Responsibility Ch. 02

Story Info
A solemn pledge.
4.9k words
4.66
3.6k
2

Part 2 of the 34 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/21/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: Sometimes I don't spell certain names correctly and that bothers me so much. I'll try to keep it consistent but holy crap am I bothered by it. I want to apologize. I'm sorry.

***

Rahela needed a brief moment to find her cold composure again.

The still trembling fingers of her right hand moved up and touched the precious ermine fur of the cloak that was more expensive than anything else she'd ever worn. Even when she'd been coronated years ago, she'd been allowed to wear a cloak of only bright red, lined with plain white fur. The embroidery had been pretty, gold and silver in the shape of a large tortoise, but it couldn't be rightly compared to this example on Rahela's body.

When the foreign girls came to her, telling her to get dressed, Rahela had assumed she was about to endure a humiliating, torturous experience. Perhaps, she'd wondered, the Emperor would have her tied to a post, refined clothing and all, and have a combination of mud and rocks pelted at her. She'd also wondered if the Emperor had wanted her to be raped in front of his soldiers. Anything had been possible, but what the Emperor had said to everyone was very low on her mental list of prospects.

However, Rahela wasn't a fool, or she didn't believe she was one.

Calmly, her eyes focusing on the false set of abdominal muscles sculpted in the Emperor's armor, Rahela took a few steps towards that man. Then she got down on one knee again. Her head lowered. Her voice was fluid yet a little breathy.

"His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Irakly Arkadi Hermol, is a noble and powerful ruler. If he wishes to honor Testoa by choosing a bride from among us, then we should all be exceedingly grateful. To know that I am the chosen one humbles me greatly."

She heard the man's heavy voice from above. "Oh! The maiden can speak. I should've expected so." His hands lowered to her vision. There were gauntlets on him, leather with metal. His palms and curved fingers faced her. "Swear loyalty to me, and I'll restore your old title of princess. Then I'll have you escorted with the best security to the Imperial Castle in Yahsin, where you'll be prepared to marry me."

Rahela wasn't slow to do it. She reached up, her sleeves sweeping over the floor, and put her little hands in his. He hid hers well enough. He was like a giant to her.

"I am Rahela Demetra Ekatarine, and I swear by my life to be loyal to the Yahsin Empire and its magnificent Emperor." There was no breaking in her voice. No pain. No hesitation.

The man's fingers loosened, letting her slide her hands out and fold together over her knee.

"Rise," he said very simply yet also very confidently.

Rahela got to her feet and gripped a bit of her outer-gown's skirt with one hand, holding it up in case she needed to walk anywhere. The other hand went to one of the cords on the lavish cloak she wore.

The Emperor turned his body to his right to address the king. "Don't bother with a ceremony. Have some paperwork done, and see to it that this maiden is known as a princess in your kingdom, at least until she's been married."

After the king gave his meek yes, the Emperor turned back to face Rahela again. "Little Princess, are you hungry?"

"No, My Lord."

"Are you thirsty?"

She sighed. "No, My Lord."

"Do you need a moment hidden from the men?"

Assuming that was a polite way to ask if she needed to sit on a pot or something like that, Rahela gave the same reply as the last two.

"Then, we'll have to make this decision well known," the Emperor said as he made a waving gesture to his right, apparently giving someone else an order. "Have the cloak held away the dirt. We're going to have a little parade."

Surrounded by soldiers. The Emperor a distance to her left. The Yahsin girls keeping a few steps behind her. Men holding her cloak out to keep it from being soiled. They all marched around the castle's interior. One of those squires called out over and over, "Princess Rahela has been chosen! All hail the Emperor's betrothed!"

The faces on the people ranged from surprised to thrilled. Slack jaws and smiles. It seemed to be the best thing in the world, considering the country had surrendered to the Yahsin Empire. Their former queen, now a princess, was to be a bride. It was an unexpected but welcome alliance for the Testoans. It implied much a future of gentler treatment for Testoa overall, or gentler than what many worried over.

Soon, it was time for a break. The most important people were given stools. Everyone else had to find a bench or sit on the floor. A quick meal was given for everyone. The basic version was a thin wedge of cheese, a little bowl of cold pea pudding, and a hunk of bread. The important people, even the young people in training under royalty, were given some extra things. A few chunks of dried goose meat and some pickled eggs. If anyone needed to sit on a pot, or stand near a bush, that was the time to do it.

