Reunited

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's very kind of you," he replied with a polite smile.

"You know I'm serious, right?" she said but not quite as quietly.

He didn't hear a word she said, because, in spite of himself, he'd turned to look. It was a casual glance, but he knew exactly where to look, and from his vantage point, he could see the starboard, or right, side of row 11 perfectly.

Her eyes were closed, but he recognized her instantly, and when he did, his brain went into overdrive, jumbling his thoughts into a muddled mess of confusion.

"I uh, I don't really need to go right now," he mumbled as he spun around and tapped on the door calling out to Paul.

The co-pilot unlocked the door and said, "That was fast. Everything come out all right?"

Normally, the old play on words would have brought a chuckle, but Dean was too rattled to think clearly.

"Yeah. Everything's fine," Dean replied absentmindedly.

"Uh, huh. Sure it is," Paul said as he looked at the young captain, wondering if he's share what just happened.

After several minutes passed in total silence, Paul realized the truth.

"It was her, wasn't it?" Paul finally said as he handed the pilot a wet wipe from a pack he carried with him.

"What's that?" Dean asked, Paul's question shaking him out of his obsession with what, or rather--who--he'd just seen.

"Why do you say that?" Paul replied, wondering why he was trying to hide the truth rather than share it.

"Danika. Row 11," Paul said.

Dean used both hands to rub his face and eyes then said, "Yes."

"Any chance you're gonna tell me who she is?"

"Just a memory," Dean told him wistfully.

"She doesn't look like any memory I've ever seen."

"I can't believe she's still so beautiful."

"Still? How long has it been since you last saw her?"

"How about 2004?" Dean told him.

"Fifteen years? Talk about a blast from the past, eh?"

Paul was from Minnesota, and the 'eh' thing, which was mostly Canadian, had long ago crept into his speech patterns.

"I can't tell you how many times I've thought about her over the years," Dean said almost wistfully.

"You know, I was just kinda doin' the math in my head, and that puts you pretty close to either still being in high school or just out," Dean said without judgment. "Am I wrong?"

"No, you're right."

Dean didn't say which of the two choices was correct, but Paul was on the money.

"I uh, I could go chat her up. You know, if you want me to."

"Oh. Um...thanks, but I don't think that's a good idea."

"Okay. Suit yourself. Just seems like it'd be nice to know if she's...married. Or not."

"It was a long time ago, Paul. I think it would be best to just let things lay where we left them."

Paul didn't respond, but he did say he wanted to use the restroom himself.

"Yeah. Sure," Dean told him.

The quick glance he gave him told Paul the captain was serious about not talking to the beautiful woman in row 11.

"Be right back," he said as he unbuckled and stood up.

After taking care of business, Paul stopped to talk with Nina, and although she'd never, ever flirt with him, she was always friendly enough. And that meant he could ask her to do something he'd been asked not to do.

"Would you do me a favor?"

"Sure," Nina said.

"That nice-looking woman in row 11...."

"Yeah, sure. I noticed her. She's very pretty--for an older woman. What do you need?"

"Can you maybe find out if she's, you know, in a relationship?"

"Paul! Shame on you! I didn't know you were the kind of guy who fooled around?"

"No. It's...it's not for me," he replied, now feeling guilty.

"Uh-huh. And you used to read Playboy for the articles, right?" she teased. "No problem. I'll have your answer in a few minutes after we finish the meal service."

"Thanks, Nina. You're the best," he said without revealing his true motivations.

She laughed then leaned closer and told him, "You got that right. And would mind letting the captain know that? Or rather...remind him you said it?"

Paul shook his head, but he did smile since he needed a favor.

"Sure. I'll let him know," he said with no intention of doing so.

Another half hour or so passed before Nina buzzed the cockpit via the intercom.

"Paul? I have your answer," she said.

"Oh. Okay. Shoot."

"She's divorced and not currently seeing anyone. How's that?"

"That's...that's great. Thanks, Nina?"

"Do you want me to let her know you're interested?" she asked very seriously.

"What? No. Please do not do that, okay?"

"Shy. I like that," Nina teased.

"Right. Uh...thanks, Nina," he said before cutting off the comm link.

"What was that all about?" Dean asked.

Paul was a terrible liar who seemed to get caught every time he tried so he came clean.

"Don't be pissed, okay, but I kinda had Nina do a little recon."

"You what?" Dean asked as he turned Paul's way.

"Sorry. You asked me not to talk to her, so I kind of asked Nina."

Dean shook his head but didn't reply.

"Bottom line is she's divorced and not seeing anyone," Paul said, hoping he hadn't just destroyed his credibility with the new captain.

As much as Dean wanted to be angry, he couldn't. In fact, this new revelation actually heartened him.

"So are you? Pissed off at me?" Paul asked with some trepidation.

"No. Not at all. In fact, I'm kind of glad you had her ask," the captain told him.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. I'm actually grateful. So...thanks."

"Whew. I thought you might write this up or something."

"No. No way. Not even if I was pissed."

He turned Paul's way again, smiled then said, "But I'm not."

Neither man had much else to say that wasn't flight related the rest of the way to Seattle. Dean landed the airplane as smooth as silk causing Paul to use one word to describe it.

"Glass."

They taxied to their assigned gate, then ran through their post-flight checks.

"Nice work, Captain," Paul told him as the flight attendants began opening doors.

"You, too, Paul."

"You sure you're not mad at me?" the older man asked.

"Nope. Not in the least."

"You gonna at least take a look and see if she recognizes you?" Paul asked.

"No, I think I'm just going to leave well enough alone."

"Your call," the co-pilot said as he stood up. "Mind if open the door?"

"No. Not at all. I'll just sit here and wait until the coast is clear."

