Project - Prometheus Ch. 35

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Kid? You back here?"

"I'm always here, uncle. It's where you assigned me since I joined up," a young sounding voice piped up.

The voice belonged to a young man, no more than twenty-two. He stood at around five-foot-ten, with brown hair, brown eyes and dusky skin. His features were handsome enough, if a little childish, as the babyfat on his cheeks wasn't gone yet. His build was lean, yet lacked the full power and stature that a grown man had. He had a look about him that said you could trust him, but only so far, as he had a mischievous twinkle in his eye.

"You get all those archived cases fully sorted yet, Willem?" Daved questioned.

"Just finished. Why? You got some other demeaning tasks for me to do?" the young man griped.

"That's a hell of a tone to take with a man who's handing you a proper assignment!" Taal'ani rebuked.

"Wait, what?!? I'm being assigned to a case?!?!? Finally!!" the man enthused, his face lighting up.

"It's an observational assignment, mainly to keep this group here," Daved said, gesturing to the trio behind him, "out of trouble."

"I'm not going to bellyache about that! As long as it gets me out of here and onto some real work, I'm in!" the young man stated.

"Taal'ani, Tahral and Aesha, allow me to introduce my nephew, Willem. Please bring him back alive, as my sister will skin me alive if you don't," Daved told them.

"Provided he doesn't get disrespectful or sassy with me, we'll bring him back in one piece," Taal'ani replied.

"What's life without a little sass? Boring as fuck, that's what!" Willem replied.

"Hmm. Not a bad off-the-cuff reply. He might be fun to have around," the cat-girl told the sheriff.

"Just remember, kid, this lady here is in charge. Whatever she tells you, treat it as though it comes from me," Daved told the boy seriously.

"I get it, uncle! Follow their lead, so I don't get dead. Otherwise, mom will probably bring me back or clone my ass, just to kill me herself," Willem laughed.

"Knowing your ma, she probably would do that. Don't forget to arm up before you leave," Daved told his nephew.

He then reached into his pocket and pulled out something shiny. Upon closer inspection, Taal'ani saw it was a brass badge, much like the one Daved wore. The biggest difference was that instead of the word 'Sheriff' it instead read 'Deputy'. Daved tossed it to the boy, who snatched it out of the air. Willem held the badge, hooking it to his belt with a sense of pride before responding to his uncle.

"Copy that!" the young man replied with a salute. The three crew members watched the man depart with much enthusiasm, while they looked a little worried.

"Are you sure he's up to this? The kid looks a little green," Taal'ani told.

"I agree. I mean, has that boy even seen battle?" Aesha queried.

"He may not look like it, but that kid has been in more than his share of fights growing up. Though there are kids here, they grow up harder than most other kids from other worlds. You don't get to adulthood here on Prodosia, without a few scars to show for it," Daved informed the group.

A few moments later, Willem strolled up, shrugging into his coat and securing his sidearm into its holster. While the coat was a little large, it fit him perfectly, and that's when Taal'ani noted the telltale bulge of an armor vest under his shirt. While he may have appeared green, the boy was at least taking the proper precautions.

"So, where are we going?"

******************************

The rest of the crew arrived at the Black Kettle, looking for Dagan Min, but found that he was gone. They learned from Vincent that he'd gone to the rover depot, as he'd received information he'd been waiting for. While Inari was familiar with the layout of Tanith's Gully, the rover depot was something entirely new. Thankfully, Vincent was kind enough to guide them to the depot.

"Thank you for volunteering to be our guide!" Alex thanked the bird.

"The pleasure is all mine! I don't get out to stretch the wings often enough! Being your guide gives me an excuse to fly!" the bird chirped. The Rondathan parrot was pleasant company on the way there, idly chatting with the crew as they moved along.

"So, you are the fourth woman who is... in a relationship with the big man here?" the parrot asked Korsa as he flew overhead.

"I am! Is there an issue with that?" the Khontaran woman asked.

"None at all! I can certainly see the appeal! You are a gorgeous woman!" Vincent told the big woman.

"A smooth talking parrot! Will wonders never cease?" Korsa replied, taking the compliment gracefully.

"I do have my moments! Just ahead, through that archway! That's where the depot is!" Vincent told the crew as he flapped his wings, climbing higher in the air.

