Quaranteam - AU Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ty just shrugged and squeezed Grace's hand gently. "No comment. Either way, you always had my approval, Grace, and I really do understand where you're coming from with the history thing. As far as Ben Morgan goes, I wish I had the opportunity to get to know the real him. After you told me about it, I wondered whether the him I saw that first day was the real him. Now, I think it might have been, and that it was able to come out because he believed the end of his ordeal was near."

Then he let his demeanour change and looked around the room. "With the family part settled, it's the business part now. A question for my military ladies; how is this situation being handled upstairs?"

Lettie's expression went from exasperation to concern in a heartbeat. "Colonel Anderson is seconds from conducting a witch hunt. He believes someone on the inside gave the Sheikh's people your and Ray's location. I think it's possible, but..."

"Unlikely. Yeah, it wouldn't be hard to just follow one of us home or to work. Hell, a simple RC toy with a camera could do it, but considering the prick has money to burn, they probably used a state-of-the-art drone with GPS and whatnot. Still, if the Colonel wants to vet all of our people, that's on him. But what external response are we taking? These fuckers attacked us, in Ray's home and in a place of healing. They don't get away scot free. And I'm sure the Americans want vengeance for the harm brought to their own."

Grace nodded. "I've heard through the grapevine that some of the upper echelons are considering just going scorched earth. I've heard the phrase 'shove a Hellfire up his ass' more than once."

"That would be a terrible idea. We need a quiet team to go in and dispatch the fucker. If they blow the place sky high, any chance of keeping the whole thing quiet goes up in smoke too. Then people are going to ask why. We can't tell them."

Lottie looked pensive. "Not to mention, any captives he might still have would die with him."

Ty sat up straight. "Captives? What captives?"

Talia jumped in, her face a mix of contrition and disgust. "I'm sorry, we didn't have time to tell you. Dr. Morgan was being coerced. They had his ex-wife and their daughter captive. The wife...was clearly beaten and...Tiberius, the child...they..."

His jaw just fell open. "To a child? Fuck. Off. I thought they had him financially, like Connors..." He took a deep breath, and everyone in the room could see his eyes go cold. "Now I'm doubly sure we need to do it quietly. Get in, kill him and his scumbags and bring any survivors back with us. He needs to die with no fanfare. To be ground into the dust of history without even a footnote. Maybe I should ask if I can go with them."

Grace nodded, gritting her teeth. "It can be a joint op. I'll talk to my higher ups too. He's clearly compromised an individual working for the US Government and endangered their families. I'm actually thinking someone in command might be compromised too, because the more I consider it, the more my partnering with Ben doesn't make sense. I genuinely think it was forced. We can't let that stand, for a lot of reasons."

"Ty. You can't get involved." Lettie's voice cut through the conversation and everyone turned to look at her. "Even if you didn't have a personal stake in this, which immediately makes you ineligible for any mission involving him anyway, you have a job to do. So do it and leave this animal to Colonel Anderson and the Americans."

Ty wanted to glare at her and tell her that wasn't going to happen, but she was right, so he just sighed and leaned back. A nod was the only acknowledgement.

She looked like she wasn't quite convinced, but the conversation was derailed as Zoe checked her phone.

"Lettie, Auntie J should be here really soon, so could you meet her outside and get her to sign all the paperwork and stuff? I think it'll be very important and it would probably be a good thing to have a lawyer around."

The redhead looked like the wind had been taken out of her sails, but she nodded and left the room with her tablet. Zoe watched her leave and then turned her head to face Tiberius.

"I think we're all thinking the same thing, Ty. Lettie's right. You can't be objective here since you were directly involved. I mean, Rayne was also attacked, right? So, don't you think Lettie wants to do the same as you? But she's holding herself back, so you should too."

The big soldier was impressed and he gave the young woman a wide smile. "When did you get so wise, sweetheart?"

"I had to do a lot of growing up this year. I guess it just came naturally." It was clear she was trying to tough it out, but everyone could see her quivering lip.

The smile slipped from Tiberius' face and he stood, walking over to take the young woman in his arms. "You grew up more than you should have had to. You and Liz both." He sighed, looking over towards Liz who stared back, her eyes seemingly filled with a soft light. "The two of you are still at an age where you should be out building your futures and having some fun; all while safe in the knowledge that your families will back you up. Honestly, I'd like nothing more than for the two of you to be able to step back into that life, but our circumstances don't allow for that."

