Responsibility Ch. 14

Story Info
An accusation.
5.1k words
4.62
2.5k
0

Part 14 of the 34 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/21/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

There was quite a bit of fanfare over the Emperor leaving.

Musicians stood by to play sad, yet somehow also hopeful tunes.

With his boys on standby, the Emperor stood just outside the keep, where a row of carriages waited. He was meant to enter the nicest one. The Empress Dowager and company, Princess Tuya and company, and Rahela and company stood by too, each having their turn to say goodbye. It wasn't a rigid, rule-bound moment, but their faces were still very austere.

Princess Tuya went to him first. She took his hands and told him, "Oh, how I anticipate your victory! Please find eagerness and return home soon."

The Emperor patted her cheek with his palm and said, "I'll be married once I return. I have every reason to be eager."

The sister stepped away for the mother to move in. The Empress Dowager put down the necklace she'd been suckling on and let her palm rest on her son's shoulder. "I'll hold court as I normally do, but you must pity your weakening mother. I won't continue forever."

Almost nodding, the Emperor jerked some of his mother's veil between his thumb and first two fingers. Then he put a light tap on her cheek. "I won't fail you. You may sleep well."

When Rahela had her turn to approach the Emperor, she did so stiffly, and she bowed, mostly because she couldn't think of any other action. She had rather plain braids with no ornaments. The tufts at the ends of the braids brushed against the salted path they all stood on.

Once she was straight again, the Emperor was holding something out to her. It was a white handkerchief. On one corner, the Emperor's given name and surname were embroidered in black.

His voice was strict.

"Once I'm home, you must return this to me. Until then, you must keep this token, to always be reminded of me."

Assuming that handkerchief had something to do with his ego, Rahlea took a breath and plucked the handkerchief up. She looped it around a section of her girdle and tied it into a knot. Then she bowed again and said, "Thank you, My Lord."

He didn't pull on her hair, but he did tap her scalp with his fingertips. Then he got into his carriage. His boys followed.

The women and girls stood and watched the loud, trembling carriages roll off behind their sturdy horses. After a time, Princess Tuya and company parted ways and the Empress Dowager stepped toward Rahela. Pinching and spinning a ring on her finger, the older woman asked her, "Have you heard of Ammas' willful behavior?"

"Oh, Your Majesty," Rahela said as her hand went to her bosom, "did he embarrass himself as he left?"

Moving her head from side to side a few times, the older woman said, "He hasn't left. He went to me and asked to serve as your bodyguard."

Yana was the first one to gasp. Rahela was the last. She put her hand down and folded both at her belly. "All the guards here are bodyguards. Nobody in this castle needs a personal guard, and I can't help but wonder of possible rumors taking root."

"If rumors form," the Empress Dowager said with a little sigh, "then you'll have no choice but to live with them. The fact that I've approved of his request should place an element of legitimacy upon him. I hope that will suffice."

Rahela bowed and thanked her for her thoughtfulness. Then she left to go find Ammas.

He was in his bedroom. He hadn't had his belongings packed up. He wasn't dressed for travel. In fact, he was wearing a casual tunic, sitting by a window and sipping at broth from a wooden bowl. Once Rahela and her girls were near him, he put his bowl aside and got to his feet. Then, his face turning serious, he got down on one knee.

Before he could offer any oath, Rahela told him, "You're free. You may go anywhere. Why remain attached to such a weak patron? I have little security for you."

The man's reply was firm.

"By launching an investigation into my case, and helping to free me, Your Highness, you've made yourself into a target. His Lordship, Baron Utkinsky isn't important. What is important is the principle behind your actions. You've shown this corrupt world that you won't bend to its nature. You've become a threat to anyone that isn't a naive child. I must stay by your side ... figuratively. You shouldn't go on without protection."

Rahela folded her arms in a certain way, gripping her elbows. "What of your family?"

"My family never tried to speak for me. They no longer want me." He moved his arms up a bit, palms down. "I'll renew my oath to you, and you'll have another ally in this vicious world."

Rahela looked over and up at Yana. The tall girl stuttered something out, tapping her fingertips together a few times. Rahela looked over to Oksana, who shrugged. Gabi might not have known what was happening; she'd have to be given an explanation later.

Almost without a thought, one of Rahela's hands gripped the handkerchief knotted around her girdle. The action lasted two seconds. Then she went over to Ammas and outstretched her hands at the proper angle. He put his large hands over hers and swore once more to be loyal to her.

