Prophet Seeking Pt. 06

Story Info
An alluring proposal from a masked stranger.
10.5k words
4.83
474
1
0

Part 6 of the 7 part series

Updated 03/15/2024
Created 08/28/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's note- This is an anthology series set in the same dreamy Greek inn. Each part is a modern take on an ancient Greek myth yet the characters and plot differ so they can be read separately or in any order the reader chooses. Enjoy!

~Let Sleeping Gods Lie~

My heart skipped a beat. The sound of approaching footsteps in the hall gave me just enough time to shove my hands behind my back before the door flew open.

.

"The old woman at the desk recommended the love temple. Though you wouldn't believe what she was wearing. I'd never seen a geriatric in a poodle skirt before." My boyfriend stood in the doorway with a smile on his face and a brochure in his hand. After giving me a once over the smile disappeared from his lips. "What do you have there?"

"Nothing." I answered between nervous nibbles of my bottom lip.

"Stephie, let me see." Eric took a few steps forward prompting me to move backward. After a few shuffling steps my back was pressed against the wall. He quickly seized my wrist to find the cellphone nestled in my palm. His phone. Busted.

"Snooping again." He sighed.

"It's only... my sister said-"

"Your sister? Not again with this!" He pinched the bridge of his nose.

"She says I shouldn't trust you."

"Of course she did. Wake up babe, she's jealous. Not to mention she thinks all men are monsters." He raked his fingers through his gorgeous blond hair. The fact that he looked even better when upset was very unfair of him.

"You can hardly blame her after her fiancé jilted her a week before the wedding." Ouch. And for her best friend no less. Double ouch.

"That doesn't make her paranoid suspicions correct. And that doesn't mean you have to believe her." He glowered down on me.

"Who's Carmen?" I asked. That suspiciously vampy sounding name had come up a couple times in my brief search of his text history.

"She's an employee."

"You have a lot of texts from her."

"She's new, she was asking me for advice. Christ sake Stephie, have I ever given you reason not to trust me?"

I pondered the question with my brow tightly furrowed. Apart from being indecently sexy, sophisticated and entirely out of my league, he had never been anything but honest with me. "No, not exactly."

"Yet you are always spying on me."

"You shouldn't mind if you have nothing to hide." I countered, using my sister's own words. It was one of her favorites along with 'he seems too good to be true' and 'all men are lying cheating no good dick-weasels'.

"I shouldn't mind that my girlfriend doesn't trust me. Do you even hear yourself?" He threw his arms up.

"Where are you going?" I directed the question to his back as he strode towards the door of our suite.

"Who knows, to fuck half of the population of Greece for all you know." He answered acidly. "I need some space. I'll be back when you've decided which is more important to you- us or your petty suspicions."

I stood stone faced, staring at the slammed door for a moment before bursting into tears. So much for a relaxing vacation, I thought bitterly. When the local cabbie had told us about the Horned Gate Inn it sounded perfect. The idea of a picturesque bed and breakfast situated in the Greek countryside was irresistibly romantic. But it seemed even in the wilderness our problems could still find us.

The argument was not a new one, we'd played it out a hundred times in all its tedious variations, always coming back to the same maddening deadlock. (Though the epic make-up sex that inevitably followed was a pretty awesome consolation prize.)

I so wanted to point the finger at Eric for our issues or at least give him half the blame but the grown-up in me had to admit that I was pretty much 100% responsible for the rift between us. Man, accountability sucks.

Travel weary, I fell into the giant bed too depressed to appreciate its beautiful carvings of ancient mythic scenes. How could I not be suspicious of Eric's motives? He was bordering on perfection and I wasn't even in the tri-county area. Try as I might, I couldn't figure out what he saw in me. His roots ran deep in the rich soil of New York high society. A far cry from my own rural Oklahoma upbringing. Let's face it, I was punching way above my weight class.

When we met in our sophomore year of college I couldn't believe my luck to find such a catch. But the longer we went on the more I began to question if someone like me could ever be worthy of him. His rich, glamorous, class-conscious mother agreed. A scornful once over on our first meeting made clear that she was thinking the same thing I was. What's Little Miss Nobody from Flyover Country, USA doing with her highly eligible son? I had none of the grace or refinement of the socialites he was expected to be dating. Sure, I have a pretty face. Big whoop. Sometimes I wondered if that was all he saw in me.

