Reflections of Night and Day

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

~~~~~~~~~~~

A resounding beep echoed throughout the darkened apartment. It was immediately followed by the deeply concerned voice of a friend.

"Aurora-sweetie, it's me, Maya." The sigh which filled the air, warned of her fears, her sadness. "I'm worried about you, girl. It's been a week and no one's heard from you. I've tried going by your place and I never get an answer."

Maya's voice shook as she struggled not to cry. "If you can just give someone a call. . . even if it isn't me. . . just let someone know that you're okay. Please. I love you, sweetie. Bye."

Wearily, Aurora lifted her head. She stared to the blinking light meant to remind her of her best friend's call. Had it been a week, she wondered. She reached upward and roughly massaged her eyes. With the blinds drawn, the passing of day to night had gone unnoticed.

Aurora sighed and rose to her feet. She stumbled over the papers scattered about the floor of her bedroom. Her eyes didn't need to look to see what they were. She knew. Upon each page was a story of a missing woman in the hopes that she might discover something on Selene Wolf, but each story proved to be a disappointment. There was no mention of the woman in red.

She had done her best to find information. She had even tried to contact the police, but that proved fruitless. They looked into what Aurora had seen, but once she had contacted them, their investigation into the matter soon left her out of the proverbial loop.

The one thing she had successfully managed to discover was the origin of the few lines within the letter.

Staggering toward the bathroom, the young woman surprised herself by slipping into the shower. She performed the task of bathing with an unconscious knowledge of the world around her.

Aurora rested her head against the cool tile of the shower wall. The fog of her mind cleared for only an instant to allow the face of a beautiful woman to return to her. She saw the almost tranquil expression upon Selene's face in the moments before she fell.

Looking for Selene had caused her to run into dead-end after dead-end. As far as the simple option of a phone-book listing, there was nothing. If Selene was from the general area, she had flown under the radar of life and had made herself unavailable.

Aurora stepped out of the shower and thoughtlessly wrapped herself in a large bath towel. The soft fabric encircling her body brought little comfort. She gazed deeply into the mirror now covered by the effects of steam. Her hand smoothed away the area of her eyes. She peered into those eyes, seeing not her own eyes, but the eyes of her mysterious Selene.

"Who were you?" she whispered.

Her hand remained poised at the mirror. She splayed her fingers out, unconscious of her hand's readiness for the fingers it longed to have intertwine with its own. Her pleading brown eyes closed. She felt a powerful ripple race along her spine. Quietly, she gasped. Her hand hovered near the mirror with a name ringing in her ears.

Blindly, she traced her finger along the mirror's surface. The path explored by her finger left a momentary break between the dew anointing the shimmering plane. She lowered her hand. There before her eyes remained the image which had recently come to haunt her dreams as much as Selene.

She stared heavily upon the outline of a lotus, wondering what it meant. Suddenly her brows knit together into a frown.

Aurora raced back into her bedroom. Falling to her knees, she scoured through the disheveled remains of a week long hunt. The newspapers carpeting her floors were torn at with violent disregard. "It's got to be here," she muttered. "I know I saw it."

Her breathing all but ceased as she found the image she had been searching for. Nestled within the advertisements for various restaurants and nightclubs lived a blood red square. In its heart lay a solitary black lotus.

"This is it," she whispered. "This is the lotus in my dreams."

Her eyes searched intently through the remainder of the newspapers. She had hoped to find more information on the secretive symbol, but there was nothing. The only clue left to taunt her was the occasional black on red insignia.

Frustrated with what was turning into a fruitless search, Aurora sighed. "Fate pulled me into this. It has to help me now."

She rose from the cool hardwood floors then crossed the room to her closet. She opened the doors and stepped inside. Though her mind had not quite caught up to the intent of her hands, she retrieved her clothing.

Aurora pulled fitted leather pants upon her sculpted legs. The sound of her heeled boots kissing the floor was a distant echo. Still very much lost in thought, she crossed the room again and found a black satin bra within her lingerie drawer. She slipped into before donning the raven shirt so fitted to her body. The feel of the fabric hugging her lengthy throat and tickling the spans of her arms only to end two inches beyond her wrists contradicted the freedom of the air kissing her naked stomach.

Standing at the mirror, Aurora tended to her makeup with the perfectionist nature of an artisan. The smoldering intensity of her kohl-lined gaze brought thoughts of Selene. She gazed more heavily into the mirror, forgetting that it was her own stare which met hers. Her fingers brushed through her long hair one final time. Then she immediately left her bedroom.