The fire in the young brunette's eyes flared to life and Liz spoke up angrily. "I stepped into this knowing what I was getting into, Tiberius. Just because I don't want to have sex -"

"It has nothing to do with that, Liz. You're barely into your 20s. You've not had the opportunities the rest of us have. Your entire generation is being denied those opportunities because of this pandemic."

"Those of us that live, you mean." Liz's gaze was boring into Tiberius.

Ty paused, closing his eyes and nodding to avoid seeing the pain that was on full display around the room. "Yes. Have you two considered what you're going to do when the pandemic ends? Are you going to finish your studies?"

Zoe shrugged. "A lot of what I was learning was more business management than actual design. I want to spend some time actually making things again, but I will finish my degree, because that will help me when I want to start a business of my own."

Liz seemed more certain. "I intend to finish as soon as I can. We have a lot of roles in the house already filled, so if I can become our financial expert that's one less thing for us to worry about."

Ty let the smile come back as he nodded vehemently. "That's excellent thinking, both of you. I think we'd all appreciate having someone in-house to handle our money. Zoe, when you know what you want to do about that business you mentioned, come let us know. No matter who you end up with, we'll always be family. We'll support you."

Zoe froze, looking for all the world like a lost child as she turned her head up to look at Ty. "What do you mean 'whoever I end up with'? I'm joining your Team, Ty."

It was Ty's turn to look lost. "I was thinking you'd want the opportunity to be with someone closer to your age."

"For someone supposedly smart, you're completely clueless sometimes. Why do you think I want to get my Oracle survey done sooner? It's so I can get matched and prove that I belong here. I've been dreaming about you for a long time, so there's no way I'm going to miss the opportunity to make that dream a reality."

Truth be told, Ty had known that she'd had a crush on him, but he'd thought it was just that; a crush. "And you won't regret this? As you know, you don't get to change your mind unless I make one of these women mad enough to end me."

Talia rolled her eyes. "Get yourself shot again. Then I'll do us all a favour and put you out of our misery."

Everyone laughed, and Zoe nodded. "It's what I've always wanted. I just figured you'd say I was too young, so I never brought it up."

Ty nodded his head at Liz. "My ability to use that as an argument vanished a couple of days ago when I bonded with Liz here. After all, what's two years in the grand scheme of things? You're a legal adult. So, I had to wait and see if you'd bring it up, or if you'd keep us in the roles of extended family. I'd support you either way. Just, no more radio silence, ok? We died a little for every day that we couldn't reach you."

"I'm not leaving. If you want me gone, you'll have to throw me out." There was a finality to the tone and Ty just smiled ruefully.

"Noted. Never going to happen, but noted."

--

The group let the minutes pass, chatting about everything and nothing. Tiberius was sitting beside Béatrice, speaking quietly. He'd realised the woman was restless, and it dawned on him that she must have been injected before she'd learned that he was unconscious. Ty was just promising to take care of it that night when Zoe's phone beeped and she looked at the text.

"Ok, she's signed and they're coming up. Ty, Auntie J has a lot to talk about, so before you get mad at her, could you please listen to everything she has to say?"

Ty couldn't help but frown. "That sounds like you know something."

"Promise me."

He gave the young woman a long look but relented. Zoe's expression was unlike anything he'd ever seen her make. "Fine. I promise. Now answer me. What do you know?"

"I know everything. But I can't talk about it becauseI promised. She'll explain. Just...don't be mad. Auntie J...Juno had her reasons."

"I promised I'd hear her out, Zoe. But I think we have some time. If Lettie is going to read her into the program, she'll take a minute or two to come to terms with everything. So let me ask you a few things." He thought for a minute then asked. "When was the last time you saw Juno or the kids?"

"Oh...maybe early March? Via video call. Before that was just before Christmas."

"So, you've met the kids?"

"Of course? They're adorable!"

Ty took a deep breath. "Last question. What happened to Craig?"

She gave Ty a look that would have said volumes, if only he'd learned to speak Woman. "I'll let her answer that. You should go back to your room and speak to her in private."

