PUNKS Ch. 08: Rumors and Innuendo

Story Info
Tina and Joe reconnect with new rules.
7.2k words
1k
00

Part 8 of the 37 part series

Updated 07/08/2023
Created 03/25/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

August 1993

Joe wished he was back in Venice Beach as a near tropical storm wind and rain whipped down 54th Street blowing him backward one step for every three taken. He was in town for business, working with Laura on booking the band's first Asian tour. The plan was for a short thirty-day tour followed by a lengthy hiatus. The band was a little burned out after touring Europe, North America, and their first-ever shows in South America.

A week before his flight from LAX to JFK, Chico showed up at Joe's studio. He made small talk but Joe sensed there was something else on his best friend's mind. Chico gets shifty when he's troubled.

"What's up Chi," he said. "Out with it."

"I don't know how to say it."

"Then just say it."

"I think I'm done touring," Chico said low. "Rosie's pregnant and we...."

Joe interrupted. "You should have led with that." He stood up from his desk and walked over to Chico. He hugged him. "Congratulations, man. Give Rosie a kiss for me."

Joe stepped back. "I'm not sure you've been home enough this year to get her pregnant. Have you heard of the Human Genome Project they started a couple of years back? Someday they'll be able to test to see if this baby is yours."

"Fuck you, man," Chico flipped him off. "Did you hear what I said about touring?"

"You need a break. I think we all do. You're good doing Asia, right?"

"That's the last tour, bro. I'm done, not just a break. I'm done touring."

Joe didn't react. He sat down behind his desk and gestured to the seat across from him. Chico sat down. They stared at each other for a moment.

"I get it, Chi," Joe said. "I envy you, brother. If I had what you have, I'd stay home too. You're a lucky man."

Relief appeared on Chico's round face. "I was afraid you'd be pissed and start a debate I'd have to shut down."

"No, I'm not even disappointed. You're doing the right thing, and besides, Rosie will be sick of you in a year and book us a tour herself."

Chico laughed, "You're probably right. Or she'll want a bigger house after this kid pops out and we'll need the money."

"That too." Joe smiled. "Be smart with your money and you'll be good for a long time."

"Bro, I still drive my '81 Chevy pickup from before we met."

"I love that about you. Regular guys like us don't do flashy. A construction truck is good enough."

"I don't know, I think your ride is conspicuous."

"Only because she's a classic convertible and a big old boat."

"Look, man. I gotta go. I have a honey-do list." Chico stood. "Rosie wants you to come over for dinner before you fly back east."

"Will do."

By the time Joe had boarded his flight to New York, PJ had also informed him he and Janice were trying for their first child. There was no band resistance to Chico's decision.

On this blustery evening in New York, Joe was heading to Tommy Guns to see a new band Marty had recently signed. The Big Johnsons had become a favorite at Tommys and other Guerrilla clubs in the boroughs. The way Joe saw it, if they passed muster in Hell's Kitchen, they were definitely a band worth checking out. He arrived during the band's set break, met them, and caught their second set. The punk regulars liked the band, about as tough a crowd as there is to win over. After midnight, he saw a familiar face coming through the crowd.

"Hey, baby brother!" Joe shouted at Jack Costello. "Get over here!"

Jack waved, and walked Joe's way, picking a path through the crowded club. Behind Jack, holding his hand, was April. She smiled when she saw Joe sitting at the bar.

"How the hell are ya?" Joe hugged Jack "It's great to see you. What are you guys doing here?"

"Same as everyone else," said Jack. "Checking out this band. They're great."

Joe looked to the crowd behind them hoping they had a third wheel with them.

April leaned into Joe. "She's not with us," then hugged him. "We've been coming here regularly for a while now."

"I don't know about regular," said Jack. "Maybe a dozen times."

"That's regular." April corrected him.

Joe put his hands up. "No need to bicker. You're irregulars." He gestured to the punks at the bar. "These lifers are the regulars. They're here almost every day."

Jack snickered. "Irregulars. That works."

April hugged Joe again. "I'm so happy to see you. How have you been?"

"I'm good," said Joe. "In town for business."

"We were just at Tina's," April said. "She doesn't know you're in town?"

"Nope. She does not."

Jack leaned in. "What the hell happened to you? Tina won't discuss it."

Joe shrugged. "If she doesn't know, neither do I." He downed the last of his beer. "Hey, what are you guys doing? How about we grab a bite?"

"That sounds great." April smiled. "We'd like that."