Grabbing her wallet, her sunglasses and her keys, Aurora left her apartment. She wasn't sure where she would end up. She only knew that she had to try and find this elusive symbol and its meaning.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The hottest clubs within the city were all rooted within this area, but something told Aurora she was in the wrong part of town. She listened to the steady approach of techno drawing nearer. Her head turned to the left just in time to see a black Mustang pulling up alongside her.

The woman driving the car was dressed in a red dress so dark it bordered on black. She played absently with the choker at her neck. As her eyes met Aurora's, she smiled.

In the dying light of day, she removed her sunglasses. That simple act had revealed light blue eyes, but more importantly had created a level of intimacy to pass between them.

There was a lengthy moment of silent exchange before the woman's full lips parted again into a smile. She mouthed the words which inspired a sense of intrigue.

"Follow me."

Aurora arched her brow curiously then nodded to the desirable brunette.

At the moment that the light changed green, the Mustang pulled in front with a growl. Aurora followed closely, determined not to lose this woman once she recognized the symbol she had been searching for positioned as a sticker on the Mustang's bumper.

Night was coming. They left the posh hub of restaurants and clubs. In their dance of follow the leader, they swerved through the bustling traffic of people looking to have a good time. They played question/answer with the definite snarls of engines revving at traffic lights. Soon, they left what could only be described as the good part of town. They found themselves in the more gritty underworld where shadow touched everything.

Aurora began to take notice of more stickers. Whenever she was caught in her observance, a beautiful woman would smile and mouth the words, "Follow me."

It became painfully clear to her that the reason that no one could ever find any word of this mysterious club was because it was not advertised. Knowledge of it came through invitation.

Within minutes of her observation, the Mustang ahead turned into what appeared to be a run down parking garage. Aurora watched curiously as a woman stepped out of a small booth and listened to the brunette. She noticed the manner in which the woman ahead of her motioned behind her toward her car.

Slowly, the attractive security guard nodded then began walking toward her car.

Aurora moved her hand away from the steering wheel to open her window. She remained slightly wary as the woman leaned forward and observed her from behind mirrored sunglasses.

Extending a small card with the emblem on it, the woman spoke. "You've been given a one night pass by one of the members." She smiled. "Enjoy it because not everyone gets invited back." She tilted her head and added, "but something tells me you'll be different. You're one of us, I can tell."

Accepting the card, Aurora nodded in understanding. She tensed slightly realizing that the guard hadn't let go of the other end. "Yes?" she asked softly.

The guard blushed behind her glasses and let go of the card. "I'm sorry," she laughed bashfully. "You just really remind me of---" Her voice trailed off. She backed away from the car, motioning her in. "Have fun."

Wondering what the woman had been about to say, Aurora pulled forward. She parked alongside the brunette leaning against her Mustang. As she slipped out of her car, she heard the sound of heels echoing within the garage as the woman drew closer.

The brunette didn't utter a word. She merely began to walk with a seductive sway toward what appeared to be a broken down elevator. She slipped inside then held the doors open for the auburn haired woman following.

Once her guest stood hesitantly at the doors, she said, "Trust me. Nothing here is as it seems."

Aurora put aside any reservations she might have had and entered the lift. The moment she stepped inside, she realized that the elevator was quite modern, but simply made to appear old. She watched the doors close then felt their descent.

"Welcome to the Black Lotus," a female voice purred over the speakers.

When the doors opened at their stop, the brunette took the lead. She stepped into a glistening black hall with a red carpet running down the center. Along the walls were lights, the very semblance of old-fashioned lanterns with wavering flames. She stood there bathed in their gentle glow and extended her hand.

"Coming?" she asked.

Aurora stepped out of the elevator. She moved alongside the brunette, reveling in the excited butterflies somersaulting within her stomach. "Is the Black Lotus beneath the garage?"

"No, if you drive a little past the garage you will see an abandoned grocery store. This entire block is owned by the club. That seemingly innocent grocery store has been reinforced and soundproofed. No one walking by would ever know that it's the roof of a club." The brunette paused then pointed upward. "We're actually crossing the space between the garage and it. The Lotus is actually a lot of underground cellars, bomb shelters and storage compartments renovated into one large club."

Aurora gazed ahead to the blood red double doors. She could just begin to hear the sound of music filtering to where they were.

"Someone has to recommend you for membership," the brunette said as they drew closer to the entrance. She pushed open the doors to the club, revealing a world of enigmatic shadows and a seductive lure around every corner. With a smile, she motioned Aurora inside. "Explore your new haven." She paused adding, "And if you should like a bit of company. . . my name is Ember. I'll be the one recommending you."

