Red Tsonia & the Jungles of Madness

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's funny," Joras yelled. "The farmers have the opposite saying about droughts."

Ambrose didn't laugh. He abandoned the tiller to swing wildly to and fro at the whims of an angry ocean and joined Joras at the rail. Reaching into his soaking tunic, Ambrose tore a large key from the lanyard around his neck and forced into Joras hand.

"Go below and free the oar-slaves," he shouted. "None of us may survive, but I'll not condemn them to certain death. I've got to tell the crew to save themselves." With that grim instruction, Ambrose drew a brass-hilted cutlass and fought his way forward against the tide of the raging storm.

The terror Joras had been wrestling with broke free and he felt its oppressive weight on his chest, buckling his knees and squeezing the air from his lungs. He'd faced peril and death often enough since he had decided to follow Red Tsonia on her quest for fame and glory, but always at the hands of a foe that could be defeated. How does one slay a storm? He could not depend on the unmatched prowess of his muse to save him this time. It was up to him.

Joras summoned what courage he could find, and steeled himself to the task at hand. After Kelgore's ship had been rammed, the crew had all gone to fight and had left the oar-slaves to recover their strength. Below his feet were fifty souls chained to their benches and Joras alone held their fates quite literally in his hand. Willing himself to release his iron grip on the rail, he charged across the pitching deck, lost his footing and tumbled through the open hatch and down the steep flight of stairs.

He landed with a splash and clambered to his feet gasping for air in waist-deep water. If the maelstrom above was chaotic, the bedlam below was nightmarish. The howls of terrified men in the sightless dark drowned out the creak and groan of the stressed timber and the splash of churning water. The slaves pulled at their chains and beat at their restraints with chunks of broken wood or even their raw flesh. They knew Tyrant's Blade was sinking, and that they had been abandoned to die.

"Where are the locks!?" Joras cried over the din, desperately trying to get someone's attention. "I have your key! By the gods, where are the locks?"

As the water continued to rise, sloshing from side to side as the forsaken ship rolled in the angry storm, Joras was blindly herded towards the bow. With grasping hands guided by barely coherent cries of instruction, he found a stout padlock securing a heavy brass chain. It ran the length of the ship, passing through the shackle of each slave manning the twelve upper oars on that side. Fitting the key by touch, he turned it and released the chain.

With a frantic jangle of metal, the first lucky group of oarsmen freed themselves and clambered over each other in a frenzied flight for the hatch. Those who remained bound wailed for their release even louder than before as Joras sought desperately in the dark for a matching lock on the opposite side of the hold. He found it at last, fumbled with the key, and was rewarded with a satisfying metallic clank.

But as the second group of slaves fled the doomed vessel and the water crept up towards Joras's chest, he realized with horror that the men on the lower banks of oars were secured with their own chains and locks, locks that were fastened under the churning floodwaters. Trapped below the benches of the upper oarsmen, the lower slaves were unable to even stand fully, and craned their necks to keep their shrieking faces above the rising water.

Taking a deep breath, Joras dropped below the surface and found himself battered about by the surging flood. He clung to any handhold he could find in the dark, groping blindly for the hidden lock with the taste of metal on his tongue as he clenched the key in his teeth.

His lungs began to burn and he feared his quest was in vain. His instincts screamed for the surface and life-giving air, but his will dwelt on the plight of those men who had no hope beyond him. Just as his will was foundering and his fear grew beyond his control, Joras's fingers found the familiar curve of a padlock ring. Feeling for the keyhole with his thumb, he gracelessly jammed in the key and managed to turn it just as his instinct drove him back to the surface.

There was no time to catch his breath. He had to go back for the key he'd left behind before he could even begin to search for the last lock. The inches of air that remained for the agonized men bound to the last oar benches waxed and waned as the waters sloshed back and forth with the rolling of the storm-tossed ship.

And so back down Joras went, but in the swirling currents of the flooded hold he found that he had no more idea where to find the lock than he had the first time.

Panic and guilt gripped Joras's heart as he clawed desperately in the dark for the missing key. Had he really been so foolish as to lose it? Why had he not held his breath but a scant second longer? He endured the agony in his lungs to his very limit but had to come up for air empty-handed. The pitiful pleas of the doomed men that filled his ears sent him right back under the water with barely a breath.

