Return To Point Hollow Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We don't know, sir." said Tanya. "We found no sulfur or other chemicals that give of those kinds of odors. That part is unexplained."

"Harumph." I said, then realized everyone heard me.

"You have an ideeeeaaah, Mr. Crowbar?" asked the Chief.

"Nothing I'm willing to say out loud, sir." I replied. I did not want to say that that smell was the stench of Hell itself, and of the demon that was so nearly liberated onto this earth. I'd be considered to be a fool if I said that out loud...

"I have one question." said Melina Allgood. "Why those particular people? Why them in this cult? What was it about them that caused Westbrook to want them in his group?"

I paused for a moment, then said "Most of those people were down on their luck in some way. They all were psychologically weak, and Westbrook used that to dominate them and bring them into his fold. Some were into it wholeheartedly, some maybe not so much, or not realizing fully what was going on..."

Part 18 - The War At Home (and the Solution)

5:00pm, Sunday, October 6th. I was sleeping on the sofa at The Cabin, lying on my side. When I opened my eyes, I was looking right into the face of a handsome Police dog. "Hi, Bowser." I said sleepily, causing him to wag his tail. "Are you watching me sleep?"

"Yes, Daddy." said Carole, who was working on something along with Tasha and Marie on the floor. "Bowser is making sure you're o-kay."

"That's good." I said, rising to a sitting position. My back ached as I reached out to pet Bowser. "You're a good dog, Bowser." Bowser wagged his tail vigorously in agreement.

"Supper will be ready in a minute." Laura said. She, Paulina, and Molly were setting the table. "Everyone will be here by six o'clock, so if you want to clean up, go do that now."

"Okay." I said. I headed upstairs, followed by the redoubtable Bowser.

The hot shower was very refreshing. Afterwards I shaved and put on some clean clothes. Then I heard banging in the attic room, followed by shouting. I decided to go upstairs and see what the boys were doing. Bowser did not attempt to follow.

In the attic room, a section of the railroad had collapsed, and Jim was haranguing Ian about it. It seemed Ian hadn't ducked enough when crawling under it. Ian was in tears, partly at the damage he'd accidentally done, but more at being yelled at by his older brother.

"Okay, Jim." I said quietly. "That's enough. There's no need to yell at your little brother."

"Dad, he messed up this whole section!" Jim complained. Ross nodded vigorously in agreement.

"Stuff happens." I said. "Tornadoes damage towns. Yelling at your brother isn't going to magically fix it. Just help Ian start rebuilding it better than it was, and drive on." Jim nodded, and the boys got to work.

Going back to the main floor, I saw that Edward and Stephanie Steele had arrived, as had Franklin Washington and his wife Susie, Theo Washington and his wife Nareese, Teresa and Todd and their boys, and Cindy, Callie, and Betsy.

Dinner was hamburgers, hot dogs, 'fixins', and soft drinks and iced tea. Everybody ate well. Afterwards, people talked in groups. I had Theo and Franklin come out on the back deck with me. I started a fire in the pot, as it was getting chilly outside. I sat down in my place, with Franklin in the chair to my right and Theo in the chair in my left. I noticed that Tiger Mom and walked up the deck rail, and was now supervising, i.e. watching us.

Theo said "I've asked Franklin to fill you in on some stuff going on, sir."

I said "You guys know I don't want to get into your business, at least not a way to cause you any trouble. So with that in mind, what's going on?"

Franklin said "It's D.A. Walters, Commander. "Paulina doesn't want to believe Walters's actions are racially motivated, but I think they are. Walters was going to demote Paulina along with Gregory, to intentionally embarrass Paulina. She told several people that, people she thought she could trust, but a couple of them spread the word."

"Let me do something I normally hate," I said, "and bring up a 'hypothetical'. If Paulina was all-white, do you think Walters would've acted differently? By that I mean, was Walters trying to do this to Paulina to keep Paulina down politically, while boosting up her crony Savannah Fineman?"

"I think that's what Walters was hoping everyone would believe." Franklin said. "And someone was also trying to leak to the Media that Walters was elevating me to chief ADA so it wasn't a racial thing. But there is no 'chief ADA', and I've also heard something else... when Walters decided to demote all of us to DDAs, she was not going to come back and promote me and Savannah, as someone leaked to the Media. Her real intent was to help Savannah win the Solicitor race, then she'd hire outsiders as ADAs over both me and Paulina. And if Savannah loses the Solicitor race, Miriam makes her the ADA over Paulina, and someone else over me."

