Red's Wolf

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sawyer? What are you doing out here? Colleen's link sounded out of breath.

I considered just running, but thought better to get the embarrassment over with. I'm out running. What are you two doing out here?

Fucking.

Geez, that woman didn't miss a beat. Lovely. Well, I'm going to go find a less disgusting part of the forest. My wolf huffed in agreement, though another part of us was a little more curious.

Suit yourself, virgin. Colleen snickered.

I rolled my eyes and took off into the pines. They really were going to single-handedly double the pack population if they kept at it like that. I knew some wolves preferred to mate in wolf form because it was a base instinct, something that felt natural. Or so I'd been told. Colleen and Keith however, liked to usually go at it as humans because from her account, oral is too difficult with snouts. Yeah, she's an over-sharer.

My paws pounded the earth as I sniffed out a running trail that would take me further around the perimeter. Finding a path, I sped up and howled with glee. The acres of land that made up the pack territory were mostly woods, but occasionally broke into wide meadows. I enjoyed the run, grinning at the familiar landscapes and scents. A few patrols passed me going the opposite way, huffing quick greetings as they padded by. It was a peaceful morning.

By the time I'd worn myself out, it was well past lunch. I dodged my mother by sneaking in through the back door, grabbed a sandwich from the kitchen, and bounded up to my rooms. The phone was still sitting on the coffee table but I forced myself to shower before looking at it. When I emerged with a towel around my waist, my couch was occupied.

"Good solid text! I thought you might want help, but you've got game, girl! She sounds excited."

"May, what are you doing?"

"I'm bored, so I came looking for company, but saw your new phone-"

"Wait, she sounds excited? Does that mean she responded?!"

May grinned and held the device out for me to see.

Scarlett: Dinner would be great! Thursday work for you?

_ _

As I stood outside the little Italian restaurant in town on Thursday evening, to say I was nervous would have been a criminal understatement. My palms were slick with sweat and the collar of my dress shirt felt like it was choking me. May had riffled through my entire closet and forced a pair of charcoal gray slacks on me. My one shirt she deemed dressy enough was pale blue with small silver buttons up the front and on the cuffs. I'd assumed, apparently incorrectly, that my black sneakers would be appropriate. May had spared me one horrified glance before she pulled out an old pair of Callum's dress shoes. Luckily they fit well enough and the scuffs on the top were minimized by a little shoe polish.

"This is pitiful!" She'd told me as she watched me tie the shoes. "If you're going to be dating someone we need to update your wardrobe. Sweats are not appropriate dinner attire."

"I know," I grumbled as I tugged on the plait she had woven my hair into.

"Keep your hands out of your hair, Sawyer!"

"May, this is too much. I look ridiculous."

"No you don't. You look very handsome. Now come here and put on some perfume."

"Ack, no way! If I put that on, that's all I'll be smelling all night." May had managed to get one good spray at my neck before I dodged out of the way. "You're gonna send me there smelling like a freaking bouquet! It's gonna scare her off immediately."

"Sawyer, she's human. Her nose isn't as sensitive as yours. It adds a nice touch and covers up the wet dog."

"I don't smell like a wet dog," I'd mumbled in protest.

Of course, May had won on all fronts. So there I stood, itchy, anxious, and smelling like rose and patchouli. I loved that my brother married such a proud, strong woman, but sometimes she drove me nuts. All of my discomfort evaporated the minute I saw a stunning redhead making her way down the street towards me.

She wore a knee-length red dress that hugged her ample chest and flared out from her hips. Her hair was in its natural curly state falling just below her shoulders with one side pinned back with a silver clip. She wore black ballet flats and seemed to sway as she made her way towards me. Her scent hit me a second before she arrived. I had to cover a cough as she too was wearing perfume. It was nice, if strong, but I hated it because all I wanted to smell was her: peaches and honey. She came to a stop right in front of me, beautiful with a full face of expertly done makeup. I secretly thanked May for forcing me to dress up.

"Y-you look gorgeous," I stuttered.

Her pale skin blushed pink, "Thank you," she smiled. "You look great too."

Shaking off my momentary stun, I offered her my arm and escorted her into the restaurant. It wasn't very busy for a Thursday night, so we were seated immediately and our orders taken, leaving us to our conversation. We talked lightly about simple things like the coffee shop and our day. It was so easy to keep conversation flowing with her and her bright smiles and occasional laughter made my heart sing.