Joe threw cash on the bar, said his goodbyes, and met Jack and April on the sidewalk. The rain had stopped, but the wind whipped the soggy city. After a long walk followed by a short subway ride, they sat at the Parkside Grille.

"I love Angels Of A Lesser God," April said. "Everyone says The Republic is better, but I'm on the Lesser God side of that fight."

"I like both," Jack said, "for different reasons."

"I hope you saw us at The Garden in June," Joe furrowed his brow.

"Yeah," said April. "but we didn't have great seats."

"You should have called me. I would've hooked you up."

Jack and April made eye contact, then turned to Joe.

"Tina vetoed that plan." Jack said. "We bought tickets. She sat in a luxury suite with her husband's Wall Street friends."

"Tina was at the show?"

"Of course, she was," April said, "but she made it clear she wouldn't be seeing you."

"What happened, Joe?" Jack asked. "When was the last time you talked to her?"

"Thirteen months ago."

Joe didn't know what else to say. The last thing he wanted to do was give up Tina's infidelity. He claimed unconvincingly that he didn't know what went wrong. He did say one thing that resembled the truth.

"I think she was uncomfortable spending time with me," Joe said in a half-whisper. "Your sister and I carry a lot of emotional baggage, and she still has her morals. I misplaced mine years ago."

The waitress came with their breakfast orders, sparing Joe from further discussing his break with T. They talked about music, The Big Johnsons, and what Joe was doing in town.

"We're doing final prep on this Asian tour, then were away for a month and done with the road. The guys have families."

April's eyes widened. "You're done touring?"

"It seems so,' he nodded.

"I can't believe the Garden is the last time we'll see you play," April lamented.

"I can hook you up with tickets for Japan in October."

Jack looked at his wife. "Don't even think about it."

Nearly done eating, Jack went quiet. April nudged him, a prod to get him to ask something.

"Joe, if you think it's not our business, you can tell me to fuck off, but I have to ask; did you and Tina have an affair?" He paused, focused intensely on Joe's eyes. "Is that what happened?"

Joe made confessional eye contact with April, then looked back at Jack. He played defense with a reply question, "Why would you think that?"

Jack leaned forward. "First of all, the day after you kidnapped us on your bus, I called her gallery. She wasn't there. I tried her apartment three times. There was no answer. Were you with her that day?"

Joe didn't answer the question. Jack and April said nothing. They went back to eating. A long silence followed the unanswered question.

"We knew it." Jack finally said. "It's so damn obvious."

"I'm sorry we pried," April said sadly.

"It's okay," said Joe. "I haven't confessed anything."

"You didn't deny it either," Jack noted.

Joe fiddled with the remnants on his plate. He looked at Jack. His silence spoke volumes.

"Drop it, Jack," April said. "You said Joe could tell you to fuck off if it's not your business. He's too nice to say so. He clearly thinks it is not our business." She reached across and placed her hand on Joe's. "I'm sorry. We've suspected it for a long time."

"Sorry, Joe," Jack said low. "It's just been on my mind. I worry about T, and she doesn't seem happy these days."

"Well," said April, "she's got a lot to worry about."

Jack looked up at Joe. "Troy's brokerage is being investigated by the SEC. He says it's not a big deal, but Tina's not convinced."

"What kind of investigation?" Joe asked.

Jack shrugged. "Insider trading, securities fraud, the typical Wall Street stuff."

"The crimes no one goes to jail for," Joe noted.

It turns out April's a little gossip. "Tina's suspicious of Troy's circle of Wall Street friends, his poker crew. She thinks they have no scruples, that they'd steal a nickel from grandma for the satisfaction of winning."

Joe laughed. "That's my line! She stole that line from me."

"She's not herself, Joe. When she forbade us to contact you for tickets to the show, it was surreal. We knew something bad happened."

"She forbid you?"

"Yeah," Jack nodded. "It wasn't a request. She made it clear. We were not to reach out to you."

"I'll tell ya one thing," April said. "She didn't have fun that night. Troy's friends are not her people. She wishes she sat with us in the nosebleeds."

"We weren't in the nosebleeds," Jack corrected her.

"We weren't backstage either," she quipped.

Jack looked at his watch. It was after a 2 AM. "We should go. She's probably waiting up for us." He glanced at Joe. "We stay at Tina's place whenever we have a night in the city. She insists."

"She doesn't want us taking the subway to Brooklyn at this hour," April added.

"I can't say I blame her," Joe called for the waitress, and paid the tab.

