Recognition

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We collapsed after that. I untied her and helped her to get undressed and we laid together. "Thank you sweetheart, I needed that." Somehow it came across as guilty sex. Did she have something to atone for or be punished for? Or was I reading too much into it?

I came back to the present day, tonight was an award ceremony, but I had a feeling this one was going to be different. She was being awarded for her performance in the company and at the same time they were going to announce her promotion. That much had been let slip.

But things had changed. I popped in to take her to lunch one day. I had arranged it so she was expecting me. I waited for her in reception, and I got the message that she would be down straight away. Whilst I waited for her, I looked through a magazine and found some interesting pictures. About the time her attitude changed, she had been to an advertising industry conference; it was a couple of months ago. A magazine about advertising had been there covering the conference. There were photographs, there were people in them that I recognised. I took the magazine home with me.

The following day after she went to work, I had time to study the magazine and the pictures properly. They weren't the main subject but, but in the background. I could see her holding Gerald's hand across the table. There were two more, again they weren't the main subject, but they were dancing, they were close. He had his hands on her buttocks and her head resting on his shoulder. And finally, one of them walking down the corridor arm in arm. That one really annoyed me. I had been told I couldn't go to this event because spouses weren't allowed, however in several of the shots including the main ones it was plainly obvious that spouses were allowed.

So with the pictures and the lies I was pretty fucking pissed off and it would not continue. Tonight would be the night.

She got back from the hotel and I put on a brave face, I had my Dinner Jacket out ready, I had showered and shaved and was waiting for her.

"Everything set up alright?" I asked.

"Yes, everything is fine, all we have to do is turn up."

"Was Gerald there?"

"Errum yes, he was just checking up."

"Did you pass on my regards?"

"Yes, I did, why do you ask?"

"What did he say when you passed on my regards?"

She looked at me quizzically. "Nothing, why?" I chose to ignore her; I don't think she gets it.

I was downstairs waiting for her. She came down looking absolutely flipping stunning. I don't know how she did it in such a short space of time. "Have you got your thank you speech?" I asked.

"Oh, shit no it's still upstairs,"

"Don't worry I'll fetch it for you, I don't want you walking up and down stairs in those heels."

She looked a bit flustered. "Please don't read it, I want it to be a surprise."

I had already read it. It was just an outlined thank you to the team, picking up one or two exceptional performances and the reasons, but the last line got me. 'Thanks to him'. Which 'him' was she talking about? She will get a surprise either way.

Whilst upstairs I checked I had all the envelopes and bits of paper I wanted on me, hopefully I'll bring them home and put them through the shredder.

The taxi picked us up on time, but the atmosphere was cool as we drove to the hotel, each of us lost in our own thoughts.

We walked in, Gerald was there, he held his hand out, I shook it, we muttered banal greetings to each other. He then took Cheryl by the arm and led her to the table; I followed on behind. I could see people looking at me. I think some of them sensed from the look on my face this could be an interesting night. When we got to the table I managed to shoulder him out of the way so I could pull Cheryl's chair out. I leaned down and whispered in her ear. "You have one chance." I wasn't sure she heard me.

We sat at the table, I was next to Cheryl; Gerald was on her other side. His wife was sitting next to him on his other side. She was dumpy and a bit on the plain side, but she had on a bright red dress. I had the feeling she was as pissed off as me and just doing her duty, much like myself. On my other side was a wife of another senior manager, who when I told her I write reports for testing of aeroplanes simply blanked me.

The meal was good, but lonely, Cheryl spent most of her time talking to Gerald. Everybody around the table could see I was being ignored.

We came to the awards portion of the evening, and she got more and more excited when she wasn't 4th or 3rd and I saw her grasp Gerald's arm. At that I looked across the room to see a mate of mine standing there. He had two envelopes in his pocket, a buff one and a red one, he had been briefed.

Finally, the second place had been announced and it was obvious from her excitement that she got first place. Her name was called. I saw her gather herself together, she looked at me, smiled and stood up. She walked up onto the stage and up to the dais, for some reason Gerald followed her.

