Quilting 101

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, yes. Nick really is a fast learner," Tiffany told her with a small, forced smile.

"He's really enjoyed getting to know you," Kathy said as she began probing.

"I...I'm glad," Tiffany told her as she continued setting up a new display area.

Kathy sighed and said to herself, "Okay, Ms. Buttinski, here goes nothing."

"Tiffany? I talked with Nick last night and he mentioned something about what a good time he had visiting with you and Ella."

"Oh?" Tiffany said in reply.

"Yes. He surprised me when he told me he thought you were a very special person."

Tiffany finally glanced at Kathy but only for a second before she looked away.

"Well, I think Nick is very nice, too."

"I uh, I kind of got the impression it was more than that," Kathy said as she watched the younger woman's facial expression.

"I'm not sure why he feels that way," Tiffany said.

"I don't know. I only know that Nick hasn't even hinted about something like that before."

Tiffany didn't say anything so Kathy said, "Maybe I'm reading it all wrong."

"Whatever Nick may be thinking or feeling, it doesn't change the fact than I'm 35 years old," Tiffany said, still not looking at Kathy.

"It's funny, but he said something about how your age didn't bother him at all. But as they say, it takes two to tango, right?"

Kathy said that very lightheartedly as she sensed she was on the verge of crossing a line.

"Maybe he says that now, but he wouldn't be saying that ten or fifteen years later when I'm 45 or 50."

Kathy knew she should be quiet but told herself, "In for a penny, in for a pound."

"Or he might think the woman he loves and grows older with is beautiful every day of her life."

Tiffany stopped moving and stood there very still without saying a word.

Kathy walked up from behind and said, "Love is never simple or easy. Movies and romance novels make it seem that way, but it's a lot of hard work and dedication. In my humble opinion, it's mostly commitment. Two people who are committed to one another can make it no matter what they face."

Tiffany still hadn't spoken or moved so Kathy moved to her right side and saw a tear running down her cheek.

"Hey. It's all right," she said supportively as she gently touched Tiffany's arm.

"I have a daughter to think about, Kathy. I don't want to get hurt, but I cannot let that happen to Ella."

"I know. And I agree completely," she said.

Tiffany finally looked at her and said, "I do like Nick. A lot. But he's not even out of college and I'm...."

"You're beautiful, honey," Kathy told her truthfully. "And I've butted in enough for one day."

She squeezed Tiffany's arm then went to leave as Tiffany said, "Wouldn't you...hate me if I...if Nick and I...."

Kathy stopped and moved even closer and said, "What? No. Absolutely not. Do I think the age difference is significant? Of course. Do I think it should keep two people who might be happy with one another apart? Definitely not. If you don't like Nick for Nick, that's one thing. But if age is the only issue or concern, don't you at least owe it to yourself to find out?"

Tiffany grabbed a tissue from her pocket and dried her eyes then said, "He hasn't even told me he wants to see me again, so I guess it's a moot point."

Kathy leaned around and looked at Tiffany then said, "He'll let you know."

"You think so?" she asked.

"I do. But can you do me a favor?"

"Of course," she said, finally trying to smile.

"Please don't tell him I talked to you about this?"

Tiffany came close to laughing and promised she wouldn't.

"So we're okay?" Kathy asked.

"Yes. Of course. I thought you were bringing this up to warn me to stay away from your son."

"If you were anyone else...maybe," Kathy said with a warm, friendly smile. "But you're like the daughter I never had."

"Kathy, I'm 35, not 25," Tiffany said.

"Oh, right. Okay, how about younger sister?"

Tiffany made a face and Kathy laughed.

"How about...very good friend?"

Tiffany managed to smile then reached out for a hug.

"Don't worry. Your secret's safe with me," Tiffany told her as they hugged for several seconds.

Kathy pulled back and saw tears in Tiffany's eyes again.

"And...thank you, Kathy," she told her. "This has been killing me since Nick came over, and I've been so confused I can't sleep or think straight."

"Well, maybe you should let someone know how you feel," Kathy said, feeling like her butting in had just paid off rather nicely.

Tiffany smiled then said, "Maybe you're right. Maybe I should."

"Nick would appreciate that," Kathy said as they pulled apart.

"You're the best, Kathy," Tiffany told her.

Kathy managed not to laugh at the irony of hearing that from Tiffany so soon after Nick said it to her.