"Joe," Jack looked him square in the eyes. "We can't tell Tina that we saw you. It would open a can of emotional worms I don't want to wrestle with."

"I don't blame you, brother," Joe smirked. "My days wrangling those emotions are over too."

After a goodbye on the sidewalk, Joe walked fifteen blocks in the wind back to The Chelsea Hotel wondering what was going on in Tina's troubled life.

*****

Laura called Joe into her office late Monday morning. She closed the door behind them.

"I have a message for you."

"From who?"

"Tina."

Joe looked up. "Really? We haven't spoken in over a year."

"I know, and I think I know why." She sat at her desk. "I guess you ran into her brother Friday night. That's what she told me."

"Fuck. He said he wouldn't tell her."

"Joe, there have been rumors floating around here about you and Tina for two years. After a while, I dismissed them, because it was clear you weren't seeing her. Now I think the rumors were true - two years ago."

Joe said nothing, another confession through silence.

"Anyway," said Laura. "She wants you to call her." She slid a scrap of paper to him. "That's her office number."

"I have her number." He turned to the door.

"Joe," she said. "Be careful with that one."

Joe turned back. "What makes you think we fooled around?"

"Every time she showed up at a gig, you were scarce afterward. No one knew where you were."

"That's all you got?"

"It was enough to make people speculate. After SNL, we didn't see you for two days."

"People," he shook his head. "They love gossip."

Laura smirked, "Especially when it's true."

Joe smiled because that was also his line. She stole it.

*****

On Tuesday, Joe phoned The Amethyst Gallery. Casey answered. Tina was in a meeting. When he identified himself, she had a message.

"Oh, she was hoping you'd call, Joe. Mrs. Giacomo would like you to have lunch with her. Can you be here around 11:40?"

There was silence on his end, stunned silence. "I suppose I can do that."

"Great. I'll make reservations. See you then."

"Hey, Casey."

"Yes, Joe?"

"How is she?"

"Hard to say, she has good days and bad days."

"Don't we all? I'll see you later."

Joe's arrival at the gallery was awkward. He made small talk with Casey in reception while waiting too long for Tina. She was saying goodbyes to clients across the showroom. When she was done, she didn't acknowledge Joe. She went to her office and came out with her coat on, ready to go. Tina still didn't greet Joe. Her tone was businesslike

"I'll be a couple of hours, Casey."

"No rush," Casey smiled at Joe. "Your afternoon is clear."

"I'll be back. I have work to do." Tina noted coldly.

Tina glanced at Joe, no smile, and made a head movement to suggest he follow her. He sprinted ahead to open the door. She passed without a word. Joe sensed her chill and knew he was about to get an earful of whatever irked her. She walked purposely, Joe a half pace behind her catching up. The moment they reached the corner, away from the gallery windows, she stopped and turned to Joe.

"You told my brother we had an affair? What the fuck is wrong with you?"

Joe didn't match her tone. He spoke calmly. "I did no such thing."

"So, you met him Friday night and now he magically knows we fucked?"

"Apparently, he suspected all along." Joe paused. "T, your brother asked me point blank if we had an affair."

A brisk wind blew her purple hair sideways. "And what did you say?"

"I didn't say anything."

Tina began walking again, but not as briskly. "You didn't think to deny it?"

"No. I didn't." He paused. "You know me, T. I'm a terrible liar. I didn't confirm or deny it. They already knew."

"And your silence was damning. Thanks, now my brother knows for sure. I'm an adulterer!"

Whoa!" Joe stopped. "Is it my fault Jack did the math? He put me on the spot, and I didn't lie. So, fucking sue me."

Tina stood still, the wind now blowing her hair forward, in her face. When she didn't reply, he continued.

"Your brother called the gallery and your apartment the day after the Beacon show. Remember the phone kept ringing that day, and you ignored it? That was Jack."

"He's known all along?"

"He's suspected all along," Joe said. "When you forbid them to contact me, it added to his suspicion." He watched Tina, hoping for a sign her anger was subsiding "Ya know, T. Not once did I make a first move. I let you take the lead. I put myself where I wanted to be, I did that, because I wanted you, but I was very careful not to lead." He paused. "And you blame me."

She stood there, still silent, passersby had to go around them. "You led in subtle ways, Joe. You're cunning like that."

"Okay." He threw his hands up. "Well, you said what you had to say. I see no reason to have lunch so you can scold me for what happened." Joe turned and walked.

"Joe! Don't go. I'm sorry."

He stopped and turned back, staring at her twelve feet away.

