Quantum Entanglement Pt. 03

Story Info
Era's new passenger has an interesting secret.
7.1k words
4.81
2.5k
10
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Light Transport 35-a

One light-hour from UN colonized territory

Status: Adrift/Disabled

Captain Era Conrad

I was only knocked out for a few seconds. When I came to, there was a heavy weight pushing down on top of me and something tickling my ear. As my eyes adjusted to the darkened room that was only occasionally lit by flashing emergency lights, I realized that it was the AI who was covering me. His arms were wrapped around my torso, our chests pressed tightly together, and his face was about an inch from mine. It was his hair that was brushing my skin.

A groan slipped out as I tried to move which gained the AI's attention. He lifted up just a little while his eyes and hands searched over me, presumably checking for injuries. I could feel his unmistakable anatomy pressing into my leg and absentmindedly wondered why that particular body part was included on him.

As if suddenly realizing he was on top of me and the only thing keeping me on the floor, he jumped up and then leaned back down to lift me up.

"You don't have any serious injuries, but you were still knocked out by the blast, so you should move slowly."

"Yeah, I got it. Not my first rodeo," I said. My voice was rougher than I'd expected, like I'd just come off a three-day bender. Must've been from the smoke I'd inhaled when the screens blew. Carefully, I sat down in my busted seat in front of my equally busted view screen.

"Darla, status report."

"You or the ship, Captain?" Her soothing voice was unflappable and I was grateful to hear it.

"Start with the ship."

"Shields are holding at fifteen percent but the main light drive took significant damage and will need to be repaired in order to reach FTL speeds. Some hull shielding was damaged as well, but the integrity is stable for the moment. I vented some breathable air to prevent a flashover at the moment of impact, but your companion was able to protect you from respiratory damage until I was able to bring the scrubbing systems back online and restore oxygen to manageable levels. You will need to refill the tanks, though."

I groaned and rubbed my forehead before giving the AI a grateful smile. He returned it with a shy one of his own and a dip of his head. I wasn't sure I wanted to know how he kept the air inside my lungs. It probably required more physical contact than I would've been comfortable with had I been conscious.

"And me?"

"You have a mild concussion and a possible fracture of your right coracoid process, but my scanning functions are currently offline due to power saving protocol 3 so I can only give a cursory examination."

"Sorry, that's my fault," the android added. "I felt it break when I took you to the floor. I didn't gauge my weight properly in the heat of the moment."

I sighed. Now that the shock of what had happened was wearing off, the pain was hitting me like a freight hauler. "It's okay. Judging from the condition of my ship, you saved me from something worse. So thank you."

"You're welcome." That unnervingly handsome smile was back, making the hard lines of his face more noticeable. I had to look away before I got caught staring at him. He really was quite well made.

"Are there any other dangers lurking that I should be aware of?"

"No, Captain. There appears to have been only one drone set up to stop recovery efforts. It self-destructed upon releasing its payload so there isn't likely any recoverable information in the wreckage."

"Why go through the trouble of destroying the freighter, the salvager, and the drone," I mused aloud. "Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through for standard pirates."

"Agreed, Captain. I was able to sift some cursory data from the missile immediately prior to impact and it appeared to be military-grade but all identification codes had already been scrubbed."

"That's not exactly unusual for pirates, but it isn't common either. Send what data you collected to corporate and see if Raimey or the others can find anything in the system."

"Unfortunately, I can't do that, Captain. I was able to send out a mayday and distress coordinates before the blast took out my communications systems, but they are currently beyond my own replication abilities. They will need to be addressed in a maintenance dock."

"So you mean for all corporate knows, I'm dead?"

"Yes, Captain."

"Well that fucking sucks. This is really going to screw up my pay allotment."

The android beside me snorted. "You're more worried about your pay than your friends and family thinking you're dead?"

I bit my lip before meeting his eyes. "I only have a couple friends that would care. No family to speak of. Those that know me probably wouldn't give two shits if I didn't make it back to port."

The AIs eyebrows knitted together. "I'm sure that's not true."

