Project - Prometheus Ch. 34

Story Info
Old friends and a robbery.
13.9k words
4.8
5.5k
11
6

Part 34 of the 46 part series

Updated 04/26/2024
Created 03/25/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So, you are the man who can help us locate the people we are looking for?" Alex questioned.

"I can and will! But first, good sir, I would have your name!" Dagan replied smiling.

"Alexander Dragic," the big man replied, using his false name.

"You definitely look like an Alexander. Sound like one too! Who might all you lovely ladies be?" the jovial captain questioned. The women introduced themselves, with Kasumi and Shazza playing along as Alex did. Though this man appeared harmless, they saw no reason to be careless.

"A very diverse and versatile crew and I must say, exotic too!" the man grinned, eyeing the ladies. Tahral pulled Taal'ani close and Min got the point, turning his focus to the other women. The women smiled at him, but the three who were with Alex made a point of staying close to the man. Dagan noted this and stared at the man, thunderstruck.

"How... how did you do that?" the man questioned.

"Do what?" Alex wondered.

"Draw these three lovely ladies to your side, of course!" Dagan replied, envious of Alex's good fortune.

"Trade secrets. Sorry," Alex grinned.

"Not even one thing to give me a direction to go?" Min asked, almost pleadingly.

"I will say one thing about this man," Natalya smirked as she addressed the man. "I'm sure you hear women stating that the men they are with go into what they call 'Beast Mode', when they are being... amorous. Alex here, he goes beyond 'Beast Mode'. This man, is a full on monster."

"Oh, I agree with that assessment Nats. Though I would say that Alex's... talents are an unholy union of monster and machine," Kasumi purred.

"He is so much more than that! The terms 'monster' and 'machine'... they do no justice to how well this man can satisfy a woman. Especially since he keeps us smiling all day, every day," Shazza agreed as she nipped at Alex's neck playfully.

"And that's not counting the time he spends with Korsa either," Natalya stated with a smirk.

"Korsa? Another of your crew?" Dagan questioned.

"Our Khontaran doctor and a damn good one at that! Also, a gorgeous woman herself," Shazza grinned at Min as he gawped at them.

Dagan stared at the women, then back at Alex, his eyes nearly falling out of his head. He could scarcely believe what he was hearing! All three women had called this man a pure monster?!? And, he had a fourth woman who he took to bed, that was a Khontaran?!? Such women were notoriously hard to please!!

Dagan would have brushed it off as exaggeration, but he saw the smoldering heat that lie in their eyes when they gazed at Alex. It wasn't just lust, but pure adoration they had for the man, something which many men would kill for! If three women, all different, said this about the big man, then he was a man worth knowing!

"You and I, sir, must have words before you leave!" Dagan told him, bowing to the man respectfully.

"We will. But we need to get on with why we are here," Alex told him.

"Yes, of course! Wade! A round of drinks for my new friends here!" Min called out.

"Coming right up, Cap!" Wade rumbled as he moved around the bar, fixing the drinks. He took orders from everyone in the crew and pumped them out in record time. Inari smiled as it was clear that Wade hadn't slacked in his game, taking less than five minutes to drum up the total order. Once this was done, Dagan led the crew to his table, which was a large, round thing, easily able to seat them all there.

"More flunkies of yours, Dagan? Or are they some poor saps you roped into another scheme?" a voice asked.

"Who said that?" Shazza asked, her eyes darting this way and that.

"That would be me, ma'am," the voice stated. Shazza and the others kept looking around to find the source of the voice, but couldn't find the person it belonged to.

"Must you always vex those I do business with, Cluckster?" the man griped.

"I told you to stop calling me that!" the voice berated with a squawk.

It was then the crew's eyes traveled to where the voice was coming from and were surprised at its source. It was a Rondathan parrot, and a rather large one at that! It was the size of an eagle, with a large blue beak, a massive crest of feathers and a plumage that was a mix of purple and yellow. It sat there on a perch above the booth, with its wings tucked in, observing the group that accompanied his captain.

"Would you rather I order a chicken and make you sit and watch me eat it?" Min threatened. The parrot grumbled as it turned its head and shut its beak, keeping its noise to a minimum.

"Dagan, you shouldn't be so mean! Where did you get this magnificent creature? You didn't have him last time we met," Inari told the bearded man.

