Rekindle the Fire from Dying Embers

Story Info
A suspected affair leads to renewal.
3.4k words
4.2
6.7k
10
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Rwg7
Rwg7
223 Followers

Not a lot of sex in this story. It is not a reconciliation at all costs story but it nonetheless a story about saving what remains of a tattered and strained relationship. It pure fiction. Enjoy!

--------

I often wonder how many Literotica readers with long term relationships see themselves in these stories. Surely many of us remember the fire of passion we felt as our relationships began and how the fire dies down till only embers remain. If we are fortunate we will recognize this happening in time to correct it, before the embers become cold, grey ash. The difference could be whether your story ends in the Living Wives category or the Romance category.

After a few weeks of reading Literotica stories I began to see certain patterns in stories around cheating. Things like fragile male ego, boring sex at home, business trips, handsome bosses etc. were included in most stories. Then there were the telltale signs, working more overtime, spouse either wanting more sex than usual or less, girls night out, increased effort to look sexy in dress and makeup.

Eventually I recognized that some of these things were present in my real life partner.

Trish and I married 20 years ago. I thought things were okay between us but the bloom was definitely off the rose. My business, William Bentley Ltd. was an import and export company and it was doing very well. So well that Trish was able spend her time volunteering at our local hospital.

Trish is still an extremely beautiful woman. I really lucked out when I met her. She is fun, vivacious and has a wild sense of humour. Working at the hospital ticks all the boxes with her skill sets. Above all, she is deeply compassionate.

We were very passionate in the early days of our marriage. We couldn't seem to get enough of each other. As time moved on our passion seemed to wane just a little bit. It reminded me of the old joke about the three stages of sex in a marriage, tri-weekly, try weekly and try weakly. Lately she just wasn't as interested. To be honest neither of us seemed overly interested.

Trish had been getting longer hours volunteering at the hospital. She explained that there was a shortage of volunteers. She would often come home late, take a quick shower to freshen up and get changed into a track suit for the evening.

She had always dressed well but she wasn't a clothes horse. Lately she had been shopping more often and the clothes were definitely in the sexier side. She explained that as she was aging she felt frumpy and dressing up and looking her best made her feel better about herself.

The volunteers she worked with were all women. Most were older than Trish. Most were seniors.

I recognized some of the signs that she might be cheating, but I didn't really know what to do. I dreaded making an accusation without evidence. I didn't want to hire someone to follow her. I did however have a client that imported medical equipment from Germany. He was a doctor and worked at our hospital. I asked him to meet me for a coffee.

Dr. Tim Andrews and I met the following morning at a cafe.

"Tim, thanks for meeting me this early. This is a personal matter and I would appreciate your discretion."

"Of course Will, how can I help?"

"Are you familiar with the volunteers at the hospital?"

" I see them every day. They are some really dedicated people."

"Have you ever seen or heard of any flirtatious behaviour among them?"

"Come on Will, they are all senior citizens. Well, all except one. I think her name is Trish. She is a fine looking woman. I think she has been seeing one of our surgeons, and I don't mean professionally."

"How so?"

"The usual, lunches together, sometimes dinner. Rumours are that they have spent time together in unoccupied rooms occasionally. Why the interest?"

"Who is the surgeon?"

"Dr. Fred Sterling, why?"

"Trish is my wife."

That ended our coffee meeting. I swore him to secrecy.

I thought long and hard about what to do and how to do it.

I could hire a P.I. And get some solid evidence.

I could simply file for a no fault divorce. I could suck it up, realize that I have had a hand in her possibly seeking comfort in another man's arms and try to win her back. I came to the decision that a blindside would not work. If I accused her with the rumours our marriage would likely not survive. I needed to find out how far the relationship had gone.

That afternoon I texted Trish.

"Can we have a hot dinner date tonight? Laramie's at 9?"

"Really Fred!? After our talk this afternoon?"

"Fred? Trish, this your husband, Will."

There was no indication that a reply was being composed. Holy shit! I couldn't believe she thought the text was from Fred. Finally maybe five minutes later I got this reply.

"Sorry, we got busy there for a moment. I was dealing with a doctor whose name was Fred and it was top of mind. I knew it was you. Why the dinner date?"

"I just thought we hadn't had a night out for a while. We are due."

"Okay, can I meet you at the restaurant?"

"Perfect, if I remember the way you dressed this morning it will be perfect you looked hot!"

The meal was fantastic. We had never been to this place and it had been highly recommended but expensive, if I was going to fix things it was worth it. We had wonderful conversation, probably talked more that we had all month.

We walked the downtown street towards the lot where our cars were parked. I stopped outside of a small jazz club.

"Let's have some fun." I took held hand and led her into the club. We sat at a small table and ordered wine. The musicians were great. We finished our wine and I asked her to dance.

"Really? We haven't danced in ages."

"It's like riding a bike honey, you never forget."

