Rag Doll Ch. 07 - Ricky's Family 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Yasmin stared at me, fingering the cane absently, before handing it back to her mother.

"If you were going to hurt us you would have by now, so I guess we can trust you..." she murmured, her lips quirking in a fleeting smile. "Sit, Shari can be a bit full-on when she gets wound-up, but no-one's going to hurt you. Have you eaten anything today?"

I shook my head; other than a railway station buffet doughnut at Carlisle station when I first set out, all I could afford, I hadn't eaten anything in two days, and now that she'd reminded me, I realised just how hungry I was. I couldn't stay and eat their food, though; Shereen would be back soon, and she'd told me to be gone before then.

"It's OK, I'll find something to eat on the way home." I told her, although I had no idea how I was going to get there; I just had to hope something would turn up.

"I don't recognise your accent, where are you from?" she asked me, so I told her we lived in Carlisle, up in Cumbria. She nodded. "Yeah, the Borders, I couldn't place you at all. How are you going to get back there?"

I shrugged my shoulders.

"I don't know, I'll probably hitchhike, or just walk back... something will come up... " I mumbled, causing her to flash a glance at her mother and pull out her phone. After tapping it a few times, she looked quizzically at me.

"It's over three hundred miles away; you're going to walk back there? How? That could take weeks. Have you got any money?"

When I shook my head her eyes widened.

"So how are you going to eat? What are you going to live on? You can't just head-off into the wilds and hope food will fall in your lap! Sit there, I want to talk to mummy."

Yasmin and Ayesha huddled together, I couldn't hear everything they were saying, but I caught snippets; "...not his fault...at least some food...he's still my brother, we can't just..." and so on.

Just then the door opened and Shereen came back in, her expression hardening when she saw me still there.

"I thought I told you...!" she began, but Yasmin cut her off.

"That's it, Shar, enough! He didn't do anything, he didn't even know, that's why he came here, he was looking for answers! Now belt-up, mummy wants to talk, just shut your trap and listen for thirty seconds!"

We both stared at her, Shereen with a shocked expression at her sister taking my side, although I wasn't sure why. Shereen stared at me for long, endless seconds in silence, her eyes like bullets, grey and merciless as steel shot and just as hard and deadly, and then she nodded just once.

"OK, sit, stay, listen, and just shut up, no-one here wants to hear your pathetic excuses, you got that?"

I nodded dumbly, but couldn't help but see the fleeting smile flit across Yasmin's face before she schooled her features into an impassive mask. Her bright, green-hazel eyes, however, didn't have that steely hardness that Shereen's had. If I hadn't known better, I would have worn she was trying not to smile, or burst out laughing. Ayesha cocked an eye at her younger daughter, obviously seeing what I'd just seen, and the look she gave me was thoughtful, not hostile, and definitely not angry.

"Richard... Ritchie," she sighed, shaking her head sadly at the mess I'd caused by showing up, "You came here into the middle of all this, you didn't know what had been going on, but if I threw you out for things that were not your fault I'd be no better than your father, so I apologise for the welcome I gave you, I see now that none of this was your fault, you had nothing to do with it, and you're just as much a victim as anyone in this room, so please... sit, I'm sorry. No... " she murmured as Shereen stirred angrily, "let me finish, sweetheart, we all need to calm down a little."

She turned her attention back to me.

"You tried to find your mother, you came here from all the way up North with nothing but the clothes on your back, looking for family, for answers, for someone, anyone, who could tell you who you are, and you were ready to go back there any way you could because of the way we responded to you. You didn't come here to threaten, or beg, or blackmail or force your way in, you just wanted to know who you are. There's nothing wrong with that, and you've done nothing to me or your sisters. Your father has much to answer for, he's done things to this family that beggar belief, this is why Shereen is so angry, but you, you're just a kid, fallout from your father's actions, just another victim, and I would never forgive myself if I turned you away and something happened to you: you haven't done anything wrong at all."

She grinned lopsidedly.

"You and I, we still have things to say, some hard things to hear, but we'll do that later. There are things you don't know, things that still make me sick and very angry to even think about, and there will be anger and hurt, oh yes, and probably hatred, too, but if I get angry just remember, it's not at you. You're a victim too, and you're just a youngster, you shouldn't have to deal with this, but these things need to be said, and then perhaps you'll know and understand why Shereen is so very angry."

