Ratter Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Great." he grinned and started walking away, "name's Ryan by the way."

* * *

The smile hadn't left Rane's face since April got back. True to her nature, Charity had completely bypassed tact, and blurted out everything about April's date for the night. The look on Seere's face had been priceless. He'd kept his mouth shut but his powers shorted out the lamp in the lounge. It's never fun losing a game, even when you don't know you're playing.

He sat on the floor, opposite April now dressed in tan trousers and a white halter with a serpent pendant hanging from her neck. The room had been specifically designed for training the mind. If you could call it design. It was bare and soundproof, with a plain red oak floor. Ancient art and symbols covered three walls. The fourth, made of glass, looked out over a small paradise of nature.

Rane noted the relaxed state of April's figure and closed his eyes, envisioning a breath in physical form. He filled his lungs, exhaling a gentle mist of smoke. 'I can't control your mind' he had told her 'but I can sense the energy and release it into the Netherspace. It's up to you to find it.' April inhaled the vapor and her mind woke in his sight. He submerged himself, allowing it to wash over his own until it came to rest.

The binding was a heavy weight in his mind, a strong pressure. Whoever restrained her had ensured her abilities would never resurface naturally. But why? A hybrid is never as strong as those outside this world. For what purpose would one need to be restrained? There was only one reason he could think of. And he dreaded the discovery.

With force, he pulled at the pressure point in her mind. It didn't budge. Centering all his power, he pulled as hard as he could. Slowly, it softened; too slowly. His mind was screaming in agony, as it drew past his reserves of energy and started consuming his life force. Blood streamed from his ears and nose, and rose up in his throat. He didn't have long. With a final tug he withdrew, hoping he had managed to release her binds. He wouldn't have the strength to try again.

* * *

"Blood!" Urien Alaster addressed a room of loyal followers with a tempering smile. "Blood, is not life." He paused as a whispered protest broke through the room. "Blood, is power." The whispers stopped. His moved regally through the crowd, long ivory fangs protruding from his mouth. "Through its vessel it works wonders."

"|We are all born with blood, as we are all born with power. Equals under Rammon. Such are the teachings of our ancestors. Those; the first of this pathetic race to take destiny by the throat and demand more. But I say to you; beings of our strength, our supremacy should not be required to yield to such restraints."

"Our ancestors shed innocent blood. And by Rammon we are now required to take it. So the choice is to hide and stalk vermin to nourish our souls; or fulfill the legacy handed down throughout the ages." He moved back towards the stage.

"But our mother race is human. Isn't it like killing our own?" a voice cried from the crowd.

Urien turned to the youth with a gentle smile, "our origins are undeniable. But we are no longer as they will always be. Through the sacrifice of our ancestors, we are a new race. One separate from mortality. It is no more dishonorable for us to kill humans, than for a human to kill a pig. They are nothing but pigs to us."

He folded his arms and watched the crowd nod as a surge of conversation swept the room. A short, dark figure came and stood at his side.

"A stirring speech Alaster." Shol said keeping his voice lower than the noise of the crowd.

"Yes, it was at that."

"We should have all the volunteers we need."

He nodded. "They do seem eager."

"When are we heading out?"

They turned at the sound of yelling. The crowd had formed a circle around two men fighting. Very eager, his mind whispered. "Tonight."

* * *

Seere knew the feeling was irrational. He had no claim, and he had no reason. A small voice was reminding him he had resolved to distance himself from her. It was his choice.

"Ryan," he muttered, "what kind of a name is Ryan anyway?" a door slammed behind him and he turned to see April walk in. He studied her for a minute before determining her powers had yet to kick in.

She stopped three feet away from him and stared at the weapons and training equipment, concern etched across her face. He turned away with a wicked smile, surprised when she moved towards a table with strange knives and swords. She picked up a khukuri, running her fingers over the Celtic knotwork engraved in the hilt.

"For decapitation," he said, and she threw him a look. Putting it back she picked up a double-edged dagger with a handgrip like a square letter 'A'.

"Katar; for close combat. Don't touch the blade. It slides into flesh like butter."

She put it back down and turned to face him. "Am I going to kill someone?"