Or maybe he wasn't as perfect as he seemed. The dark thoughts buzzed around my head like flies on dung while I tossed and turned in the large, lonely bed. As I finally slipped off into sleep the buzzing in my ears sounded more and more like rushing wind.

Ω

"Psyche." My mother called from the kitchen of our cramped cottage. "There is a package here for you."

I shot up from bed, shook the rushing sound from my ears and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. The radiant tendrils of first light were just beginning to peak over the horizon, teasing at the promise of a bright new day. A package was here. Probably another suitor. With that thought the exhilaration of the morning faded as quickly as it had appeared.

"For Psyche again?" The annoyed voice of my sister drifted from the cot a few feet over. "They're always for her."

"You're free to have them as far as I'm concerned. And the suitors who send them." I grumbled. The prospect of another fat old man trying by buy my hand for trinkets and promises didn't hold much appeal.

It all started when word got out that a poor, young country girl had a face to rival the beauty of Aphrodite. I'll admit at first, I had enjoyed the attention. What young women wouldn't? Yet the never-ending stream of obsequious admirers and their useless tokens of affection were no longer flattering or exciting, especially when I realized that they only made the journey out of curiosity. I was no different than a side-show attraction to them. The offers would surely dry up once they figured out that apart from my looks there wasn't anything particularly interesting about me.

At least I was fortunate enough to have had an uncommonly doting father who, before passing had promised that I would be allowed you to choose my own husband. Ensuring that my overly enthusiastic mother didn't foist me off on the first suitable candidate. Personally, I wanted more than just a list of marriageable criteria. I longed for true love, rooted not in money or looks but springing from a soul-deep connection. I know what you're thinking, what a sap right? Point taken.

Hastily pinning my thick chestnut hair back, I donned my best chiton, one that only had a few tattered rips at the hem. I checked my reflection in our small cracked mirror and sighed. Cupid's bow mouth, rosy cheeks, bright sapphire eyes. Sure, I had it going on but I had to wonder if the pretty face looking back at me was really worth all the trouble.

"Psyche. You really should see this." Came another shout from my mother. I rushed into the kitchen, my bare feet skidding to a halt when I saw the package. Dominating the small room was a large tiffany blue box with a big white bow. I lifted the lid and a flurry of doves flew out followed by a stream of balloons and an explosion of glitter. Talk about a showstopper. Whoever the sender was he certainly had my attention.

Once the final bird had vacated the box I shook off some of the glitter and peeked within. Inside was a scroll and a long thin scrap of red silk. I went straight for the scroll, unrolling it dramatically. What, no trumpets?

"What does it say?" My mother asked as she peered eagerly over my shoulder.

I cleared my throat and read the letter aloud. "Dear Psyche, I offer a proposition to come stay in my castle for a year. Be assured, you will have all you could possibly wish for and your family will be well taken care of. After the year is up the choice will be yours to marry or go our separate ways. Whatever you desire."

My mother clasped her hands together in triumph. "I knew it! And why should he not want to marry you and treat you like a goddess. You're twice as pretty as Aphrodite and so much younger."

"Please, Mother hush." I held a hand up to stop her blasphemous talk and carried on reading. "If my offer is agreeable to you wait in the field with the enclosed blindfold across your eyes. Your ride will arrive at sundown. I look forward to our getting better acquainted." At the bottom it was signed Erastis in an elegant scrawling hand.

"Yes." I said first too quietly to be heard above my pounding heart. "I'll do it." I croaked a bit louder this time.

It was the smart thing to do. That kind of money would end the family's financial troubles forever. Since father's death our already limited circumstances had reduced even further. Yet beyond that, for completely selfish reasons, I wanted to say yes. Destiny was handing me my big break and I didn't intend to waste it.

Just then there was a loud knock on the door. I leapt up to open it. Strangely no one was there but, on the doormat, sat a large black bag brimming with golden coins. My mother and I looked at one another dumbfounded for a few moments before simultaneously breaking into laughter, hugging and cheering our sudden turn of fortune.

The rest of the day went by in a blur. It took no time at all to pack up my meager possessions and then there was nothing left to do but bid a teary goodbye to my family.