I shrugged as I pushed away from the control panel, suddenly realizing what a terrible idea that had been considering that my shoulder was apparently broken. "Be that as it may, I'm sure corporate is more worried about the loss of one of their ships than me. Darla, how long will it take us to make it back home?"

"If we could go directly there, approximately one month, but without filling the oxygen tanks and making necessary repairs to the FTL drive and hull shielding we wouldn't make it that far. Not with you alive. Instead, I have set a course for the nearest station with the maintenance capabilities to address our issues and a medical team that can take care of you."

"Fine," I groaned out as I looked at the ceiling for patience. This day had really gone to shit. "How long before we get there?"

"One standard week."

"Very well. I'm going to get some medicine and hit the rack. Wake me if you need me."

"Uh, Captain..." the AI started. I turned and looked at him with what I was sure was the bitchiest face I could muster. He swallowed and stood. I tried not to focus on the way his Adam's apple bobbed in his muscular throat. Now was not the time for my unattended libido to make itself known.

"Yes?"

"You have a concussion. I wouldn't advise sleeping right now."

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly to calm my irritation that had more to do with my increasing pain levels than the android who was just trying to be helpful.

"Do you sleep?"

"No."

"Then you can watch over me and make sure I'm not slipping into a coma."

Though, at this point, a coma might not be the worst thing to happen to me, I thought ruefully.

"Of course."

Shaking my head, I turned away from the bridge and carefully made my way toward the living compartment. Everything was a mess but I didn't have the energy or the physical capability to handle any of it at the moment. The AIs quiet footsteps behind me were unnerving but also a little comforting. Darla had been my only companion for so long, I'd forgotten what it was like to have a tangible body on the ship with me. After my past, it had just been easier to keep myself separated from other people but apparently it wasn't as easy as I thought it was to turn off one's need for companionship.

My personal compartment was surprisingly not too damaged, but that was likely because I didn't have a lot of personal effects to go scattering in the event that the ship nearly got blown to hell. I found a clean pair of performance clothes and immediately started ripping off my torn uniform before I remembered the AI was currently in the room as well. To his credit, he had already turned around to give me a semblance of privacy.

I quickly realized, though, that I wasn't going to be able to dress myself with a broken shoulder.

"Shit," I mumbled to myself.

"Captain?"

I closed my eyes and took another calming breath. "I'm gonna need your help with this."

"Of course."

He was beside me in a second, making quick work of removing my damaged clothes. His fingers skimmed over my skin, making goosebumps pop up despite my will. I braced my left hand on his shoulder as he helped me into my leggings and tried not to marvel at the feel of his marble-like muscles in my grip.

"What's your name, by the way," I asked, suddenly realizing I didn't know it yet.

"Jaesung. But my owner calls me Jae."

"Who's your owner?"

"Meredith Mahoney." He bit his lower lip and looked straight in my eyes as he helped me remove my torn bra and pulled a tank top over my head and down my stomach. I winced as he helped get my arms through then stepped back and took a seat on the chair in the corner of the room.

"Do you know what happened to her?" His second question was softer and I could see the concern in his expressive golden eyes.

It was my turn to try and ignore the elephant in the room. I immediately turned and started trying to fix my bed so I could get into it. "The crew and passengers were abandoned on Triton. Four were rescued but I don't know their names. Maybe she made it."

Jae didn't say anything. Probably because he knew as well as I did that anyone rich enough to afford an AI as well made as him wasn't likely to have the wherewithal to survive the harsh conditions of Triton. I wasn't going to be the one to bring that up, though.

"Do you need me to do something about your shoulder," Jae asked. He sounded more subdued before, like he actually cared about his owner and what happened to her.

"Actually, yeah. A sling probably wouldn't hurt." I directed Jae to where I kept the scant medical supplies I'd managed to steal from corporate and it didn't take long for him to return with everything he needed to put a makeshift sling together. As he worked, I watched the concentration on his face.

"So what kind of AI are you?"

His shy smile was replaced with a dangerous smirk and I knew in that moment I'd already figured it out when he was on top of me...I'd just chosen to ignore it.

"I'm a companion."