"No, I just love my son," she said.

Then she smiled and said, "And my friends."

Tiffany spent the rest of the day alternating between feelings of excitement and nervous apprehension. At four o'clock, she didn't close the shop. Instead, she called her older sister who watched Ella after school and asked if she could keep until six or so.

"Yeah, sure. Is everything okay?"

"Yes. It's just that I have that sewing class I told you about, and...."

"Oh! The one with the really cute guy?" her sister said, cutting her off.

"Well, yes. That would be him," Tiffany said.

"So is there going to some kissy-poo going on?" her sister, Grace, teased.

"Stop! What are you? Ten?"

"No, but I hear he is," she said as she continued rubbing it in.

"Okay, look. It's just too hard to close up, get Ella, come back and open up again, and then...."

Grace started moaning as though she was making love knowing it would drive her younger, shier sister crazy.

"That's enough, Grace," she said as her sister said, "Oh, yeah. Just like that, baby. And when I say 'baby' I mean...."

"Okay! Stop!" Tiffany yelled.

Grace stopped and said, "I'm just having some fun with you, Tiff. Geez. Lighten up already, would ya?"

"You know I don't like stuff like that."

"Like...sex?" Grace teased.

Grace knew her sister liked sex as much as she did, and she really enjoyed it. Tiffany was just painfully shy, and it had amazed her, and everyone they knew, when she'd announced that she was engaged. And it had been equally terrible when she'd called, crying unconsolably, and told Grace that he'd been diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer.

Grace wondered if her sister would ever find someone else, and after all this time, they'd pretty much given up hope. So if she really liked this cute, younger guy, it was fine with her.

"I'm just bustin' your balls, Tiff," Grace said.

"Um, that's kind of impossible," Tiffany said.

"It's metaphorical. Jesus, Sis!"

"Sorry. I'm just a little touchy about all that."

"And about Nick?"

"He doesn't even know I like him, and I'm so torn about even telling him, you know?"

"Why didn't you say something yesterday when I asked what was bothering you?" Grace asked.

"Because I was so...confused. He's...he's 22, Grace!"

"And almost a college graduate with a very marketable degree. And according to you, 'extremely handsome', right? And he likes Ella, so...what's not to like?"

"Well, yes. That part's true," Tiffany admitted.

"Okay. So what's the problem?"

"Oh, my gosh! Did you not hear me say he's 22?" she said, the exasperation rising in her voice.

"No one goes to jail for fuck...having sex...with someone who's over 21, Tiff."

"I'm just such a mess, Grace! What should I do?"

"If this was me, I'd tell him, 'I want to f...screw your brains out.' You, however, might want to tell him you had a really wonderful time when he came over. Then explain why you were such a bitch last night and...."

"I was not a b...that word. I was...confused."

"Look. You hate dating. You can't stand the whole 'let's get acquainted thing'. Here's a guy you already know. A guy you like. A guy who seems to like you...for reasons I can't understand but...."

"Grace! Be serious already!" Tiffany said.

"So just let him know. Be subtle if that's your thing, but tell him. If he doesn't like you, don't go getting all butt hurt. Just accept it. And who knows? Maybe you'll wind up in bed getting...happy tonight!"

"Tonight? Oh, my goodness! You are...incorrigible!"

"Oh, well thank you for the compliment," her sister said. "And I really hope this works out for you. Just remember, you're not getting married just because you go out with him. So if he's interested...go out with him. Have some fun. Enjoy yourself. And I'll be happy to keep this sweet baby girl as often as you need me to so you can get to know him, okay?"

Feeling better, Tiffany thanked her sister and told her, "I really do love you, Grace."

"You should. I mean, I am all that and a bag of chips, right?"

Tiffany laughed a nervous laugh then said, "Yes you are."

"And don't you forget it! And don't forget to have some fun. Fun is allowed, okay?"

"Okay. I'll...try," Tiffany said quietly.

"Good luck, little sis," Grace told her. "And no hurry on getting here."

"Thank you," Tiffany said again.

"Yep. Bye. And HAVE FUN!" Grace said before ending the call.

"That's easy for you to say," Tiffany said quietly to a dead phone.

It was 4:20 when she went to the restroom to touch up her mascara then decided to put on some lipstick even though she never wore it at work.

