Projecting the Wild Man

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
subtlekiss
subtlekiss
188 Followers

"Where is Mr Wild by the way? Does he not come to office?" I asked Nelly.

"He comes and goes as he pleases. Often he is networking with people from companies and business people for fundraising." She had said.

Mr Grumption did come in late that evening when it was nearly five; and time for us to check out.

He rushed in; barged into my room without knocking and demanded, "Where is my speech for tonight?" He growled like a lion at me.

I immediately passed him a fresh copy which I had printed out alongside with his by now tattered papers.

"Good, you have re-typed everything for me?" He asked.

"I have." I said.

He grabbed the papers and asked me, "Will you come tonight to the community centre?"

He looked at me with an eager look on his face.

"Do you need me there?" I asked.

"I might need you to do a few things for me." He said.

I agreed to come. It would be interesting to see how the speech went. I arrived at the function with little recollection of what I wore, what I said to strangers or who was whom in the political world. Quite a few people wanted my contact details simply because I worked at his office and I gave the office number absent-mindedly. I was thinking about Mr Grumption and passing my few words of advice to him. After all, I had made a pledge to train this man into the ideal gentleman. I was not backing out. I would see it through. Mr Grumption had reserved a place for me as his assistant. It was nice that before the speech we bumped into each other finally. The crowd had made it impossible to say hello earlier.

"The prime minister's son said you stood out in this dress. Is this your first time to a political function?" He asked me.

"It's my first time. I don't understand. Is anything wrong with my dress?" I asked.

A smile curled up his moistened lips. He shook his head.

"On the contrary. Nothing is wrong with your dress." He said.

Strange. Till today I do not remember which dress was it that I wore. Neither could he tell me, try as he might, anything about the dress itself.

"I'm going to give the speech in five minutes." He told me in between sips of his champagne.

"Wait, Mr Wild. I have to tell you something." I said.

He looked at me and placed the fine crystal on the table.

"You look handsome when you smile." I said.

"What?" He choked on his champagne.

I felt like I was pulled towards the maelstrom in his fiery green eyes. But I had to continue talking.

"Yes, you do own that smile. You can be very charismatic if you want to." I continued, eying him, and in particular his smile.

Oh, was he not handsome? I had butterflies in my stomach looking at him.

"Ana..." He said softly, gazing at me, from the top of my head to the bottom of my dress.

Now, was there really something wrong with this old dress of mine? I just grabbed something from the cupboard. Maybe it was too old and no longer the classic black dress that I thought it to be.

"If you want to get more votes, you should not be grumpy. You look ugly when you yell." I said as a matter of fact, trying to get his attention again.

I did what I wrote in the notebook. I was going to follow it faithfully.

He studied me still. I felt uncomfortable. I felt that the room was getting smaller.

"Had I not known you better, I would have thought you were out there to seduce me. Until you shot it down the next second by calling me ugly." He said in a serious tone.

I was incredulous.

"I don't seduce people! I didn't mean it to go that way. I was just saying that you should smile more especially with the public. People warm up to smiles." I said.

"I kind of figured that out for myself. You lack that skill." He said.

His eyes shot into mine, making me look away from their prying scavengers and towards his empty glass of champagne. These were times when I was afraid of him yet these were also times in which I just spoke my mind like a bullet train. I acted according to how he treated me.

"I will try to improve my communication skills, Mr Wild." I replied, wondering what all the fuss was about.

I certainly did not need as much communication skills as he did. After all, I was only communicating with him, and I was allowed to speak my mind, or so I thought.

Maybe I was too direct with him. Certainly he had not found me the seductive vixen. No one ever did. I was quite a frumpy aunt to begin with; everything I had said was for the benefit of someone else, and no innuendo needed deciphering. I was as plain in speech as I was as plain in person.

"Let me be straightforward to you too, Miss Pollock. If you were not so crippled by your choice of words, I believe you would have found yourself many admirers in this room. You do know how to make small talk, don't you?" He asked me, tilting up my chin so that our eyes met.

