Responsibility Ch. 23

Story Info
The Emperor returns.
5.9k words
4.55
2.3k
1

Part 23 of the 34 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/21/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Baroness Agniya Chachuk left her daughter at the mercy of the Empress Consort, which wasn't quite as frightening as that might seem. Rahela didn't plan on murdering the girl.

The beautiful redhead kept her mare somewhat close to Rahela as they rode around the estate. The first thing she said was fluid and light. "Your Majesty, would you please tell this eager maiden more of your homeland?"

For the first time, Rahela was the one tell story after story, and she had what seemed to be an attentive audience instead of a reluctant translator. There wasn't any translation at all, actually.

The stories Rahela gave were mostly simple. A tale of a naughty dog that had chased away some chickens, another tale of a sewing project that had gone wrong, those sorts of things. It was a very tranquil time that had Rahela remembering all kinds of things from her childhood, or the parts of it that still held a child's lifestyle.

Her heart was almost soothed by such memories.

When Rahela tired of the whole thing, she announced that she wanted to lead the horses, and her mule, back to the stables and have a relaxing time under a veranda's roof. The group was eventually seated on such a veranda, sipping sweetened water and munching on treats. During this time, Miss Verala asked Rahela for a card game. That was fine. Rahela played a game with her. At the end, she thought Verala might've let her win. In fact, the redhead even complimented her for her "clever mind."

Another game was started. Rahela happened to look away at one moment. She noticed the Empress Dowager, Princess Tuya, and their attendants were on a walk. The princess seemed as irritated as ever, or as she'd been ever since her weaving hobby had apparently been disrupted. When she saw who Rahela was playing cards with, her face only soured further.

If there were any complaints, Rahela knew she'd hear them.

She wondered why there would be a complaint.

As the flapping and sliding noises of card against wood repeated in her brain, as the elegantly painted symbols on the paper were revealed, Rahela puzzled and pondered.

It was so rare for anyone to seek her out with friendly intentions. Why shouldn't Rahela enjoy the moment?

***

"What are your favorite hobbies?" That was what Rahela asked the Baroness' daughter once the card game at the veranda was finished.

Rahela had tired of the veranda. The group of women and girls, and Ammas, were all walking in the gardens.

With her calm and sweet voice, the maiden answered, "I love to study and learn, Your Majesty. Now, I'm learning from the finest woman in the Empire."

Reaching to brush a fingertip against a cluster of flowers, Rahela asked, "What other activities please you?"

"Oh Your Majesty," the maiden said as she put a hand to her bosom, "I'm not an interesting person. I could never compare to you."

"The wisest course for you," Rahela said, "is to be honest. Now tell me of your hobbies."

Miss Verala's lips froze in half of a grin, and then she found movement again. She laughed, which made an enchanting sound, and she turned her head to look at a little rose bush. "I'm very fond of reading and dancing."

"Dancing could be the most suitable activity for you," Rahela told her. "Your beauty is highly prized. To see such an image in motion, that would be a remarkable opportunity."

Those exquisite eyes lit up as she turned back and looked at Rahela's face. "I'd be honored, Your Majesty, if you'd let me dance for you."

Rahela didn't hate the idea. Later on, in her bedchamber, she watched the maiden dance, and it was quite a lovely sight. She thought of an angel gracing the living world, flowers appearing wherever her feet landed.

After Verala finished and received her compliments, one of Princess Tuya's ladies-in-waiting knocked on the bedchamber's doors and spoke to Yana. Princess Tuya was asking that Rahela come visit her in her own bedchamber.

Rahela told Verala and her retinue to go off to their guest room. Then, Rahela took her own retinue off to that princess' area.

Princess Tuya was angrily trying to loosen a massive knot of threads in an embroidery project, sitting on her balcony, when Rahela and company finally stood near her. Tuya got up to bow, but then she sat right back down and pinched and tugged at her mess. Why she didn't use a pair of scissors, Rahela couldn't say. Perhaps she wanted to save the threads?

"Your Highness," Rahela said with a calm tone, "why have you urged me to your side?"

"Your Majesty, I won't waste your precious time." The princess started trying to use a needle to pick at the threads. "You must send Baroness Chachuk and her daughter away. Don't keep them close to you."