He couldn't hide the amusement in his voice, "something yes. Why?"

She didn't answer his question. Instead her eyes swept over the weapons in the room, "have you killed anything before?"

"Yes." he said without thinking.

She moved forward and narrowed her eyes at him; he glared back. "How many things?"

He moved forward and stared down at her. A glimmer of fear shone behind her defiant blue eyes. "Many."

A look of shock came over her face and she took a few steps back. He felt his senses tip and a satisfied surge of power ran through him. A part of him reveled in her fear, wanting to chase her, to make her run. The part of him winning over the caution. He clenched his fists and relaxed them, the movement a thrill of anticipation.

"Many?" she fiddled with her pendant nervously.

He stalked forward, "it's easy," he answered, "just one quick cut and they're dead. Of course it's always more fun when you do it with your bare hands. The feel of bones cracking beneath your fingers is unforgettable."

She had walked back so far she was just brushing the wall. Lesson one. He darted forward and with a hand around her neck, slammed her against the wall. She let out a sharp cry as he leaned in close and tightened his hand around her neck. He pushed down on her trachea just enough to extract a choking sound when she breathed.

"Right now, I don't care for your begging. I don't care for your right to live. I don't care if you have a family that needs you, or a date for the night. I have no compassion, no reason. And neither will they. Whoever is coming for you April, and they are coming for you, will not be impressed by a little girl with a pretty face. You're going to have to be as cold in killing them as they will be in killing you."

"I could kill you now," he pushed harder and she stopped breathing, "and I wouldn't lose a single nights' sleep." He released her neck and stepped back. She leaned over, gasping in air. When she straightened her eyes glittered with anger and betrayal. He folded his arms and met her with a cold stare. "Don't look at me like that, I let you go. They wouldn't have."

"You're supposed to help me, to train me. You're supposed to be my friend!"

He raised his eyebrows and slipped his hands in his pockets. "And what have we learned from today's lesson?"

She clenched her fists and walked towards him, her face set in a look of cool rage. He tilted his head in amusement. She leaned in close to him, "that I can't trust you," she whispered.

"Exactly."

* * *

April dragged the brush violently through her hair, cursing under her breath. She pulled it back in a twist with a jeweled clip, leaving some shorter strands down for effect. Even she had to admit, she looked good. The emerald dress reached mid-thigh and the skirt swept loosely around her figure. The strappy heels Charity found, matched the dress perfectly and diamonds dangled from her ears. She just wished she could enjoy it.

She remembered the predatory look on Seere's face as he'd pinned her against the wall. The way she just stood there while he choked her. She cursed again and threw the brush across the room. In her old life she wasn't the vulnerable one. She was strong, a fighter. And she didn't like being the prey.

"I'll just have to be more prepared next time." she muttered and leaned in to do her makeup. She smiled as a figure appeared in the mirror behind her.

"First sign of madness, you know." Charity teased.

"Then I'll fit in with the rest of you," she laughed.

"You look great," she nodded her approval.

"Thanks. Who's your friend?"

Charity turned towards the monster of a man beside her. 6'5" and built like a truck, muscles straining against the white shirt. His face was fixed in a permanent scowl and his eyes were cold and serious. "This is Michael," she said good-naturedly and slapped him on the back. He didn't budge an inch. "He's a 'kral vahi,' one of the strongest fighters in my brace."

April moved towards him with a tentative smile "I'm sorry you had to come all this way to help protect me." He just stared.

Charity grinned, "oh, he didn't come all this way for you."

A figure of white and black jumped Michael from behind, sending them both tumbling to the floor. April gaped in shock at the giant grin on Seere's face "mare la spre a vedea tu prietenul meu."

Michael didn't smile but his eyes softened and he gripped Seere's hand in a warrior's handshake "şi tu." He stood and dragged Seere to his feet.

Still grinning he turned to April who was just standing there, staring with mascara wand in hand. His eyes darkened as they swept her body. "I like the dress."

She pursed her lips and turned back to the mirror. "Thank you. I'm sure they have your size if you're interested." Charity looked shocked and grabbed Michaels arm, steering him out of the room. April smiled and finished doing her eyes before turning back to Seere. His face was impassive and it scared her more than the training room.

