Quaranteam - 808 State Ch. 10-11

Story Info
Island life during DH. Lots on Mal's mind.
7.6k words
4.63
3.5k
18

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 04/22/2024
Created 02/05/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: Hi all, my apologies for the delay on this one. I'm super-annoyed at whatever idiot thought a chain of text messages — no, MULTIPLE chains of texts — would be a WONDERFUL idea. Oh. Wait-a-minute... Well, in this instance, I do sorta hate myself. That was NOT a fun thing to format. I'm hoping the next submission (Ch. 12 & 13) will be a little simpler, I've already started on the formatting for it, even before the beta revision and final reviews are done. If you're reading on a phone, and the text message exchange looks weirdly wrapped, I suggest rotating your phone 90 degrees while you read through the texts. Unless the formatting gets totally messed up, in which case I'm sorry, it didn't work the way I thought it would from the Lit preview. Apologies, I only have one type of phone I can send/receive the texts to build the exchange on.

Again, mahalo nui loa to Corrupting Power (Devin McTaggert) for permitting me to play in his universe, and for putting up with my, "Yo, Dev, is it cool if let this into the wild?" Mahalo also to the other spin-off writers and our friend and beta reader for their encouragement, advice, and assistance in proofreading, and I'm sorry that the grammar of Pidgin results in so many, "Is this actually how it's said?" "Yup." comment-response exchanges. I truly appreciate your questions and assistance, cause, bumbai, I goin get sumting all hamajang sum time! So you guys forcing me to double-check helps. (bumbai: sooner or later, at some point | hamajang: messed-up, improper)

If you haven't read the other spin-off authors yet, please go do so! They've written some really great kaʻao (stories [fiction])! Oh. one last thing. There's no sex in this submission, but the next one has some. Again, this is a novel (in serial form). The sex isn't hidden away, but there are going to be chapters where the characters aren't actually getting it on.

Chapter 10

July 12, 2020

Mal was a bit puzzled as to how the rock that had damaged his fence had loosened and began to roll — the neighboring slope wasn't bare of vegetation, being covered with uluhe fern. Except for a crushed line along the boulder's path. From what Mal could see across the fence, erosion didn't look like a big issue, but there had been that storm recently, and minor trembler-quakes were a weekly event when you lived on the flank of an active volcano. Plus, uluhu fern was great at covering formerly grubbed and cleared properties, concealing all sorts of things under the spreading, yet spindly, stems and false staghorn fronds.

Mal simply chalked it up to the combined effects of weather and geology, and thought about what he'd need to fix the fence, while hoping he wouldn't be doing this again next week. And, despite what he'd assumed yesterday, when he and Kat and Callie had come up here, they'd found that there wasn't actually a puka — the fence was still intact, just significantly damaged, with two posts leaning and the fabric distorted and stretched. If the rock had knocked it down and rolled along, it would have been easy. Well, maybe not exactly easy, but thanks to the concrete post footings not being significantly displaced, he'd only have to cut and weld new posts in, which still meant bringing the small generator back here to run the welder before he could stretch new fencing. Unfortunately, the chain link fence had caught the damned rock like a net, and now Mal had a roughly 600-lb boulder sitting smack in his fenceline. So before he could even begin to fix the fence, he needed to finish destroying it — by cutting it to free the big rock — and then he could lever the boulder out of the way.

*Yeah, maybe. I might finish this today. Let's see. Got the grinder and cutting wheel. Maybe cut this side first, looks like the rock might settle a little more that way. Wait. Welding jacket and face shield first, Mal.*

Malcolm, properly protected, made quick work of the damaged chain link fence. As he'd suspected, the boulder settled a bit more once the tension from the fence was released. He inspected the bent posts and decided that he could probably just partly cut and straighten them, instead of fully replacing them.

He grabbed his steel oʻo and shoved it under the boulder, then lifted it and kicked a chunk of 4x6 under the bar as a fulcrum. "Come on, you heavy bitch-ass rock. Move!" The rock shifted, sliding down along the metal bar. "Damn it. Too much to hope for that it'd just roll away. Okay. Again. Hell, I only need to move it a couple feet for now."

Mal repositioned his tools and tried again. The rock slid a few inches further. Again. And again. Each time, the rock slid a little further. "Yeah, yeah, Archimedes. No, you're absolutely right. I am moving this earth."