Rahela layered her hands on her bosom and gave a quietly outraged little noise. A kind of ah noise with a meaningful pitch. After that, she asked, "Do you suppose they're a threat?"

"Everyone knows it," the princess said. "The Baroness is one of several nobles that had been trying to show their daughters to the Emperor, hopefully to marry, but now they could hope he'd choose one to be a lover."

Rahela heard Oksana make an offended little gasp. She ignored it. "I believe the Peitlada province is quite vast, considering the Baroness' status. The family also has its own military support, although it could be easily overshadowed by those of other families. His Majesty would've likely chosen a much more powerful family. The Baroness' old attempts from before I married the Emperor might've been pointless."

"True," the princess said with a bitter voice, "but there's still room for him to take a lover, and that Verala is far too stunning. Her eyes are uniquely colored as well. Once His Majesty sees her, he'll be highly tempted."

"Is that so?" Rahela put the back of her hand close to her lips and looked behind herself. She saw Ammas' cold face and stiff posture, but a flush still remained on his cheeks. Rahela assumed he'd enjoyed watching the beauty dance, but he didn't want to express such a thought.

"It's certainly so," continued the princess. "Stop associating with Verala."

Rahela took a step away from the princess.

And another.

She was walking off.

Her retinue followed.

"I'm not longer in a position to do as you say unless I wish to," Rahela said quite boldly. "The fact that you've dared to give me an order has me wanting to punish you." At the sound of Princess Tuya's upset little noise, which had likely formed in her throat, Rahela went on with, "Because you expressed concern over my and the Empire's welfare, I'll commend you instead. What benevolent intentions you have!"

She was almost at the end of the balcony's floor, nearly entering the bedchamber.

Her ending statement to the princess was, "This Empress Consort has her own faculties, and they will be used."

Without a goodbye, Rahela left Princess Tuya's bedchamber completely.

***

It was still early the next morning when Rahela called Ammas to her bedchamber.

Her chambermaids, ladies and maid-in-waiting, were all quietly grumbling about their Madam demanding that they all wake up at such an unexpected hour. It couldn't be helped, though. The guards outside had to hear the girls moving around and complaining. They had to know that Rahela wasn't alone in any sense of the word.

Rahela was casually dressed on her balcony, looking out at the pink and blue sky and dark clouds, when Ammas was finally bowing before her. She thoughtfully sipped a cup of water and gently said to Yana, who was trying not to yawn as she sat beside her, "Ah, that useless man is finally here."

One of Ammas' eyebrows quirked up, and a corner of his lips twitched.

Rahela had an unusually large package hooked to her hip. It had significant weight for its compact size. She removed the thing from her side and rose to her feet. "Ammas, you've been useless, but that's not due to any incompetence on your side of the coin. You have no reason to exist by my side. There are already so many guards protecting me."

She stepped over to Ammas and held the package out. "Here is a good amount of gold and silver for your pleasure. Take it, and have a holiday."

His eyes bulging for only a flash of a moment, Ammas silently took the package with both of his hands. Before he could open it, Rahela told him, "Open the package when in private. I don't want anyone to be jealously watching as you count your coins."

Coldly, Ammas said, "Thank you, Your Majesty. I'll leave tomorrow morning."

A few minutes later, once Ammas was back in his bedroom, presumably packing his belongings up, Oksana walked onto the balcony and whined out, "Your Majesty! Why did you send Ammas away? He's so loyal to you."

Her eyes strict, Rahela told the girl, "What I do with that man is my concern, not yours."

***

Rahela had a conversation with Baroness Chachuk just before it was time for her to leave. Oh, how delightful it would be to have Verala stay as a court favorite!

Specifically, Verala would be Rahela's favorite, and of course her little retinue of girls would stay too.

What a lovely opportunity! That was what the Baroness said. She gave her smiling daughter a warm good-bye and an encouraging squeeze of a hand. Then she left her daughter under Rahela's capable sight.

It was done, and nothing much could be done about what was done.

Miss Verala of Peitlada now had an interesting position in the court. She had more chances to meet high class nobles with betrothals on their minds, for example. Just because Rahela was fairly unpopular didn't mean she was without her own power and influence.

And for the rest of the summer days, Verala enjoyed her place near Rahela without any negative reactions.

It didn't matter how much Princess Tuya pouted.