"I'll also add this." said Franklin. "Walters has not had a one-on-one meeting with Paulina since you put Peter Blassingame away. Not one. She meets with the rest of us individually every so often, but not once with Paulina for weeks."

"Hmmm." I said. "That's a lot of intrigue. And people accuse me of creating drama in my MCD group." I glanced at Theo, who chuckled and exhibited his 'movie-star-handsome' grin.

"No sir." Theo said. "We know you're not a racist, sir, and whatever you do is in the best interests of the Police Force and all of us. And I have friends here and there, too. I've been told that Walters and Public Health Officer Beth Paige are good friends, and both have political ambitions. They're also friends with Susan Weston, who is now on the Council. Susan Weston hates Captain Perlman with a passion. And what I've heard is that they've got a plan. I don't know what it is, but they're up to something."

"I see, said the blind man." I said. "But who would Walters put in as ADA over you and Paulina?"

"The name I've heard whispered around is Jenna Stiles." said Franklin. "Another name that I've heard... is Gwen Munson, of Prodder, Ryder & Reems, P.C."

"Okay, then." I said. "Please say nothing of this conversation to anyone, anyone at all. I'll see what I can find out. In the meantime, what are you going to do, Franklin?"

Franklin said "You remember when Judge J.B. Stone was sent down to Coltrane County?" (Author's note: 'A Case of Revenge', Ch. 06, among other places.) "Well, we're getting that judicial slot back. And I've been considering running against Judge Harry Nance. If you know someone who could run as Magistrate Court Judge, you might want to have them run. I've heard that Judge Folsom is going to have you submit all warrant requests to the Magistrate Court instead of the Superior Court judges, which is more in line with how most of the State and Nation does things like that..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After most of the guests had left, Cindy and Teresa came out on deck to talk with me. Teresa brought Scotch and three glasses, and poured us all a generous libation.

"To the new score." Teresa said. "Iron Crowbar 2, Evil Spirits 0." She was also referring to the Slender Man encounter at Point Hollow.

"I'll drink to that." I said as we all clinked our glasses and sipped the Scotch. Well, I might've downed mine and poured another.

"Where's Betsy?" I asked.

"The girls are having a lovefest with Bowser and Buddy." Cindy replied. "So... now can you tell us what really happened with this case?"

"Sure." I said. "Just between us and the crowbars, though. Some of this is too strange to be discussed publicly in a Police Station." My Angels nodded their assent.

"As I've said before," I said, "this case was in two parts. First was who murdered Guru Stevens and those others earlier in the week. And then the whole Westbrook saga, leading to the events of last night."

I continued: "If Lawrence Evans is to be believed, which is sketchy enough, there were at least seven more people at the Point Hollow scene than the six that died and twelve others that lived. Who were those people? I can't prove it, but I believe they were undercover Federal Agents."

"The Rovers BAU?" gasped Cindy.

"Very possibly." I said. "Or another unit working for or with the Rovers team. My reasoning for that is this: they apparently weren't affected by the chemicals that incapacitated the others. I can say that because they're likely the ones that injected the neurotoxins into Stevens and the others, then they hauled the 12 others across the State Line to sleep off the drugs that had knocked them out."

"Why did they leave them alive?" Teresa asked.

"The slightly more accurate question is why Stevens and his people were killed." I replied. "They were killed because the killers knew they'd been arrested earlier, and that several people, including Jack Muscone for Tanya and Melina for me, investigated them, especially Stevens, to make sure they weren't undercover agents." (Author's note: 'Balance of Power', Ch. 02.)

I said: "The problem is that someone is watching Jack's people in the FBI Office in the City, and possibly here. I suspect those people are the Swamp Frogs that control the Rovers BAU team. When they saw that Muscone was looking into Stevens, they just had him and everyone who was arrested with him killed the next time he took them to Point Hollow, either believing them to be a threat, or just simply as a precaution."

"Was he undercover?" asked Cindy.

"I don't think so," I replied, "but I don't know for sure. If he was, then that information was hidden from not only the FBI, but from Melina, who has, shall we say, 'enhanced' capabilities to find things out." Both of my Angels nodded.