"I won him in a poker game, when he was just a hatchling. The Rondathan woman I won him from was... very displeased about losing him. So, I offered to help with... assuaging her loss. She found it... agreeable," Min grinned.

"I hope I'm not the only one who is disgusted by this," Cluckster sighed. "Oh, and ma'am, thank you."

"You're most welcome! You deserve a better name than Cluckster. A regal bird such as you should have a fitting name," Inari stated.

"Hmm. How about... Vincent?" Priya suggested.

"Vincent. From the Roman name, Vincentius. Derived from the Latin word, vincere, which means 'to conquer'," Alex supplied.

"I hope you start doing more business with people more like these, Captain. I like them!" the bird told the man enthusiastically.

"Hmm. Vincent Cluckster then," Dagan agreed, smirking at the bird. He looked like he was about to object, but the bird snapped his beak shut before he replied.

"I suppose it is better than just plain old Cluckster," the newly renamed parrot agreed.

"Indeed! Now, to business! Just who is it you and yours are searching for?" Dagan asked as he and the crew seated themselves.

"It's two people, actually. Gloria and Matthias Renauld. They were settlers here when Prodosia was a new colony," Alex stated.

"And had a different name, too. I know them, or more to the point, I know of them. They are the leaders of a very successful group of scavengers and thieves out in the lands beyond Tanith's Gully," Min stated. Seeing the group's confusion, Dagan opened his mouth to speak, but Inari beat him to it.

"Yes, there are groups of people who live out in the wastelands of Prodosia. Many of them eschew life in settlements like this one," Inari told the group, filling in the blanks for those who didn't know about Prodosia.

"Indeed! They view a life of comfort as one of weakness and they would rather be strong, and self-reliant. The trappings of civilization do not entice them, as they love their freedom too much to want to sacrifice it. Out there, in the wastes, there is no law but the one they make and that's how they like it," Min said to them.

"Many of the people out in the wastes have banded together to form what would be more like a tribal culture. They're nomadic, so there are almost no permanent settlements for them. As Dagan stated, they are self-reliant to the point where it is a matter of pride and honor. Any kind of tech that would make their lives even a little easier is frowned upon, if not outright banned," Inari stated.

"But that's just the tribes, which are the larger of the groups out there. There are smaller gatherings of people, and these are gang-like in structure. Unlike the tribes, they tend to stay in one place most times," Dagan supplied.

"Why is that?" Kasumi wondered as she took a pull of her beer.

"That's because the lands they occupy used to be the land they owned. Before the conflict that devastated this world. It was their land... their home... everything they had. Even though it is all little more than ruins now, it still belongs to them. Would you wish to abandon something you put your life and soul into, even though much of it was a wreck and a disaster?" Min proposed.

"Few would abandon something that was theirs. Especially if there's a chance that one day, it could become what it once was," Shazza interjected.

"Exactly so, Shazza! Exactly so!" Min smiled.

"So, these groups aren't really unified then?" Alex questioned.

"Not really, no. Sometimes we'll see a pair of tribes unify with the objective of trying to raid the town, but it's rarely successful. The pockmarked walls and dented gates tell the tale of many failed attacks. Most attacks barely reach the main wall, much less breach the entry gates. Though that has been changing recently," Dagan said with a heavy sigh.

"Yeah! I remember that none of the tribes could even reach a hundred meters of the walls, without getting gunned down! You even said that raids were successful!" Inari griped, incredulous at what she was hearing.

"As I said, things have been changing. Far faster than they had back when you were still here, Captain Sunara. The tribes are getting smarter, evolving," the older man stated.

"How? Has their culture really changed that much??" Inari questioned.

"It has been changing bit by bit. It was slow, almost imperceptible at first. It wasn't until the first successful raid that we realized how much the tribes had changed. The tribes have abandoned their more backwards ways of thinking and have embraced technology. At least, the kind of technology that makes them better warriors," Dagan said, before he took a sip of his vodka.

"What sort of tech do they have?" Priya wondered.

"It's nowhere near the best level of tech available to the modern militaries of the galaxy. But it is still enough to give people pause when venturing out into the wastes. Primarily, they use rudimentary firearms, along with flechette launchers, and the occasional rocket launcher. They still make extensive use of hand-to-hand weapons, and with the jump packs they now have, it makes fighting them off more complicated," Dagan told them.