Tiffany was a nervous wreck when she saw Nick pull up to the shop. It was understandable because she rarely dated and had never really even liked anyone since losing her husband. But it was also borderline ridiculous because he was just a guy. And a very young one at that. So why then was her heart racing when she saw him walking up the sidewalk?

She met him at the door and as soon as he walked in said, "Hi, Nick!"

Nick just stood there, the open door still in his hand.

"Come on in!" Tiffany said cheerfully.

"You look...great," he told her as he tried to figure out what was different.

"Thank you," she said with a smile. "I didn't go get Ella so we won't lose any time tonight."

"Oh. Okay. I guess I was wondering how you got back here so quickly."

"My sister is keeping her for me," Tiffany said as she led him to the classroom.

"I guess it's just you and me this time," she said once they got inside. "You ready to get started?"

She desperately wanted to tell him how she felt, but she was just too shy to say anything. However, she could smile and be friendly and hope he'd see the difference. And if the opportunity presented itself, she just might be able to say something to let him know.

"Um, sure," Nick told her.

He took a seat and Tiffany sat down next to him and said, "Okay, we'll go over each stitch and if you ace my little pop quiz, we'll move on. So how about we start with the...."

"Wait," Nick said, interrupting her but not rudely.

"Oh, sure. Did you have a question?" she asked cheerfully.

"No. No question," he told her. "I just wanted to say something."

"About?" she asked in her typically sweet way.

"About yesterday. No. About the day before. Or maybe both of them, and why things changed so fast. How did they go from so good to...terrible? I know you said I didn't offend you or upset you, but you were very clearly...different."

He stood up, walked toward her, then asked, "Tiffany? Please tell me what I did wrong."

Tiffany summoned up all the courage she had then said, "You...you got inside, Nick."

"I did what?" Nick asked, having no idea what she meant.

"I...I let you get inside. Here," Tiffany told him as she placed her hand over her heart. "And I never let anyone inside there. Ever."

"I don't understand," he said. "If that's true, why were you so...so cold...toward me yesterday?"

Tiffany saw the pained expression on his face, and it made her feel terrible—and look away. She knew she had to find the courage to say something, but it was all she could do just to look at him.

When she did, Nick said, "I...I really like you, Tiffany. I can't remember ever feeling like this about someone before. I know it was just a few hours at your house, but I can't stop thinking about you."

Tiffany was still unable to speak as she sat there listening to this handsome, younger man pour his heart out to her.

"I really thought you enjoyed that as much as I did. Yes, I know the age difference is a potential issue, but that doesn't make me want to get to know you any less. It just means...well, it means there's a difference in our ages. But I like you, and I really like Ella, too. And, well, I was hoping maybe we could...."

Tiffany's heart was singing and although she didn't want them to, her eyes were filling with tears as he spoke. Out of somewhere deep inside her, words came out. Words she'd been dying to say but until then, couldn't.

"I like you, too, Nick. I really, really like you, and when I realized I do, it scared me. It scared me because I've never felt like this before except about my husband."

She blinked several times and tried to dab her eyes with the sleeve of her shirt as she continued.

"I also have a daughter I love more than anything on earth. Letting someone...."

She put both hands over her heart this time then said, "In here opens her—and me—up to being hurt, and I'm so shy that I just don't let people in. Especially not men. And most definitely not a man who's so much younger than me."

Nick went to respond, but Tiffany needed to finish. She knew if she stopped before she was done, she might never get it all out.

"But you got inside, Nick. When you did, I got scared because it happened so fast. I think yesterday was my way of trying to keep you at arm's length. You know, to avoid the possibility of getting hurt. But after talking this out with my sister and your...with someone else, I understand that trying to keep you out would be more painful than letting you in."

Nick waited to see if she had more to say, and after several seconds of silence said, "Tiffany, your shyness is a big part of your charm. Yes, you're a very pretty woman, and yes, I find you very attractive. But attractive women are everywhere, and yet you're the only woman who's ever...stopped me in my tracks. This has never happened to me before. Ever. And it's really thrown me for a loop, too."

He turned his chair 90 degrees to face her then said, "All I know is I very much want the opportunity to get to know you better. I want to spend time with you, Tiffany. I want to do things with you—and Ella. I know that entails some risk; a risk of getting hurt, but please know I will never, ever intentionally hurt you."