She leaned her chin on her hand on the arm of her chair and fixed her gaze on me, keen and sharp for long seconds, before speaking again, her tone softer, more considered than earlier.

"For now, just think about this; you came here looking for answers and found your family, Ritchie, strange as that may sound. Your brother Robert and my two girls are all you have, Yasmin is your little sister, Shereen is your big sister, I don't think they have any excuse to abandon you and blame you for something you couldn't possibly have known about. Shereen, would you ever abandon your little sister?"

Shereen's eyes kindled.

"NEVER! How could you even ask..." she almost shouted, and Ayesha nodded.

"Yet you'd abandon your younger brother, who hasn't done anything to you, who just came here hoping to find some answers?" murmured Ayesha. Shereen looked stricken as Ayesha's logic drilled into her.

"Please, baby girl, what have I always told you about guests, and who they might be? This boy is our guest, and he needs our help; are you really going to turn him away to starve in an alley somewhere for something that's not his fault? He didn't pick his father, and he isn't his father, he's someone who doesn't know who he is, or who we are, or why he's here. Is that a sin, or a crime?"

Shereen's shoulders slumped.

"No..." she murmured, defeated by her mother's relentless logic.

Ayesha smiled gently at her.

"Then let him tell his story, sweetheart."

Shereen looked at me and nodded.

"Go ahead then, tell us, tell us the whole thing."

So I did, starting with Nicky, what Bobby and I had thought of him, about Barbara, how we'd ignored and marginalised her, the beatings we'd heard and closed our ears to, the way our father had treated Nicky, and the stories he'd told us, stories I was now coming to realise were lies, how he'd made sure we were completely isolated from the outside world, how we'd never had friends, or met anyone, or really spoken to anyone our entire lives.

Shereen's face remained expressionless through this whole thing, how I'd found clues, isolated fragments that had led to them, and finally my astonishment at the fact I had two sisters, an older and a younger one, the last thing I'd been expecting.

When I'd finished my story, Shereen stared at me for the longest time, but searchingly, and that bullet-hardness was gone from her eyes. Finally, she sighed.

"OK, so what do we do with you? By your own admission you not the kind of person we should allow into our lives. You're selfish, spoiled, indifferent, arrogant, you didn't have a thought for anyone except yourself, am I right so far?"

I had to nod; she was right on the button on her assessment of my character. I was not what she wanted around her family, and the thought inexplicably saddened me.

"However," she continued, "you spilled your guts completely about who and what you are and what you were like, you didn't try and lie or sugar-coat or justify any of it, you told it like it is. Truth is hard to find, mummy always says that sometimes you have to dig deep to find it all, but you were truthful with me off the bat, even if you didn't like what you were telling me, and I get that. Mummy was right, I may not like the idea, but the truth is, you're my little brother, and you came here to find answers, not lie to us, or steal from us, or hurt us, and because you're my little brother, I'm not going to turn my back on you. You need us, and maybe we'll find out we need you. So what, exactly, are we going to do with you, Richard Davies?"

My spirits surged at that; at least she wasn't threatening my life anymore, that had to be a good sign!

"When's the last time you ate something, Richard?" enquired Ayesha. I mumbled something about "not long ago" which got me a narrow-eyed stare.

"I'm not going to ask you again: when's the last time you ate something?"

When I told her it had probably been two days earlier she stared at me like I was mad.

"How much longer were you planning on waiting before telling me you're hungry, eh?" she gritted, and I quailed at her tone.

"I wasn't going to, I'm not hungry, honest, I just wanted some answers, then I'll get out of your hair and go home." I replied, too scared to stay there any longer than necessary. She grinned at me and pointed at Yasmin.

"You really don't know how to lie properly, do you? Yaz, take your brother and show him where he can wash-up, Shari, go make your brother a sandwich, he hasn't eaten in two days, and get him a glass of milk too, he must be starving..."

*

Yasmin waited for me, watching me closely while I washed my hands and face, and grinned when she handed me a towel.

"So where's the rest of your stuff, Richard?" she smiled, and frowned when I told her I didn't have anything except what I was wearing.

"So let me get this straight," she mused, "you found some sort of clue that told you to come here, so you just jumped on a train, headed off into the wide blue yonder, and hoped for the best?"

"Pretty much," I admitted, and she shook her head sadly.

