Renaissance Faire Ch. 01

Story Info
Transitions - Rob losses his mom, but gains a wife.
4.8k words
4.38
49.7k
49

Part 1 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/30/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
jmmj5
jmmj5
1,345 Followers

The Renaissance Faire

-- Which would she choose, her career or her family.

***Author's note: Hi everyone. This one is relatively long at almost 45k words - it should work out to around 13 or 14 LW pages across 7 chapters. The chapters are not the same length. Some are short, just under 1 page, while others close to 3 pages. I'm hoping that breaking it into chapters will make it more 'digestible.' The entire story is complete and being submitted at one time.

Since your time is valuable and the story is long, I'm going to share a couple of things to let you know what isn't in the story, so you don't waste your time. If you consider those spoilers, just skip the next two paragraphs where the story begins.

While the B does suffer, this isn't a true BtB. Also, if you want the villain(s) physically beaten, this probably isn't for you either. That isn't the intent. It isn't a RAAC either (I don't really write those). My writing usually is cathartic for me, and while I enjoy most forms of LW stories, I don't usually enjoy writing either of those types.

Thank you to my editor, who's comments and thoughts are always appreciated, for making the story better. And for slogging through 45k words. Any errors or mistakes are my own. For those of you that do make it to the end, feedback and comments are always appreciated.***

Early 2014

Chapter 1 - Transitions

Cuh-thunk, cuh-thunk, cuh-thunk, cuh-thunk. That was the only noise in the car that was being driven from the big city back to little Unionville, TX. Not much had been said since the two ladies left the doctor's office. Ann Greer was driving, because they hadn't been expecting good news, and she didn't think Ellen Johnson should be by herself.

"Ellen, are you okay?"

"I think so."

"You want to talk about it?"

Ellen let out a long sigh, "I was expecting this, but now it's so real." She paused several seconds collecting her thoughts. Ann heard a few sniffles, and then Ellen continued, "I'll be okay. I'm not crying for me, but for Rob. He's going to be devastated. I'm worried about my boy."

Ann said, "I know you are. He's not a little boy anymore, though. He's a strong young man. In time, he'll be okay. At least he has Debbie."

Ellen sighed again, "I really wish you hadn't said that. I'm still not all that thrilled with his choice for a wife, but I cannot really do anything about it. It wouldn't speak very well of me if my deathbed wish were that he does not marry her."

Ann replied, "Are you sure? She seems nice."

"I agree. She is. I'm just not certain that she is the right one for him. It doesn't matter. It's too late now. Hopefully we can move up the wedding date. I would like to see him get married before I'm gone."

What they were not discussing was what they heard in the oncologist's office a short while ago. It was Ellen's second visit, and this time the doctor and her consulting partner explained why the brain tumor was inoperable and what she could expect the next several months, which were likely to be the last of her life. There just wasn't anything that could be done.

Ellen was worried because her late husband, Rob's father, had passed away from a sudden, massive heart attack twelve years ago when Rob was twelve. They were both devastated. Fortunately, her husband had good life insurance, so the house was paid off and they had a little money for emergencies set aside.

It seemed like all of Unionville, Texas and Rose University had come out to the funeral. Her friends had been amazing during that time. There was no lack of love, nor support whenever they needed it. Ellen was lost in thought, thinking about that time, when Ann said, "you know we'll all look after Rob, like we did for the two of you when Allen passed away."

Wiping a tear from her cheek, Ellen replied, "I know you will, and I thank you. If Allen were still alive, I wouldn't be worried. Please check up on him from time to time. Between my insurance and her parents, they won't have any serious money problems, but I'm still going to talk to him about saving it and living on what he makes."

Ann replied, "Not too long ago you told me he was making almost as much as some first-year engineering students. That's really good considering he hasn't finished his degree."

"True. Getting the degree isn't that important to him, but I think some of it is his fear of the higher math. I know his not having a degree bothers Debbie, and others, but all he wants to do is learn what he needs to support his job at the engineering college. Dean McVicar has be really good to him and helped him take on more responsibility so he could earn more."

"Well after Rob saved his grandson, little Harry, from dying, it was the least he could do."