She didn't reply, but her eyes were locked with his, and she was taking in every word he spoke.

Her hands were in her lap, and Nick slowly reached over and gently took one of them in his then smiled at her. He waited until she finally smiled back then asked her a question.

"So would you please allow me to get to know you better?" he asked quietly, sincerely, and with a warm smile.

Tiffany felt her eyes filling with tears again, but this time she stopped it after a single tear fell from each eye.

"Yes. I'd like that very much, Nick," she managed to say.

Nick smiled happily at her then began leaning her way. He stopped a few inches from her soft, full lips then said, "I've never kissed a mother before."

He wasn't sure what to make of her reaction. It was a playful comment, but her cheeks turned beet red and she looked away leaving him to think he have just hurt her feelings.

"I...didn't mean to...I hope I didn't...."

Tiffany turned back toward him, red faced and smiling then told him, "This mother would very much like you to kiss her."

Nick didn't care about the blushing. It was a part of her shyness, and her shyness really was an attraction to him. He'd been with many beautiful, confident women who'd done nothing but get his motor running. But Tiffany was the first woman who'd ever touched his heart.

As he went to kiss her, he placed her hand on his chest and whispered, "You got inside, too."

He saw her eyes close as their lips touched, and for several wonderful seconds, they shared a first kiss they would never forget. It was deep and passionate but not lurid. It was warm and sensual and...delicious but not salacious.

As he slowly pulled away, Nick saw Tiffany's eyes open and meet his as she smiled and told him how nice that was.

Nick couldn't remember ever kissing a woman like that before. Except for his first-ever kisses, those that had come since his senior year and beyond had only had one purpose. They were precursors to sex. But this kiss was...sweet, and it had real meaning.

"Yes. It was nice," he told her as he reached up and gently pushed back her long, blonde hair.

The color was draining from Tiffany's cheeks, and she was smiling happily at him.

"You know what I want to do now?" Nick asked.

Tiffany's eyes opened wide as she immediately assumed he meant sex, but he gently shook his head and told her that wasn't it.

"No, not that," he said very quietly.

He took both hands and helped her stand up then said, "I want to hold you more than I wanted to kiss you, and I very much wanted to kiss you."

Tiffany's heart had been racing, but Nick's words made if feel like it might blow up in her chest as he pulled her close and put his arms around her. She slid hers around his neck and hugged him back as he held her.

The kiss really had been amazing, but this first hug became a kind of 'glue' that bonded them together. They stood there all alone in this small room of the fabric shop and held one another for two or three minutes. There was no talking; not a single word. There was no more kissing or anything else other than a gentle hand run up and down the other person's back as they stood cheek to cheek.

Tiffany knew it had to end, but when Nick finally began letting her go, it made her feel like she might never be held again. But what Nick told her before letting her go told her that wasn't true.

"That was the most amazing, romantic thing I've ever experienced," he told her as they looked into one another's eyes.

"I agree," she said very sweetly as she also smiled back at him.

Feeling bold, Tiffany said, "I...I like hugging you."

"I'm glad," Nick told her. "Because I plan to hug you a lot."

Tiffany smiled happily and said, "Promise?"

He put his nose on hers then said, "I promise."

As he moved away, Tiffany felt like she could say something else without blushing and did so.

"I...I also really like kissing you."

Nick smiled then said, "See? We already have two things in common."

Tiffany would have laughed at almost anything he said, and the laughter came out like a wave of pent-up relief knowing that Nick felt the same way about her as she did about him.

He kissed her softly one more time and warned her he planned to do that a lot, too. Tiffany again made him promise, and Nick crossed his heart as he did.

He finally let her go, and Tiffany cleared her throat then said, "Well, I'm not sure I can even concentrate now, but I guess we should get back to our lesson."

Nick held her hand as she sat back down, then as he also sat told her, "Any time you feel distracted, feel free to kiss me, okay?"

Tiffany's cheeks turned red again, but not like before.

Her sweet smile warmed Nick's heart, and her quiet response of, "Okay", touched him deeply.

The time flew as they went back over each stitch then moved on to sewing a hem for the first time, and before they knew it, their time was up.

As they were putting things away, Tiffany said, "I have a new box of spaghetti noodles if you'd be willing to give me another chance to make dinner for you."

Nick laughed politely then said, "Okay, but only if you promise to wear a bicycle helmet in the kitchen."