When he was standing again, he bowed and asked what her next destination was.

"Both the Empress Dowager and Princess Tuya have their own activities," Rahela told him. "I wasn't invited to them today. I'm going to study my poisons in my bedchamber. You're free to accompany me." Considering her ladies and maid-in-waiting, and the chambermaids would all be in there as witnesses, scandal wouldn't have very much space.

***

Spots of light. Hardly visible through the thick, dark curtains.

A mattress covered in rumpled sheets and piles of pillows and blankets.

Thick air, sweat and other bodily fluids had added their scents.

She felt the mattress depress as the man next to her sat up and said with his warming, dulcet voice, "You must be cautious, Majesty. That Testoan princess is too vulnerable. What will she do without your protection?"

Naran Sarnai Hermol, the Empress Dowager, she slid her arm over to scratch near her ribs. Her eyes were focused on the darkness above, the canopy's ceiling. "She seems terribly innocent. If anything were to happen to her, my son's anger would spread over the world like a dust storm."

The man near her said, "I was so relieved when you listened to me. I worry over that Baron."

"Worry no longer," the Empress Dowager said. "You've already performed well. You alerted me to the problem, and now the problem is being managed." She held her hands some distance from her face. They looked nearly black. The fingers of one hand spread over the back of another, and she sighed. "These old hands will rot soon. I can't leave this empire in a weakened state."

"Nonsense." The man surprised her a little by reaching over and holding one of her hands. "Your hands are still so beautiful."

He'd never ran out of compliments before. Why would he do so now?

***

This day was busier than the previous one.

After breakfast, Rahela, accompanied by her girls and her new bodyguard Ammas, all went over to Urmas Madal's workshop. She found out that the Emperor had ordered a special soap for a wedding gift beforehand. "He wasn't able to stay to mix the colors," Urmas had said, "but he left his ideas with me and I've been executing them. He knows and trusts my judgement."

Assuming that she couldn't try her bacon soap idea again, Rahela said to the Imperial Soaper, "I want to impress His Majesty again, but my thoughts deserted me. I don't know what to design this time."

Right then, there were so many suggestions.

Yana patted Rahela's arm, almost hopped in place, and said, "Huh-honey. Use honey. Eh-eh-and buttermuh-buttermilk."

With a mellow smile, Rahela countered that with, "Buttermilk might be more difficult to produce in this cold weather, but honey isn't a bad option."

Oksana's single ribbon plait swayed as she dared to skip closer. "Mistress, one side should have a rough texture for scrubbing."

Rahela smiled at her too. "His Majesty wouldn't hate that. He might even consider it useful."

Covering his nose with a hand, not well accustomed to the strong fumes of the workshop, Urmas managed to give a muffled idea. "I've heard His Majesty is fond of coconuts."

"Ah, that's true," Rahela nodded to him and moved to pet her little sister's head. She asked her in Testoan, "What do you think might be a good soap?"

Shrugging, Gabi replied, "Something that cleans you."

Urmas' nearly crusty laughter distracted them all, and then he coughed into his elbow. His eyes were still happily narrowed when he said, "Sugar water, kaolinite, goat's milk, when properly measured and combined with the lye and oils, these will make a luxurious soap that will coddle the skin. There would be a fantastic lather too. I'd have to be meticulous because sugar will heat the mixture, especially since milk has sugar too, but it can be done well."

Rahela's shoulder rose a bit, her head tilting towards that shoulder, and she said, "I'll lean on your experience for that matter, but I'm still uncertain over the shape and possible fragrance."

Another round of suggestions went on. It was almost fun to listen to everyone give an opinion. After a few moments, Rahela decided on something.

The end goal was a perhaps nine separate pieces, each one technically made of a few pieces. A little, white platter in a rectangular shape with green arugula leaves and lovely purple and red beetroots. They were meant to be fairly miniature in scale.

The colored pieces of soap would be made separately and attached later. Urmas was well skilled in carving and molding soap. He promised he could do it well. A fragrance oil with a fresh, salad-like aroma was also chosen. The springtime vegetables would be very appropriate, since the wedding was likely to take place in late spring. If not, the Emperor wouldn't criticize her.

Once Urmas swore that he'd prepare all the ingredients soon, Rahela thanked him and led her group away. She had an appointment with some seamstresses. Those seamstresses had to measure her body for clothing. A wedding outfit was meant to be constructed, but it had also been demanded that she have a completely new set of Yahsin styled clothing.