Ellen said, "True. That could have been really bad, but all Rob needed was the opportunity. Once he had it, he was good to go. It was quite the turnaround in attitude from Dean McVicar."

Ann replied, "You thought they were angry with Rob when their niece went to Stanford instead of here, to Rose University?"

"I know they were. His wife, Isobel, apologized to me while Rob was in the hospital recovering. It made me angry for a long time, but we're good now. I did like their niece. She was a sweet girl."

"Where is she now?"

"I don't know. The last time Isobel mentioned anything about her was when she was graduating from Stanford with her chemical engineering degree."

Ann snickered, "Well, it's not like Stanford is anything to sneeze at."

"I know. Still, they wanted her here, but that's water under the bridge now."

It was silent in the car for a few more minutes before Ellen continued. "You know? I just realized that I'm going to miss this year's Renaissance Faire. I always enjoyed those."

"I do too. We raise a lot of our annual funds during that fair."

Ellen said, "Several charities do. Oh, Pierce would like to talk to you. I think he's planning to retire in a couple of years. He wants to speak with you about recommending some new board trustees for the alumni vote as some of the current ones will be rolling off over the next few years. He trusts your input." Pierce Bryant was the president of Rose University and Ellen worked in his office.

"I'm glad he does. Unionville and Rose University have had a good relationship for a long time. If he does retire, I hope the new president will recognize that."

"Me too."

"Ellen, if I'm not being too forward. When are you going to tell Rob? Tonight?"

"No. Not tonight. Probably within the week. I have some business to attend to first." She didn't have to tell Ann not to tell anyone about her diagnosis. That was a foregone conclusion.

_________________

Two afternoons after that day, Ellen drove back into the big city and found herself in the office of Debbie's father -- Carlton Rutherford Hollis the third, esquire. She actually liked Carl. It was his wife that was the queen bee, with a capital 'B'.

Ellen made an effort to look good for the meeting. She wasn't a gorgeous woman, but she was attractive enough when she made the effort. She wore a dark blue dress with a pretty jacquard weave and a cowl neckline that when she leaned over just right, presented a considerable amount of cleavage; not enough to be naughty, but just enough to be a little distracting. She hoped that Carl would notice and be distracted.

"Ellen, this is unexpected. What can I do for you?" He did notice and was distracted, momentarily. She caught him looking and they both smiled at each other.

"I need the prenup amended."

That brought him to attention. "What? Why?"

"I was reviewing some documents with my attorney yesterday, and with the wedding coming up we looked through the prenup again. I completely get protecting Debbie's interests, but we don't think it protects Rob's interests enough. It's almost completely one sided."

"That's not true. Should their marriage not work out he gets to keep everything he brings into the marriage, just like Debbie."

Ellen asked, "But not any inheritance. If you or Sheila were to pass, God forbid, you would likely be survived by the other. I don't have that luxury. If something happens to both of you, then Debbie's inheritance is included in the prenup and untouchable by Rob. Now I don't plan on kicking over anytime soon, but if I get hit by a truck then all of my assets go to Rob. I want the prenup reworded so that he gets the same treatment, at least for the first fifteen years. It isn't the kind of money that you and Sheila have, but this is important to me."

Carl sat back and thought a minute. She did look really nice. Sigh. He needed to focus on the game at hand. Something must have put this into her mind. "Did Rob bring this up?"

"No. I haven't even spoken with him about this yet. I wanted it done and the papers drawn up and ready to be signed before I mention it to him. He's so in love that he doesn't care. You and I know better."

"Debbie's the same way. This doesn't seem unreasonable. I can have the papers ready in a couple of days. Is that okay?"

"That will be fine."

"I'll call you then. If you come around lunch time, you could join me."

"I'd like that, Carl, but you know people would talk. You need to either invite Sheila or have one of your partners join us."

"I'll do that. You're so proper, Ellen. I really admire that about you. I know Debbie is getting a good man."

"Thank you, Carl. I'll see you in a few days."

______________

A week later, Rob was joining his mom for dinner. She specifically requested that he come alone. She told him that she wanted a little mother-son time.

"Hey, mom. Dinner smells good. What'ya cookin'?"

"Lasagna."