Once the sun had dipped low in the sky I wrapped my old cloak around me a little tighter and, casting one more backward glance, I walked out of the only home I ever knew to the nearby field. As instructed, I placed the strip of cloth over my eyes. And then I waited. As the minutes ticked by doubts crept into my head. Maybe it was all a trick to lure me alone into the wilderness to be ambushed. Or just to stand me up and make me look like a total idiot.

Just when I was about to give up and head back the breeze picked up. The rustling grass tickled my legs, pulling at my hair and dress until I found myself being pushed forward. The wind grew stronger, murmuring an eerie song. The tingle along my spine told me that it was no ordinary wind. Its strength grew until I found myself propelled forward though my feet barely moved. The murmuring sound became louder so that it drowned out everything else, even my pounding heart.

In the darkness of the blindfold I couldn't see. I could only feel the moment my toes left the ground. I could feel my body being picked up by the whirlwind and hurled through the air. The frightening force whisked me away at alarming speed. I couldn't tell you exactly how long the heart-stopping journey lasted, maybe hours or mere minutes. I was in such a state of alternating fear and exhilaration I can't be sure. Finally the terrifying tilt-a-whirl whistled to an stop and a gentle current of air placed me carefully back onto solid ground.

Grateful to be back on terra firma, I fought the urge to kiss the gravel.

"Enter." A refined male voice announced.

Obeying, I took a few unsteady steps on my shaky legs, arms searching, sensing that I was entering a building. Suddenly the sound of a heavy door shutting came from behind me.

"You may take off your blindfold now."

I did as directed and was immediately dumbstruck by the most magnificent sight. I was in the entryway of a huge palace of veined marble. The ceiling reached so high above me that the elaborate frescoes painted on them could barely be deciphered. Enormous ionic columns flanked the seemingly endless corridors. There were no windows to be seen but somehow a fabulous breeze filled the cavernous space, deliciously clean and fresh. Opulence dripped from every surface. It's safe to say the owner was clearly wealthy. I mean polo playing, black card carrying, caviar scarfing wealthy.

"I hope you like what you see." The voice said from behind me and only then did I remember just why I had come.

I spun around on my heels eager to see the man who had summoned me. Except with an ivory mask covering most of his face I couldn't see much of him. Though, to be fair, what I could see was lovely. Bright emerald eyes peer out from the slits of the mask. From the bottom peeked plush lips that seemed to pout even though he was smiling. A hint of golden blond curls tumbled down the nape of his neck. My heart picked up its pace like I was still hurdling through the air. Even with the mask and heavy cloak it was clear that Erastis was not the fat old suitor I had been expecting.

"Very much." I declared.

Behind the mask his deep green eyes sparkled with pride. "I would offer you the grand tour but that would take hours and you're probably tired from your journey. Your bedroom has been prepared."

My bedroom. I was relieved and grateful to hear we had separate accommodations. It was all too much to have to leave everything I knew and share a bed with a complete stranger on the same day.

"I could take you there now to rest or we could dine first. I'm sure you're famished."

"I could eat." Was all I managed.

He offered his hand to lead me and I reached up to take it. When our fingers met pleasure shot through me. It was as if jumper cables had been run between us. He felt it too. I could tell by the way his expression transformed from mild flirtation to wide-eyed amazement. Yet he shook the look off in an instant and led me casually down the long marble passage as if nothing had happened.

His footstep echoed loudly on the jeweled mosaic floor. Eventually we reached a set of elegant wooden doors. He pulled them open, leading me into a lavishly furnished washroom with vases of fresh cut roses on every surface.

"I have taken the liberty of selecting some fresh clothes so that you may change for dinner if you wish. When you are ready meet me in the dining room."

"How will I find my way?" I asked recalling the maze of hallways we had just traversed.

"Don't worry, you'll find it. It's hard to miss." Was his enigmatic response.

I heard the door thud shut and stood motionless as his footsteps receded. Once I couldn't hear them anymore I sprang into motion, eager to explore.

I flung open the large and ornately decorated armoire, finding it filled to bursting with gorgeous clothing, all for me. Although each garment differed in style they seemed to fit into a theme; the sky. There were frothy white dresses that looked like clouds, sleek velvet gowns as inky black as a moonless night. A bodysuit covered in cascading silvery-blue sequins that reminded me of the rain. They all appeared to be exactly my size which was only slightly unnerving.