Ammas stood at her bedchamber's exit door, keeping his head straight and facing that door. Off in a corner of the room, many privacy screens were arranged and a number of women and girls kept watch just in case Ammas, for some idiotic reason, decided to take a peek. The seamstresses took measurements with Rahela clothed, partially clothed, and even fully nude. They wanted as much information as possible.

As they spoke, Rahela heard one of them mention that although Rahela's favored Testoan wing style sleeves weren't popular for Yahsin women, the Emperor had told them to make a few gowns with those sleeves and other Testoan details. He'd even said that a few gowns should be very similar to the gowns she currently had! Rahela had to hand them a few of her favorite gowns, from the plainest to the grandest, to give them proper examples.

Funny thing, they were mostly disappointed with how "simple" the basic design a Testoan gown often had. It was as if they'd expected a challenge.

When that was finished, Rahela was called to have a visit with the Empress Dowager. Her group followed her off to a lovely room full of people playing cards and board games. It was warm and buzzing with activity. Even the rattling of dice was exciting.

Close to a window with green and gold panes, the Empress Dowager sat at a table with a board game. Her girls were seated near her. On the other side of the table, playing the game with her, there was a man. A few boys were sitting near him.

Rahela recognized him as the stylish man she'd noticed at the Imperial Court meeting, the one that had been looking at the Empress Dowager. He had a little brown goatee with a some curls. The soft hair around his head had its curls too. His eyes were green and upturned, somehow making Rahela assume he was clever even though her common sense told her eye shape had nothing to do with intelligence. Now the smile he gave as he got up and bowed to her, that was the true evidence.

"This is my new little favorite, Batu Markov," the Empress Dowager said as the man sat back down. "His father was unable to come to court, so he volunteered to be his representative. I decided to keep him for now."

"It's a pleasure to meet him," Rahela said. "Does he play well?"

Just as she put a game piece on a certain square, the Empress Dowager curtly answered, "No. Now it's your turn."

With a fluid, humble voice, the man said, "Her Majesty is far too skilled. I'll never defeat her." He left his seat again and said, "Perhaps this honorable princess could rise to this occasion."

Rahela nodded and sat down in that chair. She started arranging the pieces on the board so a new game could be started. "Majesty," she said, "Concerning the investigation of Tarmo Ammas and his illegal imprisonment, has there been any progress?"

"Not much time has passed," the Empress Dowager told her with a slowly cracking visage. She suddenly rubbed her eyes with her fingertips and muttered, "My eyes are stinging." One of her ladies-in-waiting was quick to hand her a cool, wet rag to press into her eyes.

"Are you unwell?" Rahela asked.

An inhale, exhale, then the Empress Dowager handed the rag back to her lady-in-waiting. "I'm fine. I'm simply aging. Now, what had you asked me?"

Clicking a certain wooden piece in place, Rahela reminded her, "The investigation."

"Oh, yes." The older woman rapidly blinked and nodded. "Nothing groundbreaking has been discovered. That Baron is highly unwell, but he's confessed. He'd bribed the warden to keep Ammas away to protect his bastard son."

Putting her hands on her lap, Rahela asked, "Has anything else been discovered?"

"Should anything else be discovered?" The Empress Dowager tightly asked as she rubbed one of her temples with her fingers.

Trying to keep her expression cool and gentle, Rahela said, "I'm wondering if His Lordship had been involved in any other crimes. He's clearly a man of much experience. How much of that experience was virtuous?"

"If anything else is discovered," the Empress Dowager said, one of her eyes almost blinking, "then you'll be told. Now let's have a game."

Rahela didn't press on that issue anymore.

She nearly beat the Empress Dowager, just nearly. When it was over, the older woman was still oddly irritated. Rahela couldn't understand why. Hitherto, she'd never seemed to be anything but tranquil.

The following morning, Rahela decided to ask to check in. She'd brought her group along and went up to the Empress Dowager's bedchamber. Oksana knocked on the door and announced her mistress' presence. Then she asked the maiden on the other side of the door if Rahela's visit would be welcome. She was welcomed, indeed.

Inside the massive, well adorned apartment, Rahela saw many elegant statues, plants, and even a rare painting or two. Most rooms had tapestries, and this one did too, but a painting was a rare treat for Rahela. The fact that the paintings were so well made was even more of a treat. She'd almost thought she'd been looking through small windows.

