknowledged Veldhern station. Course received and accepted," Inari replied, firing up the engines and following the course the station sent.

"That went a lot easier than expected," Priya commented.

"Everyone loosens up a little when they hear you're looking to spend some money," Taal'ani giggled over a cup of java as she approached from behind.

"That's true! So, where is Veldhern?" Alex asked as he ambled up, decked out in a civilian getup.

"The system comprises several planets, the outer ones are gas giants, where helium-3 is collected. Veldhern is the fourth planet in the system and should be visible right... now!" Inari said.

Right on cue, Veldhern was revealed for the crew to see. It was a beautiful blue and green marble in their viewport, peaceful and serene. The only thing that marred it was a large piece of it missing, like someone had taken a bite out of the planet. Around that missing piece of it was an intricate latticework of cables and connecting struts. Everyone on board was staring in awe at the planet which left Inari laughing.

"You should see your faces!" she giggled.

The Darkstrider kept to its flightpath, the fighters only breaking away when they were within visual distance of the station. A large battlefleet meandered around the station, staying in proximity to it and the planet. It was comprised of two battleships, six cruisers, a dozen destroyers and dozens more frigates, corvettes and fighters.

"That's one of the defense fleets that guards Veldhern?" Kasumi blurted out.

"Yup. One hell of a pirate deterrent, isn't it?" Priya chuckled.

"I'd say so! The only chance any pirates would have is to run a stealth operation, smuggling the goods under the noses of the Customs and Security!" Alex stated.

"They've tried that. Still do, but almost no one is ever successful. Anyone who is, never manages it the second time around," Natalya laughed.

"Sounds like the bigwigs who run this place want it staying as a secure port!" Shazza mentioned.

"That they do. The level of security is military grade, so as long as everyone obeys the rules, we should be all right," Priya told them. "Kas, you mind guiding us in? Inari and I need to get changed."

"No problem! Just be ready to debark!" she called to the retreating women. Kasumi guided the ship in, before she felt the ship being pulled in by the Veldhern Port Authority. They slowed to stop, before they felt the docking clamps latch onto the ship.

"Well, I guess we should get ready to have a look around then," Alex stated as he helped his lover out of her seat. Everyone then adjourned to the airlock, even Jaesa, before she was stopped.

"Jaesa, you need to stay on the ship," Alex told her.

"But sir, I would like to step off an explore the station," Jaesa protested.

"Not today. The scanners out there would likely detect you as an AI, and that's something we can't risk," he told her.

"I hate to say it Jaesa, but the Commodore is right. Unless you have a disguise matrix put together like Shazza's, you will need to stay behind," she informed the AI. "They have scanners that will detect you as an AI."

"If I cannot go out with the crew, may I at least work on my personal projects with Stanley and Delilah?" Jaesa asked, somewhat dejectedly.

"While we are in port, you may," Alex told her. Hearing this brightened the AI's mood, and she was off to the workshop.

The crew smiled and laughed as they watched her go, while they all clustered up by the ship's exit. They debarked and walked on out towards the customs area, where another ship crew had passed by. The collection of aliens that stepped off the Darkstrider had some officials puzzled, but they made it like it was an everyday occurrence.

"Captain Sunara?" one official asked.

"That's me. What was it you needed?" she asked, stepping forward.

"Just for everyone to stand still, while we conduct a scan of who they are," the official told her. She nodded while everyone stood in place while the scanners went to work. A few seconds later, the scanners finished and the surrounding light went yellow.

"Is something wrong?" Inari wondered.

"You have an unidentified species among your crew. They will have to stay put until we have a medical professional verify they are no danger to anyone on the station," the official told her.

"That will not be necessary. I have already conducted my scans of the physiology of these people and can say with confidence that they are no danger," Korsa stated.

"Be that as it may, we still will require a proper workup of—" the official stated before he was cut off. His computer beeped as something on the screen caught his eye.

"My credentials as a doctor in various fields, including xenobiology, along with my findings of these three individuals," Korsa told him, having anticipated this scenario and sent an information packet before they left the Darkstrider.

"Oh! I see! Just one moment please," he told her as he looked over the lab work Korsa had done on the Artucian. His eyes went wide at much of what he was reading, like he couldn't believe what he was reading.

"I notice that there is no chart or homeworld listed for these... Artucian?" he asked, looking over the trio of aliens.

"Under the Intergalactic Charter of the United Coalition of Worlds, newly introduced species are allowed to keep the co-ordinates of their homeworld secret, to prevent exploitation of any number of their people, until the period of two years has passed, or until the race has understood and acclimated to galactic culture," Luminia told him with a smile.

"You have studied Galactic Law?" the official asked, impressed with her answer.

"As the Ambassador to the Artucian people, it is my duty to do so. The doctor has imparted you with the medical knowledge necessary to show that we are no threat to the people aboard Veldhern station. Does this not suffice?" she queried, speaking and looking every inch the affronted dignitary.