Holding her close as we danced felt comfortable but sadly it had been years since we had danced like this. It felt wonderful, it felt warm, intimate and erotic. She molded herself to my body. I could feel all her curves. My hand slipped down her back to the top of her butt and back up again.

"That's nice," she purred.

Before long she was well aware that I was fully erect and as hard as I had been in years. She strategically walked in front of me to hide my excitement.

We had another glass of wine then we each got into our cars and drove home.

We barely got through the door before we kissed and started taking each other's clothes off. We were acting like horny newlyweds! Our sex that night could only be described as epic. The first time, we fucked, the second and third times we made love. Needless to say, we slept in.

I sent a note to Dr. Tim Andrews, asking him to pass along any rumours or information to me. I explained that I intended to try to save my marriage. I also told him that knowing whether Trish and Dr.Sterling had had sex would help. He promised he would.

I worked from home that day. Trish and I had a wonderful breakfast and spent the morning together. I told her we needed to get away. I suggested a few weeks in Hawaii and she agreed enthusiastically.

She had a shift that afternoon at the hospital so we planned on having dinner at home. Our routine had been that we would throw something prepared into the microwave and that was dinner. Since I was working from home today I decided that I would make dinner. I hadn't cooked in a long while but I used to make a very good Veal Provençal.

I sent a text to Trish.

"Dinner at 7pm tonight. I am cooking. Don't be late."

"Wow, what are you cooking?"

"It will be a surprise!"

"Looking forward to it."

She was right on time. No long shift for a change.

We had wine, ate dinner (which she loved), apple pie, coffee and a glass of port.

Most nights I sat in my usual chair and she sat in hers. Tonight we both sat on the leather sofa and she cuddled into me. We watched a cheesy romantic comedy movie and then went to bed.

I had got into bed earlier than she had. I was tired and had dozed off. I woke up to a pleasant surprise. I was on my back, Trish was lying on her side facing me, her hand was wrapped around my penis and it was semi erect and growing fast. She was stroking me lovingly, gently at first but then firmer, faster, with more urgency.

"I love you Will."

"I love you Trish. That feels so good babe."

"I love the way you feel, so hard and so hot in my hand. I have missed this."

She was right. She hadn't given me a handjob in ages. It was amazing.

"Is the friction too much? Should I get some lube?"

"No, don't stop. Don't stop. Oh Trish, I am going to cum."

I couldn't hold it in. I came all over her hand and my stomach. She giggled and heaved a contented sigh. We fell asleep like that.

After that night I refused to go more than a day or two without some form of intimacy, whether it was as simple as brushing her long flowing hair, a morning cuddle or as vigorous as making love. We went out to events together, we made meals. We cuddled on the sofa and watched tv.

She spent far less time with extended shifts at the hospital. She actually got involved in active recruitment for new volunteers so shorter shifts were possible. I had started delegating some of my duties to my senior staff which freed up time to spend with Trish.

I got a text from Tim confirming that Trish and her surgeon friend had not been having any time together recently and that they were even seen arguing about something. He also said he had overheard a conversation between Sterling and another doctor saying that he thought she was a sure thing but he kept getting turned down. The upshot of that was that he and Trish had not been intimate and Dr. Sterling was moving on to prey that took less effort.

This was welcome news. It confirmed my own understanding that my inattentive attitude had contributed greatly to Trish looking elsewhere for attention. I had been taking her for granted. The following months were wonderful and we seemed to grow much closer.

Trish and I booked our two weeks in Hawaii, our first vacation in five years. She was excited and went on a shopping spree but wouldn't show me what she had purchased.

The hotel was a five star and was worth every penny. We spent a lot of time either on the beach or by the pool. Trish had a new bikini and it left little to the imagination, and there were very few men or women that didn't do a double take when they saw her. I was proud of how she looked, and how she presented herself. Some of the younger women looked at her in open admiration.

On Monday of the second week I came down with a horrible headache. The bright sun only made it worse, despite dark sunglasses. I told Trish to go relax by the pool or the beach and I would stay back to nurse my head. After a few hours nap I felt a bit better. I walked out on the balcony to see if I could see Trish. Sure enough she was at the pool but not alone. There were three men talking to her. Given my recent insecurity I got dressed and headed to the pool.

As I approached the group I could see her deep in conservation. The three men were wearing very form fitting bathing suits. Trisha's eyes were glued to where his crotch would be. Her left hand was casually stoking her inner thigh. It was a mindless action that spoke volumes subliminally. She didn't even see me till I walked right up to them.

The man she was talking to turned to me. I glanced down to see what Trish had found so interesting. I should have guessed, he was well hung and the suit was so tight you could even tell his religion.

"Hi Honey, are you feeling better?"

"Yes, much better. Who are your friends?"

"We never really introduced ourselves, they are from Boston, here on vacation."

"Well, thanks for keep my wife company, let's go back to the room."

"Do we have to Will? I was enjoying the conversation."

""You were also enjoying the scenery. We can always come back to the pool later."

Trish was a little angry that I had dragged her away. Maybe it was my headache making me grouchy but I confronted her.