Then, through the crude woodwork he clung to, Joras felt more than heard the terrible creaking of timber and the shattering of the ship's beam. He was suddenly seized by a mighty current that tore away his grip and flushed him tumbling through the dark water head over heels into the ravaged ocean until he lost all perception of up or down.

Lungs aflame with need, Joras thrashed and fought in vain, weighed down by his sturdy traveling clothes and heavy orange cloak. He felt his consciousness collapsing, his limbs growing heavy, the water seeping towards his lungs. As the silence and the blackness took him, Joras found some small justice in knowing that he shared the same fate as the chained men he had failed.

And suddenly there was blinding light and thunderous noise and wracking pain in his chest as he hacked and sputtered on the surface of the turbulent sea.

"I should never have mocked your garish wardrobe!" shouted a familiar voice over the prattle of the rain. "The orange of your cloak is the only thing to be seen in this downpour!"

"Kaela!" Joras gasped! "Gods be praised!"

Tsonia dunked Joras back under the water before he had found breath. "I've told you not to call me that," she admonished when she'd pulled him coughing back into the air. "And don't give thanks too soon. This storm is ravenous, and we are still in its maw."

With powerful strokes, Tsonia dragged Joras through the rolling swells to a broken chunk of flotsam and there they clung as the witch's storm raged around them.

****

The first thing Ambrose saw when his senses returned was the war goddess, now a malformed, headless husk of bronze sitting astride a bent ram pointing at the churning skies above. Coughing up briny water, he forced himself into a sitting position and tried to comprehend the enormity of the destruction surrounding him.

Tyrant's Blade was no more. The prow, reinforced as it had been, loomed like a macabre monument over the bone-white beach he had found himself on. Dark shapes had washed up on the sand, splintered planks, scattered bodies, their limbs and spines twisted and broken, gulls pecking at their remains. Nothing seemed to move apart from the clouds overhead and the waves rushing up to meet the sand, occasionally depositing another piece of flotsam on the shore.

Ambrose had been through his fair share of catastrophes, some self-inflicted, some visited upon him by his enemies or the capricious nature of the sea. None had even come close to the horrors he had witnessed in those last, lightning-struck moments. Torrential waves had washed men overboard screaming. Both ships had broken apart under the churning sea's relentless assault. Ambrose too had been ripped from the deck of his trusty vessel into the pitch-black maws of the raging ocean and battered between broken timbers.

Somehow, he had survived. The denizens of the deep didn't fancy his soul this time. They didn't let him off easy either.

Moaning softly, he clutched his throbbing head. His fingers found a long gash along his temple. The cut was shallow but burned like the fires of hell. Breathing hurt too. With trembling fingers, Ambrose examined his sore rump, encountering bruises and cuts but thankfully no broken bones. Carefully testing his limbs, Ambrose fought to his knees and then his feet. His left ankle ached when he put weight upon it, but then his whole body sang in pain.

Grabbing half an oar to steady himself, he dragged himself up the beach, away from the greedy ocean. Maybe fifty yards ahead, a veritable wall of green awaited him. Towering trees, sail-sized leaves and vines promised a nigh-impenetrable thicket, probably rife with sharp-toothed predators longing for easy prey. And beyond those viridian fortifications, spitting an ominous plume of smoke, a steep-sloped volcano loomed.

Ambrose sighed. Finding his way off these inhospitable shores would be no easy feat. He had to assume he wasn't the only survivor and there was a good chance that others might be Kelgore's men, out to finish what the storm had started.

Now further away from the crashing waves, Ambrose could hear other noises too, most of them unsettling and ominous. Echoing screeches or howls emanated from the jungle and a low, sonorous rumble seemed to come up through his feet, announcing that the volcano was much less quiet than he had hoped. His hand went to the sheath at his belt, but his prized blade had vanished in the maelstrom, torn from his fingers by the ravenous waters.

He cast his gaze about in the vain hopes to spot it or something similar nearby, now keenly aware that he was among the few things moving on that beach and therefore easily spotted by friend and foe alike. Cursing his ankle, he hobbled back towards the shoreline, aiming for the closest pile of debris. There was no storage chest, no rack of weapons with blades, spears and axes to be found. Only a couple of pews, their construction sturdy enough to withstand a slave revolt were close at hand. A section of hull was still bolted to them. Ambrose couldn't tell if it was a part of Tyrant's Blade or Kelgore's ship. There were no bodies he recognized either way. Sighing, he sank onto one of the pews, taking weight off his aching leg.