The Empress Dowager hardly ever spoke of the issue, and she certainly didn't question Rahela. One could imagine the Empress Dowager had often thought, "If that girl wants to keep a pretty face near her, who are we to judge?"

Rahela did eventually commission a painter to have a portrait of Verala sketched out for a future painting. It was the same painter that had made the expensive painting for the wedding. Said painting was hanging up on one of the walls in the Imperial Throne Room, so high up that nobody could reach it without a ladder.

Verala had her own vanity. Rahela couldn't detect very much about her personality, but she could see that. Verala's posture was typically haughty whenever she was the focus of the moment. Her chin would rise. Her shoulders would tilt back. Her supple lips would form a lofty smile. It was no different when the painter took the time to stare at her with experienced and cautious eyes.

Rahela had this maiden as a favorite. It was more or less a title.

But in her heart, she couldn't call this girl a favorite, not in truth. Perhaps her true favorite was Gabi. She was blood, after all. She was also the one she'd always say she loved.

This red-headed favorite, this charming beauty that had everyone turning their heads and dreamily sighing, Rahela didn't know her very well.

One morning, Rahela was brushing up on some Yahsin history, particularly on certain notable family trees, land disputes, and agreements, when Verala happened to approach and ask, "Your Majesty, when the Emperor returns, will you have a gift for him?"

"It's not required of me," Rahela answered with a distracted tone. "I'm not certain what I'd give him, regardless. He has most of the world kneeling at his feet."

"His Majesty must be a complex person," Verala said as her fingers curled around one of her braids. "Aside from the Empress Dowager, could anyone understand him?"

Turning a page in a carefully, tightly made book, Rahela lightly said, "Everyone is complex."

"Oh Your Majesty, is that true? Aren't there any simple people?"

"The issue is exactly what you mean by simple." Rahela turned another page. "Even infants can be unpredictable at times."

***

Summer had gone to sleep and autumn was waking up when the Emperor and company finally set foot at the castle again. The three women in his family, and their retinues, all waited outside to greet him. Once the Emperor stood before them, proud as ever, there was a good deal of bowing.

Borys appeared soon with a tiny boy holding his hand. Zorig Bayar. That's was his name. Borys introduced him with a smile. He was the Emperor's new page. That boy seemed timid but well-behaved. He had a slightly tanned complexion, thin eyes with pretty brown irises, a round nose, chubby cheeks with freckles, and pale brown hair. Sometimes he seemed to lean into Borys' leg or give him a sad expression that might've been seeking approval. Sometimes he did both at once.

The Emperor approached Rahela first, which was logical because she was his wife and the one that had ruled in his place. With that wolfish grin she hadn't forgotten, he reached out with those heavy fingers she'd also never forgotten. Those fingers curled around her ribbon plait, and he asked, "Little Empress, who is this peculiar maiden near you?" He was referring to Verala.

"My Lord," Rahela said, making a light gesture towards Verala, "this is the daughter of Baroness Agniya Chachuk, Verala Chachuk. I've agreed to have her as a favorite for as long as she pleases me."

That uneven nose of his wrinkling, his eyes highly amused, the Emperor put his hands behind his back, bent over a bit, and said in what was almost a whisper, "This phenomenal little beauty must have truly fascinated you."

Not even flinching, Rahela softly told him, "I'm a human indeed. I have my whimsy."

"Whimsy. Of course." He straightened his posture and walked over to his mother, whose head-rail he tugged and whose smile he easily coaxed out. Then he tried to coax a smile from Princess Tuya. He wasn't successful. He actually frowned at his failure. "Ah acceptable," he said with an unusually defeated tone. He looked back to Rahela. "I'm tired. I'll bathe and eat."

Rahela saw nothing wrong with that. It was normal. She was one of many who bowed as the Emperor left the area. When she looked back up, she noticed that Verala was looking fairly focused. It was as if her delightful eyes had been attached by a string to the Emperor's figure for a long time.

Rahela only blinked and told Verala to come join her for a round of sewing.

***

The food laid out for the Emperor was enough to have even Rahela secretly bubbling with jealousy.

Spiced fig paste wrapped in steamed leaves. Roasted fowl and vegetables. Three different varieties of meat pies with buttery crust that had flaky layers on top. Fish covered with dark sauce and thick bean pottage. Hunks of bread with a jar of fruit preserves. Two pitchers with different types of wine.