"And then...?" she prodded, and I looked around, at the bathroom, at her, at myself in the mirror.

"And then whatever happened next, I suppose; find out who we really are, why all this has happened, find a way to get home, go back to my life. What else is there?"

Yasmin smiled playfully.

"So you just up and headed out and trusted to luck? I've got to say, while I question your thinking, I can't fault your sense of adventure! You're bonkers, you do know that, right?"

I didn't answer, she didn't seem to need one; instead, she stood next to me and stared at our reflections side by side in the mirror.

"Nothing, absolutely nothing at all..." she marvelled, "you're my older brother and we look nothing alike, not even a little bit; isn't that just a little bit weird? You'd think..."

I nodded, agreeing with her; we had not a trace of resemblance, nothing to give a clue we were siblings, or at least, half-siblings. I grinned, seeing her grin in reply, and her beautiful bright, light green-hazel eyes lit up like her mother's as she smiled.

"I know, but your mother says you're my sisters, she seems to know what she's talking about, so she's probably right, but still..."

"OK, you done?" she asked, I nodded, and I followed her back to the sitting room, where a ham salad sandwich and a glass of milk awaited me. My stomach tightened painfully at the thought of food.

"Eat, don't just look at it..." grinned Ayesha, so I set to with a will, while Ayesha and the girls watched me like some kind of circus exhibit. It was delicious, like nothing I'd ever eaten before. The urge to just cram it in my mouth was almost overpowering, but I forced myself to go slow, to chew every mouthful, to not make a spectacle of myself; these people already had a pretty low opinion of me, no need to give them even more ammunition...

When I'd finished, even Shereen grinned at me.

"Guess you really were hungry after all!" she murmured. I was stuffed, I'd never eaten anything so delicious, not even when dad was still around. Since he'd been taken away it had gotten pretty dire. Bobby and I had pretty much subsisted on the bare minimum that kept us alive, and that simple sandwich was the richest food I'd eaten in almost two years. Too rich, in fact, especially after so long with no food at all. Shereen saw the sweat burst out on my face, and my eyes roll up, and she grabbed me and hustled me into the cloakroom just in time, as it all came back up again, in what seemed like endless waves of retching, while my stomach clenched and convulsed painfully.

Finally it was over, and I just knelt there, bent over with my head spinning, feeling like I'd been kicked repeatedly in the belly; all I wanted to do was die. I'd never felt such pain, I couldn't even stand up it hurt so bad. It took a while for me to realise both girls were crouched next to me, rubbing my back and holding my face in their cool hands.

"Why didn't you slow down, you stupid arse? It wasn't going anywhere!" grumbled Shereen, her voice low and brisk but her gentle hands saying something else entirely. "C'mon, let's get you out of here, I think you need to lie down."

Both girls helped me to my feet, and I felt the blessed cool as Yasmin wiped my burning face with a damp washcloth. That done, we slowly made our way back to the sitting room, slowly because I hurt all over, but mostly my midsection, and I still couldn't straighten up, it just hurt too much.

"Lie down, boy, just take it easy..." crooned Ayesha, as the girls helped me to the sofa, and I did, it helped, but I had to stay in a foetal crouch, it still hurt to try and straighten up.

"What happened there, Richard?" asked Ayesha, "you just folded, why?"

"The food... sorry... not used to it... it hurts... " I managed to gasp out, because even talking hurt, and Shereen looked horrified.

"It was just a sandwich and a glass of milk... " she murmured, staring in confusion at me, but her mother nodded grimly.

"This boy hasn't had a proper meal in God knows how long. God, how has he been living like this? I think we need to try again, he needs food, something simple, maybe light soup; there's some in the pantry, baby girl, chicken soup, minestrone, something light, and maybe some crusty bread, and get some pillows and a quilt, he needs to rest."

It all got a little confused and slightly surreal after that, but a cool hand on my forehead woke me, and a mug of something that smelled delicious was held in front of me. I tried to hold it, but for some reason my hands wouldn't stop shaking, and the next thing I knew, Yasmin was grinning at me as she spoon-fed me hot clear soup.

"Eat it all up now, nom-nom-nom!" she grinned, and I had to laugh even though my stomach ached, it was funny, and no-one was angry with me, and it felt wonderful. I finished the soup, and she wiped my mouth.