There was a bright, instantaneous flash of a camera in our direction. We both turned but could not find the source.

"Drat, photographers...now they will say I'm having a rendezvous with my personal assistant." He growled and took a huge gulp, finishing his champagne.

"They will not, Mr Wild, given your preference for women." I said.

"What do you mean?" He asked in a rough voice.

I was silent. I had been doing some background research about him on the internet and I found that he had a long history of leggy blonds with fair skin and blue eyes. The perfect, classic Barbie doll was never in competition with someone like me. I had the dark straight hair, was petite and hardly attractive at all. Nothing in my features stood out. Even my skin was just pale and sallow. Oh, perhaps that was why people like me were chosen to be personal assistants because we make good wallpaper.

"What is it about my preference for women? So now you're digging into my personal life?" He raised his voice.

I shook my head.

"The papers will know it is just a friendly gesture. We live in the twenty-first century. You are attracted to beautiful women, and the papers also know that. I am not beautiful, you do know that. Don't worry, there will be no news on that." I said.

I did not feel nor wish that I was more attractive. I understood and acknowledged that this was the way I looked. I was way past the teenage years of primping to look beautiful.

"You are beautiful, Ana. If you'll just have more confidence in yourself, you'll see that." He said.

My heart did a somersault right up to the apples of my cheeks.

"You're very flattering, Mr Wild. Had I not known you better too, I would have thought you were up there to seduce me too." I said, smiling.

I regained my footing quickly. I did not like to feel sudden expressions of emotion which keep me off guard. They left me feeling insecure and vulnerable in a world of bad men and hypocrisy.

He looked at me, squeezed my palms tightly and asked, "Do you think it possible for you to be seduced by me?"

I bit my lips in my nervousness. I did not know how I felt; there was this feeling in me bubbling inconsistently. First he called me beautiful , then he asked me if it was possible to be seduced by him.

When I did not reply, he let go of my palms, looked at me swiftly and said, "Dear Ana, I should have thought so. You're not a woman to be seduced by me, huh? Immune to my charms. Not like the others."

"Because I'm not blond and brainless like the others." I retorted back sharply, feeling a little hurt.

Yet I did not know what I was feeling hurt about. Maybe it was him saying that I was not seduced. I did not want to be seduced. Never ever. I needed control in my life. But perhaps it would have been nice for someone to whisper sweet nothings into your ear.

"I'm plain, blunt and grounded. Not your type. And I am working for you, Sir." I said, stressing on the last syllable.

He laughed then, a little uncomfortably.

"Oh, you take things so seriously. I was just joking with you." He said, and then he left me abruptly to give his speech.

I did not feel calm, and I dreaded this loss of knowing my feelings. I started then to flirt with the men in the ball room, drinking more than I was used to.

That night when everybody was seated and the lights brightly lit the hall, he gave that speech. He excelled in it. His aspirations for the community and state were larger than life. He spoke with conviction, with determination and I felt a tinge of sincerity in his voice. I did not expect politicians to be a hundred percent sincere. He sure knew how to fake it and he did it well. It was as if he were sincere.

He ended his speech with a sentence which everyone was talking about for weeks to come and this would become his slogan for Governor six months later.

"Dreams come true not only when we see it in reality, but when we can afford to live reality in our dreams." He had said.

The crowd clapped, rose and gave him a standing ovation like he was a first violinist in the orchestra.

I could not help a stubborn tear which got away and trickled down my face. I felt so proud of him. Of myself. For I wrote that very speech. I thought of that slogan. He read every single word of it. It was my speech, my dreams and my aspirations as well. It was all combined with his but with a softer touch. A touch supported by evidence and pragmatism. I felt over the moon.

As the crowd hovered over him right after the speech, I knew he had not the time for me. I did not think that he would need me. He appeared happy and was talking ninety to a dozen. I left for home early and unnoticed. I saw that it was midnight. I should be getting some sleep. Tomorrow was a new day.

That night I wrote in my notebook. I just felt like reflecting on the events of the day.