Most AI were built for work and had the hardware to match. They were human-looking, but below their clothes and synthetic skin, they were completely utilitarian. This one, though, was almost...supple. He was designed to be the ultimate lover when human companionship was either not available or not desirable. A chill ran down my spine and settled like a rock in my stomach. I tried not to let my personal opinions of the whole thing show on my face. I had never been a fan of the whole concept of forced companionship, even with a machine, but I wasn't in the position to judge it, either. The guy had saved me after all.

"Ah. Gotcha," I mumbled. "I was just curious because you seem to be really good with your hands."

His eyes flicked up to mine and he smirked again before returning to his makeshift medical care. I could feel my face light on fire and decided to look anywhere but at him. Luckily, aside from the glance that had my stomach and lower regions doing things they absolutely should not be doing, he didn't call me on my accidental double entendre.

A few minutes of awkward silence passed before he declared his work done. Without another word, I nodded and slipped under the covers, rolling onto my side to face the wall instead of Jae. He said he would check me every couple of hours to make sure I was still cognizant but that was it. I got the feeling he needed some time to himself to process everything as much as I did.

***

Fire raged and swelled through the corridor like waves on an angry sea. They nipped and bit at my legs, arms, and face, but I didn't stop running. I couldn't stop running. I had to get there. To her.

Screams and sirens created a cacophony in my ears and the metal gangway ripped into my bare feet. Though I ran as hard as I could, the corridor only seemed to grow longer. No matter how my lungs burned, I couldn't stop.

Why had they hit the civilian transport rather than the military escort? It didn't make sense. It was clearly marked on the side. The call numbers and civilian status were broadcasted on a constant loop throughout the system. It couldn't have been a mistake...

Passengers fell around me, gripping their burning flesh as the fire entered their lungs. Then they went silent. The silence rose around me, louder than the sirens. The terrible silence that would never leave. Never stop echoing through my brain.

Is that what happened to her? Did she die so agonizingly? Did she burn like they did?

All at once, the vessel split apart and the aching silence of space filled me.

"Captain! Captain, wake up! Era!"

Hearing my name spoken like that pulled me from my nightmare. It was as if a lover was calling to me. Someone who actually cared if I lived or died.

"I'm good, I'm good," I shouted back, pushing Jae away from me. He didn't let go of my face, his eyes searching mine for something.

"You are most definitely not good. I've been trying to wake you for ten minutes."

"It's okay. It's just a nightmare. I have them all the time but as you can tell, I'm carrying on a conversation. I know where I'm at. I'm not slipping into a coma."

Jae didn't exactly look convinced, but he still let me go and sat up. I rubbed my eyes and maneuvered myself upright while he kept his watchful gaze on me. "This is the fourth time you've woken me up to check on me. I think it's safe to say that my concussion isn't that bad."

"Who's Lexi?"

I couldn't stop myself as I glared at him. Anyone else would know not to bring that name up around me, but considering what I usually got like during my nightmares, I couldn't exactly fault him for his curiosity.

"My daughter."

Jae's face softened instantly into exactly what I hadn't wanted to see. Pity. The moment I saw that, emotions welled up inside me that I'd rather not deal with at the moment so I kicked my legs out of the covers, swung them over the bed, and stomped out of the room towards the head. I'd spent the better part of two years doing everything possible to avoid thinking of her and I wasn't going to slip up now.

Thankfully, Jae didn't bother me while I clumsily tried to relieve myself. We both knew I wasn't going to be able to shower by myself until my shoulder was seen by a doctor, but I wasn't ready for that conversation. I'd been humiliated enough already.

When I finally came out and braced myself against the doorway, Jae was still sitting on the bed where I'd left him. I realized then that his leg was still damaged from whatever had happened on the freighter. It was hard for him to walk with the damage and yet, he'd been so concerned with taking care of me that he hadn't even bothered to try to repair himself. Guilt settled in my stomach like spoiled meat.

I crossed my good arm over my chest and nodded towards his leg. "How'd that happen?"

He looked down like he was just remembering that something had happened in the first place. He rubbed his injury absently. "I was trying to fix the reactor core to get some heat in the ship when it started to roll. The gravity drive hadn't completely given out yet. One of the weakened supports broke and the whole core slammed into me."