"Right now I have classes three mornings a week and then I work in the coffee shop every evening. I should be done by next year and then it's all about applying for jobs." She twirled some pasta around her fork and sighed. "Realistically, I know I'll have to work under someone for the better part of a decade before I'll be allowed my own kitchen."

"Wow, that's a long time."

"Yes," she chuckled, "And I'm not very patient. But it's what you have to do. You have to pay your dues first, get the right connections and experiences, then cross your fingers and hope."

"What's your favorite kind of food to make?" I asked, twirling my own fork.

Her eyes lit up, "Oh I love cooking all types of food! That's why I haven't chosen my specialty yet. I don't think I could be a pastry chef because baking isn't my favorite. I really do love roasts and rubs. Sometimes I think working at a steakhouse would be best for me. Though Italian food is my favorite to eat. Carbs, you know?" She gestured at her plate.

"I definitely love carbs,'' I laughed as I took another bite of my bread.

"What about you? Any plans to leave the nest?"

"Um, not at the moment. Working for my pa- uh, tribe is great. They pay me a fair wage for the vehicle maintenance I do and I get home cooked meals every day."

She scrunched up her nose with a teasing smile, "Ah, so you're spoiled?"

"Ha-ha, but yeah, a bit."

"So how big is your tribe? I've seen some of them around town, but it's hard to guess numbers."

"Oh, uh, we have about sixty families on the property I think? Somewhere between two hundred seventy and three hundred people who live there full time. More are scattered around the state."

"Wow."

"What? Bigger or smaller than you thought?"

Scarlett paused with her fork halfway to her mouth and stared at the table for a second before looking up at me, "I'm not sure." She burst out laughing and I couldn't help but join in.

When our laughter subsided, I asked, "What about you? What's your family like?"

"Oh, my brother and I were raised by my grandparents. They're a couple of hippies. They raised us on their little farm with goats and marijuana plants. Actually, they still live there. It's about 40 miles east of town, kinda the middle of nowhere. They're both in their eighties now but still running the farm, goats and all."

"Do you see them often?"

"Probably not as often as I should. But more than my brother. He was not a fan of the goat farming lifestyle. He works some big corporate job in Albany now."

"Wow, I can't imagine being that far away from my siblings. Do you talk to him?"

"Not really," she admitted. "I think the last time we spoke was at Christmas? He sends me a card on my birthday, but he doesn't really talk to us anymore. Apparently, he tried to help grandma and grandpa get some money invested but they weren't interested. Said that the goat business is gonna help them through retirement." She shrugged and took another bite.

"I don't think I've ever seen a goat farm in action. What do you do with them?"

She paused while sipping her wine, "What do you mean what do we do with them? They're goats. We feed them, clean them, milk them, and sell them."

"You milk goats?" I asked skeptically. "What do you do with the milk?"

"Honestly Sawyer,'' she laughed. "How do you not know anything about goats?! You can do everything with their milk that you can with a cow. I assume you know what people do with cow's milk?"

I blushed, "Yes we raise cows on the reservation. I guess I've just never been around goats. I've seen pictures of them though, their eyes freak me out." I took a big swig of my wine and shuddered.

"Did you never go to a petting zoo as a kid?"

"No. Petting zoos aren't really my family's style."

"Wow, never been to a petting zoo," she said to herself. "Do you know what my grandparents did with the marijuana? Or should I explain that to you too?" she teased.

I tossed a napkin at her, "Thanks I can figure that one out, though."

We chatted some more through dinner and I paid the bill, despite her protests. Leaving the restaurant, we found the cool night air had descended into more of a chill. She didn't complain though as she climbed back into my bike and donned my spare helmet. I pulled my leather jacket around her shoulders and she blushed as she thanked me quietly.

"All good?" I asked her before climbing on myself.

She nodded, "Thankfully I chose this dress instead of the black one," she laughed. "I'd be giving the whole town a show in that."

"You'd probably get arrested for causing a few heart attacks,'' I teased. I heard her laugh, muffled by the helmet. "Alright, hang on!"