"The Training of Mr Grumption into the Ideal Gentleman"

By Ana Pollock (proud to have contributed for a greater cause)

Day 2 - Mr Grumption gave a speech today which was well received. People liked him. They will vote for him.

Problem - He only came to office in the evening and rushed off again for the function.

Solution - According to Nelly, he was networking. Perhaps I could formulate a networking plan for him instead of him frantically running here and there. Something that would be systematic taking into account the district boundaries of his current constituency.

Before going to bed, I always say a prayer for myself and for Ben too out of habit. I did not feel like taking him out of my prayers just because we were divorced. Prayers are sincere and divorce is only an intervening circumstance without real causation to God. Clasping my palms together, I wondered how Ben was doing. I hoped that he was doing more than fine. I added another prayer tonight. I prayed to God that Mr Grumption would become Governor. Then I went to bed.

The third day at work started off well. I was as energetic as I was when I was eighteen which really was a good thing. Fifteen years later, I had slowed down. I had never felt that degree of high energy like I was feeling today. It must have been the job. It was making me high. It was taking its sweet toll on me. It is making me happy. I am not bored for once.

As I had expected, the photograph of us together was not published in the papers or any online news portal. I felt a smile at my lips. I was right. There was nothing compatible about us beyond work. I just had to be compatible enough to suit his working strategy.

Yet at office I was out for a bombardment from Mr Grumption. He had summoned me to his room. Apparently he was early today.

"Good morning Mr Wild. Jenny said you wanted to see me." I said.

I had a schedule in my hands all ready for his networking strategy.

He stood up and looked at me with an expression I found disconcerting.

"You left early last night. You didn't wait up for me." He said.

He looked a little upset. His mouth opened to say more but no words came.

I nodded. I waited for him to say more. When he did not, I felt compelled to speak.

"I thought everything was going on so well for you last night. Your speech was great. People liked you. They all wanted to talk to you. I didn't know that you needed me there last night. I would probably be a lamp post there. After all, you said I lack the skill." I said.

For a man who was prone to repeating and exaggerating, he appeared to be at a loss for words.

"Next time, stay, will you? I did not ask you to leave." He asked.

"I promise to stay the next time." I said.

"The papers did not publish the photo." I continued.

He nodded.

"But somehow I do not feel good about it. It's like someone is spying on us. I'd rather that they publish the photo and get over with it." He said.

"Even if they were to use it later, what value is it? It was just a friendly gesture, and nothing more." I said.

"But I'm not in the habit of touching my employees, even for a friendly pat on the back." He said.

"It's a first for me." He continued.

I heaved in a big gulp of air.

"Why did you touch me, then?" I asked.

He looked down and did not answer.

I did not wait for an answer. Suddenly I did not feel it wise to listen to his explanation.

"It's easy to solve this issue. Next time, do not touch me again, at least in public. You must learn how to control yourself. It means nothing and I know that, but people might interpret it differently. If you're a nobody, then it's a non-issue." I said.

"Yes, you're right." He said.

I was getting into an overdrive. I needed to switch my attention to something which did not concern me directly.

"What did you want me to do last night? I can do it now if it's not too late." I said.

I wanted to make amends to him. I probably should have stayed on till the function ended.

"Nothing. It's not important." He said, looking down at my hands.

He did not face me anymore.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"No, don't be. That speech you wrote for me. It was good. Better than I had envisioned. I had just asked you to compile the whole thing and yet you disobeyed me. Yet you did your magic." He said.

"It was based on your ideas. You had great ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing them implemented when you're Governor." I gave him a warm smile.

I was sure he was going to do better than the other sole candidate.

"This is only your third day of work. You have done well." He said.

"Thank you, Mr Wild." I replied.

I showed him the networking strategy I had in mind for him. To meet one profession a day at a time and doing activities related to that profession.

"Which organization did you meet yesterday?" I asked.

It would be useful to compile a list of organizations and people that he had already got acquainted with.

"Some migrant workers centre." He said.

"Which one?" I asked.

"Look, let me study your list, and I'll cross out the organizations that I have already been in touch with." That is easier." He said, reaching out for the schedule in my hands.