Again. "Eureka!" Mal shouted triumphantly. *Wait, did I use that right? I dunno, why are you asking me — I still think it means, 'Give me a towel!' Gods above and below, brain, you're no bloody help at all.* Mal checked the time. "Okay, just past noon. Hope Gwen and Kat have had lunch already." He texted Gwen:

Just got the rock out of the way.

Still need to weld the posts and replace

the fabric.

You guys have lunch already?

Gwen responded:

G: Yes. Spaghetti-Os and tangerines.

Both of us. Evelyn's still sleeping. She's

stopped saying 'imprinting'. That's

normal.

We're back outside - working in the

garden. I'm horny, but fine. I'll make it.

Okay. Can I come down and get a quick

bite?

G: Of food? Yes. Maybe don't stop by us.

Can you sneak by so Kat doesn't see

you and want to show you where she

wants things to go? Please?

Er. Uh, yeah. Keep her looking south, I'll

come down along the north side and

go around the house.

G: 👍

Mal shook his head and slipped his phone back into his pocket. "She planning on avoiding me until tomorrow night? Bloody hells, this is more complex than the freaking quarantining." He set off along the north side, headed for the house. There was a 50' span of open yard he'd have to cross, but he'd be able to see Gwen and Kat before he broke cover. Fortunately, they were both kneeling in the garden, facing south, away from him.

Callie was wriggling on her back, between him and his family. Mal waited until she stopped, then got her attention, holding his finger straight up. The cattle dog sprang to her feet, her tongue lolling, then obediently sat down. Mal quick-stepped across the yard as Callie quietly held the sit command. Before he got out of the dog's sight, he gave her the release signal, while putting his finger to his lips. Callie tilted her head quizzically, but then chuffed and flopped back down on the grass again.

Mal left his boots on the porch and let himself in. He headed down the hall to the guest room — Evelyn's room, now. He tapped his knuckles against the door, then, feeling a bit silly as he recalled that Evelyn wouldn't be awake for many more hours, gently opened it.

Evelyn was still where Mal had left her. Exactly. On her back, eyes closed, face toward the ceiling. Mal sat on the edge of the bed and looked at the young woman for a moment. *Yeah... "Still sleeping." Right. You didn't eat any strange apples, did you Evvy?*

Mal leaned over and gently kissed her lips. As he pulled back, he disturbed whatever careful balance had kept Evelyn's head in position, and her face tilted toward the pillow. A lock of brown hair, shifting with the motion, draped partly over her closed eyes, and Mal gently brushed it back behind Evelyn's ear. He remained there, sitting on the edge of the bed, for another minute, watching her sleep.

Realizing that what Gwen had said was true -- there was nothing he could do for Evelyn during this period, Mal got off the bed. He carefully tucked the blanket above his young lover's shoulders, to ward off the soon-to-come cool evening air, then quietly left the room.

Mal returned to what he thought of as the living part of the house — the part that had the kitchen, dining room, and living room. He went to the kitchen to have a quick lunch — wanting to get back to the fence repair as soon as he could.

As Mal made a hastily slapped-together sandwich, *Gonna have to order more bread and cold cuts soon, there, boyo,* he pondered his situation. The mental and physical activity of the morning had occupied his mind, so this was really his first chance to mull things over.

He took a bite and chewed it, staring at the kitchen wall as he thought. *So... I cheated on my wife. Or not? No... I guess not. It's not like Gwen wasn't aware of it. And, she did say that I was free to, "Take care of my needs elsewhere — discreetly."*

Mal swallowed the bite of sandwich and grabbed a cup from the cupboard. "Damn it. How the hell was that supposed to even happen, Gwen?" Pouring some water from the pitcher in the fridge he took a sip. *You think I can "discreetly" meet some woman and develop a relationship where I'm comfortable with having sex with them — while taking care of our child?*

Mal returned to his sandwich and took another bite, looking out of the kitchen toward the window to the front yard, but not actually seeing anything beyond his mind as he ate. *I'm the one who took her to daycare most mornings, and picked her up in the afternoon. All those nights you worked until the pharmacy closed? What, you thought I'd have time to... I dunno, hit a bar, swipe right on Tumblr, or... no wait. Fumbler? Finder? Whatever the hell it's called. While still being home to feed and bathe Kat, then brush her teeth and read her a story before bedtime? Then you come home at 9:45 or 10pm and she bounces up wide awake. Oh. Tinder.*

*Was I supposed to go out then looking to score some pussy? Difficult for me. Pssh.* "How about, 'fucking impossible,' Gwen," Mal muttered through a mouthful of sandwich.