~~~~~~~~~~

A siren sang her song. It echoed within these walls, an eerie melody rising and fading within waves of throbbing beats and seductive strings.

Aurora was lost among them, a face among a sea of faces, a body pressed within the warmth of fevered others writhing to the music. She closed her eyes, her arms snaking above her head while her hips swayed seductively to the beat. Her fingers ran through her hair, revealing her expression of rapture.

From the large loft staring down to the dance-floor, a figure emerged from her home within the shadows. She grew detached from the throngs of people moving around her. Her piercing brown eyes had grown engrossed by the auburn-haired woman who like herself appeared to be alone within a crowded room of others. The black dress ending mid-thigh, hugged her every line. She settled into her stance, unaware of the catlike nature her body possessed. Her hands rested lightly along the cool railing as she continued to watch the woman below.

A hand lightly touching itself to her arm woke her from her reverie, but only slightly.

"Do you know her, Selene?" Ember asked.

Ever the voyeur, Selene tilted her head in study, sending a cascade of raven tresses crashing over her graceful shoulder. "No," she answered softly.

"Perhaps an introduction would be in order."

Everything within Selene wished to steal a moment with this woman, but she could never bring herself to be so bold. She turned her head slightly, speaking to her friend over her shoulder. "You know I don't work that way."

"Of course not, Selene. You just watch, right?"

Before she could respond, the presence at her side had faded away. Selene sighed darkly then returned her eyes back to her savior. "Why did you save me?" she wondered scarcely above a whisper.

Just then burning eyes lifted to meet hers. She took in a sharp breath then withdrew, both inwardly and outwardly. She found her home again in the shadowy nature of the loft.

Aurora froze. She had seen her. "Selene," she breathed.

A hauntingly beautiful song made Aurora's very core tremble. The first line of the song had been an echoing tease which left you aching for more. It was followed by a sultry breathing which taunted the ears. The line came to be repeated before it as well as the lines to follow found their home within the nether reaches of the loins, reverberating with acute clarity. Then lost in a tantalizing duel, the songstress and provocative pulse courted one another. Until at last, their mutual climax captivated the entire club, stirring every person within these walls to move.

As the song rang throughout her depths, Aurora broke free of the swaying multitude. She maneuvered through the masses, brushing through bodies slicked by perspiration. Hurriedly, she ascended the steps running along the wall. When she had reached the loft, she was greeted by the watchful eyes of curious women.

Tables intimately lit were the havens to women engaging one another in conversation. Some groups laughed boisterously while others huddled close to one another in meaningful exchanges and others still could not deny themselves the simple pleasure of touch.

Selene held her breath while she watched the auburn haired woman walking cautiously among the others. She willed herself to be at one with the shadows around her though her fingertips ached to run through the soft hair she witnessed glistening beneath the lights.

Aurora stopped at the railing in precisely the spot she had seen Selene. She gazed down as the woman in the raven dress had done. A sense of uncertainty filled her as she thought that within Selene's haven, Selene could hide indefinitely. She gave a vulnerable frown. Then sighing, she wondered aloud what she should do.

Tensing, Aurora remembered the image of Selene's upturned facing gazing into her with the chaotic sea at her back ready to swallow the woman whole. She closed her eyes tightly as doubt crept inside her mind. Perhaps, she hadn't truly seen Selene. Perhaps, it was the delusion of a troubled mind. Then, again...

