Ravenswood Ch. 12

Story Info
The Gathering.
4.4k words
4.79
4.6k
5

Part 12 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 09/26/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This chapter continues my story, the one that puts a different, more unique spin on the age-old vampire myth. But, because uploading chapters is faster than building them, it may take time before another makes its way to your desktop.

As this is a science fiction tale there are aliens, good ones and bad ones, and yes, the good ones are here to stand against those who would subjugate the more physically fragile human race. They all face challenges.

I hope you enjoy reading this chapter, leave a comment once you've finished. Good feedback, positive or negative with specifics, is the lifeblood of any writer.

I'm working hard to add to this catalog, please be patient...dreamweaver594.

12-The Gathering

"Good Morning, Maura." Vera's head came around the open bedroom door as sunlight, filtered by the trees, streamed in the window and fell across the floor in pools of amber.

"Good Morning." Maura said as she spread her arms to find Jason. But he was gone. She sat up quickly. "Where's Jason? Is something the matter?"

"Jason's eating breakfast, which you should, too." Vera pulled back her covers then moved to the door. "Hurry up, it's nearly time to leave, sleepy head."

"I'm guess I'm more a late morning person than an early morning one." She grabbed a shawl from the nightstand and wrapped it around her shoulders as she wiped the sleep from her eyes. "Wait...for what?"

Vera turned to her as she reached the doorway. "The Gathering my dear, you have lots to do and little time to dawdle. Quickly daughter."

Maura tossed the shawl onto the bed as Vera shoved a robe into her hands and pushed her towards the main room of the cottage. Maura struggled with her robe, getting herself barely covered as Vera whisked her through the bedroom door and towards the kitchen.

Jason stood by the fire spooning the last of his breakfast as she passed by. "Morning!" He chirped as Vera continued to steer her out of the kitchen towards the bathhouse. "Quickly Maura, get a bath then come back inside to dress. You'll have to grab what you can for breakfast as we have little time before the assembly."

She stepped through the kitchen door and made her way to the bathhouse, dodging puddles as she crossed the lane. In the distance, the sounds of many voices came from the direction of the gathering place.

After several dowsings with the warm water of the bathtub to rinse off the soapy residue of a good scrub, Maura immersed herself in its warmth. The water was rejuvenating, a welcome relief from the snappy chill of a fall-like morning in Ravenswood. Now that the leaves on some of the trees have begun to show color, the days have grown cooler and the nights - frosty.

Ten minutes later, sunlight burst into the kitchen as Maura, wrapped in a robe and slippers, swung the door open. Her long amber hair was wrapped in another towel as she padded quickly across the rug covered stone floor to the bedroom she now shared with Jason.

Inside he stood buttoning a crisply tailored robe of crimson red with a large golden dragon crest emblazoned across his chest. "Hi. You've got to hurry, love. We only have a few minutes before we have to join the processional."

"Jason, why didn't you wake me sooner?" Maura grumbled, trying to towel dry her hair.

"I tried twice but both times you sent me flying! You warned me that you're not an early morning person and I believe it!" He grinned as he fastened the last button on his robe.

Maura stood by the bed putting on her underwear. "I'm sorry, I'm still not used to sleeping with you. Did I hurt you?" She turned and faced away from Jason. "Hook me please."

"No, you made me laugh, though. I think we've invented a new form of early morning exercise. I tickle you and you send me flying."

She twisted to him in frustration, swatting his arm. "Oh! Never mind that, I don't know what to do, what to wear, anything!" Maura cried out. "Help me!"

He spun her around and pulled a brush through her long hair. "Don't worry. I'll be by your side nearly the whole time and I'll whisper what you're supposed to do and when. Piece of cake!" Jason tossed the brush on the table, spun her back around, kissed her on the cheek and then patted her butt. "Now hurry up, I laid out your robe and sash on the bed. I'll go get you something for breakfast. No need for your tummy to rumble in the middle of the ceremony. Back in a flash."

A few minutes later, Maura walked into the common room looking dazzling in the crimson robe she wore just two nights earlier at the induction ceremony. Her makeup was perfect and every hair was in place.

Jason beamed. "Do you know how stunning you look? No one will be able to take their eyes off of you!"