Then more marching, this time around the outside of the keep, and then a little bit outside the walls, where some people in the capital could see and hear if they paid attention. When it was all done, everyone took another break inside the keep. A smaller meal was given. Most of the people were given toasted bread with butter, cups of fermented milk, and some more cold pea pudding. The important people were given more extras. Venison sausage and fruit preserves for their toast.

Rahela led the Yahsin girls up to the old nursery, where she'd put her personal items. Since they were leaving for good, it was best to make sure everything was there. Rahela opened every container and shuffled the contents around. One chest in particular prompted her to shoo the girls away, sending them a few feet from her.

Rahela unlocked a chest's padlock and pulled the lid up.

"What's in that chest?" Oksana, the smaller maid asked. She was only an inch or so taller than Rahela.

Deciding not to answer, Rahela counted. There were wooden dividers, all making even, square sections. Each section held a different thing. Dried bundles of fungi. Different types of certain herbs or leaves. Stingers from insects, beasts, and other creatures. Some flower petals. Even flakes and chips of crystals and metals. All were safely kept in little pouches with tightly knotted strings, but Rahela knew how to loosen each knot within a few seconds.

Rahela closed the chest and locked it again.

Then she said to the girls, "We must dress for travel."

***

Yana and Oksana had been chosen beforehand to be maids-in-waiting to the Emperor's new bride. They'd served under a low ranking noblewoman, but their families gladly asked to have them transferred when the Emperor suggested it. That's what Rahela was told.

It seemed that long before the Emperor knew what Rahela had looked like, before he was even sure how old she was, he'd decided that he'd have her as his bride. Rahela had multiple ideas about why he'd made that choice, but she didn't have enough information to pick one over the other.

The three women in their traveling clothes sat inside a carriage as the Yahsin troop, along with the Emperor, obviously, left Testoa. Rahela sat by herself with the girls across from her. She frowned as she looked out a window, which was essentially a square opening with a thin metal grate. The outside world seemed to be covered by a grid of dark lines. The ride itself was shaky and bouncy. Highly uncomfortable, but normal.

The young Yahsin maidens spoke to Rahela exclusively in Yahsin. Rahela was able to guess why. This was to get Rahela to be as comfortable with the language as possible. To be fair, though, Rahela knew she'd likely always have an accent the Yahsin people would consider thick or odd.

As for this journey, first, they'd go off to the campsite just outside Testoa. That distance was long enough, so they'd sleep there. Second, they'd go off to Kaizul and stay for a few days. Then, they'd travel off to country after country, until they'd finally reached the core of the Yahsin Empire, the Imperial Castle. It was going to be a long, long trip, with many stops at inns or clearings not too far from roads.

The only reason Rahela thought she might not be killed on this journey was because of the immense amount of men versus the small amount of women to look after.

But that didn't mean she wasn't worried over her safety.

Rahela's face remained caustic as she listened to the girls chat on and on. Sometimes Rahela spoke up to ask for the meanings of certain words, or culturally significant euphemisms and phrases. Mostly, though, she hushed herself. Some of the soldiers on their horses and supply wagons were in her view. The pounding of hooves and creaking of carriage wheels were all quite loud.

At one point, Oksana said to Yana, "As elegant as Her Highness' clothes are, they're also quite simple. Once we're at the capital, His Imperial Majesty will certainly overwhelm her with many gowns and headdresses."

Yana put a hand on her cheek and replied with her typically stuttering voice, "Sh-sa-she's pretty. Truly pa-pretty. She'll ... be va-var-very charming in ... in the gowns."

Rahela thought she had an idea of what the women were gently suggesting.

Once she got to the Imperial Castle, she needed to assimilate.

Unfortunately, Rahela didn't know much about Yahsin culture, especially not Imperial Court culture. Once she got there, she'd need to watch and learn everything.

Just because the Emperor had chosen to marry her, that didn't mean his court would easily accept her.

Rahela blinked and groaned as a particularly nasty bump made everyone bounce a little in their cushioned seats. Then she asked the girls to "entertain her" by telling some old folktales from Yahsin. It would give quite a few insights into the people there.