My eyes settled on a gorgeous gown made of silk so fine it flowed through my fingers like water. The airy fabric faded from purple blue to soft orange like a dazzling sunset. It looked like something out of a dream. Perfect. I slipped into the dreamy dress, finishing the ensemble with a sapphire necklace and some strappy heels and then I was out the door. Erastis was waiting for me, after all. The thought made the butterflies in my stomach do loop de loops.

It wasn't until I got into the hallway that I remembered I had no idea which way to go. The sound of a whistling breeze to my right caught my attention. I trailed in the direction of the sound until I reached an enormous archway. Through it was a massive, gilded dining hall. He wasn't kidding it's hard to miss.

Equally hard to miss was Erastis lounging in a big chair, leaning back casually so the chair tipped on its back legs. When he saw me he straighten up and rose. The lengthy dining table stretched in front of us laden with a feast large enough to feed a whole festival. The dazzling array of delicious looking dishes made me wonder when the singing candelabra would show up.

I'll admit it was hard not to be intimidated by all that luxury. The confusing assortment of silverware alone was enough to make my plebian little head spin. Somehow I would have to convince Erastis that I could act like a lady and not a backwoods bumpkin who didn't know her ass from an ascot. That's like a fancy car right? Ugh, I'm so in over my head.

"You look lovely." Erastis announced as he pulled out my chair.

"I could say the same about you." Dressed in fitted grey tweed he looked like pure sex in a bespoke suit. "From what I can see anyway." He smiled behind the mask that concealed most of his face.

"Do you intend to wear that mask the whole time?"

"Why? Is my appearance so important to you?"

"Not especially. Though a mask does suggest a lack of transparency on your part." I answered honestly.

"Forgive me. I'm sure this is all a bit strange for you. In the name of transparency shall we get the nitty-gritty out of the way first?

"Yes please." I said, thankful for his consideration.

Erastis started by laying out the ground rules. He explained that he would be gone during the day and would return every night. "I want you to think of this as your home now. You can find nearly anything you desire here- saunas, wine cellars, libraries. I only ask that you stay out of the west wing, it's very old and in need of repairs. I wouldn't want you to get hurt."

I murmured my agreement between bites of rich and creamy pasta. The food was amazing, not that I knew much about haute cuisine. But anyone with a tongue couldn't help but appreciate this meal. It was all I could do not to wolf it down in big unladylike gulps.

"You must not feel obligated to share my bed."

At that I nearly choked on a bit of broccoli. I cleared my throat and mustered my courage. "What if I want to? H-hy-hypothetically, I mean."

"I'd have to be an utter imbecile to say no to such a beautiful woman." He whispered suggestively while peering at me from over the top of his wine glass. A violent shiver of lust shot through me and I sank my teeth into my bottom lip to control it. "Don't tell her I said this but you really are more beautiful than Aphrodite herself."

"So you've heard the rumor." I sagged a little in my chair. Part of me had hoped that his motives weren't as ordinary as the other suitors. To them I had been a curiosity at best and a conquest at worse.

"Yes I've heard, but that's not why I invited you."

"Then why? That is, why me? I'm sure you could have anyone you wanted. What woman in her right mind wouldn't want a man with his own Bellagio sized chocolate fountain?"

"There is more to life than money and breeding. I'd like to find someone who wouldn't only be interested in my face, family and fortune. Someone who could fall for the real me."

"And you think that someone could be me?" I asked in amazement.

He shrugged. "Could be. I haven't known you for long yet you seem kind and you have a down to earth quality that the gods are sorely lacking."

"Down to earth, that's a nice way to put it," I laughed. "My mother would just call it being common."

"Yes well it can be difficult to live up to our mother's expectations." His jaw tensed as if he was trying hard to hold something back.

"My mother's only expectation is that I marry rich." I winced at my own bluntness. Maybe I should slow down on the vino. "So what's the catch?"

"I beg your pardon." He cleared his throat nervously.

"This place, this food... you, it's all so incredible. There must be a catch."

"Well, I suppose that is where the mask comes in." His normally breezy voice became uncharacteristically serious. "I won't be taking it off. You must not see my face. Promise me you will never try or the consequences could be dire."