"If you're going to try and kill me again you'd better do it now. It would be kind of messy if Ryan showed up before you were done."

She jumped when the vase on the dresser exploded. Seere's face remained perfectly calm and he said the words with deliberate ease, "I'm not going to kill you." He was in a dangerous mood and she was baiting him. Fear nagged at the back of her throat.

Determined not to let him see it, she grabbed her clutch and wrap. "Don't wait up."

His eyes turned impossibly dark. Feeling a little spurt of confidence when he didn't react, she glided past him bumping his arm as she walked past. She knew it was a mistake as soon as she'd done it. His hand shot out and grabbed her, swinging her around to face him. Holding her arms in a bruising grip he backed her against the wall.

She looked into the two black holes where Seere used to be. The air hummed with energy and she struggled against the fear. He pushed her arms back bringing her face to meet his. Hesitating, he leaned forward and brushed his lips against hers. Shock ran through her as he deepened the kiss. His mouth was hungry and punishing, and to her horror she found herself kissing him back. He released her arms and slid his hands around her waist, drawing her closer. She leaned into him letting the warmth flood her body.

He was the one who broke away. She stared at him with glazed eyes for a moment, before the reality of the situation slipped in. Violent, murdering, egotistical bastard. She swung her arm forward and slapped him, raking her nails across his face. With a quick glance in the mirror and a satisfied nod at the wounds and look of shock on Seere's face, she flung open the door and walked out.

She was still cursing when she walked straight into Ryan. "Hey, if this is what you're going to be like on our date, maybe I should have booked the optometrist."

April pushed Seere out of her mind and smiled warmly at him. He looked behind her, a frown on his face. She turned to look at Seere, his face cold and bearing no trace of her assault. He leaned casually against the wall and folded his arms, staring back at Ryan. The tension between them grew. "Uh, Ryan…this is Seere." April said nervously. Ryan snapped out of the trance and nodded in his direction. He draped an arm possessively around her shoulders and smiled down at her.

"Should we get going then?"

She nodded and they walked out the door.

* * *

Rane waited until they'd left before turning to Seere. He could guess a thousand things the idiot did wrong and by the icy look on his face, the results weren't to his liking. "What did you do?"

Seere's eyes flashed with amusement before answering him, "I kissed her."

"And what did she do?"

"She slapped me."

Charity burst out laughing and Rane nudged her to shut up.

Seere looked shocked, "what?"

"I've been saying for decades someone needed to take you down a notch."

"Charity…" Seere lowered his voice dangerously.

"Don't give me that bad boy bullshit. Every girl you've ever met…Hades…every girl we've ever met has fawned all over you. Now a sweet, little half-mortal comes along and you get slapped!" She doubled over again and Rane glanced nervously at Seere.

Seere shrugged and pushed himself away from the wall and went to sit beside Michael on the sofa. The slight adjustment to Michael's features passed for sympathy and he handed him a beer. He took it with a grateful nod and pulled the coffee table forward, opening his laptop. Rane furrowed his brow and studied his friend. It wasn't normal for Seere to take Charity's mocking with such ease. Seere looked up and smiled knowingly.

"It's okay Rane, she's right. I shouldn't have kissed her. It won't happen again."

Charity stopped laughing and squinted at Seere, "what do you mean it won't happen again?"

He clicked a few times and turned to Rane, "we got a reply from that clairvoyant I told you about. She says something bad is coming our way, and we should be on our guard. Whoever's tracking April this time knows where we are and will be here tonight."

"Nothing more specific huh?" Rane flashed Charity a warning look.

She stuck her tongue out at him. "What do you mean it won't happen again?"

Seere ignored her, "she says she'll try and get more information, but she doesn't think it will come in time. It's faster to find out the basics. She's going to keep an eye on our case anyway. She'll let us know if she finds out more."

"Seere!"

He looked at her blankly, "yes Charity?"

"What do you mean when you say it won't happen again?"

He tilted his head to the side, "is there more than one way that phrase can be misinterpreted?"

Rane snickered and Charity clobbered him. "So you're just going to give up because of a little slap across the face?"

He sighed, "You're missing the point."