I handed the papers over to him.

"Today's plan is an informal lunch meeting with city councillors. Would you like that?" I asked.

"No. I have made other plans. Like I told you, I'll study your list first." He said.

I nodded. That morning I was doing heavier correspondence work and researching on local government policies. Come lunchtime and I was having a chicken burger with Jenny and Nelly at Macdonalds on the other end of the lagoon, directly opposite from our office. It was a half an hour walk from one end of the small lagoon to the other. I had bonded well with them.

I smiled then. Mr Wild had touched me because I infuriated him. Had it not been so since the first day at work when he almost wanted to yank me off the chair? He had been angry with me for scratching the door, then sitting on his files...And then to pat my head but stopped short? These thoughts made my day. Making him angry is better than making him feel like I was one of the many women he dated.

In the midst of lunch, I received a phone call from Mr Grumption. He wanted me to come to the Essex Hotel immediately. Bring the schedule that I had prepared for him, he said, and call the councillors for a meeting in an hour at the conference room there.

"But you said you didn't want the meeting. Isn't it a little too late for that? You've got to give notice, you know." I said.

"You work for me. This is part of the job." He growled into the receiving end.

"No, not me. The other councillors. You can't just subject them to your whims and fancies. They won't like that and they might have other things to do." I said.

Jenny and Nelly exchanged glances. They stopped eating their burgers.

"This afternoon you told me I had a lunch meeting with them." He yelled.

"This was because I called them yesterday to check if they were available. I just informed them that there might be a possibility of a meeting but the final decision rests with you. And you said no." I retorted.

"So now you do things behind my back! You think you're so smart. I am the boss, you know. You can't just simply do as you please." He yelled again.

"I did not. I checked with you this morning and you said you had other plans. I might make tentative plans for you, but this is because I'm trying to be efficient." I said.

There was now a strain in my voice. Mr Grumption was back to being just grumpy.

"If you're that efficient, you'll get to the god-damn hotel right now." He said forcefully.

I could hear his heavy breath and almost feel the anger vibrate through my mobile. I told Jenny and Nelly that Mr Grumption needed me at the Essex Hotel for a councillor meeting. They exchanged glances again.

"He trusts you. That is why he called you." The more talkative Jenny said.

"Yeah, right." I said sarcastically.

I immediately regretted saying that.

I rushed back to office in a water ferry. Yes, that is the most efficient and fastest way to travel from one end of the lagoon to the other. It only took ten minutes by ferry. While commuting, I had time to rethink the situation. He was angry with me for two reasons. The first being that I told him it would be impossible to arrange a meeting and the second being that I had arranged that meeting beforehand. Yet now he wanted that meeting badly. Was it not an oxymoron to be mad at me? He should have thanked me for the schedule in the first place.

After a few quick phone calls, I took copies of his schedule and an agenda for the meeting which I had prepared based on the speech he had given yesterday. Then again, he had not gone through this agenda. I braced for him to be mad again.

The hotel reception told me that he was in a suite in the hotel. It was grand enough that I was ushered to the front door by a bell boy even when I could clearly find my own way to his suite. I rang the doorbell.

He opened it. He was clad only in a bathrobe. His hair was dishevelled. He looked out of sorts. There was a woman in the room. She was fully dressed in a clingy black dress which accentuated her slim figure. She planted him a kiss on his lips before whispering something into his ear. Sweet nothings maybe. She reached for her coat; turned to me, smiled thinly and then pointed to me while looking at Mr Grumption.

"So this is her - the efficient assistant?" She asked.

He did not glance at me but said "yes."

"Hi, I'm Lisa. Boston said that you would help us solve this problem." She said, looking at me with full attention for the first time.

I did not know how to answer, so I just said "yes" to whatever the problem was.

The door clicked shut and both of us were alone in the room. I could not bring myself to look at him as he looked so different. For a whole minute, we were silent.

"Did you arrange for the meeting and do you have the schedule with you?" He asked.

I nodded.

subtlekiss
subtlekiss
188 Followers