Rahela had to top herself from sighing as she walked into the Emperor's bathing chamber, watching him chew a bit of bird. She knelt down on the floor before him, not at all far from his food, and she said, "You've summoned me, and now I'm here."

"Yes," the man said after a sip of wine from a cup, "that's what happens when I summon you. Are you pregnant yet?"

Quite brusque.

A shake of her head, and Rahela replied, "No My Lord."

There was almost no reaction, except for a quirk of a shoulder and the water splattering a bit as he moved his arm to get his plate of fish. "That's a shame. I wasn't gone for too long. Assuming the seed had been planted before I left, your belly might've swelled, but as you've said, you're empty."

Rahela didn't know how to respond. She supposed she wanted to be pregnant with his child. It would be the most advantageous thing for her. It would cement her place in this Empire and bring great honor onto her and her country. Yet there was a barely felt emotion in her heart. Something like relief but she wouldn't call it that.

The Emperor continued as he ate. "The issue with those islands have been solved. Our darling little admiral was properly seduced. His grip was infected from the inside. We've taken advantageous of the weakness and chased Tashkila out. Now our hold is stronger than ever."

With half a bow, Rahela said, "Congratulations, Your Majesty. This is a fine victory for Yahsin."

"It's thanks to my new favorite assassins, the ones that tried to kill you." The Emperor took another sip of wine. "I'd originally forbidden them from setting even a toe into Yahsin, but I've changed my mind. I'll pull them here and I'll give them to you."

Her eyelids constricting with a combination of surprise and suspicion, Rahela asked in a thinner tone, "What does Your Majesty intend for me to do with these newly made heroes?"

"Whatever you do," he said as more of a smile threatened to show itself, "don't punish them. I've used them well. They've served well. They're clever enough for our needs. I've only decided to let you have them because of their old offense against you. Your prejudice, which I assume you certainly hold, will temper your feelings, and so you won't coddle them."

Rahela straightened her neck and gripped one of her plaits. "I understand. I'm meant to reward them for their service but do so mildly, even discreetly."

He smiled then, even nodded. "We can't have the whole Empire knowing we've been keeping a couple of assassins so close. Most people should assume we've regained the islands through brute strength alone."

Following the man's fork with her eyes as it pierced a hunk of perfectly cooked fish, Rahela sighed. "I'd never intentionally pour sewage onto the Imperial Family's reputation."

The Emperor's free hand rose, palm up, and his fingers flicked at her. "Disrobe and come down to the water with me."

A fluttering yet also throbbing sensation formed in her belly and bosom. Her fingernails dug into her plait as she said, "I'll have to wrap my hair away."

"Not necessary." He didn't bite the fish. He put the fork down on the plate, which still had delicious looking flesh on the prongs. "Only loosen the hair and come into the water."

Rahela put two fingers at a spot near her lips, almost touching, and she turned her eyes away. The idea of getting into a bath without one's hair kept away was very peculiar to her. Still, she complied. She got to her feet, took some steps back, and untied her girdle. Then she worked on her clothing.

The situation had her skin burning. He was focused on her. One of his elbows moved up to the ledge and his chin and jaw went to his hand. Why he wasn't eating, Rahela didn't know.

When she was nude, not even in a chemise nor stockings, Rahela knelt down again. She had to be slower and more mindful than before. There was nothing to soften the contact to her knees. Her fingers went to the clasps on her hair, which were soon making tiny clattering noises on the tiling as they were laid down. Then she untied and pulled her ribbons away. She used her fingers to give her hair a quick comb. Then, she put her feet into the water and climbed down.

All of that was done without a word between them, not even a throat clearing.

Once she was finally sitting in the water, her hair dipped in, the Emperor finally said something.

"You've been eyeing my food like a sad puppy." He picked his fork back up, and he held the chunk of fish right at her lips.

Fairly unsettled, Rahela blinked at the sight of warm, delicious food so insistently and unexpectedly put right at her mouth. Obviously, she'd been given wonderful food before, but at this moment, she hadn't thought the Emperor would notice she'd been coveting his meal and then offer some to her. This was his moment of relaxation, not hers.

Well, it would be silly to refuse him. She opened her lips. He put the fish right past her teeth. When she was chewing, the Emperor took a piece of fish for himself.

12