She accepted the award, she looked at the crowd and said. "This award is not just for me, it's for my team, Jules, a second in command who I couldn't have wished for better, she's been behind me all the way. Frank and Harry who have such wonderful ideas. And Geraldine who makes them come to life. The next round is on me."

A shout came from the floor. "We couldn't have done it without your help and ideas boss."

She smiled at that and carried on. "And I couldn't have done it without the help and support of a man who is dear to me." I started to worry. She pointed at Gerald standing next to her. "Without this man's help, I could not have achieved half of what I have done."

Right, decision made, she had chosen the company and Gerald over me and the children. I was really pissed off after all the shit I've been through for the last 14 years. She acknowledged him and not me, but I had to wait until she moved away from the microphone.

There was a general murmuring of agreement. She smiled at the crowd, clutching the cheque and the plaque she'd been given as she and Gerald headed towards the stairs at the end of the stage. However, I stood up and started a slow, loud hand clap. Her face looked down at me in complete shock, almost as if she'd forgotten I was there. Gerald just looked at me and smiled. My friend across the ballroom held up the buff envelope, I nodded. He walked up onto the stage and gave Cheryl the envelope. He kept the red one in his pocket. He said in a loud clear voice "Your husband asked me to give this to you." I thought she was going to faint. The room was deathly silent as she opened the envelope and you guessed it, it was a divorce petition. It cited adultery, although I had no proof.

I took the small envelope I had and slid it across to Gerald 's wife. "You might find those pictures interesting."

I walked across to the table where the CEO was sitting with his family and entourage, I pulled out the enlarged photographs and threw them in front of him where he could see my wife dancing close with her boss and his hands on her backside, the hand holding and them walking arm in arm up a corridor. I then placed an envelope in front of him.

I turned to the crowd and said in a loud voice. "If you don't know me, it's because I'm never introduced. I'm the husband, but most of you probably don't know that. You probably don't know that I look after our two children so she could come here and work for you. You probably also don't know that I supported and loved her when she couldn't get a job that used her degrees and spent 12 months selling shoes. I spent hours underneath the car fixing it so she could go to job interviews. I taught her to drive. I gave up a job I loved so she could pursue her dreams. I clean, I cook, I washed dirty nappies and I get no thanks in return for 14 years of support." I pointed up to Gerald. "And this twat, this Johnny comes lately gets all the recognition." I waved my arm about to encompass the whole room and the people sitting in it. "And you lot ignore me. Well, next time you get on an aeroplane to go on holiday or a business trip, it's people like me who make sure that it gets to where it's going and doesn't fall out of the sky. I don't make lots of money, but I help make air travel safe." I paused and there was silence.

From up on the stage, she looked at me, "Please sweetheart, not here."

"Why not, you have humiliated me so many times in front of all these people, I've lost count. Tonight, the only time you talked to me was when you told me to pass the pepper, you didn't ask, you didn't even say please, you told me. At company functions you spend all your time with your team and your boss, and completely ignore me until it's time for me to drive you home. Everybody sees the way you treat me. Well, no more."

"Please sweetheart, I can make this better." She was crying, her makeup was running.

"Remember the second time we met the reason I told you that I didn't want a relationship was that I don't like having my heart broken, you stroked my face and said. "I would never do that to you.

"Well, you've managed it. You nearly broke my heart when I saw those pictures of you holding hands and dancing close to him." I pointed at Gerald. "There may have been a reason for that. But what finally broke my heart was you putting him before me and standing up here telling everybody in this room, including me, he is more important to you than your husband of 14 years. So, I'm taking my broken heart home to start a new life. Oh, and you will have to find a babysitter for next week so you can go to work."

Looking round the crowd. "Right if you lot will excuse me, I've got to go and start a new life." I really need a drink now.

I walked towards the bar, there was a hush broken only by the sound of Cheryl crying. She had chosen, she had a chance, she blew it. Had she acknowledged me and not him then she would have got the other envelope, I would have accepted if she acknowledged both of us. I got to the bar and asked for a large vodka tonic and one ice cube.