She stood in the middle of the room, her hands on her hips. "That's what I am afraid of, if I screw up everyone will see!"

Jason walked across the room and reached out and held her face gently in his hands. "You're perfect, Maura, you'll do great." Jason took her hand and walked towards the front door swiping a sandwich along the way. "Here's breakfast, it's all I could make, considering." He stepped towards the front door and held it open for her. "Now come on, we're late, you can eat it along the way."

"I can't, Jason, my stomach is all butterflies." She set the sandwich on a plate by the door. "If I eat anything I'll throw up."

Outside, Maura fell in with Jason, stride for stride, blending into the processional as it wove from the center of the village through the forest and towards the circle of monoliths. Around them, people bent to one another whispering about Maura, the gatekeeper's daughter.

At the head of the long weave of people, walked the members of the council whom Maura met a few weeks earlier, still haunted by some of their sentiments. Their flowing robes of white with traces of azure blue and violet fluttered in the breeze. Behind them strode several hundred men and women dressed in the same crimson robes that Jason and Maura wore. Behind her others, dressed in green, amber, and violet followed. The procession of men and women stretched further than Maura could see.

"Is there a significance to the color of the robes?" she whispered to him.

"Yes," he whispered back. "White is for the elders in the council or a distinguished guest, crimson for the guardians, the greens are the weavers, the ambers are the healers, and the violet robes are for the priests." The processional continued to wind its way through the forest towards the Gathering Place. "There was only one other Terrian to ever wear guardian crimson."

Surprised, Maura turned quickly to Jason. "Who?"

"Your father."

"Oh?" Suddenly it all became clear. Her eyes glistened as the memories came flooding back. There was a small case, hidden away in a vault buried deep beneath their family home. It had an ornate golden dragon embossed on the top of the box with an equally ornate silver lock to keep it sealed. She saw it in her mind and remembered how impressed she was when she discovered it. Her father's crimson robe, like the one she wore now.

Jason nodded toward the monoliths. He gestured for Maura to step in front of him so that he could speak softly to her. "Okay, we're near the circle. Once we arrive, you and I will follow the council into the center near the large stone altar, there's platform erected for this function. Take my hand, I'll guide your there, the footing can be a bit slippery on the stones, especially this early in the morning."

Maura nodded, listening intently.

"When you get there, you don't have to say anything. Stand and face the gathering of witnesses. Then place your hands on the stone tablets when I nod to you, then step back and face the rising sun." Jason grinned to her. "See? Like I said, a piece of cake."

As Maura neared the circle of monoliths she could see the area was filled with an incredible number of people. Thousands upon thousands of men and women dressed in richly colored and ornately decorated robes. So many had already arrived and more were still coming behind them. They must have come from villages all over the world.

A hush fell over the crowd as Maura stepped across the threshold of stones that marked the outer perimeter of the circle floor. Jason held her hand as he led her towards the platform at the center of the circle.

Near the large flat stone, Jason motioned to her to step apart from him. She stood before the stone slab and turned towards the gathered audience of spectators, shaking like the fall leaves of color surrounding everyone, her nerves were showing. The council of elders stood in a semi-circle behind her.

Two of the elders who had carried the large tablets of stone bearing her father's name, walked forward and placed them in the center of the stone slab. A moment later the remaining council members walked behind the stone slab and surrounding Maura. They faced out towards the crowd of witnesses in all directions.

As the sun rose above the horizon and climbed higher in the sky the entire council began to speak, in unison. It was the ancient language of the Sirin. All of the others around the circle, both inside and out, bowed their heads as the council members spoke, as if in prayer.

A moment later an eerie quiet fell across the clearing as the combined voices of the council members fell silent. Maura glanced at Jason who subtly motioned to her to move closer to the stone slab. She walked to the slab and glanced again at Jason. He nodded and, remembering what he had told her, she placed her hands onto the tablets in front of her.

For a moment nothing happened, then a soft golden light began to glow from the script on the tablets. It continued to grow in brilliance until the very air within the circle seemed to be filled with a dazzling golden light. A moment later the tablets appeared to melt into the stone altar itself. When they were gone the light from the script faded and the air returned to normal. Jason nodded and Maura turned to the rising sun, as he had instructed. Then as the council spoke in the ancient tongue of the Sirin, they stepped around Maura and proceeded to leave the alter area.