***

The campsite wasn't completely foreign to Rahela's logic and sensibilities. She knew what tents were. She knew what campfires were. She knew that men were a rough and rowdy bunch of creatures when they all got together. Fortunately, the curious and often appreciative male eyes that clung to the maidens were also restrained. Every single one of those men understood that if anyone harmed any of the maidens, there would be amazingly violent consequences.

First, Rahela herself. A former queen and current princess. Also, obviously, she was the betrothed to their Emperor, who was right with them. She was under the most protection and the most surveillance.

Second, Yana and Oksana. Although Yana was fairly tall, she was still considered too young to marry, and Oksana was around the same age. While arranging a marriage to be planned some years ahead wasn't out of the ordinary, it was considered highly repugnant to, for example, sexually assault any of the two girls. That would earn the hypothetical assailant one of the worst fates.

So, Rahela was able to hold her head fairly high as she walked with her maids-in-waiting through the campsite, passing all sorts of activities. Men played board games, sparred, wrestled, cooked food over fires or coals, even washed some of their own clothes the best they could. Some were scrubbing clothing in buckets. Some others were using thick paddles to beat dirt out over wooden tables. But of course, when the women passed, most men paused to looked up at them.

Grinning, Oksana, the little honey blonde, she said, "Your Highness, your hair is very long and healthy. It's rational for these pitiable men to cherish the sight of you."

"Nectarous praise is lovely to the ears," Rahela said as she put her hands together, "but it's not useful."

Oksana blushed and started tugging on her sleeve.

The tent that had been arranged for Rahela and her maids-in-waiting was of a good size. It wasn't difficult to walk around and arrange their luggage. They had decently fluffy pallets on the ground, which was covered by thin straw mats and waxed fabric to keep them from having to sleep on grass and dirt.

Inside the relatively pleasant tent, Rahela sat on a stool, freed her hair, and ran through sections with a fine tooth comb made of bone. Regular combing was very good for the hair, especially with such close teeth. It pulled out lots of filth, and it even helped to get rid of lice.

The maids-in-waiting made sure everything was arranged as comfortably and neatly as possible. They even tried to stack all the luggage in aesthetically pleasing ways.

When that was over, the girls put Rahela's hair into two braids, each plait having three interlaced strands. The ends of each braid were held in Rahela's simple wooden clasps. Then, while the girls combed their own hair, Rahela spent some time looking through her personal things again. This time she was looking for knives, leather gloves, her favorite pair of spring scissors, two baskets with handles, and some pouches with strings.

The girl's had their hair tied back with ribbons, the locks now wavy from their previous braids. That was when Rahela told them she wanted to search the woods for anything useful. It wasn't difficult to walk out of the tent and wander on over to the trees. There were already several soldiers there, looking for fruits and edible mushrooms, maybe even something that could be used to put flavor in water.

Nobody stopped the trio of maidens from walking through the campsite, through a thin meadow, and over to the forest.

Whenever any of the maidens happened to get particularly close to a soldier, he'd immediately step back and bow, and then he'd purposely make even more distance. However, he'd still look at them whenever possible. All the men kept their eyes on them whenever possible. The maidens could even see some armed men standing in the meadow, watching, waiting, just in case the maidens wandered too far away.

Oksana's height made her more suitable for holding Rahela's baskets. Yana's height made her more suitable for looking for something in trees. Rahela described the things she was looking for, but she also said, "Don't touch anything. You could be poisoned. When the prizes are in your eyes, alert me instead."

"Your Highness," Oksana asked with wide eyes, "what if you accidentally touch poison? Shouldn't you let us collect the plants for you?"

Yana pointed up at a branch. Rahela looked up to see some berries she'd love to have. Yana very eagerly put her arms under Rahela's backside to pick her up and reach the branch. "You've misunderstood me," Rahela said as Yana lifted her up with a tiny grunt. She pinched a thinner offshoot and used her scissors to clip away a cluster of berries. When she had few more good clusters, she told Yana to let her down. As she carefully placed the berries in a sack and tied that sack up, she told Oksana, "I'm purposely gathering poisons."

The maidens stared at her with the most conflicted faces.

Some of the men stopped what they were doing to openly gawk at her.