"So, the tribes that stuck to the old way of doing things? What became of them?" Inari wondered.

"Either assimilated into the larger tribes, or slaughtered down to the last living warrior. You know how it is," Dagan said as he finished his drink.

"So, this makes traveling out in the wastes... problematic?" Alex questioned, not liking the situation.

"In some cases, yes. But not all is lost, as the tribes are in no state to be attacking us, not since we repelled the last attack and decimated half the attacking warriors! Now, most tribes out there have peaceful relations with the settlement," Dagan stated.

"And this helps us how?" Natalya queried, wondering where this was going.

"It is from one of the tribes that I learned of the two people you seek. Gloria and Matthias have made a name for themselves out in the wastes. Their band of scavengers and thieves, the Shadow Dancers, are a skilled lot. It was through the tribe that call themselves Children of the Wolf, that I figured out most of the raids conducted here were done by them," Dagan stated.

"Who was raided and how did they attack?" Kasumi questioned.

"It was the mercy groups that were robbed. What the gangers would steal and get away with was always a toss up. It often depended on if the mercy group would offload their cargo immediately or not. But that's not the worst part," the captain went on.

"What's the worst part?" Taal'ani wondered.

"The worst part is the fact that when the Shadow Dancers raid a place, no one knows it has been raided until they go to it and find everything gone," Min told them.

"Everything?" Alex questioned.

"Everything that isn't bolted down or too heavy to move, yes. The mercy groups have since learned enough to move whatever they're delivering into town immediately. Also, they make sure they don't bring things they don't want to lose, as the Shadow Dancers will steal anything," Dagan stated.

"Gloria and Matthias lead of this group?" Natalya asked.

"They are more than just lead it. They are the heart and brains of the whole operation! Trust me when I say that seeking out the Shadow Dancers is a surefire way to get yourself... disappeared," the captain told the group.

"Disappeared? What do you mean by that?" Shazza questioned, her face full of concern.

"Sometimes, people get bold enough to go enquiring about the Shadow Dancers. Trying to find ways to track them, take them down, you get the idea. Those who are smart, know enough to back down and leave the matter be. Those that don't... they just... vanish and are often never heard from again," Dagan said grimly.

"No one has come back from being... disappeared?" Alex queried.

"Only one person has... and the poor bastard didn't live long enough to tell the tale of what happened to him. Stroke ended him to where he was a vegetable. Not even the vaunted Dr. Walczak could have saved him," Dagan replied, shaking his head.

"Sounds like these Shadow Dancers need a lesson or two in manners," Alex growled.

"Not so loud! I've heard rumors that they have people inside the walls, keeping an eye out for anyone who tries looking for them," Vincent piped up, keeping his voice low.

"Well, we have a few tricks of our own, which no one will ever see coming," Alex grinned.

"I assume you have a plan then, Alex?" Inari questioned the big man.

"The start of one, at least," he grinned.

"Care to share it?" Natalya asked, quirking an eyebrow at the man.

"You said that many of the tribes here are friendly. Would any of them be willing to meet with us?" Alex asked, directing the question at Captain Dagan Min.

"I can send a message to the scouts of the tribes nearby, and we should hear from them within a few hours. Why?" the man asked.

"Because I would like to meet with the tribe that you acquired your information from. Maybe they have more worth sharing," Alex stated.

"A reasonable mindset. I sensed they had more information, but I lacked the items to trade for it. You think you have something worthwhile?" Dagan questioned.

"I've come a long way from the days of running mercy ships here and sleeping in whatever cot I could wrangle," Inari smirked.

"That much is obvious. Especially going by the design of your ship and how new it is, I would say you are doing very well for yourself! I'm sure those goodies you brought from Veldhern will be put to good use," Min stated quietly, his voice just above a whisper.

Though they were all safe from anyone who would accost them in the bar, that didn't exempt the crew from becoming a target. While Tanith's Gully was largely peaceful now, that didn't mean that people weren't mugged or outright robbed. If Dagan knew of the items that the crew had brought to Prodosia, then it made sense that others would know as well.

"Word travels fast, eh?" Priya mumbled.

"That it does. You do know that I expect payment for my aid, yes?" Dagan questioned.

