Queen's disGrace Bk. 01 Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Lorenzo DoCasta has approached me with an offer of an alliance against the city of Tinnis." Marguerite perked up a bit at the change of conversation, eager to get away from talking about confessing her sins. "A joint strike against the heathens to free any Faithful they've taken as slaves and disrupt their ability to take more in the future."

Richaud's face brightened gleefully at the prospect. "That would be a wonderful tribute to the One God! Surely he would bless your reign for dealing a crippling blow against the fiends who prey upon his people."

"There is one small problem that I hoped you would be able to assist me with." Marguerite smiled at the Archbishop. "The recent tensions with King Victor; I am wary of sending my forces away from home with the risk of invasion so near."

The Archbishop returned her smile with a canny one. "I believe, in light of your commissioning of the grand cathedral and alliance with Floreze, that the Patriarch could be persuaded to issue an encyclical forbidding conflict between Faithful Kingdoms while one is engaged in a holy campaign against the heathens."

"That would be very reassuring, Most Reverend. I would have no reservations about embarking on this campaign with that assurance from the Patriarch." Marguerite nodded gratefully.

"If I might suggest, you should request that Master DoCasta also petition the Patriarch for this encyclical. If both religious and secular authorities are in favor, it will be addressed much more quickly, especially if one of those authorities is the DoCasta Bank."

"An excellent idea, Archbishop." Marguerite kissed the ring on Richaud's finger. "Thank you for your endeavors on my behalf."

"Anything for such a stalwart ally of the Faith, Your Majesty. And please, consider my words, and look inside yourself. If you have something you wish to confess, I am always ready to listen."

"I will, Most Reverend." It couldn't possibly be the Archbishop, could it?

****

Jacqueline and Stephan returned to the castle arm-in-arm, chatting aimlessly about mundane topics. "I must say, Lady Jacqueline, that dress is especially becoming on you. You look very beautiful." Stephan smiled at Jacqueline as they walked, and he held her closer to his body.

"Thank you, Lord Stephan, that is most kind." Jacqueline preened a little as she looked down at the Queen's fine dress she found herself in. "I hope you'll forgive me for agreeing, but I do look nice, don't I?"

"Indeed, and is that the Queen's necklace you're wearing?"

"Yes, Marguerite allowed me to borrow it for today since she had her new necklace on." She idly toyed with the silver strands as she looked up at the taller and muscular Stephan.

"Yes, where did she get that beautiful piece? It was lovely, but it looked incredibly expensive, and between you and me, I didn't think the Crown could afford the expense." Stephan watched Jacqueline with interest, curious as to how she would answer the question.

"Oh, yes, it was..." Jacqueline stammered as she struggled with how much to tell him, "...a gift from Lorenzo DoCasta, erm, on behalf of the City of Floreze." Jacqueline looked away from the Queen's cousin, uncomfortable at mixing the truth and lie with him.

Stephan blinked, unsure what to make of Jacqueline's behavior or the explanation of the necklace. "That was extremely generous of them, especially considering the service their Bank is already providing." They walked quietly together until the silence became awkward, and Stephan had to break it. "You don't suppose that banker has 'designs' on Marguerite, do you?"

Jacqueline worried her fingers for a moment as she thought about it. "I don't know. Maybe. I don't really trust him, but he can't make Marguerite do anything she doesn't want to, right?" She asked, looking for reassurance.

"Well, of course, he couldn't, but," Stephan vacillated on how to continue, "a persuasive man could convince her that she does want to do something that she shouldn't." The Lord looked down at Jacqueline. "That is why you have to be careful, Lady Jacqueline. Men have a way of leading women towards things, things that are not appropriate outside of marriage." Stephan flushed a little, "I don't even know why I am saying this; surely your mother and father had this talk before coming to Court?"

Jacqueline looked gravely at Stephan for a moment before cracking a smile and beginning to laugh. "I did get a warning, yes, though Marguerite runs a 'clean' Court." More or less, the Queen gets up to things, but she doesn't allow the same for her Courtiers. Well, outside of clubs. Wait, maybe Court isn't as clean as I thought? I guess I took it for granted that a Lady-In-Waiting would help relieve her Queen. Maybe that's not normal? Breaking herself from the reverie, Jacqueline's gay mood diminished. "But I do appreciate your chivalry, Lord Stephan. Thank you for seeking to protect my virtue." If only he knew...