"So while I can't prove it," I said as Teresa poured more Scotch into our glasses, "it ties in with the second part of all this: Dr. Charles Westbrook. But let me go back to the beginning... 1882. Nellie Blye Westbrook was 18 years old. Someone in the family, possibly her own father, murdered her in a Satanic ritual. The demon was released, and he destroyed that property's ability to grow crops. The shrieks heard in Point Hollow were Nellie's, as well as others that died in the Hollow."

"Fortunately for Sophie Westbrook," I continued, "she was not a virgin, so the Cult had to find another one, at least 18 years old. They found Mary Gabriel, and they followed her around to make sure she didn't go off and have sex with some guy, and thus ruin their plans. But she noticed them and made complaints to the Campus Police."

I went on: "Guru Stevens was part of the cult group that was using that website. I don't know if it was started by Westbrook, or if he came into it later, but he basically took it over. Stevens knew the Release was coming soon, and went to the Hollow to try to release the demon himself. But he either didn't know the full story, or he'd been told alternate facts... fake news."

"So Bettina's involved." Cindy said with a great deal of snarkiness.

I chuckled. "Sometimes I wonder. Sometimes I wonder. Anyhoo, Stevens and his gang were killed. They were in the way. Of whom? Of the Federal Agents that had been tracking Westbrook for years, and were hoping to finally catch him in the act this time. Of course, if I'd allowed it to be done their way, Mary Gabriel would be dead, Father Romano and Dr. Mickelson would likely be dead, and we'd have, pun not intended, one Hell of a mess on our hands."

I finished up: "I'll add that Westbrook probably has murdered other women in his quest to release the demon, and that is why St. Louis became too hot to hold him. The FBI had been after him for years, with probably several BAU units assigned to go after him... by Executive Assistant Director Dr. Robin Isley. She wanted the citation for Westbrook's capture on her wall, and didn't care who died to get it."

"Wow." said Teresa. "Can I beat her head in, for putting Father Romano in danger?"

"No." I said. "I've got dibs. For what she said about Tanya." Teresa nodded.

"Well," Cindy said, "you're right that we likely will never be able to get proof of the murders, unless Melina or Laura can dig up something we can't. But what you said about Westbrook and the rituals and all that... again there's no proof, but it somehow rings true..."

Part 19 - Federal Issues

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, October 7th, from the weather station overlooking Point Hollow. "We are bringing you continuing coverage of the horrific events that occurred at Point Hollow Saturday night!"

Bettina: "The Police made over a dozen arrests after a cult group attempted to perform a ceremony that involved killing a young woman in a ritualistic sacrifice. The attempted murder was stopped by Police. Dr. Charles Westbrook, who was the first cousin of the late Pastor Raymond Westboro, died of an apparent heart attack after being manhandled by Police attempting to arrest him."

Bettina: "Police Chaplain Alberto Romano and University Biology Professor Mickelson were kidnapped and beaten by the Cult members, and were rescued at the Point Hollow site. Father Romano is recovering from minor injuries, while Dr. Mickelson remains hospitalized. A young woman, who was kidnapped with the intent to be the sacrificed person, was rescued and is reported to have no physical injuries."

Bettina: "Channel Two News has learned that the Town & County Police refused to work with the FBI on the case, despite the FBI's offers and requests to assist in the investigation. Reached for comment, Sheriff Antonio Griswold said that the FBI made a number of 'insincere' actions and statements regarding the case. He also stated that murder is a State crime, and not within Federal jurisdiction."

Bettina: "And now let's go to trusted reporter Lester Holder with news on the Board of Inquiry. Lester!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Lester Holder. "Lawyers for the NEA, the powerful Teacher's Union, has appealed the stay issued by Judge Rodney K. Watts which ended a Board of Inquiry convened to determine if Commander Donald Troy committed Police brutality in beating up several persons who allegedly assaulted Fire Chief Warren Davies and another person. Those persons are being defended by the NEA's lawyers. Judge Watts stopped the Board of Inquiry proceedings after Commander Troy and the Police Captain's Union sued, citing anti-Police bias on the part of lead Commissioner Finneran."