Taking off slowly at first, I let the bike build speed gradually. We drove through the nearly empty streets. She'd given me her address which was quite close to the restaurant and coffee shop, but I took the longer way around town, weaving through the streets, mostly an excuse just to feel her close. My wolf was practically vibrating with pleasure at having our mate touching us. Not wanting her to freeze, though, I eventually made my way back toward her building. It was cute, if old. Parking right out front was easy as there was plenty of empty space. We climbed off the bike together, her demurely adjusting her skirt as she hopped onto the sidewalk.

"Thank you again for dinner," she smiled.

"My pleasure. I'd- um, I'd love to take you again sometime?"

"I'd like that."

I beamed as I walked her to her door. She pulled her keys out, but paused for a minute to look into my eyes. Goddess, she was beautiful. I took a deep breath...then another. Unfortunately, when I finally got the courage to lean in and kiss her goodnight, I got a snout full of that strong perfume which caused me to sneeze...right into her face.

"Ugh, I'm so soooo sorry! I cannot believe I did that. I'm sorry Scarlett! I just- your perfume, and. Oh goddess, I'm so sorry."

To my relief and mortification, she laughed. "Well that's the first time a date has sneezed me goodnight!"

"I'm so sorry." I buried my face in my hands and peeked at her through my fingers.

She waved her hand in the air, "Oh don't apologize. Best sneeze I've ever gotten!"

My face was crimson, "You're terrible."

She kept laughing, "Are you allergic to me?"

"I guess it's just your perfume. I usually don't do well with scents."

She leaned in quite boldly, and sniffed my neck, "You go for something more musky?"

"Ugh, that was not my decision." I dropped my hands, "My sister-in-law is desperately trying to domesticate me."

Her eyes sparkled with mirth, "And how's that going?"

"Terrible. I'm barely house trained. But at least she'll lay off me when my niece and nephew are born."

"Oh! I love babies!" She bounced on the balls of her feet happily, "When is she due?"

"Any day now. She's huge."

To my surprise, Scarlett slapped my arm, "You do not tell a pregnant woman she's huge, Sawyer!" She admonished me playfully.

I nodded while pretending to hold my injured arm, "Yeah yeah, I know. Not to her face anyway."

"You're impossible," she giggled.

"And yet here you are, letting me kiss you goodnight " I grinned.

"Hm...I don't remember getting a kiss. I remember getting a face full of snot."

"That's more intimate."

Scarlett barked a laugh, "Well, before you put any other bodily fluids on me, how about that second date?"

"Saturday?"

"Yes." She gripped my shoulders and stood on her toes, pausing a second with her lips just inches from my skin, "Just checking," she teased. Then her ruby lips connected with my cheek and I rocketed into the stratosphere.

"Goodnight Sawyer."

"Goodnight Scarlett,'' I said dreamily.

She disappeared inside and I hopped back onto my bike. I took off into the night, feeling the adrenaline course through me. Snaking my way down the curvy roads out of town, I howled with joy into the night. When I got to the highway that led out to the reservation, I opened up and sped down the smooth road, chasing the wind. She kissed me. Yes it was on the cheek, but a kiss!

_ _

Saturday dawned bright and cold. I was excited to see Scarlett, so I texted her to tell her just that. She responded a few minutes later with something similar and I floated down to breakfast. However, I quickly fell off my high cloud as I picked up on the tense atmosphere in the living room. Mom was rushing around gathering random objects, Dad and Luke were pacing, and Callum and May were conspicuously absent.

"Is it time?"

Mom broke into a huge grin, "There you are sleepy head! Yes, May is in labor. It's still pretty early, but hopefully today is the pups' birthday!" Just then, May's mom burst through the door and smiled hugely at my mom. They both took off at a run up the stairs with their gathered gear and without a goodbye glance.

"What do we do?" Luke whined as he crossed dad's path in their pacing circles. "I wanna help, I wanna- I don't know. What should we be doing?"

I chuckled at his nerves, "The moms have this handled," I assured him. "They'll call for the doctor when it's time. Let's go for a run."

Luke let out a sigh of relief, "That sounds good." Dad waved us off, intending to stay and work. Luke and I stripped on the porch, shifted, and took off into the woods. The frozen ground felt great under my hot paws and the running helped calm my own nerves. My little brother had more of a bounce in his run, a product of his own extra energy.

Let's go to the lake. I bet it's frozen! Luke communicated to me. We looped around the trees and headed for the clearing. My mind wandered back to the lodge, hoping May wasn't in too much pain.