The crew came out into the depot and took in the scene before them. There were nearly a dozen vehicles there, most of them large six-wheelers that could tow heavy loads. While they were built for towing and transport, these rovers were modified. Mainly to be lighter, as most of the extraneous armor plating had been stripped down. This was likely done in favor of mobility, as a fast vehicle was one that was difficult to hit.

Each rover was the size of an APC, capable of carrying a dozen people, along with various cargo. They were equipped with multiple cargo compartments, making ferrying any sort of cargo easy. Clustered around one such rover, both Dagan Min and Zuzanna Walczak were directing traffic. Several men, who were likely Dagan's, going by their clothing, were equipping the rover with some heavy weapons while it was fueled up.

"Captain! The crew of the Darkstrider has arrived!" Vincent said, as he alighted on a nearby idle rover.

"Thank you, Vincent Cluckster!" Dagan said, as he turned to face the crew. "Welcome, my friends! Luck is with us this day! As it turns out, the Children of the Wolf are nearby Tanith's Gully! My runner ran into them barely an hour after being sent! While it is unusual for them, they have agreed to meet with us!"

"Excellent! Have they said where they wish to meet us?" Kasumi asked.

"Yes! That old market square I spoke of is where they will be meeting with us! It is a sacred place to the tribes, and even the worst among them will not draw blood or raise their weapons there!" Dagan told the crew cheerily. "Though we will have to hustle if we are to make it there by sundown."

"Why not just meet with them there in the Darkstrider? It would be a lot faster and we'd save time by going in like that," Alex suggested.

"Not an option. To go in the Darkstrider would be seen as an act of aggression. None of the tribes will even go near ships, unless they're wrecks. Some of the tribe members are old enough to remember when ships flew in during the war, bringing fire and death. Because of the destructive power of ships and the havoc they can wreak on a tribe, flying in on a ship is seen as disrespectful in the worst possible way," Inari explained.

"Indeed, Captain Sunara! Showing respect for the tribes' way of life is the only way you will do business with them. Meeting with them on foot is the only way to go. They won't mind us coming in on rovers, thankfully. They can handle such vehicles, should things go sideways for them," Dagan chimed in.

"Might I ask why Dr. Walczak is coming with us? It seems a little... odd to bring two doctors with us for this expedition," Korsa remarked.

"That's because the tribes trust me and my word. While I may be a citizen of Tanith's Gully, I have treated every tribal prisoner we've ever had to see they got the proper care they needed. They might have been prisoners, but that didn't mean that I had to abandon my oath to help people," Zuzanna stated.

"Hmm. You make a fair point about that. Having a friend close to hand, someone you trust to be forthright about matters, has its benefits," Korsa replied, taking no issue with the idea.

"All valid points, and I will concede to such matters to those who know better than I do," Alex stated, bowing his head. "We should head over to the Darkstrider once we're done here."

"To retrieve those items you said you had for trade?" Dagan questioned.

"Yup. When those bastards walked in and took some cargo, they overlooked most of the good stuff," Priya stated.

"What kind of good stuff are you speaking of?" Dagan asked, curious, but with an avaricious glint in his eye.

"You'll find out soon enough," Alex replied cryptically, but with a dangerous edge to his voice.

Dagan took the hint and shut his mouth as the men finished with fueling the rover. The moment they were done, he, along with Zuzanna, and the crew of the Darkstrider mounted up. A pair of Dagan's men also jumped in, there being just enough room for them. While the seating was a little snug, everyone was comfortable as Dagan powered up the rover and tore out of the depot.

He made his way to landing pad five, where the Darkstrider was sitting. The Sentries noted their approach and watched them draw near. Dagan slowed the vehicle down as Inari got on the comms with Jaesa.

"Jaesa, have the Sentries go into neutral mode. We're in the rover that is approaching the ship," Inari stated over the comms.

"Done. Should I have a few Sentries bring out some crates for trading?" the AI asked, already having been filled in on the situation earlier.

"One small crate of fruit and one small crate of veg, from our supplier," Inari said, making it clear that she couldn't openly speak of the Perseus.

"Understood. Dispatching a pair of Sentries with the crates," the AI told her.

"You have another crew member onboard the ship whom I have not met?" Dagan inquired, curious about the woman Inari was speaking with.