Badly-faked casual commentary from his Third Thoughts observed, *Well, but now, look, turns out you've managed to score some pussy. A very hot, very tight, very fun young pussy. And, bonus, Mal! You're going to have sex with Gwen again — probably sooner than you think, too! And, Mal, you know that it won't be like before — where you guys have sex once and then it's six months before the next time you stab her with your meat spear.*

The Thought became pointed as it continued, *Oh, and remember, Mal. Even if you're both going to be dealing with a heightened libido, SHE'S only got one source for her satisfaction now.*

Mal hissed in frustration. "*Shut it, brain. Not liking the direction of this topic of conversation. I-" *-love Gwen, prickles and all... Yeah, things'll be a little different for us now, but as difficult as it was for me before, this has got to be...*

Mal put down the remains of his sandwich as realization struck. "Aww, fuckaduck."

Mal's First Thoughts asked,*If Gwen isn't able to resist the libido-strengthening effects of the serum, is she really able to consent to sex? Or is it like when she'd go out with her friends — "You can try and get me into bed when I get home tonight Mal, if you want." Consent given in advance?*

His Second Thoughts followed up almost immediately. *No... I don't think it's exactly the latter. Even if Gwen did consent to sex as a consequence of the vaccine, it's pretty clear she was expecting something... else. Something... controllable. But she's struggling to hold onto her self-control.*

"Shit. Really need to talk to her," Mal groaned.

Not one to be left out of a group discussion, the Third Thoughts chimed in with, *Know what else you need? An extra pair of hands to hold those fence posts plumb while you weld their bases.*

"Fuck me. Yup, that's right. And, I know that Gwen won't be willing to help right now. Gods damn it." Mal finished his sandwich as he considered the situation. "Well, I just need to get some 2x4s and rope. I can brace each post and prop it plumb before I weld. Gonna take longer though. Might not get the repair done today."

Mal looked outside, toward the east. The afternoon clouds were just starting to develop. *Not too bad. Still, better get back to it.*

Mal texted Gwen:

I'm pau eating.

Clear for me to go back to the fence?

Might take me a few minutes - gotta bring

some more supplies up there, since

don't think you're available to give me a

hand.

G: No.

*"No," what? "No, it's not clear," "No, I'm not able to help," come on, Gwen.*

G: Wait a few minutes for me to get her

occupied. I'll text you when it's clear.

"Okay, that's better." Mal gathered some 2x4s and rope and waited for Gwen's text.

G: Okay, we're by the south fence. Kat

is telling me about her plans to build

a fort in the vacant lot - what's that

about?

Moving to the north fence now. Tell you

the other stuff later.

Mal headed off back to the damaged fence location. He spotted Callie, who watched him cross the yard before turning and heading south, probably rejoining Gwen and Kat at the south fenceline.

*****

As Mal expected, he'd managed to straighten and weld the posts into place before the afternoon rain rolled in. He'd had just enough time to hang new fence fabric to replace the damaged, but not enough to stretch it and remove the excess. As he was securing the welder and generator in the garage closet, the first fat raindrops began drumming on the metal roof. Mal let himself into the studio from the garage and then headed into the rest of the house.

Gwen was in the kitchen, and she started when he came through the studio. "Oh! Mal! I thought you'd text before you came in!"

"Aw, shoot. I'm sorry, Gwen, I forgot. Look, I'm all dirty and sweaty, so I gotta go get clean, but I really need to talk to you — I still have some concerns about the vaccine and how it's affecting you."

Gwen was gazing at him, her eyes bright. "Uhhm. Yeah. The vaccine. It's. Not exactly what I thought it would be. You're … going to go shower?"

Mall nodded.

"That's... Good. I'm... getting Kat a snack. I need to... Finish. That. I need to finish that. Kat's in her playroom waiting for me to bring her a snack." Gwen braced one hand on the counter and brought her feet together. Mal saw her thighs and calves stiffen.

"Uh. Okay, then. You do that, and I'll shower, and then we'll talk." Mal backed away and hurried down the hall, noticing that all the doors — normally open — were closed. *Damn it. The way she's acting is kinda freaking me out. That's not the Gwen I'm used to — the slightly frosty, aloof, always-in-control woman who tolerates my hugs and kisses.*

*I know you think it — cause I'm what you use to think it with. If it weren't for Kat, you and Gwen wouldn't still be together — fantasizing and Righty over there can only do so much.* His thoughts paused for a moment, then continued.. *Damn, wasn't fucking Evelyn this morning nice?*

Mal rapped his knuckles sharply against the side of his head, and muttered, "Enough. I don't need any Third Thoughts right now. Keep it down in there and let me work this out."