Babies. Two of them! I loved kids, but what would it be like with two little ones in the lodge now? Colleen's house was pure chaos twenty-four seven with all her kids running around. I loved to visit, but would I be able to handle that all the time in my own space?

Truthfully, I wanted a family someday. I was used to people always coming and going from my house and that joy was something I wanted for myself, though without the pressures of running the whole pack the way my parents did. My mind wandered to Scarlett. Did she want a family? She said she liked babies. I tried not to imagine what she would look like as a mom, but I failed. Goddess, she'd be a hot mom.

Ice! My dirty train of thought was derailed by my goofy little brother. We arrived at the lake to find it was indeed covered with a thin sheet of ice.

Stay off it, Luke, that's not strong enough to support you yet.

I knooooow, he whined. But soon we'll be able to play hockey!

I chuckled at his enthusiasm. We took turns running circuits around the lake and racing through the tall, dead grasses. Our bodies were much more relaxed when we hobbled up to the porch, exhausted and sweaty, fur covered in burrs, a couple hours later. Dad wasn't in the living room when we entered, but we could hear quiet chatter from May and Callum's wing. I was beginning to think I should cancel my date since there was still no sign the pups were close.

"Guess we're still waiting," my little brother sighed. I chuckled and ruffled his hair.

"It's probably going to be awhile, kid. Let's get some lunch."

By five, I knew I should call it. I headed upstairs to grab my phone and ran into Mom.

"Honey, why aren't you dressed? Don't you have a date?"

"Yeah, but I'm going to cancel. I don't want to be out in case the pups come."

At that moment, May came charging out of the room. Her face was red and sweaty and her hands were supporting her lower back. She had on a short blue nightgown and a pair of tennis shoes. "Sawyer James!" She bellowed. I cowered. She made a beeline for me once she spotted me. "You are not canceling your date! These kids will come just fine whether you're here or not. So go woo your mate!"

"But May I-"

"But nothing! You can meet them when you get back." She looked down at her stomach with a glare, "If they ever decide to show up!"

I started to protest again and she honest-to-Goddess growled at me. That was all the assurance I needed.

"Okay I'm going, I'm going!"

May rubbed the sides of her belly and nodded, then she hobbled down the hallway mumbling to herself about walking the pups out. Callum came out of the room looking more disheveled than I'd ever seen him.

"Hanging in there?"

"I'm not the one having the kids, Sawyer," he said flatly.

I rolled my eyes, "I know that, asshole. But your wife looks more put together than you do."

He shouldered me out of the way and followed May down the hall to walk. I love my brother, I do, but dude needed to take a chill pill about every hour of the day. I took my opportunity to run to my rooms and get dressed to meet Scarlett.

Gassing up my bike at our pumps took just a few minutes, then I was off toward town like a shot. It wasn't too cold, but I'd packed an extra jacket in the saddle bag just in case. When I pulled up to her apartment, Scarlett was already waiting for me by the curb.

"Hi!" She called as I shut off the bike. She was wearing navy blue leggings and a big, puffy brown coat. Her red hair fell in curls and frizzes over the sides of the hood. When she waved I saw she had on knit, yellow mittens.

"Hey," I smiled as I climbed off. She bounced over to me.

"I dressed warmer this time. Can we ride around a little before going to eat?"

My heart lept a little, "Of course!" I pulled an extra helmet from where I'd strapped it to the back. It was Luke's that I'd borrowed from his bike, but the size would be perfect for her. I just crossed my fingers and hoped it didn't smell like Cheetos.

"Thanks!" came her muffled response as I helped her don the helmet and climb onto the bike.

Having Scarlett's arms around me as we drove out of town and down a long winding road that went around a lake had me convinced this was somewhere like paradise. The sun was setting behind a layer of puffy clouds and some frost was settled on the trees we passed. I thought of that scene in Field of Dreams where the dad asks "Is this heaven?" and Kevin Costner says, "No, it's Iowa."

When I got to kiss Scarlett goodnight after our second date, it went much better. Her lips were impossibly soft and slightly sticky from the lip gloss she'd reapplied after dinner. She tasted like peaches and pizza, which is better than it sounds.

"I had a really good time tonight," I murmured into her mouth as her fingers toyed with the hair on the back of my head. I held her close to me, my hands over her jacket, but still able to feel some of her warmth at the small of her back.