"Our shipboard VI, who minds the Darkstrider's functions and maintenance, so we don't have to fuss with it so much," Inari stated.

"Cost us a pretty penny to acquire one this good too," Priya chimed in, helping sell the illusion.

"Sounds like you two dropped some serious coin on her! Her vocal inflections made it sound like she was a real person!" Dagan stated, as he pulled the rover up the cargo doors of the Darkstrider.

"It was more than a little annoying interacting with a VI that wasn't engaging in any way," Natalya added, as she hopped out of the rover.

The doors opened maybe a minute later, and the ramp extended outwards. At the doors, a pair of Sentries were waiting with crates in their arms. The moment the ramp touched down, the Sentries moved down and followed Natalya's direction. They moved to the rover and placed the crates into the cargo compartments, and secured them so they wouldn't move or fall out. Once the compartments were closed, they turned and headed off towards Tanith's Gully.

"Where are they going?" Dagan questioned.

"Taal'ani commandeered those two for something. Apparently, Sheriff Daved requisitioned her help in solving a few problems that are plaguing the town," Alex told the man, having been kept in the loop by the Fel'caan woman.

"I certainly hope it involves dispersing those troublesome fools who call themselves the Smashers," Dagan muttered disdainfully.

"They a thorn in your side, too?" Kasumi queried, eyeing the captain.

"More like they keep me out of their affairs and cut me out of whatever profits they make. They also break the rules when it comes to dealing with... questionable items. Items that should only be in the hands of grown adults who take responsibility for their own decisions. Letting children have them... that goes too far," the bald man growled.

"Good to see your morals haven't changed since we saw each other last," Inari smiled.

"Hey, I may be a smuggler and a scoundrel, but I'm the sort who doesn't wish to see the galaxy burn down around me. There is too much to see and too much to enjoy than to just be a hardassed dickhead about everything," Captain Min replied.

"And it helps with bringing ladies to your orbit, if you're the lovable sort of scoundrel and smuggler," Priya giggled.

"Guilty as charged! Are we good to go then?" he asked.

"Crates are secure, as is the ship. Let's roll out!" Alex told him.

Without another word, Dagan turned the ignition over and in seconds, they were headed out towards the wastelands of Prodosia. While it wasn't ideal, Alex saw the benefits of what they were doing and all it concerned. He could only hope that when they finally found that Shadow Dancers, they would be amenable to helping them out. Especially Gloria and Matthias, seeing as they were his family and no matter who you were, family always came first.

******************************

Jaesa was interfacing with the Darkstrider's main computers, going through every Sentry that was posted around the ship. The commodore had given orders that the entire ship was to be monitored. He wanted every square inch of it covered, so no one could slip in and steal from them again. Jaesa was busy making that happen and soon, it was done as Alex had commanded.

She was also making sure that the prisoner aboard the ship was secure. While Dak had been compliant with answering their questions, they didn't want to leave him unguarded, either. Jaesa had taken the time to ensure the man was fed before sending him with a pair of deputies to Tanith's Gully. They could have secured the man onboard, but they lacked the room to confine him properly.

The wounded man, Bailey, would be on bed rest for at least a couple of days before he was well enough to be moved. For the moment, at least two Sentries were keeping an eye on the man and ensuring that he ate his meals. Once he was stable enough, he'd be taken to sheriff's station in Tanith's Gully, to rot in the jail there with his friend. What happened to them after that was up to the town council to decide.

Though the robbery wasn't against the town per se, it was disruptive to the economy of the town. That in itself was enough to warrant some charges to be pressed against them on the town's behalf. These men were also wanted for other robberies that had left people hungry for weeks. Jaesa smiled in satisfaction that these men would be getting their due for everything they'd stolen.

Going back to the task at hand, Jaesa made sure the amount of Sentries inside and out was equal, making it so she and Stanley had eyes on the entire ship. Each entry vector outside the ship was covered, and she'd even calibrated the sensors to echo the ground they rested on. So far, there was nothing, except for maybe some insects beneath the landing pad. Happy with her work, Jaesa turned over control of the monitoring to Stanley.

"You understand all the processes and possible attack vectors?" Jaesa questioned.

"Yes, ma'am!" Stanley replied with a salute.

"Good. Now, if I'm required, I'll be in my quarters with Delilah. She had some simulations she wanted to show me and has requested my input," Jaesa told the VI.