The chambermaids here were busy changing the canopy bed's sheets. A maid-in-waiting was holding a mirror up to the seated Empress Dowager's face. The older woman was at a vanity table, trying on various pieces of jewelry.

While Ammas stood by, very much an uncomfortable stranger in this world of so many females at once, Rahela went over to the Empress Dowager and said, "Madam, I'm so relieved that you've let me inside. I wanted to look at your face. Trouble has been clouding your eyes. I'm worried you might not be well."

Holding a square pendant near the little black beads on her veil's edge, apparently testing whether or not the two things complemented each other, the Empress Dowager snapped, "I'm well, you slow-witted hatchling!" She removed the necklace the pendant was attached to. Then she groused down at the back of it. "There's supposed to be an engraving here. Where is it?"

A lady-in-waiting pointed at a spot on the pendant and said, "It's there, Madam."

Curiously, but also discreetly, Rahela noted how the Empress Dowager's eyes squinted and strained. Her jaw lowered as if she wanted to speak, but there was no sound for a moment. Finally, she found her voice again. "It's blurred."

Rahela wasn't sure what to think, but she did move in closer. "May I see?"

Shrugging, the older woman held out the pendant, the back upwards as it was before. Not daring to touch such a thick, impressive thing, Rahela peered at it instead.

Her breath was slow.

Through her nose.

Rahela didn't even let a line form on her brow, didn't even let her fingers bend, and certainly didn't let her eyelids move harshly nor her lips jerk. She only made a flowing kind of smile, a gently sprouting kind of smile, and then she said, "It reads, 'By the grace of the Harvest God.'"

"I know that," the Empress Dowager hissed out as she drew the pendant back. Then she put a corner of it to her lips as a stormy, frighteningly worried look developed on her face. What she was staring out at, Rahela didn't know.

Letting her voice rise a bit, but in a sweet and eager manner, Rahela put her lightly curled fingers at her bosom and said, "Your Majesty, I have a dreadful confession. I'm jealous, so terribly jealous. You have so many dazzling pieces. Necklaces, rings, brooches, so many."

Impatiently and with no humor, the Empress Dowager turned her head to wrinkle her nose and glower at Rahela, but she did say, "Then what should I wear?"

"I don't understand, Majesty." Rahela used a hand with closed fingers and a horizontal angle to stop Gabi from curiously approaching a tray of jewels. She imagined Gabi only wanted to have a closer look, and she wouldn't have dared to touch anything, but Rahela didn't want to risk that. Still clinging to her smile, Rahela said, "I didn't mean to imply I'm a better judge than you. Why, if you were to kindly say, 'Here, wear this and see if you like it,' then I'd wear the item happily."

An eyebrow rising, the Empress snatched up a seemingly random thing. It was small chain of gold with a moonstone pendant, which was like a disc. "Try this necklace on. Fret not. I know I have my childish habits. After I've worn a piece I have it gently washed."

Rahela's fingers sprung out to take the necklace. When Gabi tried to offer her help in fastening the clasp behind her neck, Rahela said in Testoan, "Oh no. This is the Empress Dowager's most precious jewelry. As long as it's under my care, I won't let anyone else touch it. If it's somehow damaged, I'll repair it with my own hands."

Then, making herself laugh, Rahela translated what she'd said with the tone of someone that had forgotten what language they'd used before. She made certain everyone understood her.

Once she had the clasp in place, Rahela looked over the Empress Dowager's shoulder and adjusted the chain's angle. It seemed to dip a small amount past her collarbone. Then she put a sleeve close to her lips and yawned. "Oh, won't you forgive this foreign princess? Even with my lessons finished, I still lose sleep." She even closed her eyes, put her fingertips on her eyelids, and gave herself a vigorous a rubbing. Then she blinked and put her fingers back to the necklace. "I'm not certain if I've adjusted well."

A nostril twitching, the Empress Dowager said, "Should I have visited you instead? Are you unwell?"

"I can't imagine I would be," Rahela said as she curled a few fingers around the chain, "but I might still have my weaker days."

The older woman's face seemed to be calmed, then. Perhaps being told that this younger person felt weak was enough to stroke her ego, enough to make her feel better about her own situation. She sighed and looked through her tray. Then, picking up a different piece, she said, "Return that moonstone necklace. I'll hand you something prettier."

12