He laughed when he heard that. "Okay, what do you want me to do?"

"What makes you think I want you to do anything?"

"Usually when you make lasagna, you do."

She smiled at him, "That's true, but tonight it's both; I wanted to do something nice for you because I love you, and I need something from you, which I'll tell you after dinner."

He hugged his mom. He loved eating dinner with her. They had a great dinner, and she chose that occasion to reminisce a little with her son. God, she loved her boy. After a little cleaning up, she had him go sit on the couch in the family room, and then she reached into a drawer, pulled out the papers and joined him on the couch.

"Rob, I need you to come to the office sometime tomorrow and sign these while our notary is there so the papers can be notarized. Debbie has already signed them."

"She mentioned it to me. I was surprised by the revision. You know I don't care about it. Why was the prenup changed?"

"I needed to make sure any inheritance you receive is protected."

"Inheritance? Mom, I don't care about that stuff. I hope you live a long time and that you have just spent your last cent on your last morning."

Ellen could barely hold it together. "I'd like that too, son, but I don't think that's going to happen."

Rob looked at his mother and could tell her demeanor had changed.

"What are you saying, Mom. Are you sick?"

"I'm sorry, Rob. I have brain cancer, and it is terminal. I've done all the tests and been to very good doctors. I've even gotten a second opinion. There isn't anything that can be done."

Rob was stunned. He remembered the pain when he lost his father. Now he was losing his mother, too? It wasn't fair.

He said, "There has to be another way."

"I'm afraid there isn't. So, will you ask Debbie to move up the wedding to sometime within the next two or three months. The doctors are giving me four to six. We should try to enjoy the few good months I have left."

Rob couldn't help it. He hadn't cried since the day they buried his father, but the thought of losing his mom was too much. He leaned over and hugged her as if it were going to be the last time that he saw her. As he did so, the tears wouldn't stop.

It was a long time before either of them said anything.

"You are going to be fine, Rob. You'll have Debbie for love and affection, and half the town and university for support. If you ever really need anything, Ann will be there for you, and I'm sure the McVicar's will check up on you too. It's going to be okay."

They talked late into the evening. They talked about when his father was alive and all the things they enjoyed doing together as a family. Then they talked about all the things they did together as he grew. Her "little man" had grown into a good, strong man.

Rob stood nearly six feet tall and weighed almost 200 pounds. As a supervisor and one of the chief mechanics at the engineering college, he worked with his hands a lot, and was often hauling around heavy equipment on which he worked. His mechanic and supervisory title didn't adequately describe his importance at the engineering college at the university, though. He was well thought of and was often in the middle of helping to set up the new equipment that was brought in for the research projects that the university led.

It was President Bryant that got Rob his first job at the university when he was fifteen, mostly working mornings and two or three hours some afternoons. He started working in maintenance that summer simply cleaning and changing light bulbs, but the next summer, the chief mechanic for the university, Neil, took him under his wing and began teaching him how to fix things. As soon as Rob saw his first schematic, he was hooked.

They started with a simple faulty lighting ballast, and over the summer they progressed to air conditioner maintenance and fixing a commercial dish washer in the university cafeteria. By the time he graduated high school, Neil introduced him to some of the people that worked on the equipment in the engineering college, and Rob helped take apart one of their tube furnaces for the first time, which he enjoyed very much.

He loved what he did, and he was respected at the college for his competence and his professionalism. It was a rocky road for a couple of years, but life had been good up until his mother's recent announcement.

He slept in his old bedroom that night, not wanting to be away from his mother. He called Debbie and talked for a few minutes, which was their ritual, since they were not living together yet, and he informed her that he would be staying with his mom overnight and would see her in the morning.

In the morning, Rob got up and made breakfast for the two of them. When his mom came out, she smiled and said, "Rob, I'm not crippled. I can still manage."

"I know, Mom. I just want to spend time with you."

"I'd like that. I love you, too."

When Rob saw Debbie in the morning, it was a difficult conversation. Debbie wasn't completely surprised because of the revised prenup, but she was incredibly sad for her fiancé. She knew her mother would not be happy about moving the wedding forward, but she knew it had to be done. She held her man and tried to comfort him, knowing that nothing would take away this kind of hurt.