"Of course, My Lady." Stephan smiled awkwardly at her as they entered the palace.

"You may call me Jacqueline, My Lord."

"Then you must call me Stephan." The Queen's cousin countered.

"But you're royalty! I couldn't!"

"If I'm royalty, then you can when I say you can, Jacqueline." Stephan smiled at her. "At least when we're alone."

"Alright, Stephan." Now that they were safely ensconced within the palace walls, Jacqueline brought up the proposed campaign against Tinnis. After explaining the details as best she could, Jacqueline admitted that she wasn't sure how the war would be conducted. "I have to confess; I have some reservations. Can we really take Tinnis quickly enough to be here to face the Hoehns, and have enough men left over to form an army?"

"Well, this certainly explains the necklace, Jacqueline. If LaRend is going to have an alliance with Floreze he'll want to bind it, especially since we'll be providing the army. Let's go to the map room and talk about it."

Stephan led Jacqueline through the palace halls until they found the conference room they had used the day before. This time he pulled out a larger map, which showed more of the known world, most importantly, the surrounding Kingdoms.

"LaRend is here, and to the north and east of us are the Hoehns. A little southeast, we have Floreze, Amor, where the Patriarch sits, and the other city-states. To the southwest, we have Morena, and to the southeast, we have the Sea of Sedona." Stephan pointed out the various places on the map, then brought his finger to the southeast of LaRend. "This is the port of LaHavra, where any attack against Tinnis would have to come from."

"I've been there! The climate is lovely, and it has the most wonderful emporium." Jacqueline smiled happily at the memory.

"Yes, it is the main entry point for goods being shipped into LaRend from the Sea of Sedona. Controlling it has made Lord Henri a very wealthy man," Stephan sighed. "Unfortunately, the Count is one of the Duke of Buiscard's associates. He won't be able to deny us access to the port for the attack, but he can slow us down and make it difficult and expensive to supply the army."

Maybe that's something I can bring up tomorrow when I go to the Duke of Buiscard's party. "I may be able to help with that." When Stephan looked at her questioningly, she shook her head, "Please don't ask anymore, Stephan, but assume for the moment that we'll have Lord Henri's support."

"If you say so, Jacqueline. The Count being with us will simplify but not really change anything. It will take about a month to gather the Crown's forces at LaHavra. The Queen's soldiers alone should be enough if we're lucky and use subterfuge. We'll probably need more, though; not the full levy, but some supplementary forces at least."

"Are there any vassals you think we should approach first?"

Stephan hesitated, "Perhaps we should wait for Marguerite to return first. These are decisions she should make, and it would be better to go over this together."

"That isn't necessary, Stephan." Jacqueline pulled out the signet ring Marguerite had given her yesterday, and she hadn't yet returned. I knew this was going to come up. Excitement welled within her at the thought of wielding the Queen's power. However, unlike the finance minister, she didn't want to put Stephan in his place, so she used a gentler tone. "I didn't want to say anything yesterday, but Marguerite has given me the full authority on this matter." Jacqueline smiled as she showed him the ring. "You can speak to me as if I am the Queen."

Stephan frowned and considered it before smiling. "Yes, Your Majesty," he joked, but it sent a thrill of pleasure through Jacqueline nonetheless. "There are a few Lords with sizable levies that are friendly towards the Crown: Ambree, Loreau, or Foire, for example. Then there are some neutral ones who could be persuaded, like Rieaux or Thiems."

Thiems? I wonder if I could enlist the Duchess to assist me in persuading her husband. "Thank you, Stephan, that is most helpful. What about the campaign itself? How would you conduct it?" Jacqueline inched closer to him, brushing against his body as she looked over the map. The touch electrified her, and she flushed in pleasure at the nearness of their bodies.

"Tinnis is across the Sea of Sedona, here. After we load up on the Floreze ships, it will take a week of sailing to make it to the heathen city. If we simply disembark our army and set up a siege, it could take a year or more for it to surrender."

"Because they can resupply by ship?"