"Shit," I said. "Those cores weigh, what? Several thousand kilos? What the hell are you made out of that you could survive that with just some damage to your leg?" Jae answered with a shrug and a doe-eyed look. Something nagged at the back of my brain, but I pushed it off. Probably just exhaustion.

"Well, luckily for you, I'm good with tools. Let's see what I can do about fixing that up for you."

It took me a few minutes to find my arc cutter and plasma welder in the mess from the blast. When I made it back to my quarters, Jae had already removed his pants and was sitting there in nothing but his torn boxers. I swallowed hard. His golden brown skin was smooth and taught over thigh muscles that flexed and bulged just like any exceptionally fit human's would. For a moment, I wondered what those legs would feel like under mine.

You're a fucking professional, Era! Act like it!

The mental chastising was exactly what I needed to snap me out of my daze. I pulled the chair over closer to the bed and leaned over Jae's bare leg. Before my mind could wander to the very evident bulge that never seemed to go away, I got to work trying to repair the crushed and burned mechanics inside him.

"So what's going to happen to me when we get back to your corporate headquarters?"

"I'll find Raimey and see if she can pull up anything on miss Mahoney in the database to try and get you home."

"And if she's...if she didn't make it?"

I had the feeling Jae knew as well as I did what would happen to him if his owner was dead without a proper transfer of property set up but I didn't want to be the one to tell him if he didn't.

"I'm not sure."

I could feel him staring down at me but I ignored him and kept to my work. Thankfully, he didn't bring the subject up anymore. Though I couldn't say why, the idea of something as beautiful as him could be destroyed and pieced out for parts broke my heart. He was the most humanlike AI I'd ever known and the idea of him being treated like nothing more than scrap metal was horrifying and barbaric.

It took me the better part of an hour to get the mechanics of his leg working somewhat properly again but Jae smiled like I'd just dipped him in gold. "It works perfectly," he said, jumping up and walking back and forth across the small bedroom. He even hopped up and down a couple times to be sure and somehow managed to make the action look very athletic.

"I wouldn't go that far," I said with a chuckle, ignoring the dryness in my throat. "Your skin is beyond my capabilities, but the mechanics should hold well enough to get you to someone better skilled. If the station Darla is taking us to is big enough, there should even be some skin dealers that can get you looking as good as new."

"Don't sell yourself short, Captain. You did an amazing job."

I laughed again. "Call me Era. I've tried to get Darla to do it, but she's stubborn."

"Captain? Did you call for me?"

Jae and I looked at each other as I lifted my eyebrow in a silent 'see'. He laughed and shook his head.

"No, Darla. You're good."

"Okay, Captain. Your vitals are looking better than they did yesterday. Glad to know you're feeling better already."

"Thanks, Darla."

***

Jae and I spent the rest of the week cleaning the ship, making what repairs we could, and playing card games in our down time. I found out that he was a terrible welder but an exceptional liar. I was currently down 700 credits between our poker and blackjack hands. He'd offered to play strip poker to make it less expensive but I realized if I tried that, I'd be walking around naked the whole time and that wouldn't be good at all. At least not if I wanted to keep my distance from the painfully attractive companion bot.

When the lights of the Kir-Rye space station came into view, I was more than ready to put the ship into maintenance dock and put some distance between me and Jae. I knew I couldn't just abandon him, but I thought I could at least get him to power down and stay on the ship while I went in search of supplies and maybe a skin dealer to come fix his leg.

But to my dismay, as soon as we docked, Jae was standing beside me in the airlock in a spare uniform he'd found in cargo storage. The leather fit him like a glove and covered all of his skin in a way that somehow only accentuated how fucking hot he was. He could've even been mistaken for a soldier with his tall, powerful frame and sharp eyes. He looked older than he had before with an air of quiet confidence that had me weak in the knees like some horny teenager.

Jae's smile gave me the impression that he was trying to say he had my back on the notoriously lawless station, but instead it came off a little cocky. Despite my feminist nature, "cocky" and "confident" were weaknesses of mine. I looked away with a half-hearted smile and tried to focus on the sound of pressurization as the ship docked.

12