____________

The wedding was wonderful, though a little melancholy. Everyone on the groom's side, and eventually the bride's, knew the situation with Ellen's health. The tumor was beginning to impact her physical movements, especially her left hand where she had lost the dexterity in her fingers, and she also struggled to walk without assistance. Because of her hand, she was now staying home on disability. Ann assisted her getting ready and took several pictures of Ellen looking beautiful in her long, silver dress by herself and with Rob in his tux. Rob drove them into the city, where the wedding was to be held at Debbie's family church.

Upon arrival at the church, Rob wheeled Ellen through the vestibule and into a side room, where she waited until time for the formalities to begin. She said a quick prayer that she would have the strength to walk down the aisle, instead of using her wheelchair.

When it was time for her to walk down the aisle, rather than a groomsman, Rob wanted to do this himself. What should have taken about 30 seconds, took close to three minutes. It was agonizingly slow at times, but for those few moments, she smiled the entire time, though occasionally a grimace would show. Those closest to her were fighting back tears watching her determinedly take each step.

Debbie was wonderfully understanding and patient as it related to Rob's mom. Finally, when it was her time to walk down the aisle, she was radiant as most brides are, and the ceremony was beautiful.

Pictures were taken, and then they were off to the reception not far away. While everyone was happy for the new couple, the specter of Ellen's health hung over the room. It was starting to piss off Debbie's mother, who commented to a couple of her friends that everyone should have worn black because there were times that she felt like she was at a funeral. Carl heard her the second time and asked her to keep her voice down, or better yet, not say that at all.

Rob and Debbie had their first dance and then came Debbie and her dad. While they danced, Ellen looked around the room, and snickered at the thought that in the past some people didn't think Rob would amount to much, which was funny considering the university president, the dean of the engineering college, the mayor of Unionville, the head of the ladies auxiliary, Unionville's chief of police and their spouses, plus many of their friends had driven over an hour to attend. They sat on the groom's side.

When it was time for Rob and his mom to dance, Ellen was near tears because she knew she wouldn't be able to dance with her son. Rob walked over to his mom and held out his hand. Ellen pulled him down and told him, "Rob, I can't. You know I want to."

He replied, "All you have to do is stand up, Mom. I'll do the rest."

He helped her out of her chair, and once she was standing, Rob swept her off her feet and proceeded to dance while carrying his mom. The DJ played Celine Dion's, Because You Loved Me, and there wasn't a dry eye in the room watching the mother and son together on the dance floor. They were saying lovely things to each other, as you would expect, but mostly Ellen was looking at her son with pride and admiration. She had raised a good man.

All those years of dancing with her son at the various charity and social events had paid off. He was now a relatively good dancer, and even though his partner wasn't on her feet, he held himself and moved with grace and style.

As the song was finishing, Ellen told Rob, "I love you, my son. Thank you for this."

"I couldn't have had a better mother, Mom. You truly are the best."

Harold McVicar, formerly of Edinburgh, Scotland, Dean of the College of Engineering at Rose University, was sitting next to his wife, Isobel, holding her hand while they watched Rob 'dance' with his mother. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see his wife dab her eyes with a tissue.

Harold was truly happy for Rob, even though they had a rocky go at it for a while. Harold had known Rob for a long time. When Rob was in his early teens, there was no problem. Harold's niece Katherine, or Kate, who was eleven at the time, would stay with them for a few weeks each summer and would attend science-themed summer camps at the university during the day, while he and Isobel worked. After camp she would go to the student union for a couple of hours to read, until Isobel finished her work. Isobel would then pick her up and take her to their house to visit with them during the evenings.

One day as she was exiting the summer camp, some boys were picking on little Kate because of her red hair. Rob saw this and being a couple of years older than her and the boys, stepped in to stop them. He could tell that Kate was upset, and he took her to the one person who helped to fix all his problems, his mother, who was working in the university president's office. Ellen consoled the upset girl, telling her how pretty she was and gave them some money to go get ice cream at the student union. While there, Rob concurred with his mother and told Kate she was pretty, and a friendship was born.

jmmj5
jmmj5
1,345 Followers
12