She lifted her leg over the railing. She climbed over the side, gripping to the railing tightly. Her eyes stared forward, seeing the sea. She ignored the clamoring around her, forgetting the gasps, screams and murmurs of the club.

Several women throughout the club pointed to the woman in black. The club breathed a collective sigh of relief as ivory softness encircled Aurora's waist.

Aurora looked over her shoulder after feeling the arms around her waist grip her firmly. "I knew you wouldn't let me fall," she whispered.

Selene's eyes were ripe with emotion, an emotion which she tended to always carry safely beneath the surface. "You have too much faith in me," she responded quietly.

"Or you don't have enough in yourself," Aurora retorted. She surprised both, Selene and herself, by leaning forward and resting her forehead to that of Selene.

Holding the woman in her arms more fiercely, Selene released a wavering breath. She pulled Aurora over the railing and to safety.

They held one another with a familiarity that went far beyond this moment. It bordered upon possessive. Around them, the world fell away.

They parted just enough to take in the other. As if mirroring one another's movement, they caressed the other's cheek. Their eyes mapped over the surface of artistic and defined features. The hue of their skin was slightly different, but Aurora knew that once it had been the same. As they each tenderly held a lock of hair in their fingertips, they took note of another difference.

Selene smiled softly. It was a patient smile. "I dye it black," she admitted.

Aurora returned the tender smile with one of her own. She wished to ask how Selene had seemed to know precisely what she was thinking, but there was no time to ask. A woman appearing over Selene's shoulder interrupted their moment together.

"Selene," the woman spoke. "You are needed downstairs."

Selene nodded then returned her eyes to the woman held within her arms. "I don't even know your name."

Aurora held the eyes so dutifully focused upon her. She read their struggle, knowing that just as badly as she wished to remain with Selene, Selene desired to stay. "Aurora Hunter." She paused looking to the woman who had summoned Selene before her eyes returned to the dark-haired mystery. "I know that you have to go, but can we. . . I mean. . . will we---"

Reassuring her rescuer with her eyes, Selene nodded. "We will see each other again, Aurora." She slowly began to take a few steps back. Her eyes remained locked on Aurora as if to hold on to the moment for a few precious seconds more. "Meet me at our special place. I go there every morning after work."

Nodding in understanding, Aurora watched Selene go. "I'll be there," she promised.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Dawn was filled with such promise. Its soft light lovingly woke the earth. To Aurora, who sat hugging her knees upon the cliff where so much could have ended, life seemed to have granted her some sort of reprieve. She felt the distinct approach of a new beginning, but realized all the more that this new beginning came to be embodied by the woman quietly coming to sit beside her.

Selene stared forward to the sun-glistened sea. She smiled adoringly. "I love this time of day," she spoke softly. "It's so peaceful."

Aurora looked away from the ocean. She gazed instead to the dark-haired woman. There was a flash of Selene in red. She tensed with the sadness that consumed her whenever she thought of that beautiful woman slipping from her hands. "Then why?" she asked hoarsely. "Why choose this place to---" Her voice trailed off and her eyes immediately lowered.

"Why choose this place to end my life?" Selene asked, finishing what Aurora could not say. She was answered by a subtle nod.

Selene sighed. She stared down at a patch of grass battling desperately to live. Her fingers began to nervously pick at each blade. "I really wish I had some powerful answer that would make everything suddenly make sense, but I don't. The truth is that more than anything I wanted to see this place one more time, to see one more sunrise." She lifted her head, hoping to catch Aurora's eyes. "I never thought that you would find my letter and then stop me."

Aurora frowned as her head rose. She was a bit startled to find that Selene's eyes were so intensely fixed on her. The question weighing heavily on her mind was almost banished by the beauty of those eyes. She forced herself to hold onto it long enough to utter the words in a bit of a stammer. "And who am I, Selene?"

Tears rose within brown eyes in a mixture of emotion. Clearly expressed within their depths were a number of questions, but only one left Selene's trembling lips. "Don't you know?"