Ty nodded, but he didn't quite understand the point. Nevertheless, he moved, returning to his room and sitting on the bed again. He had been trying to ignore the niggling feeling in the pit of his stomach after his exchange with Zoe. Within a few minutes, the door opened again, and Juno Claudius, the woman he hadn't seen in person in over half a decade, stepped through.

"Hi Tiberius. I guess we have a bit to talk about."

"Juno."

Ty looked her over, seeing that time and motherhood had only made her more attractive. She had always been, even though she'd always carried a bit of extra weight. Not fat or obese, just...curvy. Ty thought it suited her. Her walnut brown hair was pulled into a loose bun and she was dressed in a blouse and jeans. Casual. He remembered that it had been the style she preferred. Now though, she seemed to have lost a bit of that weight as her curves seemed to have smoothed out, flowing more naturally. Her hazel eyes were gentle, still carrying a hint of mischief in them. Her face, punctuated by a smallish aquiline nose, gave her the impression of being a little tired, but who could blame a mother of two young kids for that. There was also a certain grace to her movements now, something she must have developed over the last few years, because Ty certainly didn't remember her hips swaying so much before. He shook himself, pulling his thoughts back to her.

"It's been a while, huh." She gave him a smile, having seen where his eyes had wandered.

"Just a bit. You look good. Really good. Motherhood agrees with you, I think."

"Don't lie, Ty. My ass got even bigger after I had the twins."

"Just who told you that you had a big ass to begin with?"

Juno flamed scarlet and clamped her mouth shut. "Never mind that. I heard from Zoe that you got hurt. How bad is it?"

"According to one of my partners, Talia, they didn't hit anything vital." She looked at him, her eyes clearly fixated on his head and he chuckled. "Don't say it, I know."

Juno shrugged and continued. "Yeah. Leticia told me about this whole Quaranteam thing. Naturally, I signed the documents. Didn't figure you'd go for the whole polyamory thing, stud."

"Originally, I don't know that I would have. But I was given some advice that really made it easier for me to accept the whole thing. Plus, it is true that I love them. How about you? I know you've been keeping safe, but how is the family? How's Craig?"

Juno's expression turned sheepish. "The family is fine. Dad and mum hunkered down on the ranch, so they've been ok. Their hands are all being safe, so they've avoided any serious damage. As for Craig...I have a confession to make about him."

Ty tilted his head. "Go on."

"He was never my boyfriend. It was a lie. Mostly so you wouldn't worry." She turned her head away and mumbled, but Ty still heard the words. "And so you wouldn't suspect."

Deciding tact was the order of the moment, he asked. "Worry about what?"

"Me being a single mum. About how I got pregnant."

Ty rolled his eyes. "I rather think I know how that part works, Juno."

Ty could have sworn he heard a snort from outside but ignored it. He'd expected at least some eavesdroppers.

Juno looked exasperated. "No, I don't mea -"

The door slid open a little and Ty's eyes slid towards it, but there was no one there. He had a thought and started to look down, but his brain came to a halt when he heard the little gasp. "Mars! Come look, it's Daddy! He's just like the pictures!"

Ty couldn't move. He couldn't breathe. His eyes locked with the tiny pair in front of him and he knew. Steel grey irises looked back at him, filled with wonder, joined quickly by another pair of identical orbs. All of his muscles went limp, and he slid off the bed, crashing to his knees. Juno just stood there, tears flowing as her children finally, for the first time in their lives, met their father.

"H-How? When? I..." Ty shook his head and focused his attention back on the kids. "Bellona, Mars, hi. I...I'm..."

The two children didn't share Ty's confusion as they ran towards him, stopping just in front of his kneeling form. He finally got to see them and it began to make sense. Six years of care to avoid him seeing them. Bellona's hair was the same walnut brown as her mother's, with the same nose too. Her eyes though, were all his, just like Mars'. But where Bella took after her mother, Mars was a tiny copy of Ty. Though he too had the walnut brown hair, his steel grey eyes and general body shape was identical to how Ty himself had been at that age. He just took them both in, unable to say anything. Why had she kept this from him? Ty couldn't comprehend it.

He realised that he'd been staring at the kids and it was there that they showed the first signs of hesitation as they stared back at the big soldier.

