Puppy Love Ch. 05

Story Info
Jack and Luke talk books, the past and new experiences.
4.9k words
4.85
2.6k
9

Part 5 of the 6 part series

Updated 07/07/2023
Created 05/10/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 5 of 6

As usual I'm always interested in your thoughts and feedback

Jack's alarm went off Tuesday morning... the sound of rain tap dancing on the bedroom window.

Looking at Luke laying in bed next to him, he let out a steady breath of relief... it wasn't a dream. Everything that happened between them was real. He laughed to himself, still having a hard time wrapping his brain around it all.

Jack reached over and gave Luke a light shake "time to get up" Jack whispered "we've gotta get ready for work."

Rolling over towards Jack, Luke opened his eyes and stretched his arms wide. Damn, those eyes. Those greener than green eyes. "Sounds like it raining" Jack said "do you still want to walk to work or take the car?"

"Doesn't really matter to me" Luke yawned "either is fine with me."

Jack leaned in against Luke and kissed him, a few bright, rapid kisses on his lips that Luke greedily accepted. Running his fingers over Luke's chest, Jack stopped and brushed the right nipple, his index finger circling around the dark red nub - giving a light tug on the silver piercing. Luke let slip a moan of pleasure and cracked a playful smile.

"Maybe the car? We can swing by my place on the way in to see if I have water yet?"

"Yeah, great idea, that works for me."

"Plus, if you don't stop teasing me..." Luke took Jack's hand and placed it on his hard cock "see what you started."

Jack laughed "sorry, my bad. Need me to handle that for you?"

"No" Luke chuckled, rolling onto his side, away from Jack "you've done more than enough, thank you." He laughed "If you keep this up we won't just be late for work, we'll never leave the house." Taking one more look at the clock on the bedside table "yeah, definitely the car."

-

Luke dragged himself out of Jack's bed, he could hear Theo and Olive whimpering on the other side of the door. The dogs immediately charged the room, happily bounding in and out, trampling Luke when he opened it. Dogs around this feet, dogs running around the room, dogs jumping on the bed. Luke stood silently and watched, smiling to himself. Olive was happy, he was happy and, especially, Jack was happy. He could get used to this whole happiness thing.

"We'll divide and conquer this morning. You shower and I'll let the dogs out. Then you can bring them back in while I clean up."

Luke closed his eyes and slowly shook his head "so that means I'll be freshly showered and wrangling two wet dogs back into the house? How dumb do you think I am Mr. Poole?"

"Caught that did you?" Jack smiled "Ok, new plan. We both take the dogs out and then come up and shower together." Jack waggled his eyebrows.

Luke leaned close into Jack "Much." kiss "Better." kiss "Plan." kiss.

Before heading off, Jack and Luke settled Theo and Olive in for the day. Jack knew the dogs would be fine at home for the day. Theo had spent many days unsupervised while Jack worked - Olive would be just fine for her first 'home alone' work day.

-

At the office, Jack and Luke rode the elevator to the third floor. Stepping out, they each briefly took the others' hand - giving a gentle squeeze, and turned to their respective directions. Jack going left to Art, Luke to the right towards Authors.

Bob Brown rounded the corner just as Jack was settling into his desk "So, Jack, how are we doing with the art for the Princess Pig book?"

"Last illustration is sketched, just needs to be outlined and colored. I'll have everything ready for prepress today. Right on schedule."

"Excellent Jack! Great job... because I have your next assignment ready to go."

"I already have my next assignment. I've had it for a couple weeks now."

Bob made a sweeping motion with his hands "brush that aside for the time being. We have a book we're aiming to push out a little sooner than expected. Needs a new front cover."

This wasn't anything new, it's rather common in publishing. One book may suddenly become ready to launch sooner, so projects are swapped out.

Bob handed him an intent page including a brief synopsis of the book, age demographic, author info and more "That's fine. What am I working on now?"

"A new YA novel by an up and coming author. It's already been through the first round of revisions... the author is working on those now." Bob stood there as Jack scanned his new assignment. "content could be ready to go in a month or less."

"Shelter Me by Lily Kelly" Jack read.

FUCK! This is Luke's book! He didn't say anything about the title change... I wonder if he even knows? Plus the author too... does he realize it's not even in his name anymore!?

"Wait, no. Author pitched a new name and Marketing ate it up. It's part of the reason we need a new cover."