"Oh, well…enlighten me oh wise, brooding one," she said with a mock bow.

He shrugged, "it wasn't meant to happen in the first place."

"What wasn't meant to happen?" Wade walked into the room holding a mug.

"Seere kissed April." Charity waved him off, "now go away."

Instead he walked towards Seere and Michael and plopped unceremoniously down between them. He grabbed Michael's beer and tipped some into his mug before handing it back. Michael pulled out a stack of cards and started dealing.

"Oh…I don't think so." Charity pulled Rane down as he got up to join the game.

He grinned at her, "I don't think Seere wants to talk Char."

"Look, Charity. Do you like April?" Seere asked.

She nodded and folded her arms, "oh course I like April. What's not to like?"

"And do you like me?"

She pursed her lips as if she was thinking. Rane nudged her. "Yes," she sighed.

"Thank you. Now what do I do for a living?"

She didn't answer.

"How many people have I killed?"

She shifted in her place but still didn't answer.

"Would you say I'm a violent person?"

Her head shot up. "We're all violent people Seere."

"No, you're not," he said slowly. "The thing is, it might be that all these things. My past, would be okay. But it's not really my past, is it?" Rane gave him a knowing look. "I'm not going to change what I do. I'm always going to be a killer - by choice. I'm always going to be violent - by choice. I don't know what I was before I washed up on that beach. I don't know how old I am or where I'm from. But it's in me to cause pain. It's in me to enjoy causing it. To revel in it." His eyes glittered as he watched her, "now tell me how good I'd be with April."

The room was silent, except for the sound of Michael still dealing out the cards.

Rane left his shocked girlfriend and pulled a chair up to the table. "Deal me in Mikey," he grinned.

* * *

The Nepřítel was as beautiful and charming as her date. It was elegant without being extravagant. She looked at the menu, a twinge of a smile playing on her lips as she considered Seere's reaction to his credit card bill. Her face instantly flushed at the thought of Seere. His lips on hers, the silky feel of his hair as her fingers ran through it…

"Are you okay?"

She looked up guiltily at Ryan. "Oh, yeah it's just that…I can't read this," she pointed at her menu.

He smiled and ordered for her. Of course she could read the menu. The first few years of her life were filled with expensive French restaurants and foreign languages. She might not have been able to speak them fluently but she certainly could read the menus.

They made small talk. She laughed at all the right times and he complimented her hair, dress and smile. The meal was perfect, and the wine made her dizzy. Ryan moved across the table and played with her fingers. Such an intimate movement, she wanted to pull away but she knew it wouldn't go down well.

"You know, I think there's something special about you April."

Her nerves jumped. "What?"

"There's something special about you," he repeated and looked into her eyes, "something about you brings people to life. That's why your friends worry so much about you. There's a sweetness about you, an innocence."

She couldn't decide whether to laugh or sigh in relief. She settled for a smile. His eyes lit up and brought her hand to his lips. An image flashed in her mind of Seere, warm against her mouth. She felt herself blush and to her relief, Ryan assumed it was him. He looked pleased.

* * *

Charity had played a couple of hands with the boys before falling asleep on the couch. Seere smiled impishly at Rane when she called out for him in her sleep. Wade had gone to bed early so he'd be at full energy should something bad happen. Michael had paused a couple of times to listen to the air, before grunting and going back to the game. Seere knew if something were going to be heard, Michael would hear it.

He dropped his losing hand and ran his fingers through his hair and turned to Rane. "You win again."

"Ah, yes. I always do." He winked.

"Rane…." Charity called from the couch.

Rane stood and picked her up. "I'll just go put her to bed. Save me a beer." He started walking towards the bedroom.

Michael froze. His head shot up and his eyes glazed over as he focused on hearing. After a minute he turned and nodded at Seere. Seere's eyes flashed and he looked at Rane, "wake her!" he said before there was a loud crash, and several dark figures entered the cabin.

* * *

Ryan drove April back to the cabin and walked her to the door. The closer they got, the more nervous she felt. Time to calm down meant time to think. She'd slapped Seere. Seere, who had almost choked her without reason besides making a point. He had a reason to hurt her now. April paused at the door and smiled.