"That's all for now, rest a little and you can have some more, let's just wait and see if this comes up too."

At last it was all gone, there was a warm, comfortable glow in my stomach; for the first time in what felt like the longest time I'd had a hot, satisfying meal, and I was warmed through for the first time in a very long time.

*

I woke with a start, confused and disoriented for a second, unable to place where I was, then the world spun for a second and memory flowed back into place; I was in London, I was in Ayesha Shahida's house, and I had two sisters...

"Hello, sleepyhead!" murmured a soft voice, and I spun around, then spun back as I realised I had no clothes on and the quilt had nearly slipped off me and onto the floor.

Clutching the only covering I had, I peered at the figure only vaguely visible in the gloom, just a shadow in the armchair, but I recognised the voice; it was Yasmin.

"My clothes..." I stammered, and she giggled happily at my blushes.

"Don't worry, mummy undressed you, not me or Shari, and we even turned our backs, so there!"

"Where...?" I asked helplessly, and she laughed again.

"Mummy put your clothes through the washer, you need clean clothes, and when you're ready, you can have a shower, because, I have to be honest, you kind of need one! In the meantime, how are you feeling?"

I was brought up short; how did I feel?

"Tired, weak, confused, embarrassed, hungry, I could go on... "

Yasmin flicked on the lamp and looked me over.

"You should feel hungry; you've been out like a light for, let me see, almost sixteen hours, you must have been exhausted..."

I was stunned; I'd slept sixteen hours? It didn't seem possible, but then the darkness, the ache in my limbs from lying in one position for hours on end, and the hunger, of course.

"It's almost five in the morning, mummy, Shari and I have been taking turns watching you; you had mummy really worried, you know! Oh, and she's sorry for the way she went off at you. She probably won't say anything, but she's really feeling guilty about the whole thing, you weren't to know. Shari too, she kind of feels rough about going berserk at you like that, all those death-threats, she's not really like that at all, so let her apologise when she gets to it, she didn't know either. We all owe you an apology; you didn't deserve any of that, so they'll probably be a bit nicer to you; try and enjoy it! One thing, though, Richard; we all saw how thin you are; don't you ever eat anything?"

I felt my face burning as I flushed; the fact is, Bobby and I never had enough to eat; with only him working, on an ad-hoc contract on minimum wage, there were some weeks where our one meal of the day was a can of soup between us and a couple of slices of bread, it was barely enough to keep body and soul together, but what could we do? I was beginning to understand that Dad had done this to us; he'd left us in this mess, and we had no way out.

Yasmin looked closely at me.

"You don't, do you? You poor guy, no wonder you got so sick, you must be really just scraping by if a sandwich was too much to handle. I'm sorry, Richard, I didn't realise. Would you like some more soup? I can get it in a jiffy, you just wait there, oh yeah, you're bare-arsed naked, aren't you, you've got to!"

She giggled as she left the room, leaving me there naked, wrapped in a quilt, wondering what I was going to do next. Hopefully I'd feel better soon, I'd get my clothes back, and I could comb myself out of these people's hair and find a way to get back home again. Kind as they were being, given what had gone before, which I still didn't properly understand, I didn't belong here, and I realised I couldn't impose on their good graces very much longer. Yasmin said they weren't mad at me any longer, I wondered how long that would last if I continued to hang around...

The door opened and Yasmin came back carrying a tray with a bowl of soup, some bread, a banana, and a bowl of what looked like fruit chunks in syrup. Everything smelled wonderful, the soup, the warm, crusty bread, the sweet smell of the fruit, and Yasmin grinned as she put it on my lap.

"Eat up; don't let it get cold again!"

I set to with a will; the soup was as delicious as before, dipping the bread in it was delectable, and before I knew it I'd polished the bowl clean. Yasmin took the empty bowl away and nudged the bowl of fruit at me.

"Try it, Richard, it's good for you, you'll like it..." and I did; I'd never eaten anything like it; even the banana was something I only had vague memories of eating when I was much younger. When dad was still with us we'd never been given anything like any of these things before; when I thought about it, I realised that even with all his money, dad had drastically cut corners and pinched pennies anyway; I'm sure he could have afforded simple, tasty food and even simpler treats like this, he'd just never done it, because he was a grasping cheapskate; it had taken strangers to show me what I'd been missing all along, simple things that other people probably just took for granted.