Once more the stranded captain gazed at the sky. It was hard to tell the time of day, with the clouds roiling overhead. Even worse, it was hard to tell where he was. They had followed Kelgore's ship along the Xhastrian coast before the pirate had steered away to the west, towards the open seas and out of the reach of the Green Cities. There shouldn't have been any land in that direction, not even scattered islands were marked on the maps he had memorized so well in his years at the helm of Tyrant's Blade. Yet here he was, on an unfamiliar beach with one leg impaired, no weapons to speak of, and a growing feeling of vulnerability and unease creeping up his spine. He would need food, water, and shelter to survive, warmth to dry himself and weapons to guard against his enemies, be they two- or four-legged.

About to resume his trawl of the beach, he steadied himself for the inevitable stab of pain from his ankle when he heard voices coming closer. Muffled by the thick wood between himself and the voices, he couldn't tell friend from foe. Bating his breath, he allowed them to pass him by, his body hidden in the shadow of the torn hull.

And then Ambrose's heart leapt with joy, for the scarlet tresses he saw could belong to only one person.

"Tsaugh--" he croaked, not realizing how dry his throat was, or how blistered his lips. "Tson--" he tried again, but loud enough now to be heard over the crashing surf.

Tsonia turned, and Joras with her. Both were sunburned and blistered, crusted with salt and sand. Joras leaned heavily on her shoulder, his footsteps faltering in the loose sand. Her hands were bloody to the wrist, and in one she carried a sandy thigh-bone that Ambrose preferred not to contemplate. Yet the smile that graced her lips was perhaps the loveliest thing he had ever laid eyes upon.

"Do not try to speak," she whispered when she had come back close enough to be heard. Her voice was dry and hoarse as well, but she gently sat Joras down upon the bench and leaned the two men into each other for support. The bloody femur she placed in Ambrose's hand, closing his fingers around it like a cudgel.

"Look after each other," she wheezed. "I'll find water and be back."

From his shoulder, Joras unslung an empty water gourd in a woven hanger, its stopper dangling by its tether. They must have found it washed ashore among the wreckage, or perhaps bobbing along with them as they drifted on the waves. Just as Joras handed the gourd up to Tsonia, they all looked up with a start.

From the jungle came the sonorous rhythm of drums.

"Where there are people," Tsonia said with a smile, "there must be water."

***

The jungle canopy cast dancing shadows across the surface of the rippling pool that filled the hillside hollow. It was broad and deep, fed by a gurgling spring and surrounded by moss-covered stones and twisted tree roots. From the low end of the pond a trickle of water overflowed its basin and tumbled splashing down the hill, through the jungle, and eventually across the sandy beach to the sea. The small stream was too shallow and too sparse to slake a dying man's thirst. Any who wished to drink deeply would have to follow the water upstream to the spring.

And so by the spring, Kelgore waited.

"The drums are moving," he said. "They were coming from that direction. Now they're over there."

"No, not moving," came the reply. "Different drums. Different people. Only the message moves."

Kelgore thought about it and admitted silently to himself that it was probably true.

"We should go. We should seek out those drums and turn the natives to our cause. Perhaps they can return us to civilized lands."

"No," answered Kelgore. "We wait. Any of my men who wash ashore will find their way here. I would rather face the natives with a loyal force at my back."

"It's dangerous. Any of the sell-swords who wash ashore will also find their way here."

"Then I will turn them to my cause or they will die." Kelgore thumbed the blade of his knife before securing it snuggly back in its sheath.

"Don't be a fool, boy! You let your prejudice for culture and sophistication blind you. You were born to rule over all men, not just the civilized sheep of the Green Cities. Find these natives and lead them to the throne that is your destiny!"

"Quiet, mother!" Kelgore snapped. "Someone's coming."

The old corne's severed head sat wedged in the crook of a tree branch where Kelgore hid watching the jungle pool. For too long the old witch had brow-beaten his obedience, but the tables had turned. It was she who was now dependent upon him. If he chose to feed her to the gulls or the fish, there was nothing she could do about it. He smirked with that confidence. Ignoring her scowl, he turned his attention back to the approaching footsteps.