"You are correct, Ambassador...?" he asked.

"Luminia of the Ahl'Kanin clan," the woman supplied.

"Yes, Ambassador Luminia. You and the doctor have provided everything necessary. But I will still require the names of your compatriots before I can allow you through," the official stated nervously.

"Tahral, of the Ahl'Kanin clan."

"Aesha of the Ahl'Kanin clan," the woman replied, giving her name as Tahral had.

"Very good. If the three of you would go and see the registrar in the station, he will issue you your galactic ID's. I have already forwarded him your information, so they should be forthcoming with little issue," the Customs official told them.

"Thank you," Inari replied, happy to have this matter resolved.

"One additional thing that you must be aware of while here at Veldhern station," the man continued, telling them this last bit of info. "Carrying your weapons here is permitted, but you are not allowed to draw or discharge them. This includes any hand to hand combat weapons, doctor."

"As long as the station is as safe as advertised, there will be no need," Korsa smiled, patting her Thuun'tara blade.

"Next!" the man called out to the next crew that had lined up behind them. The crew passed through the doors that were watched by armed guards and security mechs. Though stone-faced for the most part, a couple of the guards cracked a smile at the women passing by them. The crew was through and were now in the main concourse of Veldhern station, which awed them all.

Despite knowing much about this place, the original crew of the Darkstrider had never been here. The whole place was clean and well maintained, with many well-dressed people going about their business. It was also beautiful, with some examples of flora and fauna from the planet below growing in flower beds and pots.

"This is a far cry from Seerahn!" Alex mumbled, awed that such beauty could exist up here in space.

"Yup! Now, before we all head our separate ways for what we're looking for, everyone will need these!" Inari told them, holding a fistful of credsticks.

"How much loaded on these?" Korsa asked, taking one of the sticks offered.

"I decided on the amount of one hundred thousand per stick, with the addition of these," she said, handing one directly to Korsa. The Khontaran woman's eyes bugged out of her head when she saw the amount of five million credits on the second stick.

"I know the meds here and the equipment can be pricey. I hope that's enough for what you have in mind?" Inari queried.

"More than enough!" Korsa grinned. "Who's coming with me for the medical stuff?"

"I'll come with. I guess I need to learn more about what's what with all the medical tech and such today," Kasumi shrugged, walking up to the big woman.

"I might as well come along. As long as we stop by to look at what engineer's toys they have," Natalya replied.

"Deal!" Korsa smiled as the trio left, heading to the medical side of the concourse.

"Well, we're off to see the merchants and mining corps about what we need for..." Inari stated, letting the last bit hang. It let them know what she was talking about, while keeping them from being overheard or exposed.

"I'll come along with for that. What about the rest of you?" Alex wondered, directing his question to Shazza, Taal'ani and the Artucian.

"I'm thinking we might do something touristy. We have the money to do some stuff that tourists would do here!" Taal'ani gushed, having always wanted to go to Veldhern since she was a girl. The rest of them nodded enthusiastically, having never experienced being on a planet so beautiful.

"All right, then. Make sure to stay out of trouble!" Alex laughed, dismissing them. With that, they were gone, heading off to learn more about the planet.

"You sure it's wise to let them head off like that?" Priya asked.

"I'm sure that between Taal'ani and Shazza, they'll be fine. Besides, it's not like this is a place where we have to watch ourselves too much," Alex stated.

"Agreed, and it's not like they're children who need their hands held. So, who should we see first?" Priya asked.

"Probably the bigger corps. They would likely have the materials we need, seeing as they've probably been around here longest," Inari reasoned.

Agreeing with the woman, they left and headed off to the section of the concourse that advertised the mining aspect of Veldhern. There were at least a couple dozen different vendors of various minerals, but none so far had what they needed. Much of the minerals mined were used in everyday applications and structures. There were some that dealt with starships and their construction, but they were few.

It took a little while, but they finally located a dealer that had the materials they were looking for. It was a smaller company than they'd expected, but as long as they had the minerals they were looking for, the size didn't matter. It was an alien owned company, called Nachal'Derm Mining Co., which specialized in finding and extracting minerals and materials for the construction and use of hyperdrives.

There were several beings that minded the store, which were alien to Alex's eyes. They stood upon a tripod of legs, while walking as speedily as a human would. Their skin was a yellowish brown that looked almost barklike in appearance, yet shifted and moved like regular skin. They were thinner than humans were, but not by much.

By the timbre of their voices, the beings were male, and their features also said as much. They had little in the manner of hair, as each one of them was bald, but their bodies, arms and faces were decidedly humanoid. They spoke in hums and booms, using vowels more than consonants in their speech. The clothes they wore were more earthy in tone and were tailored to each being specifically.