Jason walked forward to take her hand as she stepped down from the platform erected for the ceremony. He led her around the stone altar to the front of the circle. The council of elders surrounded them, their solemn expressions replaced with joyful smiles. Jason stepped aside and watched as Maura was led by the council outside of the circle of monoliths to be greeted by cheers from the waiting crowd.

Her Aunt Nora, Vera, and several others, including her good friend Fen, greeted her with warm hugs and blessings. It was more like a festival than a funeral.

Swept up by the jubilation of the crowd, Maura seemed to lose track of time as the celebration continued. After what seemed like minutes but was more like hours, the crowd began to disperse into smaller groups with musicians and singers strolling through the knots of people singing songs and ballads that she had never heard before.

Lisa came up to Maura and grabbed her hand. "Great job, Maura! You are the talk of the village!"

Maura smiled meekly. "Did I do it right?"

"Perfectly, there was never any doubt." Lisa stood glowing with a cheery smile. She gestured to her left to introduce someone new. "This is Carl Truenock," she said with a wink. "I might have mentioned something about him to you before today."

"Hello Carl, it's so nice to finally meet you." Across the commons the burly stout figure of Yaol could be seen plowing his way through the crowds of people gathered to celebrate the occasion. Maura watched him walk towards her with a wry smile. Wherever Yaol went he seemed to leave a wake behind him.

"Thank you, it's nice to meet you too. Sorry about the circumstances." Carl followed Maura's gaze and glanced over his shoulder to see Yaol making a beeline for them. "Here comes Master Yaol. I have to get out of here before he finds me a dozen chores to complete before supper. I promised my father I'd help him with some mending around the house so I need to duck away. Maura, perhaps we can speak together at greater length tonight at the bonfire." Carl quickly darted away and melted into the crowd.

Maura turned to the others. "Bonfire?"

Lisa chuckled and leaned over to blow Carl a goodbye kiss. "Another Ravenswood tradition. Everyone gathers at a huge bonfire in the center of the commons following the ceremony of Akashic records." She shrugged and grinned. "Lots of beer and wine, joyful conversation, and perhaps a little dancing. It'll be fun."

Maura leaned in to whisper in Lisa's ear. "I can see why you're smitten with Carl, he's cute."

Lisa smiled winsomely and danced as she wove her way through the throngs of people still gathered in front of the stone monoliths. She passed Yaol as he wove past several members of the council.

"Congratulations, Miss Duranoc," he bellowed. "Today we honored a great man. It was my honor to have met him. He left us too soon."

"Thank you, Master Yaol," said Maura. "I'm sure he would have felt the same way about you."

"Yes, well, thank you." He turned to leave then shouted over his shoulder. "I expect to see you tomorrow morning on the training grounds, seven sharp."

"Yes sir." Maura bowed slightly as Yaol disappeared in the crowd.

"Come on, I'm hungry, let's see what Grandmother has prepared for dinner," Jason said, tugging Maura behind him.

[The Bonfire]

As she entered the center of the commons area a huge whoosh and cheer announced the lighting of the ceremonial bonfire. The blaze was spectacular; a massive structure piled with logs and kindling, helped the fire reach nearly twelve feet into the air. People were gathered around the fiery column, some chatting, some dancing to the tunes of minstrels, and many holding onto each other in a loving embrace. Jason and Maura danced and joked with Carl and Lisa.

Jason grinned. "You follow my lead remarkably well, Maura."

"My mother taught me these dances when I was six, it was such a happy time in our lives," she said, twirling around in Jason's hand as Jason bowed to Maura's curtsey. Joy and laughter filled every face around her.

"Look, here comes Grandmother and your Aunt Nora," Lisa said, while Jason wrapped his arms around his girlfriend to give her a hug.

"Maura," Nora said, smiling. "You two look marvelous together, where did you learn to dance?"

"Mom taught me when I was little."

"I wish she'd taught you, Carl, my feet still hurt," Lisa said, with a smirk.

"I'm trying my best," he exclaimed.

Lisa leaned forward and kissed his cheek. "I know you are, hey, let's get something to drink."

They walked over to a counter and ordered. Carl pointed to a cluster of people gathered around someone new. "What's the commotion over there?"

