Rebooked

Story Info
He was only trying to help.
7.2k words
4.18
38.8k
39
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jmm999
jmm999
872 Followers

British English spelling and grammar.

This Brian character is so good, don't you think?

Rebooked

"Well I think Danny is cute." said Hazel.

"I'm not disagreeing with you." replied Brian. "I'm just saying cute doesn't get the job done."

"So, at work he's not doing well?"

"He tries, but lacks concentration. He makes mistakes, though he usually spots them in time and does that element of the job again. But he daydreams too much, and the team is just holding its breath, waiting for the big error."

"But he hasn't been with you long."

"True, that's why we give him some leeway. But correcting mistakes is making him slow. Then his work has to be checked, which in turn slows someone else down."

"You."

"Mostly me. And it's becoming obvious he doesn't like me. Which is not a good start - I'm the one showing him the ropes, and I'll be the one to assess him."

Hazel was preparing everything for a barbecue for the two of them. Everything except the bbq grille. Brian was scrubbing that clean and cursing himself for leaving it a week before doing so. They'd had his workmates round the previous weekend, and he'd had a few too many beers and forgotten it; now the black grime, was caked on hard. That had been the party where Hazel formed the opinion Danny was cute.

"I can't find the slotted spatula." she called from the kitchen.

"That row of hooks on the wall." he called back.

"It's not here."

Brian grinned and went in to help. He knew exactly where it was, and why Hazel couldn't find it.

"There!" he pointed.

"Oh yes. I didn't spot it; it's upside down."

"Yes. I washed it after this morning's omelette, and just hung it up like that - don't know why."

"Strange I couldn't see it though. It's right in front of my eyes."

"Not all that strange, you just looked for the handle at the top." Brian assured her. "It's the psychology of looking. You see what you expect to see."

At last the job was finished and they sat down with a glass of wine, while the coals got hot.

"So, why is Danny your problem?"

"Will asked me to take him under my wing for his three months' probationary period."

"Did he say why he chose you?"

"I might be reading more into this than I should, but I think he's showing a vote of confidence in me. There's a team leader post coming up soon."

"Oooh, is that the one in Brighton?"

"Yes."

"You talked about this a while ago. I checked with HR at my place, and they say I could transfer to our branch in Brighton, within six months of putting the request in."

"I remember, though I hadn't realised they'd guaranteed that."

"Well they did. It would be a pain us having to live apart for up to six months, but we could probably get together every couple of weekends."

"A small price to pay Haze. You know I saved my last two performance bonuses. And a team leader's pay, added to yours, would get us a mortgage. Brighton's a fun town."

"So you think that's why Will asked you? To give you the extra responsibilty?"

"Yes. At first I thought nothing of it. James mentored our last new bloke. But the thing is, Will called me into the office to tell me, and he closed the door. I got the impression he knew Danny was going to be hard work. I believe, if I do a good job, it'll be feather in my cap. He didn't mention the Brighton position, but talked about my being ready to take on more responsibilty, and he knows I want it."

"I think it's hot enough now babe." said Hazel. "You get the burgers on and I'll fetch the salad stuff."

"Deal. Can you bring the wine while you're at the fridge?"

Soon they were back on the loungers eating.

"Could this end up being a problem?" she asked.

"In what way?"

"Well, you said you're all waiting for Danny to screw up. Will it reflect badly on you if he does?"

"Strange you should say that. I voiced my concerns to Will only yesterday, and asked him pretty much the sane thing."

"And?"

"Well you know how he beats about the bush, so I had to read between the lines a bit. But basically, it wouldn't go well for me if he fouled up after his probation. It would look like I'd done a bad job with him. But if he does it soon, and I recommend he leaves, I'm covered. It would actually work well for me. Will even hinted I might have to be the one to tell him it isn't working out."

"That's a bit unfair."

"Not at all. Team leader is the first level of management. And the hardest thing for many managers, is firing someone."

Hazel poured some more wine and Brian got another burger.

"So how are you going to proceed babe?" she asked.

"I've had an idea. We're off on a maintenance call next week; to Brighton depot as it happens. I'll probably be away Tuesday and Wednesday. I've decided to take Danny with me."

"Clever. See how he shapes up."

"Exactly. I'll throw him in at the deep end and see how he copes. If he does well, it'll be just the boost he needs. Get him firing on all cylinders. But if he fouls up, we may have to call it a day."