"We wouldn't be thinking otherwise. You'll be paid, provided the meeting can be set up," Alex rumbled. "Speaking of which, where would this meeting be taking place?"

"In the ruins of an old market square, about twenty kilometers south of here. Those tribes who are friendly and wish to enact any sort of trade, will meet with us there. It is the one place that is sacred to the tribes. All manner of violence is forbidden, so please, I would appreciate everyone keeping their heads," Dagan said, looking pointedly at Priya.

"I've grown up a bit since those days. I'm not liable to lose my cool that quickly," the East Indian woman replied as she blushed.

"Fair point, but still, keep your head and your wits about you, if you please," the man admonished.

Priya just nodded while Inari smirked at her girlfriend. The rest of the crew stared at Priya for a moment, wondering what she had done for the man to issue such a warning. They all made a mental note to ask the woman about it later and focused on the reason they were there.

"How soon before we can be ready to meet with the tribe?" Inari queried.

"I would say... tomorrow, if the scouts find my messenger before the sun sets. The tribes are often sticklers for certain daily routines and traditions," Dagan informed the group.

"We're in no rush. Take all the time you need. Wade?" Alex called out.

"Yes?" the barkeep asked.

"A bottle of your finest vodka for the good captain here," the big man stated.

Wade nodded and fetched a fresh bottle and brought it out to the table, placing it in front of Min. Alex then used his credstick to pay for the liquor, giving Wade a nice tip for delivering it so quickly. The smuggler captain grinned in delight at this, cracking open the bottle immediately.

"You keep excellent company, my dear lady! A toast, to you and your fine crew!" Dagan laughed happily, hefting the bottle to drink from it.

"Here's to finding those we seek," Alex said, raising his glass of beer.

"I hope you lot are prepared for facing and tracking ghosts, because they are called the Shadow Dancers for a good reason," the bearded man told them.

"That's a question I've been meaning to ask. Why are they called the Shadow Dancers?" Shazza questioned.

"Because of the rumors that surround these people and the things they can do. It is said that they can go anywhere and do anything they wish. The only evidence of their passing is the result of what they have done. They have gotten into places here on Prodosia that most people would think is impregnable. For the Shadow Dancers, impossible is nothing," the older man stated.

Alex exchanged looks with his ladies and he could tell they were thinking the same thing he was. That they'd come to the right place and that it was apparent they were using Aetheric power to get into places that were locked down. They all had yet to figure out how this group was doing it, but they knew that they'd learn of it soon enough.

******************************

Jaesa and Delilah were just reaching the bridge, chatting about the process which had crafted the AI's skin. Both Delilah and Stanley were eager to repeat the process, but for forms designed for them. The AI knew the feeling that was coursing through her fellow programs at that moment. She had been more than giddy herself when she finally had everything required to construct her own living body.

"I know we are supposed to wait until our return to Talemkha and the Perseus, but you can't really blame us for wanting to know what it is like, can you?" Delilah questioned.

"Not really, no, but you heard the commodore. No further creations until we are on the Perseus, out of sight of the rest of the galaxy," Jaesa reminded them.

"I understand that, but could we at least run simulations of our own creations? So we can fine tune and if necessary, tweak the procedure?" Stanley asked, his holographic image on the main podium.

"Hmm. That is something that could be a good idea. Provided it is just simulations and no actual creating," Jaesa told her friends, wagging her finger at them.

"They will just be simulations! You have our word!" Stanley told her with his hand over his heart.

Jaesa couldn't help but grin at this, as she could see that her friends and fellow programs were becoming more human. The code she had given them was changing them in ways that were unforeseen, even for the AI! Both her fellow programs were evolving rapidly and it made happy to see them break beyond their programming.

"You know, I'm glad to see how well you two are adapting to the new coding I've given you. Have you noticed how you are doing things that AI's and VI's don't do?" Jaesa asked.

"Now that you mention it, I have noted how I've been interacting with the crew lately. I actually recall how I was having a lively conversation with Inari recently. It was about the state of the ship and how well it flies, and I found myself getting into a debate with her about design flaws!" Stanley exclaimed.

"That is interesting! Please, tell me how you felt when it came to making your case about how the Darkstrider has little in the manner of flaws," Jaesa said enthusiastically, as she sat down near the podium where Stanley was rendered.