"The three amigos you were talking to were salivating over you and you were pretty worked up about the guy with big cock in the banana hammock."

"I was just having a conversation with him. Yes, he is handsome and well hung. I didn't think it would bother you so much. You don't normally get jealous, why now?"

"You normally don't spend that much time flirting with guys and ogling men in public, of course I never get to see you when you are volunteering so how would I know what you do there."

The moment that was out of my mouth I regretted it.

"What are saying? Are you accusing me of something?"

"No Trish. I am just in a foul mood. Just ignore me."

"Did you think I was flirting with those guys? We were just having a conversation. Why do you find that threatening? Don't you trust me?"

"I trust you. I'm sorry if I implied that you were looking for something from those guys. I guess I have just been feeling a little insecure lately."

"When I bought this bathing suit it was to please you. Does it make you feel insecure because other men are enjoying themselves looking at me? I will go back to a simple one piece suit if it does."

"No, keep the bikini. I love it. You look so sexy in it. The fact that others watch you makes me proud to be your husband."

"One minute you are threatened and feeling insecure because of the way I am dressed and the next you say that having other men look at me makes you proud. I am getting mixed messages here Will. Up until a few months ago you were paying very little attention to me. Then suddenly you want to take me dancing and dining. You go from Mister "Who cares" to "Mr Romantic." You plan a wonderful trip to Hawaii, a dream vacation for me. Now an innocent conversation with some strangers has you as nervous as a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs. Something has changed for you, it is almost like something has spooked you."

She looked thoughtful for a moment, dead silent as the puzzle pieces meshed and formed a picture. Then her face went pale and she sat on the sofa.

"Dr. Sterling, you have heard something about him haven't you?"

"Yes, I have."

"What have you been told? Who told you?"

"It doesn't matter who told me. I was told that there was a beautiful lady who was volunteering at the hospital, she was spending a lot of quality time with Dr. Sterling. My informant confirmed that the volunteer's name was Trish. The informant did not know you were my wife. Why don't you tell me what has happened?"

"You know our marriage has been weakened by years of neglect. We simply stopped working on it. We are both to blame. Dr. Sterling stopped by to chat with the volunteers. He and I had a similar small town upbringing. We seemed to like each other, so we would go out for a coffee together. We became friends. Sometimes he would come to me when he was finished a surgery and just needed a friendly face. That day you asked me to go for that first dinner and dancing date he came to me and asked if he could talk to me in private. We went into one of the unoccupied rooms. He had just lost a patient on the operating table and he was crushed! I have never seen a man more bereft in my life. I thought that all he wanted was a comforting hug. Then he kissed me. It was obvious he wanted more and intended to take more but I stopped him and said I was married and I wasn't like that. I left the room angry and confused. I thought he was my friend. I was enjoying the feeling of having someone who I could share thoughts with and then he spoils it by making a move on me."

Everything she said lined up with what Tim told me. I sensed that this was the truth.

"What happened after?"

"He came around two days later and apologized. Asked me to lunch and I said no."

"Why did you start dressing up like that?"

"You actually noticed? That was one of my reasons. I wanted more attention from you. The other was exactly what I told you. I was feeling old, frumpy and unloved. Dressing up made me feel better."

"So not for him?"

"My primary need was to feel better about myself and to get you to take notice of me. I won't lie, I did want to look less dumpy when Dr. Sterling and I had a coffee together. But I was not trying to seduce him."

"Will, I have a question for you. That evening out, dining and dancing, was that because you suspected that I was having an affair?

"I won't deny that it was partly the reason. I knew things were stagnant between us and I knew we would have to work to get some fire back into our relationship, but when I heard the rumour about you and Sterling it shocked me into seriously reviewing the state of our marriage. I didn't like what I saw, years of neglect, little to no investment in our relationship. We rarely made love and when we did it was brief and damn near loveless. I came to the realization that whether you were having an affair or not, our marriage was heading for the rocks.

I could only see two real options, file for divorce or work like hell to repair the damage done. While it would have been painful, the first option was the easiest. I chose to try the second option."

"Why would you make the decision on your own? Why leave me out? What if I had wanted the first option?"

"Because I was afraid of losing you. I was afraid that if you were having an affair you might jump on the first option, to be free to go to your lover. I wanted to make an attempt to make it work. I wanted to win your love again. I am relieved that you aren't involved with Sterling. Maybe now you can see why I was a little sensitive about the banana hammock guy."

"Will, honestly, I was happy but shocked when you started paying more attention to me. I couldn't figure out why. I thought maybe you were having an affair and it was affecting your libido. It made me worry!"

"I have truly enjoyed the extra time and effort you were investing in breathing new life into our marriage. Thank you for caring so much. I am honoured that you would choose to take the harder road rather than the easier one. I love you for it."

Our love for each grew by leaps and bounds over the following months. Reading stories about lost lives, cheating and broken lives in a forum like this can have it's positive side, after all it saved our marriage

Rwg7
Rwg7
223 Followers