Bella proved to be the courageous one. "You're our Daddy, right?"

Slowly, she gained her confidence, and momentum followed. "Mummy showed us lots of pictures of you, so we knew right away. Are you hurt? Mummy was very sad you couldn't live with us, but she said that you were really, really busy with work. Are you not busy anymore? Will you come live with us now? That would make Mummy really happy, and we wouldn't get lonely anymore!"

Ty's brain finally remembered how to string words together, so he spoke, trying not to let his voice crack with the attempt. "Yes, Bella, I guess I am. I got a little hurt, but I'll be ok. The doctor made me all better. I...I'm so sorry I haven't been there, darling. Like mummy said, I've been so busy. I had no idea you and your brother were lonely. I'll do better, I promise. And if mummy wants that, then maybe we can all live together. That'd be nice."

"Can we hug you? We really wanted to." Bella reached out, her small hands seeming hesitant, almost lost. Mars was slightly hidden behind his sister, but Ty could see that the young boy's, his son's gaze was locked solidly on him and was that...yearning in his eyes?

Ty turned his gaze to meet Juno, who nodded, and he opened his arms, even the one in the sling, as best he could. The children both slammed into him and he squeezed them tight.

Mars' hug was beyond fierce as he threw his arms around Ty's neck. "Dad! I really wanted to see you. Mummy said I was being a good boy by waiting, but it was hard. Uncle Craig said I had to be strong cause I'm the man while you're away."

This time, Ty did choke up. "You did good, kiddo. I'm so proud of you. Thank you for protecting your mum and sister for me."

"Bella did good too, dad. She did chores and ate her vegetables and helped mummy."

"Of course she did, kiddo. She's your sister and I'm very proud of her too."

The pain in his arm and stomach meant nothing right at that moment. This revelation changed everything he knew. He couldn't stop the tears and he could hear the children beginning to sniffle in his embrace. It wasn't long before they were all sobbing, Juno having swept in and wrapped herself around all three of them.

"You've both grown so big and I'm so, so sorry I haven't been there for you, but that's all over. Dad's here now, and he's not going away again." His voice cracked with all of the emotion, and the pure wonder and joy threatened to overwhelm him.

Tiberius had no idea how long they sat there, huddled together, but eventually, the children's sobs quietened, their breathing evened out. They had exhausted themselves and fallen asleep. He and Juno now sat on the bed, Ty cradling both children in his lap. He was still searching for the right words when Juno started speaking.

"I'm so sorry I never told you. I was just so afraid."

Not knowing how to respond to that without anger clouding his words, Ty just segued. "They know me, huh? Just like the 'pictures'."

Juno couldn't help the small smile. "Photos and videos of you. Courtesy of Zoe and Mattie. The kids have always known you were their father. That's part of what made it so much harder to let you meet them."

Ty felt the sting of it, even though it wasn't intended. "When, Juno? I don't remember us ever..."

"At Toby and Mattie's. New Years. How much of that night do you remember?"

Ty's mind tried to go back to that night and he realised that he really didn't remember much of it, at least after a certain point. They'd been drinking, that was a given. Juno had been matching him drink for drink, and they'd both been pretty drunk. Toby was a lightweight, down by 10PM, and just cruising with his buzz. Mattie was a fish. She'd drunk more than either Ty or Juno and was still going strong. But it was after Mattie had pulled out a bottle of tequila that things really got blurry.

"Christ, how much of that tequila did we drink? The last thing I remember was Mattie slamming the bottle onto the table and then I woke up naked in the guest room."

Juno giggled. "Mattie had two shots for each one we did. I stopped at two. You did five. I think Mattie was taking Toby upstairs because she was half asleep by that point, and we were in no condition to go back home, so I think we both staggered into the guest room downstairs and crashed."

"If that's the case, then how did we end up...?"

Juno's voice dropped to just above a whisper. "I woke up naked and horny. I'd always been attracted to you, though I never believed you'd go for someone like me. I guess I was still drunk enough at the time to think that I'd have a chance." She shrugged, looking a little wistful. "But despite still being drunk, I remember this clearly. I kissed you, and you turned and latched onto me and kissed back. I thought at first you were asleep and just responding, but you looked me in the eyes and said my name. After that, I guess I...we got really into it."