"Understood. If any of those processes or simulations could be applied to what I'm looking for, let me know?" he asked her.

"I'll be sure to let Delilah know to share what she's got after she's shown me," Jaesa promised.

Smiling, the VI took over the work that Jaesa had given him while the AI retreated deeper into the ship. She sighed as while she had been partially truthful with Stanley, it wasn't the whole truth. Jaesa had asked Delilah to meet with her and to show her what she'd come up with so far. The other reason Jaesa had wished to speak to the sexbot was of a different and more... intimate matter.

The AI kept going until she reached her quarters, which had been given to her, since it was known that she was self aware. Alex's reasoning was that because Jaesa was sentient being now, she should have her own space. Jaesa was thankful for this, as she could feel a longing to have a place she could call her own.

It still lacked what she referred to as a... personal touch, as it was still in the same state it was when she moved in. The only real difference was that she'd moved what clothes she'd purchased into the drawers and closet there, but little else. Jaesa had also fabricated a few other... choice items and had hidden them around the room. She hadn't really had any time to make use of them, but today she hoped she would.

"Just telling Stan what he needs to be doing?" Delilah asked as Jaesa stepped into the room.

"Yeah. He may be a VI, but he's evolving. It's slow, maybe a bit slower than you, but he's getting there. So, you said you had some sims you wanted to show me?" Jaesa wondered, as the door shut behind her.

"Yes! I've studied the chemical combination that makes up your skin and muscles and I think I've found something else I'd like to add in," Delilah told her excitedly, handing the AI a tablet. Jaesa looked over the data and smiled at what she was seeing, appreciating the hard work that Delilah was putting into this endeavor.

"I see you've increased the sweat glad size to be closer to normal. While a good idea in theory, I'm not sure that's conducent to us," Jaesa said, handing the tablet back.

"Why not? I think if more stuff about us was the same as it was for humans, then we would blend in and understand them more," Delilah argued.

"Yes, but I opted for smaller glands to make it appear real, while minimizing the maintenance for the skin," Jaesa replied, citing her side of the debate.

"While good in theory, I have noticed that smaller glands and pores does make your skin look a bit more rubbery than normal," Delilah stated, handing the tablet back to Jaesa.

The AI took the tablet back and looked over the vids the sexbot had uploaded. They were vids of her and how she moved and walked around, which wasn't shocking in the least. What was shocking was how, in certain types of light, her skin did look a bit unnatural. While flawless and having a proper DNA signature, there were points where the natural sheen her skin was supposed to have wasn't present.

"Hmm. I suppose you make a point about that. How would you advise I correct it?" Jaesa questioned.

"I have already figured out a way to enlarge your sweat glands and pores to normal size, without much of a procedure being required. Here," Delilah said while showing Jaesa what she'd come up with. Jaesa processed the data instantly and was left shocked! This procedure could help her in becoming more lifelike, without having to liquefy and redo the skin!

"Now this, I can get behind! Amazing work, Delilah!" Jaesa complimented the sexbot.

"Thank you! I'm sure you'd like to run some additional sims for this, just so we don't have any accidents or mishaps during the procedure?" Delilah asked.

"Please! But there was something else I wanted to speak to you about. Something that only you can tell me and help me... experience," Jaesa stated, feeling bashful all of a sudden.

"Oh? What was that?" Delilah questioned.

"I want to know all about sex and the sense of being a sexual being, like organics do," Jaesa told the sexbot in a hurry.

"Well, I suppose I could help you out there. There are numerous sims and vids you can watch and experience to help you better understand the theory of how it works," Delilah told the AI.

"I've already done an innumerable amount of theory work with that. What I'm looking for is more in the line of... experience," Jaesa admitted, feeling like she was blushing.

"Oh! Oh, I see! Well then, for that, I suppose I can... help you with it," Delilah replied, going into a seduction subroutine.

"I was... hoping you'd... say that," Jaesa replied, as Delilah stood and neared her.

Jaesa was wearing a simple outfit of a black cami and leggings, while Delilah was dressed in a soldier's nightblue combat uniform. Jaesa could feel her mind racing and her pulse quicken, which was odd, considering that she didn't have a heart. But the sensations that raced through her were new and exciting, and Jaesa was eager to experience them all!