The room was still very quiet. Stunned. Cheryl was on the stage crying and Gerald had his arms around her. I shouted from the bar. "Don't they look cosy up there?" The next thing I know there was a lady in a red dress shot onto the stage and delivered almighty smack across Gerald's face with her handbag. He went down, it was like she had a house brick in it. That was missus Gerald.

Then all of a sudden, the CEO was standing beside me. I wasn't expecting that. Monday or Tuesday next week maybe, but not now. Clutching the pieces of paper from the envelope which mentioned 'toxic work environment', 'sexual harassment', 'dereliction of duty' and all sorts of stuff that my solicitor could think up. We even borrowed the American. 'Alienation of affection'. None of them were viable accusations, I didn't care. I wanted to scare people. My solicitor told me that it would be quite expensive. I let him know that when I get my half of the sale of the house, I would have plenty of money to pay him. He pointed out to me that Cheryl would probably get custody of the children. But I could fight it as I was the main carer at home.

Well, looking after two children will put a dampener on her career wouldn't it. I told him no, I'd done my duty for the last eight years, now it was her turn, I asked him to make sure I got decent visitation rights. He said as I had been the main carer, he didn't think that would be a problem.

The CEO was all flustered, he asked me what he could do to make this go away, waving the envelope and papers I gave him. What I heard was how much would it take? Those were his words.

I looked at him and said, "You can't throw money at this and have it go away, you allowed those two to have an affair either in their office or a hotel room that you were paying for. I'm still not 100% sure where I stand legally, but she will soon have two children to look after. I hope you've got some sort of nursery or flexible working scheme."

He started "No, no I don't mean money, what can I do to stop this." He said holding up the papers.

"Why are you asking me how to fix this? It's your company, it should be your decision, not mine. If I tell you what to do and you do it and it all goes wrong, you can dump some of the blame on me. So no, you come up with a solution and if it's acceptable, my lawsuit may go away. If it's not, I would try to buy up every Thursday local newspaper you can lay your hands on." I had let slip the scandal to the local rag, they were checking their legal status before they published anything. In fact, the mate of mine who delivered the letter was one of their journalists. Sometimes it's useful to have friends. It wouldn't be on the front page. It probably wouldn't draw more than a paragraph or two on the inside pages, but publicity of this kind is never good.

I looked at the stage, the petite lady in the red dress was shouting at both of them. My wife was in tears, I thought she was going to collapse. The room got very silent as I walked across to the stage still clutching my Vodka tonic, although most of it was gone by now. I got to the front of the stage. Cheryl looked at me.

I said to her, "If you look in the back in the documentation you will see there is a restraining order for you to stay 500 metres away from me and the house. I suggest you phone your parents or your sister or maybe stay here. But I warn you now if I find you sleeping with another man before this divorce is final, I will screw you for every penny I can. You earn twice as much as me, you will be paying me maintenance." Pretty much all empty threats, but I wanted to worry her. It was hard work getting that restraining order, there was no real reason, but my solicitor managed it.

With that I walked away. The CEO caught me at the door with another chap, he smelt like a lawyer, he looked like a lawyer. They looked bothered. I think some of the edge had been taken off their evening. Lawyer man started, he put his hand out. "I'm Philip Wilkinson, the company corporate lawyer. Do you mind if we call on you tomorrow?" I wasn't rude, I shook his hand.

"Yes, I do, if you want to speak to me, you need to speak to my solicitor first. Cheryl has the details." With that I turned and walked out. It was a cold taxi ride home. As I left the mate of mine who delivered the buff envelope came and gave me the red one. I thanked him, we both left feeling a little sad.

It was Sunday the next day and I thought I had better start getting the house tarted up ready to sell. I was going to collect the children from the grandparents and tell them what was happening. It will be important because it was their daughter I was divorcing. My mobile phone rang several times. It was from Cheryl's parents. I gather they got the news. I ignored it

I'd made arrangements to pick the children up at four o'clock, so I started painting the front door. We really should have replaced it with a UPVC one years ago, but I just didn't get around to it. I heard a car pull up, I didn't turn and look. I heard doors close, and not just one or two.