"That's a good point, but no. Our fleet should be able to set up a blockade; our ships are slower than the fast sloops the heathens use but are stronger in a battle. Fortunately, their advantage in speed is mitigated when trying to enter or exit a fixed point like a harbor. They won't be able to dislodge us because their ships cannot fight our own in a pitched battle."

"Ah, I see," Jacqueline said while studying the map carefully.

"Tinnis is a trade city, but that means it can afford strong walls. We can cut it off, but if they manage to secure the city, they'll have plenty of food to survive a siege, and the longer it goes on, the worse it is for us."

"Right, because it gives the Hoehns time to consolidate and move against us" Jacqueline nodded in understanding.

"Yes, but also because it will give the other heathen city-states around Tinnis time to come to their aid. We need to strike quickly before that can happen." Stephan pointed out the other cities along the coast near Tinnis.

"So how do we take the city swiftly? What sort of subterfuge did you have in mind?" Jacqueline asked curiously.

Stephan looked both ways and shifted uncomfortably before leaning in close to her. "I need you to go undercover in Tinnis as a slave!"

Jacqueline looked aghast, but after a moment, she nudged him. "I think you're having fun with me!"

Stephan broke into a grin and chuckled, "Yes, but you should have seen the look on your face."

"Be serious, Stephan; what will we do?"

"Part of it will be luck, but then, all warfare is. I think we should disguise the Floreze ships as trade galleys, except instead of cargo the holds will be full of soldiers. We trade at a few cities on the way to Tinnis to alert them to our presence, then when their pirates try to capture us, we turn the tables and seize their ships. Once they are in hand, we use them to escort our fleet to the city as if it was captured, and once in the port, we assault the city from the inside."

"That sounds reasonable, even if it does rely on the heathens learning about and attacking the convoy. But if it works and our men make it into the city, what do they do next?"

"Do you really want a lesson in warfare, Jacqueline?" Stephan asked in surprise.

"Yes, please! I'd love to learn about it." She squeezed his arm gently. "Teach me, please?"

"Of course, Your Majesty," he said, smiling as Jacqueline kissed him on the cheek and began the lesson.

****

Marguerite paced impatiently by the wardrobe in her private chambers. Jacqueline had not returned yet to assist her in changing out of the drab brown dress she had worn to the church service. Prince Gailen was due to arrive soon, and she wanted something more splendorous and regal to greet him in. Where could Jacqueline and Stephan have gotten off to, she wondered. It isn't like her to be late or miss her duties.

I don't know what Gailen is going to propose this time, but I want to look every bit the Queen when I deal with him; I need every advantage I can get. Marguerite opened the wardrobe for the fifth time and rifled through her gowns. There was a lovely gold brocade she wanted to wear, and she debated whether she should try and dress herself. In the end, common sense won out. I'll never be able to get the sleeves right, she realized, and it's better to look plain than sloppy. Maybe there is some way to use that to my advantage?

The Queen pushed away another pang of annoyance at Jacqueline's disappearance. She does a lot for me. Now more than ever, I should forgive her for taking time for herself. If she is sweet on Stephan, she'll want to enjoy their time together while they can. Marguerite sighed as that brought on a whole new set of considerations.

Does he return her feelings? What if they want to get married? Obviously that would be a great match for Jacqueline, but Stephan would be marrying far below him, and not solely in terms of rank but also station. Jacqueline's father wasn't particularly wealthy or influential. Having his daughter selected as a companion for her when she was a child was a matter of fortune; he happened to be in Parce with a daughter the right age. That she and Jacqueline got along famously wasn't something he could have predicted.

An affectionate smile crossed her lips as she thought of her friendship with Jacqueline. She had indeed gone above and beyond the requirements of a friend or a Lady-In-Waiting. Between seeing to her 'relief' and now acquainting herself with the Duke and his compatriots... I'll need to find some suitable way to reward her. Could I really let Stephan marry her, though? I suppose I could raise her rank, which would take care of the rank issue, but it wouldn't bring any valuable alliances.

In the back of her mind, the cynical part of her brain suggested this would be a good thing. Marrying Stephan to someone loyal but not powerful would lessen the threat he could pose to her reign as her natural successor, at least until she married and had children. I shouldn't think like that. Stephan has been nothing but loyal my entire reign, despite what his father did.