Penis Holder: "The appeal accuses Judge Watts of delaying a ruling in order to, quote, 'run out the clock' on the legality of Boards of Inquiry, which will be replaced by Boards of Inquest in January under the guidelines of the new Town & County Charter... which were written by Commander Troy. Commissioner Finneran has announced his candidacy for the position of Inspector General, which will oversee the Boards of Inquest. KXTC has formally endorsed Commissioner Finneran for the Inspector General position. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Lester!" said Bettina. "And finally, the Town & County Council meets tomorrow night, and sources tell Channel Two News that the Council will debate Police Department structural changes. The Police are making yet more changes, even after the recent passage of the new Charter, but in a statement to KXTC Sheriff Griswold stated that they will not consider dispersing Detectives to the Precincts. As usual, Commander Donald Troy refused to respond to repeated requests by KXTC for comment..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I can't respond to what they don't ask for." I said as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

"They leave recorded messages on Captain Thompson's inbox, calling at 4:00am." replied Commander Cindy Ross. "At this point, it's 'static'. Nobody cares."

Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle said "Bettina made a huge effort to not mention your name in the Point Hollow rescue, Commander."

Captain Tanya Perlman replied "I guess she doesn't want Commander Troy to have that citation on his wall." I chuckled at that.

I said, pointing at the Sheriff, "I'm wondering who this guy is, and what he did with Sheriff Griswold. Statements to the Press, Sheriff? To Bettina?" Everyone chuckled, and the Sheriff's mustaches quivered just a little bit.

"Har." growled Griswold. Then he said "There comes a time when we just have to say something to those Press bastards, and my ass is the one farthest up the flagpole. So I sent replies to a couple of Bettina's questions, even though they are questions obviously meant to create divisions and pit sides against each other."

Cindy asked "Should I read a racial component in them having Lester Holder give the segment about the Board of Inquiry?"

I replied "I am sure Bettina and KXTC would love to create that, but it's an uphill battle. None of the NEA-hired perps were black, Finneran is white, and there's just no racial 'there', there. It seems to me that they're positioning Penis Holder to be the anti-Police reporter, maybe to take Bettina out of that role, and maybe to slightly divert Holder out of exclusively race card issues."

"Sheriff," Tanya Perlman said, "Don stopped Dr. Westbrook, the TCPD has been in front of this case from the beginning, but why take those shots at the FBI?"

I came to the Sheriff's rescue, and interjected: "Because it's not over with them, yet." I said. "They're still going to come in and try to take away all the people we've arrested, and Isley is going to try to salvage what she can from it."

"That's Iron Crowbar thinking, there." said the Sheriff...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After their introductions, Catrina Pierce and Meredith Peller began their Fox Eight News report.

Meredith: "The Town & County Police broke up a Satanic cult ring, interdicting a ritual ceremony where the cult's leader, Dr. Charles Westbrook, attempted to murder a young woman as a sacrifice. The attempt was stopped by TCPD Commander Donald Troy, who physically prevented Westbrook from stabbing a knife into a young University college student, whose name we are withholding."

Catrina: "The Police report that Dr. Charles Westbrook was the first cousin of former First Baptist Pastor Raymond Westboro, who was allegedly the Consultant of Crime and the leader of a massive crime syndicate. Dr. Westbrook, who died of a heart attack at the scene of the crime at Point Hollow, had been a Professor of Psychology at two schools in Missouri, and was being investigated by the FBI for cult activities, as well as the murders of two women in Missouri."

Meredith: "And this just in: a set of human bones found on the Point Hollow property have DNA markers that lead Police to believe that the recovered remains are those of Nellie Blye Westbrook, who disappeared in 1882, and was still considered an active case by the University Campus Police. It is the oldest missing persons case to be successfully solved in this State's history, and credit is being given to Commander Donald Troy for finding the remains as well as suggesting that they were those of Nellie Blye Westbrook."

Catrina: "Police Chaplain Alberto Romano is also being praised by the TCPD for his actions during this crisis. He was kidnapped along with Dr. Mickelson of the University's Biology Department, and was commended for remaining calm during the situation and doing what he could to protect Dr. Mickelson. Commander Troy also issued a statement saying that Father Romano's faith and courage were a large reason for the successful interdiction of the criminals's actions."

Meredith: "And in other news, lawyers for six persons arrested by the TCPD for allegedly assaulting now-Fire-Chief Davies and a friend have filed an appeal to Judge Rodney K. Watts's stay of the Board of Inquiry into allegations of Police brutality. The Police Captain's Union and Commander Troy filed a lawsuit against the Board of Inquiry, after lead Commissioner Silas refused to recuse Commissioner Finneran despite being shown clear evidence of Finneran's bias against the Police..."