"This is stupid. The bistro is right over there." She pointed down the street. "Please have lunch with me. We need to talk." She paused. "I need to talk."

Joe stepped towards her. She turned and put her elbow out so he could take her arm. As they walked, she leaned against him; something she'd been doing since their first date.

The hostess at Bistro Soho showed them to a booth in the back of the restaurant, Tina looked at Joe over her menu. He pretended to not notice she was staring. Four minutes in, they hadn't yet spoken.

"May I order for both of us?" She asked.

Joe placed his menu on the table. "That takes the pressure off me."

"I come here all the time, too much actually. I'm getting fat."

"I noticed you look a little pudgy."

"I am not pudgy," she protested. "I've gained a few pounds."

"What, maybe five."

"Three," she said low.

"Oh. My. God. You weigh a hundred and twenty-one pounds?" Joe smiled. "Moooooo."

"You're such a jerk," she said. "How do you know how much I weigh?"

"Because for years you threw that 112 number around like it was an accomplishment."

"I did not."

"It was 110 when we first met, but you packed on two pounds your senior year."

Tina didn't respond. The waitress arrived. T ordered two martinis, which surprised Joe, as well as an appetizer and two entrees. The attractive waitress stared at Joe for a moment, smiled, and walked away.

"Great," Tina muttered under her breath. "She recognizes you."

"Probably not. She didn't scream and faint."

"Very funny."

"When we met at the Beacon you whined that you had gained six pounds like it was fifty."

"I do remember that."

"That's one-eighteen, add three more and you got one twenty-one."

Joe noticed how easily they slipped right back into their roles. The banter, the teasing, and her smile. It was so natural being with her, even when they argued in the street, he felt strangely comfortable.

"So, T. What is it we have to talk about after thirteen months, four days - he looked at his naked wrist - six hours and seventeen minutes?"

She smiled at his dumb joke, followed by a light sigh. "Too much for one lunch. First, I'm sorry about what I said in the street. I thought you confessed to Jack we had fucked, and that pissed me off."

"Do you really think I'd be that indiscreet; especially regarding us?"

"No, and I think that's what shocked me. I couldn't believe it, but I had no other explanation." She took a sip of water. "They crashed at my place after you saw them. They left early in the morning barely saying a word. That was really odd because they usually stay for breakfast. On Sunday, we had dinner with Mom and Dad. Before I arrived Jack told Dad they had run into you and had breakfast. He wasn't supposed to repeat that, but Dad loves throwing you in my face; the one that got away.

"I always like your dad."

"And the feeling is mutual." Tina paused as the waitress delivered water. "After dinner, Jack made some dumb comment when Mom and Dad were out of the room. April smacked him."

"What did he say?"

"That I probably moistened my panties when Dad spoke your name. Then he said...."

"Did you wet yourself?"

Tina made a face without replying, "Then Jack said, 'I finally know why you didn't want us to contact Joe."

"Now that's indiscreet."

"Well, I ignored him but was pretty pissed off that he was being a jerk about it, and at you for telling him."

Joe raised a hand to get a word in, "I think taking a hard line against them contacting me for Garden tickets was a major clue. April said they knew something was terribly wrong."

"That was a mistake," Tina admitted. "I should have called you for passes. I did not have a fun night in the Garden. You were great, but the company I was in sucked."

"A luxury box is no way to experience our act."

"They're great for Knicks games, but you're right; they're not good for concerts. You feel disconnected from the crowd."

"You're above the crowd, not part of it."

"Well, Troy surprised me with that suite. He thought I would love it. He invited his friends, not my friends, or even my brother. We had twelve people in there, all brokers, bankers, and their wives."

"Ugh, sounds like torture by a thousand shallow pretensions."

She smirked, "You have no idea."

"T, I live in LA. I have an idea. It's the capital of pretense."

"The wives interrogated me about us. Two, in particular, wanted details. When a third woman I had never met before, a real superfan of yours, realized I was the woman you lived with in the West Village, she nearly lost her mind, 'How could you leave him?' Troy overheard it. Everyone did. It was awful."

The waitress delivered two martinis and an ahi tuna appetizer. Tina waited for her to leave.

"She heard your story at the Beacon show. Then Troy took a few stupid shots at you, and my mood went sour. I was so glad when the show started and that bitch shut the fuck up about us. She was obnoxious. Then we were so far from the stage I had to watch you on the video screens; not a great night."

They both took sips of their martinis.

"You could've been backstage and had front-row seats. I gave away my allotment at Tommy's the day of the show after I gave up on you."

12