Random Acts of Kindness

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And as if that wasn't wonderful enough, Tim couldn't stop talking about Phil's uniforms or the ceremonial sword all Marine officers were required to own. It was called a Mameluke sword and had a white pearl handle and a long, silver blade. There was also a black rope at the bottom tied in a knot, and Tim thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen.

Phil brought it to his mom's specifically to show Time how to do the sword manual, a series of movements done with the sword during parades and ceremonies, and he'd even been allowed to use the sword and try to do the movements himself. He banged the floor a couple of times and whacked himself in the head with the blade once, but that made no difference. He was hooked and loved that sword so much that he wanted one of his own. Of course, they were just over six-hundred dollars, but Phil didn't mention that.

After that, the two guys sat on the couch and played video games for an hour then watched an action movie that Tim loved. He was so excited on the ride home that Jessica couldn't stop smiling.

"Well, I had a wonderful time, too. Phil's mother is a quilter and she's going to teach me how to quilt."

Even in the dark car Jessica could see that her son had no interest in quilting as he gave her a confused look then went right back to talking about the best night of his life.

It didn't matter that she and Phil had barely spent any time together. Getting to know his family did, and now that she'd gotten to know Marsha, she felt welcome and even loved. But not just by Marsha.

Marsha was just as thrilled as Jessica and told Phil how much she enjoyed their time together.

"I'm glad, Mom. And I had a fantastic time with Tim who seemed to be having a lot of fun himself."

His mom smiled at her son the said, "I can see why you love her."

"Yeah. I think I kinda do love her."

"Well, she as much as told me she loves you, too. But you didn't hear that from me."

Phil didn't tell their secret, but the following morning, when Jessica came to his place for brunch, he told her he loved her for the first time.

"You don't have to say it back. I know we really only just met, but I've never felt like this about anyone before," he told her.

He saw her tearing up and hoped she wasn't about to tell him she didn't feel that way, but that didn't happen.

"I love you, too, Phillip. And it doesn't matter how long we've known each other. What matters is the way we feel about each other."

"I couldn't agree more," he told her before he pulled her close and kissed her.

Phil had brought his sword back home after taking it to his mom's house knowing Tim would love it, and the boy was in Phil's bedroom saying, "Pre-sent, SWORDS!" and then, "Or-der, SWORDS!"

The first time Jessica heard it she asked what was going on.

"Come on. I'll show you."

Phil took her hand and led her to the door outside his bedroom.

Tim was wearing Phil's green 'hat' which was called a garrison cover or more affectionately, a 'pisscutter' and swinging the sword around.

"Don't worry. It isn't sharp."

Again, Jessica teared up as she realized her son also loved this older man who had become an idol of sorts to him and a best friend.

"He loves you, too," Jessica whispered as she watched her son trying to emulate Phil.

"The feelings are mutual...honey," he whispered back.

That word caused her heart to swell and turn toward him then put her arms around him.

"Would you please kiss me? And call me that again?" she asked very sweetly.

"Of course I will, honey."

This time, Tim saw them and the first clue that he had was a boyish giggle Jessica rarely heard anymore.

"Uh-oh. We are so busted," she said as she pulled back a bit but without taking her arms down.

"It's okay. That's what grownups who love each other do," Tim informed them as they tried not to laugh.

"Yes they do, don't they, sweetheart?" Jessica said to the handsome, younger man she loved before kissing him again even more passionately.

"We're gonna have to get a room," Phil said jokingly when the kiss ended.

"You say that like you're kidding around. But I'm not sure how much longer I can wait."

"Oh. Well, in that case, perhaps we should see if my mom would be willing to watch young Timothy for an evening one day soon."

"Or maybe he could spend the night? So you and I could...spend the night," Jessica countered.

"Oh. I like your idea much better," Phil told her, causing his beautiful girlfriend to laugh and kiss him again.

"And one other thing before I forget," he told her.

"Yes?"

"The Marine Corps birthday and birthday ball is in November. It's a formal event, so maybe I could take my beautiful girlfriend shopping for a dress?"

"I'll be able to buy it, honey," she told him, knowing she wouldn't have that kind of money which also meant shoes, a purse, and having her hair done.

"I know," Phil told her, knowing that she didn't. "But it would make me happy to be able to start spoiling you early on."

"Spoiling me. Just knowing you love me is more than enough."

Phil smiled then told her she couldn't wear his love to the ball.

"Well, not just my love."

"Okay. You can spoil me. But just this once," she told him, as feelings of gratitude welled up in her along with love.

"I have to inform you it's going to be a regular thing. So if you can't live with that, maybe this isn't going to work out," Phil said with mock seriousness.

"Even when my husband was alive...I've never been spoiled. It might take some getting used to," she told him.

"That's okay. We have the rest of our lives for that."

"That sounds wonderful to me, Phillip," she told him as she fought back the urge to tear up again.

"It does sound pretty wonderful, doesn't it?"

"Are you guys gonna stand there and kiss ALL night?" Tim said, causing them both to laugh.

"No. We're gonna take break and go...kiss on the couch for a bit," his mom said.

"Whatever!" Tim said as he went back to his sword drills.

*****

Oklahoma City. November 10th, birthday of the United States Marine Corps.

"You are so handsome it makes me...want to swoon!"