I heard a 'Hurmph.' from behind me, I turned. There was the CEO, Phillip the lawyer and stood behind them was my wife and her boyfriend. Oh, fucking brilliant now they've come to rub my nose in it.

"Harold, can we talk please? Sort this out?" It was Phillip speaking. When I looked a little closer, they were all looking a bit rough around the edges, except Gerald who looked fresh, apart from the bruise on his face.

I stopped and looked at them and said. "OK I'm all ears, you have two minutes. And then I'm calling the police because she shouldn't be within 500 metres of me, and you've bought the two of them together, my soon to be ex wife and her boyfriend to rub my nose into it. So, I don't think it's going to go well, do you."

I don't think they had seen it from my point of view. Quite rapidly my wife and Gerald took a pace apart. "You've got one minute 30 seconds left." I got my phone out.

The lawyer started. "We think we can resolve this if you give us a chance. There could be a substantial rise for your wife if this goes away, we would find employment for you at an advantageous rate. It will include medical insurance and life insurance. We would like you to get back with your wife and to make the lawsuit go away. Would you like to think about it?"

I reckoned it was about two minutes now. "So, you want to buy me off, is that your solution?"

"No." He said, "not really, it's just recognising the situation that may have been allowed to arise, and how we can put it right." He emphasised the 'may'.

I pointed to my wife and Gerald stood behind them. "Are they still going to be working together?"

"Yes, they're a team and they have an important contract negotiation going through at the moment."

"Then you have your answer." With that I turned round and walked indoors slammed the door behind me. I went to the window. I must remember to open the front door before the paint dries and seals it shut. Phillip's jaw hung open. He's a corporate lawyer and he wasn't used to dealing with this sort of thing. They probably should have got a family lawyer. I got my phone out and took pictures of them including my wife and her boyfriend within 500 metres of me. It would also be recorded, including sound, on the security cameras.

Halfway down the path Cheryl turned and came back up, she looked up at the camera. She knew it recorded sound as well. "I told them that wouldn't work, you have more integrity than that to take a bribe. I do love you and I made a mistake, I'm sorry." with that she turned and walked back to the car. She got in the front with the CEO.

I went to collect the children, Cheryl 's mother was crying, her father was sad. We didn't talk much but they did tell me that she spent the night there with them. I asked where she was now. They didn't know but guessed she was at work trying to sort this mess out, and she knew I was coming and had to be 500 metres away.

The children were a little confused, I told them that me and their Mum had had a bit of a tiff. Susie asked if we were going to get divorced, she'd seen it happened to a lot of her friends at school. I didn't sugarcoat it. I told her maybe; it was too soon to tell. I was pretty certain it would resolve itself in the next week one way or another. There was still a way back for her, but she had to find it.

It was one o'clock on Monday when the phone rang, it was my solicitor. "Harold, are you available for a chat with the opposition at four this afternoon?"

"That was quick. Have they given you any idea what it's about?"

"They say they have an alternative solution after the visit to your house yesterday. I think they're a bit bothered."

"OK I'll be there. What do you have to do if my wife violated her restraining order?"

"I will report it to the court, and I'll take a note of it, do you have proof?"

"Yes, I have a video and photographs."

"Right, I'll see you at four then. Bring all your proof with you."

I got there early, I would like a brief from my solicitor on what to say and, more importantly, what not to say. It may not do any good, but it might give me a fighting chance. The problem was I had no proof they'd actually had sex together. But I was pissed off at being ignored for years and worse since twat face got here. We had a great life until he turned up and they got allocated together on this project.

My solicitor asked me what I actually wanted from this, I explained to him I wanted the company to feel the pain, but I didn't want to do any real damage. It employed a lot of people and the money they brought in was good for the town. I wanted to give my wife a chance to heal the damage she'd done, but if she didn't. I wanted a divorce. She would get the children, I wanted the best visitation rights I could get. She could buy my half of the house. We would split the investment accounts and savings in half. I did not mention the money I had made from the stock market trading; no one knew about that.