"God, I hope he does a good job. I don't want to see him leave."

"I know, because he's so cute!"

"But he is; real eye candy. He made it obvious he fancied me of course. In fact he seemed to like everything about me; apart from my salad. He didn't touch that. And he certainly didn't give me the inpression he doesn't like you. He was singing your praises last weekend. Even called you his boss."

The sun was going down and they finished the last of the wine, both feeling mellow.

"I think he only did that when he'd run out of compliments for you."

"Do you think so?"

"I'm sure of it. He was playing you. In the office, he's always bragging about how many women he's had. We older guys just smile and don't believe it. We were all young once."

"Well I certainly didn't think he was playing me. It's just me being ten years older than him; he's curious. And what if he has had lots of girlfriends?"

"Have you stopped to wonder why? If he's fantasising the whole thing, he shows immaturity. If he keeps on losing real girlfriends, you have to ask yourself what he's doing wrong. And if he's just playing the field, his hands up your dress means he views you as another notch on his bedpost. Or on ours!"

"He did not get his hands up my dress Brian. Though I admit he went a little overboard with the groping. But I've flirted with your workmates before. I do hope guys don't have to serve time in your department before you think they're entitled to a kiss and a squeeze; that's elitist. And he is very handsome."

"I'm not elitist; I love watching you flirt. But I notice you're saying he's handsome now? Half a bottle of Sauvignon ago, he was only cute. Maybe we should open another; then you can tell me you'd like to sit on his face!"

Hazel laughed out loud.

"Now that would be good motivation for him. Tell him if he starts concentrating, and gets through the Brighton job error free, he can have a feel under my knickers!"

Brian laughed with her.

"It might work. He's already had his hands outside them!"

"What?"

"I wasn't that drunk Haze. I saw you dancing in the shadows. He got a good grip on your arse, and lifted your dress quite a bit."

"Well I was pretty drunk too. And it was his first time round our place. He'll have seen the other guys flirting with me - and you with their wives - and not realised where we draw the line. He's juat a horny boy - and a good kisser. I won't lie to you, I enjoyed it. And if you really wanted me to strip naked and sit on his face, I wouldn't say no. Providing he's naked too!"

"As our American cousins would say: 'I'll take that under advisement'!"

At work on Tuesday morning, they had a final briefing from Will. On the train down to Brighton, Brian reminded Danny how important his performance would be over the next couple of days. Their problems began that afternoon, at the hotel.

"Sorry sir, but we don't have a booking for you."

"Must be a mix-up." said Brian. "Can you just allocate any two rooms please, and we'll sort out the payment with our company."

"Sorry again, but we're full."

"One room with two beds? I'll use my own credit card."

"Fully booked I'm afraid sir."

"I see. Excuse me a moment."

Brian fished out his mobile phone, while Danny stood there, looking bewildered.

"Boss. Brighton branch are expecting us, aren't they?"

"Of course. They asked for you specifically; and I think you can guess why."

"Right. Only it appears the hotel... hang on a moment..."

The girl on Reception spoke to him in a whisper - then Brian resumed his conversation with Will.

"Right. We've just been informed that we're booked in for two to three days next Tuesday. The lady informs me that they're fully booked now, and have an arrangement for this kind of thing with another hotel. But it's more of a spa hotel, near the seafront, not as busy mid-week. Hang on... oh, and a bit more expensive."

"OK, sounds like a mistake at this end. Cancel next week's reservation and get her to book the alternative for you. Don't worry about the extra expense; we'll cover it. And taxis and so on."

Half an hour later, they'd dumped their bags in adjoining rooms and met in the bar. Brian was temporarily financing the whole trip on his credit card. The spa hotel had been reluctant to take a phone booking from an unknown company at such short notice.

"This is usually the most boring part, mate." said Brian. "All ready to go and waiting for tomorrow's start. We can't even get drunk. But this place is really classy. Fancy a swim?"

"I didn't pack any swimming trunks." said Danny.

"Me neither. But they've got a little shop through there that sells them, I'll treat you. When we get back I'll try and persuade Will to swing these on our expenses. It was our firm's mistake after all."