Bob took the intent page back from Jack, crossing out the old title and replacing it with 'Puppy Love'... the idea he and Luke came up with at the diner.

"Takes place around two teens volunteering at an animal shelter, what I read of it sounds sweet."

Jack smiled back at Bob "Thanks for the info... I'll have it ready for deadline."

Bob began to walk away but stopped, turning around slowly "I'm sure you'll come up with something great for Luke" he grinned a wide smile "after all, that's why I gave it to you."

"What do you... I mean... why would you think? We're not..."

Bob laughed "Just because I'm not in every department every day doesn't mean I don't see things. It's nice to see you shining again Jackson."

Jack looked at his feet and blushed.

-

'Gotta see you at lunch. Do you have time?' Jack texted Luke.

'I'm touched' Luke responded with a blushing emoji.

Jack laughed at the response 'don't flatter yourself, it's business' eye roll emoji.

'Meet you downstairs at Noon?'

'Sure. BTW, Bob suspects something going on between us.'

Luke replied quickly with a mind blown emoji.

'Fill you in at lunch.'

-

Before they knew it, Noon had rolled around and the rain had all but let up. It was just a little Summer drizzle at this point. Jack and Luke walked toward Burgers & Beyond, a trendy sandwich place up the street. Jack was trying to find a gentle way of letting Luke know his fantastic, highly praised, book was no longer his. How do you tell someone who's invested so much energy into a project that it was being pulled out from under them?

After placing their orders, the guys found a seat along the front windows.

"So... what's going on?" Luke asked smiling.

"Shit, don't smile. You're not going to like this" Jack bit his lower lip concentrating on what to say.

"Tell me" Luke was concerned now.

"Ok, I was assigned your book as my next project"

"That's fantastic! What's so bad about that?"

Jack took a deep breath "alright, it needs a new cover because their changing the title to 'Puppy Love'."

"Like we talked about at the diner! That's fantastic!"

"Yeah, well. The book isn't written by Luke Larson, it's someone named Lily..."

Luke cut him off "Lily Kelly".

Jack looked confused "Wait... how? Do you know her?"

"I'm very familiar with her work" Luke smiled "she's a great author."

Jack frowned "so, what, Dove is giving her your book?"

"Kind of" Luke reached across the table and took Jack's hand "Lily Kelly is me... or at least the name they're using for this book at Dove. If it sells as well as they think I'll be writing a few others."

"This doesn't bother you?"

"Jack, authors use pen names all the time... this is mine for three books. When I'm more established I'll begin writing as Luke Larson. Dove is saving Luke for other things."

"So, why Lily Kelly?"

"Not my idea... Marketing chose it. They thought the book was so cute it should have been written by a non threatening young woman, not a 24 year old guy" Luke gave a fake pout "I'm not threatening am I?" he laughed.

Jack didn't relinquish his anger "And you're OK with this? You're initial book being 'written' by someone else?"

Luke looked straight ahead and stared into Jack's eyes "First off, this isn't my first published book. Don't forget, I've written for other publishers who've printed my work. Second, if this takes off I'll be set here for a while... and now I don't have a reason to take off chasing someone else's dreams anymore. I can settle down for once." Luke winked "Maybe find some cute guy I can fall for."

Jack beamed thinking about a 'maybe' with Luke.

"So, the more important, more pressing issue at hand, is what does Bob think about us? Did he seem concerned?" Luke asked anxious.

"No, just the opposite... he seemed genuinely happy. He said it was nice to see me 'shining' again."

Luke offered a small smile "I'm glad he doesn't think it poses an issue, but how did he find out? I was so sure we were being discreet."

"Bob has a sixth sense I think" Jack laughed "he knows all and sees all."

"He should probably be careful of that 'sees all' power... he might not have wanted to see all of what happened last night" Luke laughed. "Bob does have a point though, you've really changed from the shy, head-looking-at-his-feet, blend-into-the-wall guy I first met.

"I guess I hadn't noticed."

-

Their food arrived and conversation paused for a moment for a few quick bites of burgers and fries. Eventually things slowly drifted back to work.

"So, about the cover Lily, do you have any thoughts?" Jack laughed as Luke kicked him under the table.

"That's up to you... you're Art, I'm just the author."

"Well, obviously a boy, a girl and at least one dog. I could do a stylized cover... maybe an illustration of some sort." Jack plotted out the details in his mind as he spoke.

"How about a photo" Luke asked "maybe 2 actual teens, dogs... maybe a graphic of a heart over their heads?