"Po ... po ...?" Yana seemed to swallow a large, horrible thing. She took some calming breaths. "Poison?"

"Why not?" Rahela said as she happened to notice a bush with interesting flowers. "Poisons, toxins, venom, they're all worthy of study. It would be useful for me to have such knowledge if my betrothed were to fall ill at a suspicious time."

Nobody dared to try to stop Rahela from gathering as many dangerous things as she could. It was starting to get a little dark when she'd filled her baskets with little sacks. When the maidens went through the meadow again, some armored men politely stopped them, and one of them asked, "Your Highness, is it true that you've collected poisons?"

"Yes," Rahela said. "If His Majesty would give me a sliver of time, I'd present my set to him."

The men shifted their weight on their feet. They were clearly uncertain as to what to say about this problem, and Rahela knew they viewed it as a problem.

Back at the campsite, things were somewhat quieter. The men were all winding down. The most active ones were still preparing their dinners. When the women had the baskets in their tent, a young voice called out from outside. "Your Highness, the Emperor has asked to visit you for dinner."

That must've been the page. Rahela didn't know his name.

"If that's true," she said as the other girls skittishly combed their fingers through their hair to get what they could out, "then would he be so kind as to wait a few moments? We must have our best appearances."

Right then, she heard the Emperor's booming voice. It startled her, even rocked and waved in her belly. "I have time! But don't bother with your lavish, wing sleeved gowns! This isn't the place for courtly clothing!" He sounded happy, but he also sounded like he thought he was on some kind of arena or stage.

Rahela put a little fist to her bosom and took a few steps backward. "We must comb the leaves from our hair at least."

"Acceptable!" The Emperor was particularly cheery when he said that word.

The women all combed their hair and washed their faces the best they could. They only had a some water in a bucket at the time. It would've been troublesome to get any more at that time. Then, once they were sure their appearances were in reasonable order, Oksana went to the entrance flap and pulled it open.

A bunch of men almost poured in. They were carrying tables, food, and other important things. An almost proper dining room was arranged in the tent. There were also chairs placed for the squires, the page, and the maids-in-waiting. The females sat at one round table while the males sat at a square one some feet away.

The food wasn't foreign to Rahela. In fact, it was very simple. A few hunks of cheese, salted meats, some hard and dry biscuits that were meant to be put in liquid to make them easier to eat, pickled eggs, and some wine. The wine was the finest thing in the meal, although it wasn't an especially expensive variety.

Rahela heard Oksana whisper to Yana something about how, "irritating" it was to eat with their fingers and they'd love to "return home soon" because this "travel food" was "terribly lacking."

Rahela reached over, took a pinch of Oksana's hair, and tugged her head a bit. Oksana made a tiny cry, and then she had to look at her Mistress with upset eyes as Rahela firmly said to her, "His Majesty has offered you the protection of all these men, and they've set aside rations for you." Another little tug. Oksana's lower lip wobbled. "If I hear any more disrespectful words," Rahela continued, "you'll have a blow to the face."

That was enough to make Oksana apologize, and the meal really started then.

The Emperor was wearing an admittedly plain sort of tunic that reached his knees. The hose on his legs were a little bright, though. His shoes similar to Rahela's, plain things made of flexible leather with belts and buckles. Whenever he looked over to Rahela, there appeared to be a quirk in his lips or an amused wince in his eyes. It was as if he had several jokes flying around in his head and they were all about her, but he didn't bother sharing them.

"Your Highness," he said with a slight nod towards Rahela, "I've heard you've been taking poisons from the wild." He sounded as he looked, like he wanted to make fun of her.

"I have, My Lord," Rahela confirmed very calmly.

"Do you have any use for them?" he asked.

Carefully wiping her fingers on a white cloth that had been placed over her shoulder, Rahela said, "Of course. They're worthy of analysis."

"Is that all?" the Emperor prodded on.

"Certainly not," Rahela said as she placed a biscuit into a bowl of water. Her voice remained as light and almost weak as it typically was. "I'm going to have you poisoned. Then, it will be quite apparent that I'm the culprit. I'll be executed and Testoa will be destroyed in retribution." She put some meat with the biscuit. She didn't even look at her maids-in-waiting's faces, which were likely pink and frightened. That's how Rahela imagined them.

12