Brian called Hazel and let her know of their change of location. Soon he and Danny were lounging in the afternoon sunshine, admiring two young women in bikinis. They couldn't see them clearly, as they were lying face down on sunbeds. But what they could make out was already worth the extra expense.

"Are we allowed another beer on expenses?" asked Danny. "Or do we have to pay for our own?"

"We can have a couple more. But no wine with dinner. Got to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in the morning. Go and get two more. Just show them my key and charge it to my room."

He'd just left when the girls stood up. They looked very different, but both were stunning.

"You're missing the show Danny boy." Brian muttered.

They were wearing the same style of bikini, with ties at the back of the top, and the sides of the bottom. Now he noticed that the girl with jet black hair was wearing a white one, and the blonde was wearing black. Clearly this was no accident. There were a dozen other tourists lounging around the pool and these girls knew they were getting ogled. The busty brunette stood at the edge of the water and the slimmer blonde stood behind her and tied, or retied, her top. Brian wondered if she'd removed it while sunning herself. The blonde tapped her firmly on the buttocks to show she'd finished, and the brunette dived in, accompanied by the inevitable loud squeal. Once she was halfway down the pool, the blonde dived in after her, also squealing.

'Good job girls, everyone's paying attention now.' he thought.

"Come on!" called the dark one, now at the far end. She climbed out and made her way to the diving board. Even at this distance Brian could make out plenty of detail, through and around the wet material.

"Not for me." replied her friend. "I only wanted to cool off."

She turned and swam back to the steps right in front of Brian, and climbed out. As her hands grabbed the top rails, he spotted what had happened and jumped up, towel in hand. The girl hauled herself off the steps and he stepped forward.Brian approached her, holding out his towel. She frowned.

"Thank you, but I have my own towel over there."

"Look down." he said.

She did and shrieked. Then snatched the towel from him and wrapped it around herself. It slipped from her grasp but Brian caught it and secured round her waist. Her mate was watching the exchange and started swimming back.

"Very pretty landing strip miss, if I may so bold." said Brian. "But you possibly don't want everyone to admire it."

"Jumala! How embarrassing!" she said. "I didn't even notice. Thank you so much, you are a gentleman!"

"I think you got away with it. Nobody noticed."

There was a shout from the pool as her friend stood up. She was twirling a black bikini bottom around one finger.

"Did you forget something? Or are you not bothering with this any more?" she laughed.

"Except for your rather loud friend of course. I think she may have noticed!"

Her friend threw the pants at her and the towel slipped as she tried to catch them. Brian reached up and snatched them out of the air with one hand, grinning at her embarrassment. As he passed them to her, she dropped the towel completely and gave half a dozen onlookers a classic view as she bent down to retrieve it. He wished he's seen it. Then she tried to hold it in place with her teeth, while she pulled the pants on again. Brian gallantly held it closed for her, so she could use both hands. He got the impression she was tying the sides very tightly. Then they were invited to sit at the girls' table and Danny was dispatched for two more beers. When he got back, the brunette had joined them. The guys introduced themselves.

"My name is Helmi." said the blonde. "And I should thank you again Brian."

"And I am Lena." added her friend. "And I believe this is the first time Helmi has ever shaken hands with a man, after she's shown him her cipka!"

They all laughed. The girls said they were sharing a house on the other side of the city; both studying medicine at Brighton University. Lena's parents were quite wealthy and had sent money for them to have a relaxing week off, in the mid-semester break.

"Helmi, may I ask what you said when you first saw your, er, state of undress? 'Juma' or something?"

"Oh that, it's Finnish. Jumala means God. Like 'Oh my God' you might say."

"You're from Finland?"

"She is." said Lena. "Helmi is short for Vilhelmiina, which is spelled with a double 'i'!"

"Too much information!" said Helmi.

"And I'm from Poland;" continued Lena, "you can probably guess what her cipka is!"

"We probably can." agreed Brian. "I must say, it sounds much nicer than our word for it!"

"But I do not understand your 'landing strip'. What does that mean?" asked Helmi. "Is it because I stripped for you?"

Brian explained.

"No, no!" exclaimed Helmi. "I did nothing to my vittu hair. It always looks like that!"

"Wow, vittu hair! We're getting an exciting education in foreigner girls' pussies!" laughed Danny. "I should write some of these down."

Brian wondered how someone so coarse could get half the girlfriends Danny claimed he'd had.