Marguerite's ruminations were interrupted by the announcement of Prince Gailen. Leaving her private chambers, she entered the solar to receive her guest. Gailen entered and bowed in greeting to the Queen.

Good morning, Your Majesty. You're looking," Gailen looked Marguerite over insolently, "pious today. I hope the service this morning was spiritually fulfilling for you."

"You would know if you had attended, Prince Gailen." Marguerite's lips curled upwards. "The One God sees you even if you do not enter his house, you know, perhaps even more so."

Gailen scoffed but then corrected himself. "No doubt that is true. Still, I felt that the announcement of your new Cathedral was something for the people of LaRend to enjoy," Gailen said, before continuing with an ironic smile, "and not something for the Hoehns to celebrate."

"Anything that glorifies the One God is something all the Faithful should celebrate."

Now a chuckle erupted from the Prince's lips. "You're beginning to sound like the religious sister you're dressed as, Your Majesty." Gailen raised his hand apologetically, "A compliment, of course. Women who dedicate their lives and chastity to the One God are much to be admired."

Marguerite flushed at the quip. If only he knew, or does he? Marguerite suppressed a sigh. This is getting tiring. "Do not fret, Prince Gailen. I understood your meaning exactly." She let that hang in the air until Gailen responded.

"How much have you spent so far on this Cathedral anyway? I'm curious to know if what you're getting in return for this investment is anywhere in proportion to what you're paying." Prince Gailen smirked and crossed the room, moving closer to the Queen.

"Come now, Prince Gailen, you don't really expect me to answer that, do you? Any more than I'd expect you to tell me how many soldiers you have ready to invade the Freighen Lands at the moment?" Marguerite leaned forward, placing her hands on the back of her chair as she returned the Prince's grin.

"I'd be happy to tell you." Gailen continued to advance, right up to the Queen's chair, until Marguerite was forced to sit up straight. "Right now, we have ten thousand of our best soldiers on the border, standing by for orders to seize the Freighen Lands and unite the last of our people under one banner."

"Hah! And do you expect me to take that number at face value? Ten thousand! You might have tried a more reasonable number, Prince Gailen." Marguerite smirked triumphantly back at him. "You can't have more than fifteen thousand men total, most of which are levies that need to return home for harvest. The rest are needed to consolidate and garrison your new holdings."

Gailen burst into laughter. "Very good, Your Majesty. You're right, of course. Many of our soldiers have returned home to assist with the harvest. But we haven't as many garrisons as you think; we don't need them. My brother's subjects are jubilant to be united under one Crown. They have long desired the fractious, petty Princedoms and Duchies to be ruled by a single King."

"How convenient that it's your brother the Hoehns have rallied around," Marguerite quipped.

"Not convenient. It's not some mere accident; it is design. My brother is the one who saw this hunger in our people, and he is the one who forged his Crown on the battlefield. Only the Freighen Lands remain, and my brother and I will see this through to completion. In months we can have our total force together and ready to invade, twice the number of men you can rally. Are you really going to imperil your people, your Crown, for a land not even your own?"

He seems more sincere this time, Marguerite observed. Could he mobilize their army in just a few months? "The Freighen Lands belong to the Church, and I stand ready to defend the Faith." Marguerite swept her hands out and gestured to her sides. "I am a pious Queen, as you say. I was anointed by the One God to be a steward of these lands and to defend the Faithful and the Church." The Queen looked Gailen in the eyes and wondered whether he would burst out laughing at her claim. He might if he is the blackmailer. But Gailen betrayed nothing, except perhaps a slight look in the eyes, as if wondering whether she was genuinely faithful or if it was all artifice.

"How commendable, and I suppose you think a new Cathedral will convince the Patriarch that it should be your Bishops that run those lands," Gailen sneered. "Doesn't it outrage your pious sensibilities to know that our Patriarch can be swayed through money, lands, and other material affairs?"

Yes. "No, of course not. The Church is the One God's representation on earth. Their wealth is a manifestation of the Faithful's reverence and a glorification of Him."

Gailen scoffed. "Perhaps my brother should construct two Cathedrals then." The Prince shook his head, then stood up a bit straighter. "But there is a less expensive way to settle this issue, both in blood and treasure."

"Is there? I'd be delighted to hear it." What is he up to now?

"Marriage. To me." Gailen grinned ferally.