"I like that!" Jack's eyes widened "I like that a lot! We could shoot it at the shelter, maybe use a dog from there."

Luke closed his eyes, deep in thought "just an idea, but what if we used Theo and Olive? They were both shelter dogs."

"That works! Now I just need to line up someone to shoot content. I'll ask Reve... she's a professional photographer. I've used her on other projects... she's excellent."

"I'm loving how this is coming together!

Jack looked ecstatic "Now all I need to do is cast the models. That could be a slight issue with such a short turn around, but I'll call some agents." He leaned into Luke and laughed "you know, if this writing thing never pans out you'd be a good artist."

Luke leaned across the table and gave Jack a playful slap on the shoulder "let's hope it never comes to that."

-

Back at the office, first thing Jack did was call Reve

"Jackson Five! How are you sweetie?"

"I'm great thanks. Hey, I have a job offer for you... depending on your schedule. I need a few photos for a new book cover I'm working on. It will only be one day taking pics at the animal shelter. New book called 'Puppy Love'. I'm booking a teen boy and girl, plus using Theo and Olive as my dogs. I just need some shots of the dogs, each model individually and maybe some group shots... giving me some flexibility for layout." He paused for Reve to think about it "you'd get photo credit of course."

"How soon?"

"Within the next two weeks. Depending on how quick I can get models."

"Sign me up! I'll work around my schedule to get you in. Anything for you, you know that."

"You're a sweetheart... thanks."

As soon as he hung up with Reve, Jack started calling modeling and casting agencies he's worked with in the past. Surprisingly, it was easier to line up prospects than he thought on such short notice. Within a week Jack would have interviews with his potential teens. He called Second Chance Sanctuary to find out if using their facility would be possible. He could probably stage what looked like a shelter for shooting in Reve's studio, but he liked the authenticity of doing it on location. Plus, he liked the shelter would be paid a nice amount of money for their time.

-

Once five o'clock rolled around, Jack and Luke headed for the car for a quick swing by to Luke's house... checking for the progress of the repairs with the hope of running water. The street was lit up by large, bright flood lights as a city crew worked to restore water...the street in front a his house a mess of trenches and craters. Not good signs of working plumbing.

Luke approached a worker standing at the end of the block, not far from his house "excuse me", the guy turned to face him "I live on this block. Any idea of when water will be restored?"

The worker took off his helmet, sliding his hand over his balding head "tomorrow afternoon maybe. We still have to finish replacing piping and test for leaks. The road will still be closed but the block will have water." Looked like he'd have one more night at Jack's. He smiled to himself, never being so happy to be inconvenienced.

Walking back to Jack, Luke shook his head "tomorrow. I won't have water until maybe tomorrow. Think you could have me for one more night?"

Jack let out a loud laugh, then leaned in and whispered to Luke "I'd be happy to have you... over and over and over. C'mon, let's' get going and let the dogs out."

As they headed back to Jack's house they talked more about Luke's book. Jack was still a little concerned with the way Luke was handling being removed from his own book. Once the car was stopped at a traffic light Jack turned to Luke.

"Are you sure about this whole 'Lily Kelly' thing?" Jack furrowed his brows "I know if someone took credit for my work I'd be flipping out."

Luke smiled reassuringly "you understand that I don't own any of the content I create at Dove, right?" he reached over and placed a hand on Jack's knee "that's how it works when you write under contract with a house. Besides, 'I' know I wrote it. Plus, even though I don't get the author credit, if I leave I can still take that book with me for my portfolio. I'm basically a ghostwriter."

"Are you thinking about leaving?!"

"NO! NO! Oh my god no! It's just something I learned after many years of being a nomad. Old habits are hard to break I guess."

Jack left out an audible sigh of relief.

"I promise I have no intention of leaving Dove... or Philadelphia for that matter. I'm under contract for another two books - that'll secure me another year-and-a-half at least. I'm not going anywhere" Luke sighed "Besides, I have a reason to stay now." He leaned over and placed a kiss on Jack's cheek.

-

Back at the house, they let the dogs out for a run and a 'bathroom break'.

Jack looked through his cabinets and pantry, a frown on his face. He turned to the freezer with another look of disappointment and let out a huff "well, I'm sorry to say that I don't have anything that'll compare to what you made last night. Sorry."

"All I made was spaghetti" Luke laughed "it was far from haute cuisine."