He grabbed a clean pair of jeans and a fresh shirt as he passed through the master bedroom and hurried into the adjoining bathroom to shower.

-=#=-

Chapter 11

July 12, 2020

Mal finished toweling himself dry and wrapped the towel around his waist. He swiped his hand across the glass of the mirror so he could see his face. *Ah, getting that sweat and dirt off and being clean feels so much better. But...*

"Now I need to talk to Gwen. Crud."

*What the hell am I going to say to her? 'Honey, I don't think you were able to properly consent to the vaccine. And so I don't think you can properly consent to sex because you're being,'... chemically? Vaccines are chemical, right?*

*The fuck you asking me for, Mal? I'm just your brain, I know what you know. I'm just a little smarter. Cause, ya know. I'm a brain. Get it?*

"ANYWAY-" *-how's Gwen going to react if I tell her I think her judgment's compromised? Either really well or really badly.*

*Probably depends on how bad she needs to boink.*

"Shut up."

*What, now you don't like thinking about riding Gwen's Slip-n-Slide? Snaking out her love tunnel? Come on — it's time to clean the cobwebs in Gwen's womb room, Mal!*

Mal pinched the bridge of his nose and tried to ignore himself. "Gods above, I'm cursed with a brain that got stuck in puberty.

"Just gotta talk to her. And hopefully not say anything too moronic." Mal looked his reflection in the eye. "You got this. You love Gwen. Gwen loves you. You both love Kat. We'll figure something out."

Mal dressed and left the bathroom. Kat and Callie were again playing in the former's playroom — well, Kat was playing with an Elsa and Anna playset while Callie tended to her pedicure — the dog was chewing on one of her toe pad tufts.

"Hey, kiddo, how was your day? Sorry I didn't see too much of you — Daddy was really busy fixing the fence."

Kat continued her play, even as she answered, "I know, Daddy. Mommy said we had hadta stay away cause you were welbing. And 'we're not supposed to watch you welb', cause the sparks can hurt our eyes."

Mal chuckled. "Wel-ding, honey. Ding, with a d-sound. And Mommy was absolutely correct. Daddy has to wear that special helmet — the one you asked to wear that time you saw it — the one that makes everything all dark?"

The little girl looked up. "Yeah! I couldn't see anything! How can you do well-ding if you can't see anything, Daddy?"

Mal explained to Kat how a welding helmet was just right for seeing the eye-hurty sparks safely, then spent a few minutes playing with his daughter.

"Okay, kitty-Kat, Daddy's having a lot of fun, but I need to talk to Mommy. Is she in the living room?"

Kat shook her head. "No, she said she needed to lie down. I told her that she could sleep in my bed, or in yours and hers bed, cause you aren't in there snoring, but she said she was going to go back in the cornramteen room. And that you had to make me dinner. I want chili and rice. And broccoli-cauliflower.

"Daddy? Is Mommy sick? Is that why she had to go back in cornramteen?" Kat's little brow furrowed. "Is Auntie Evvy sick? Is that why she's asleeping all day?"

Mal hugged his daughter to reassure her. "No, honey, absolutely not. Mommy's not in 'quar-an-tean' anymore, she's just sleeping in the bed in there. Mommy and Auntie Evvy are totally not sick. But they had to get a shot last night, and that shot makes them kinda tired. That's why Auntie Evvy is sleeping now, but she should be up tomorrow morning. And then it will be Mommy's turn to sleep."

"I don't like those shots. Mommy should just sleep at night. Then she can play with me tomorrow."

Mal squeezed his daughter tightly. "You're right, honey, but Mommy has her plan and her schedule that we're following. Although, I think Mommy is hoping to take her big nap tomorrow evening, so as long as the shot isn't making her too moe moe, maybe she'll still be able to play tomorrow before her nap!" He released her and stood back up. "Okay, sweetie, I'm gonna go talk to Mommy and then I'll see about making dinner."

Leaving Kat's playroom, Mal headed to the studio, but when he tried the door it was locked. He knocked, "Gwen? Honey, I really need to talk to you." His phone immediately chimed with an incoming text.