Jessica almost said 'wet', and even though they'd made love many times already, that just wasn't her style. She wasn't the least bit prudish, but she also wasn't crass.

"Any guy looks good in dress blues," Phil told her. "But not every woman looks as amazing as you do."

"Thank you, kind sir! A very handsome, younger man bought this dress for me. I hope you're not jealous," Jessica teased.

"Nah. He has good taste in clothes and in women, so no, I'm not jealous."

Jessica did look beautiful. Her blonde hair was worn in an updo, and between her perfectly made up face and the flowing, silky formal gown, she was as gorgeous as any woman Phil had ever seen. And more importantly, she was in love with him and he with her.

That evening, Jessica experienced her first formal event with Marines, most of whom were reservists from the Oklahoma City/Norman area. She was impressed with the pageantry and the formality as well as with the food. But most of all she loved dancing with her handsome boyfriend who was, in her opinion, the best looking Marine in attendance.

At midnight, the senior Marine in there, a reserve colonel who was the commanding officer of the reserve unit, called for everyone's attention.

"Marines. Ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for attending and sharing the 244th birthday of our Corps with us. This is the end of the formal program, and the band will we be going home after one more song. So grab that special someone, and Semper Fi and God bless!"

Every Marine in the room hollered out, "Oorah, sir!" as the colonel waved and grabbed his wife for the final dance of the night.

"May I have this dance?" Phil asked his date as he bowed slightly.

"Why, yes you may!" Jessica replied with a little curtsy.

As they danced to a romantic, slow song, Phil said, "This is the closest thing Marine have to a spiritual celebration."

"It was truly amazing, Phillip. Thank you for sharing it with me."

"I can't imagine not having you here with me," he told her.

As the song ended he said, "There's one more thing I can't imagine doing without you."

Jessica's first thought was making love, but that was also too crass to take advantage of and she didn't ask.

As the music ended, Phil got down on one knee and produced a very large diamond ring she had no idea was there all night. He'd put it in a tiny little slit pocket inside his dress blues and waited for the right moment.

"I can't imagine spending the rest of my life without you, Jessica. I love you with all my heart, and nothing would make me happier than for you to be my wife."

Everyone had stopped to watch, and Marines and their dates were now gathered around as the beautiful woman the captain was proposing began to cry.

"So, Jessica Marie Logan, will you marry me?"

"Yes. Yes, of course I'll marry you!" she said as the room exploded with another, "Oorah, get some, sir!" and other such calls of support.

Phil slid the ring on her finger, stood up, kissed her to wild cheering, then stood beside her as the hooting and hollering continued before people began congratulating them.

Jessica was so happy that even the drunk Marine or two who kissed her on the mouth didn't upset her. She was now engaged to the only other man she'd ever loved and happier than she thought she would ever be again.

And all of this was due to one small, random act of kindness committed by a man who was willing to go the extra mile to help out when she needed it most.

*****

Phillip and Jessica Sexton were married the following Spring with Tim serving as Phil's best man. He looked all grown up in his little tux with a boutonniere on the lapel. Jessica's only uncle flew in to give her away, and Marsha served as the Maid and Matron of Honor depending on one's view of whether or not she was married. But that didn't matter as Jessica said, "I do," to the most handsome man she'd ever known.

The following year was Phil's last as an MOI, and it was then that his beautiful new wife told him she was pregnant. Jessica had just turned 43, and while she'd never had any doubt about her younger husband's love, she couldn't help but wonder what he might say since they hadn't planned on having a child just yet.

But when she told him, and she saw tears of happiness welling up in his eyes, she was even more sure than ever before.

Just two months before Phil was due to report to Camp Pendleton, California, Jessica gave birth to their daughter, a beautiful, healthy little girl they named Lily Lynne Sexton.

The four of them soon headed west to the Golden State and started the rest of their lives together. There were many long weeks and occasionally months of absence when Phil was deployed or training, but Jessica Sexton was it for the long run as they raised their children, loved one another, and moved from place to place every three to four years after that.

Phil retired from active duty as a colonel just one month before Lily graduated from high school. Tim, who was now a doctor finishing up his residency, flew in for his baby sister's graduation. Making the day even better was seeing Marsha again who'd done her best to come visit once or twice a year no matter where they lived.

And Jessica, who was still the most beautiful woman Phil had ever known, was beyond happy to have her entire family with her.

That night as they waited for Lily to join her class, Tim said, "Oh. You'll never guess what happened to me a few days ago."

"Did you find the cure for cancer?" the man who raised him asked with a laugh.

"No. Not yet, Dad. But I was at a gas station where a very attractive woman needed help with a flat tire."

Jessica looked at her husband who only shrugged then said to his son, "And?"

"Well, as it turns out, she was very grateful for my help, and when I get back she and I are going to dinner."

"Look at you. Just like your dad," his mom said with a smile.

"Well, Dad's the one who taught me the value of random acts of kindness," the young doctor replied.

Jessica took her husband's hand, squeezed it, then said, "That's your dad for sure."

Everyone laughed, embraced, then Jessica told Lily, "You need to get up on stage."

"That can wait. This...our family...is a lot more important to me than a piece of paper."

"Ahh!" her mother said before the blended family hugged each other more time; a family that came to be precisely because a young man had been taught the value of being kind and helpful when others needed it the most.