Later, they all met for dinner, and naturally arranged themselves as a foursome. Observers would have supposed Brian was with Helmi. The girls insisted on paying.

"But we get this free." said Brian. "Our company pay for us."

"You could buy the wine then." suggested Helmi.

"Sorry ladies. We've had enough alcohol. Busy day tomorrow. We could buy you a bottle though."

"Well we are in this hotel till Sunday morning." Helmi continued. "How long are you guys staying?"

"Tomorrow will be our last night."

"Perfect! We all have dinner and wine tomorrow. Then we can spit... how you say...?"

"Split the bill."

"Yes!"

Soon they learned that Lena was on the rebound from a relationship. Danny's ears pricked up.

"She caught her boyfriend with another girl." said Helmi, smugly. "In her own bed too. I told her not to give him a key!"

"Yes, you were right. As usual Helmi!"

"It seems had his bits on one side!"

"Bit on the side." corrected Danny. "And I think he was crazy."

"Why?" asked Lena.

Danny looked her in the eye.

"If I had a girlfriend as beautiful as you, I'd never want a bit on the side."

He didn't even blush.

'Is that really how he does it?' thought Brian.

Later, Lena excused herself to go to the toilet. Danny asked if he could go with her, as he wasn't sure where it was. Brian knew he'd been at least once, and assumed he was making his next move. Once they were out of hearing range, Danny looked back at the table and said: "Can I ask a favour of you Lena?"

"Sure."

"When you pay the bill, do you need a receipt?"

"No."

"Then could you pay as if it's two couples? And get a receipt for you and me? My friend Brian has loads of money, but I don't. I can show the receipt to accounts at my company, and get the cash."

"No problem."

At breakfast next morning Brian laid his key on the table. Danny did the same with his. They were the old-fashioned metal kind, with a big orange tab showing the room number."

"No, tuck that out of sight, mate."

Danny sighed.

"Why? Now what am I doing wrong?"

"If the waitress sees twentytwo and twentythree, she'll charge us for a breakfast each. You don't want to stung for seven fifty when you check out. It easier if we do the whole thing on my card and I'll claim it all back when we get home."

"Oh."

He put his key back in his pocket, and scowled.

Later, at work, they were engrossed in the job.

"Ok, tell me what the setting is before I turn it on."

"Zero point forty." replied Danny.

Brian went across to him and checked the dials.

"We've been through this before. There's no such thing as zero point forty. It says zero point four."

"Same thing."

"No it isn't. There's a good reason we have two people on this kind of job. I need you to tell me the reading; then I'm not darting about from one place to the other. So it's vital that you're absolutely clear."

"You're just picking on me again. What's the difference?"

Brian grabbed a small notebook and wrote in it.

"What does this say?"

"Zero point four."

He added another zero.

"Is this the same reading?"

Danny hesitated.

"Yes."

"And what does this one say?"

"Four."

"Correct. And if I add a nought, is it the same number?"

"No, it's forty."

"Correct again. But I can add ten zeros after the four behind decimal point, and the value remains the same. So, when there's machinery running, I don't want to hear you saying forty, or four hundred. You say zero, point, four, and you do it clearly. Got it?"

"OK, OK, got it."

They had lunch in Brighton's staff canteen. There was not much conversation. That night, they had dinner with the girls again, and Lena slipped Danny a receipt.

Wednesday lunchtime the job was coming to a close.

"We can have a few beers tonight Danny. Nearly done."

"Good."

"OK, last one. Tolerance is between two point five and five. It'll be way off at the start. Ready?"

"Yep. Seventyone."

"Woah, I'll dial it down. Now?"

Danny looked at the display, which said thirtyfive. He was bored and pissed off.

"Three five."

"Result!" said Brian and threw the switch.

"I meant..."

There was a loud click and the lights went out. Brian waited for the emergancy power to cut in. He went and checked Danny's reading. The dial was on the move again, and crept up to thirtyfive, where it stopped.

"You fucking idiot! Anyone who hasn't just done a save, will have lost their work now."

"It did say three point five. This reading is different!"

"Come with me."

Brian marched to the general manager's office, with Danny in tow. He knocked, opened the door and.stuck his head in.

"Got a minute Ted?"

"Sure, what just happened?"

"Stay right here Danny." he said, and closed the door on him.

jmm999
jmm999
872 Followers
12