"Well, it was amazingly delicious. Best I can do is salmon filets and frozen vegetables."

Luke smiled at him "what's wrong with that? Frozen vegetables taste just as good as fresh... and I'm betting the fish will be fantastic."

"I appreciate the vote of confidence." Jack laughed.

"Well, you're great at everything... I'm betting you'll be great at pulling this together too."

Jack reached out and wrapped his arms around Luke's waist, pulling him close for a kiss.

"I wish I had as much confidence in me as you do." his face falling sullen.

"You know, we talked about what Chris did to me... seems like Mike did a number on you too."

Jack broke their hug and let out a sad little chuckle "yeah, I guess you could say that. He may be out of the house, but he's always here" he tapped his head "always making me second guess everything I do or say."

Standing at the freezer, Jack looked down at his feet - almost frozen to that spot "I feel worthless, you know? He could be a great guy when he wanted to, loving and gentle, but when he wanted to be bastard..." Jack trailed off.

This time Luke reached out and pulled Jack in for the hug.

"What happened? Was he that way from the start?" Luke looked pained at the thought of Jack willing to accept someone like that.

"No... no... he was a great guy. Well, at one time he was a great guy. Before he cheated on me... at least before I found out he cheated on me. I'd be naive to think that was the first time" Jack raked his fingers through his hair "I don't know when the switch flipped, but little by little he just wore me down. Nothing I did was right. He'd fly off the handle if I contradicted him. He belittled me... slowly making me feel like nobody else would ever want me - he'd be the best I could do... what I deserved." tears began to fill Jack's eyes "I guess that's why I tried to commit..." he stopped.

Luke held Jack tightly with one arm around his back, the other wiping away his tears. Jack had said enough of that last sentence for Luke to know the rest.

"Well you have me now. I hope I can make up for all the shit Mike put you through."

"Oh, believe me. You more than have already."

The guys talked while they waited for the oven to warm up. Jack furrowed his brow and stared into Luke's eyes. They were the kind of eyes that were welcoming... beckoning. They made Jack think about things he never thought he'd think of again after Mike. A future with someone who might be able to love him back - who'd 'want' to love him back. Jack leaned into Luke and ran his thumb over his lips.

"So, I just have to ask again... I'm sorry... but is this moving too fast for you? It's only been days but I feel like I've known you forever. Everything was so fast with Mike too...I jumped in with both feet and look where that got me. I don't want to make the same mistake with you. I don't want to end up hurting you. I'm just a little freaked out."

Luke cupped Jack's face in his hands "look, I'm falling just as fast as you are. This is new for me too." Jack leaned in for a kiss "I waited a while before I got serious with Chris. I did all the polite, courting rituals my parents taught me to do. I followed her around like the dutiful little puppy I was expected to be" Luke kissed Jack's forehead, continuing down his nose, eventually landing on his lips "I was a good boyfriend and look... nothing. She destroyed me. I don't get that fear with you. Fast or slow, I'm ready to be in this all the way... If you'll have me."

Jack pulled Luke tightly against him... chills running down his spine when Luke nuzzled his face into his neck. He repeatedly reminded himself that Luke wasn't Mike... but Jack thought of Mike every time he thought of his future. He had no romantic feelings for him, hell, he didn't even miss him. He was afraid of hurting - like the mental and physical torment Mike dished out. Then there was Luke. The last thing he wanted was to wound him, he'd already been through that too. Jack didn't know if either of them could handle that again.

"You know" Luke kissed Jack's cheek "we have time to kill before that oven heats up. Care to, oh I don't know, go upstairs?

Jack broke out a huge grin, laughing "Mr. Larson, are you trying to seduce me?"

"Maybe" Luke laughed back "is it working?"

Jack grabbed Luke's hand and pulled him toward the stairs "Fuck yeah it's working!"

-

Jack sat on the bed. Luke put his palms on Jack's chest and slowly pushed him back, pinning him down. Jack's back now flat on the bed. Luke crawled on top of Jack and slowly pulled himself up so they were now face to face. Jack could feel the hard mound growing down Luke's thigh. Eventually, working a hand free, Jack snaked it down to stroke Luke through his jeans.

-

Jack gripped Luke's neck and pulled him down for a kiss. Each of their open mouths fighting for control, tongues battling for dominance. "Shit, Luke... shit. Fuck me!" Jack begged "I need you to fuck me. Please!" The heat emanating from Jack's body was palpable.

12