Through the jungle thicket across the pond, he spied her red hair first. He recognized her immediately, the vixen-warrior who had cut down his mother in cold blood and condemned them all to these savage shores. Unless he missed his guess, she was the mercenary known as Red Tsonia or Bloody Tsonia depending on who spun her tale. Kelgore once thought it presumptuous that she should take the name of the ancient warrior queen, but having seen her quality in person, he thought it might be apt afterall.

"Kill her!" hissed his mother, beneath the drone of the beating drums, the calls of tropical birds, and the rustle of the foliage in the sea breeze. "Avenge me!"

"Shh!" he insisted.

The flame-haired warrior spied the pool of sweet water and broke into a run. She dropped to her knees and scooped double handfuls to her mouth, letting the excess spill down her chest and stomach and thighs. When she had drunk her fill, she took an empty water gourd from her shoulder and plunged it bubbling beneath the surface.

When she withdrew the gourd, Kelgore saw her hesitate before plugging it with its stopper. She looked back over her shoulder, then turned to face the drums in the distance. She sat for a moment in contemplation and then poured the water slowly over her own head, rolling her neck and massaging the clean water through her salt-stiffened hair.

Tsonia closed her eyes, luxuriating in the cool water that rinsed away the ocean's residue.

Kelgore saw his chance to ambush her, to strike swiftly in her vulnerability, but he tarried.

Tsonia filled the gourd again to finish rinsing her hair. She wiped the sand and grime from her face, and poured the last of the water down her chest. Kelgore could feel his manhood swell as Tsonia laid the gourd aside and pulled the ragged chainmail vest off over her head, exposing her ample breasts.

"I would have her," he murmured, as she bathed her bare shoulders, chest, and midriff by the burbling jungle spring. "I shall turn her to our cause and I shall have her."

"Fool!" spat his mother. "This is no fish-monger's daughter, no doe-eyed waif. She is demon tainted, much as you were."

"Yes," agreed Kelgore, feeling the lust rising in his chest as he watched Tsonia bathe. "But just think of the grandchildren she could give you."

"Dozens of bellies swell with my grandchildren all along the Xhastrian coast. How many grandchildren do I need?"

"My mind is set and I shall not be dissuaded, mother. Now be silent, or will feed your tongue to the gulls!"

"You've grown insolent since that bitch killed me," he heard her grumble under her breath, but she said no more.

Across the pond, Tsonia filled the gourd again, then stood and began to unfasten the chainmail skirt that hung from her shapely hips. Kelgore felt a certain satisfaction when he saw her jump as he stepped out from the cover of vines and thicket. He held his hands empty at his sides, but there was a hypnotic twinkle in his obsidian eyes.

"You can be none other than Red Tsonia," he called to her. "I don't think we've been properly introduced."

Her eyes roamed over him, taking his measure. They lingered on his groin for a heartbeat before wandering higher, meeting his eye. Before he could exert his formidable will through his demon-tainted eyes though, she bent low and poured water from the gourd into her palm, continuing her bath. Kelgore exhaled slowly. Dumb luck made her evade his beguiling gaze this time, but there would be ample opportunity.

"Sneaking up on me while I'm bathing isn't the wisest course of action," Tsonia said, her wet hands roaming her muscular thighs.

"And yet, you seem oddly at ease for being naked and helpless," Kelgore said.

Tsonia poured more water, slowly rinsing her hips and the faint tuft of mousy brown fuzz covering her femininity.

"What makes you think I'm helpless?" she wondered. "In less than a heartbeat, I could be at your throat, gutting you with that knife on your belt and you would be helpless to stop me."

Kelgore closed his hand around the bronze-wound hilt of his knife. "Then why don't you? You were sent to kill me, were you not?"

Unperturbed, Tsonia washed her sex, her face hidden by her unbound mane of fiery tresses. "Indeed. The God-King gave me ample reason to slay you on the spot. But until I know how to return to Xhastria to claim the reward, I'd rather not have to carry around a decaying corpse." Her head came up, flashing a cocky smile.

Kelgore cleared his throat, ready to employ his charming voice as he'd done so often with officials and paupers both, nudging their inhibitions aside, making them listen to what Kelgore deemed reasonable. "I might be willing to follow you," he crooned, his sultry voice reverberating in a certain way. "There is no reason for us to be enemies, at least not for the time being. You will find me a very willing hostage. Let it be said that Kelgore knows how to please."