Across the ground, a single messenger stood trying her best to explain the present situation. "There was an attack, some Terrian marauders broke through the barrier and struck at the general store, two men outside were killed trying to defend everything, others inside as well."

"Who were they?" shouted someone.

The messenger spoke the names of the two who attempted to defend the store and Maura turned to weep into Jason's chest.

"They were always on the porch playing checkers, they didn't stand a chance, but they tried their best," the messenger said behind her.

She remembered seeing the two men just the other day, they were so cheerful, welcoming her and Jason to the store, she remembered the feeling of acceptance at the store and throughout the village. Why did it have to be them? Did she bring the marauders here? Were they trying to capture her again? Vera told her that the village was the safest place on Earth, but what about now?

Everyone at the bonfire gathered closer to the messenger and continued to ask a dozen questions. They were all concerned for the safety of their families.

"It was a small skirmish," continued the young messenger. "Four or five Terrian marauders jumped the old men. Them they tore the store apart, killing two clerks inside, and trashing much of the food goods before they left."

Yaol arrived, followed by several elders donning hastily gathered white robes. He handpicked a group of guardians to leave the bonfire festivities. Then he turned to Carl Truenock. "I need you to lead this, Carl, you're the most season veteran. Find the bastards and eliminate them." The young guardian nodded to Yaol, kissed Lisa, and joined the other guardians as bands of energy wrapped around them. In an instant they vanished from the center of the village.

Maura glanced at Lisa, her face a mask of cheerfulness. She remembered Lisa's words in the bathhouse the other morning; she recognized her need to remain stoic, offering a brave face for Carl, now more than ever. Maura marveled a her strength.

Xylia drifted through the throng of people watching the guardians leave. "Well, I guess it's better to be late than not at all," she said, with a snide tone. She turned to another small group of women healers. "I suppose Truenock is the best that Yaol could muster at such short notice. I wonder if he is able to protect the good people of Ravenswood."

Lisa turned to strike her but Maura reached out and held her arm. She hugged her firmly and whispered into her ear. "Not now, but soon." Lisa nodded and turned away from Xylia.

Maura held Xylia's gaze with a scowl. "Don't you have to be somewhere?" It was offered curtly, but given the circumstances and Xylia's flippant attitude, it seemed appropriate.

Xylia, her face frozen in an ever-present smirk, turned and faded into the background.

"Damn her and her ugly mouth," Lisa scowled. "I know I'm a healer, but right now, I just want to tear her apart." Maura wrapped her arms around her and hugged her tightly. "I know, Sis, just...soon it will be her comeuppance."

Miles away, as the sun began to set behind the far mountains, Carl and his band of guardians appeared and approached the store, the porch was littered with upturned chairs and tables, an old light fixture glared ruefully at the checkers and playing cards strewn across the floor, The bodies of two old men, piled in a crumple, gave evidence of their struggle.

Inside, the place had been ransacked with doors pulled off their hinges. There was scattered glass across the floor of broken windows and displays; along with several racks of clothing - overturned, and foodstuffs scattered haphazardly across the floor. Several more bodies were discovered behind a counter, stacked together, lifeless, their blood drained.

Outside, the bodies of the two old men, dead on the porch floor, seemed a grim reminder of the task that lay before them. Two guardians remained to cover their bloodstained corpses with large blankets taken off one of the store counters.

No sign of the marauders lingered as one of the guardians, a tracker named Seth, stood at the top of the stairs. He lifted his arms, turning slowly in the four directions. He sensed the presence of the marauders moving west, away from the store, on foot.

Bands of energy enveloped the guardians and they followed Seth's lead to find the Terrian marauders in a wheat field beside a dirt road a mile away. It was nearly dark now as the body of a boy, crumpled and lifeless lay nearby, his blood drained entirely from him. It was a testament to their cruelty.

Several guardians, infuriated by the senseless killing of a young boy, attempted to charge the Terrians, but Carl, a long-time veteran of battles with Terrians, held them back.

"Wait, these aren't young bucks looking for a diversion, they're seasoned soldiers. Charging in now will only get you killed," he whispered stridently, and they nodded, recognizing his council, as they returned to the shelter of the hill.

12