Dean didn't get up, but he look behind him as the co-pilot opened the door. And in that brief moment, the unthinkable happened. Against all odds, at that very moment, Danika was walking toward the cabin and looked in just as the captain was looking back.

She stopped short so quickly the passenger behind her bumped her hard enough to cause her to lose balance. Nina reached out and Paul moved her way almost as though their movements were synchronized.

"Are you okay?" Nina asked as she caught Danika's arm.

"Yes. I'm...I'm fine," she said loudly enough that Dean heard her voice.

He'd turned back around by then, but that brief moment of eye contact was seared in his memory. Having already seen her, his shock was nowhere near that of hers, but even so, it had taken his breath away.

Danika, on the other hand, was so surprised it had momentarily paralyzed her. The eye contact was less than a full second, but the look of recognition on her face was so strong a blind man would have seen it.

Just the sight of her had rattled the new captain. Then there was the sound of her voice. That soft, beautiful voice that was also indelibly imprinted on his brain. Just those few words stirred up emotions he hadn't experienced at that level in years; emotions he assumed were either long gone beyond anything but fantasy. But as his brain sent out some kind of 'chemical wash' through his body, Dean realized they were very much still there and alive and well.

His palms were instantly sweaty in anticipation of her next words, words he knew were coming when she poked her head to say, "Dean? Is it really you?"

But those words never came as Danika quickly recovered then exited the plane without speaking, because the only person more shaken than Dean Norton was Danika Thomas.

As Dean sat there dealing with the flood of emotions, he was torn between trying to follow her and say hello and doing the right thing and staying put. By the time Paul stepped back in to tell him what had happened it was too late to try and catch up to her, and that was just fine.

"Your...friend...nearly ended up in my arms," Paul told him, exaggerating slightly as Nina was the only one to actually even touch her.

"Oh," was all Dean said as he stared straight ahead while the ground crew did its thing down below.

Once the last passenger was off, Nina let the pilots know.

"Okay, I guess I'll see you when I see you then," Paul told the new captain.

Dean stood up to shake his hand, knowing this might be the last time they flew together. Anything was possible, but with Paul staying in Minnesota, that seemed unlikely.

"It was a pleasure, Paul," Dean told him sincerely.

"Good luck--Captain," the co-pilot said with a smile.

"Thanks, Paul. Same to you."

The older man grabbed his hat and briefcase then deplaned while a certain flight attendant waited around--just in case.

"Can I buy you a drink, Captain?" Nina asked with a flirtatious smile.

"Oh, no. I...I don't think so. Thanks, though," he told her as they walked down the ramp together.

She touched his arm, stopped walking, and knew he would, too.

"Dean?" she said, boldly using his first name without permission.

He turned toward her and raised his eyebrows.

"Is it...me? Have I done something to offend you?"

"What? No. Of course not. You're a very good lead flight attendant," he told her.

"I'm not talking about my job," she said as she moved a little closer.

She reached up and ran her index finger under the lapel of his jacket then said, "I'm talking about...us. Socially."

"Nina, I'm flattered. I really am, but...."

"I'm not expecting anything in return. I'm not even planning on leaving my husband. I just want you to know I would love to spend some time with you."

She moved even closer then, with her cheek next to his, whispered, "Alone."

"I...I don't want to offend you, but I'm...I'm just not interested, okay?" he said as gently as he could.

Dean had no idea another flight attendant had walked back up the ramp to see where Nina was and stopped dead in her tracks when she saw what looked like a romantic encounter.

"Seriously?" Nina said much louder.

"I'm sorry?" Dean said, now confused.

"Oh, we'll see about this," Nina said, as she looked at the other woman on her crew.

"Okay?" Dean said with a little shrug, not sure what else to say as Nina gave him a snide look then strode off.

"Everything okay?" Dean heard the other crew member say as they headed back toward the terminal.

"He's got some nerve!" was the last part of their conversation the new captain heard as he, too, continued down the ramp alone.

He gave very little thought to their brief encounter as he took care of the post-flight paperwork. He didn't give it much thought because, to him, it was nothing, and perhaps more importantly, there was another woman taking up most of the 'RAM' in his brain as he called for a taxi to take him home.

He'd sold his older car before leaving Minneapolis, so in addition to needing a place to live, he'd also need a vehicle. He had five days off to get the ball rolling so he fully intended to take advantage of them and do some serious looking. For now, he'd spend the first day or two in the same hotel as the rest of the flight crew, all of whom were home based in Minnesota, and continue the online research he'd done since learning of his reassignment.

He breathed a sigh of relief when he didn't see Nina in the lobby as he checked in. He grabbed his room key then headed up to the ninth floor where he had a very decent room with a view.

But he no sooner finished taking a shower than thoughts of Danika once again filled his mind. He sat there on the bed, a wet towel draped across his legs, for several minutes debating then made a decision.

He pulled out his phone and started checking, having no idea whether or not she still went by her married name of Jones, a name so common that even finding a listing for Danika Jones might be coincidental. He did, however, know her maiden name, which was Thomas, so he began searching the White Pages trying to locate her.

His first search for Danika Jones yielded three results, but all three of them lived in different states. His heartbeat quickened as he typed in her maiden name and tried again. This time, there four results nationally, with one of them in the city of Auburn, where he'd graduated from high school, and where she was now teaching.

His palms were sweaty yet again as he sat there looking at the number and trying to decide whether or not to call. It could be an old number and not even work. But what if it did? What if it was the right number and she answered the phone? What would he even say? She hadn't even tried speaking to him, so it was quite possible she really did still harbor ill feeling for him. She did recognize him, though. There was doubt about that. But her decision not to even say 'hello' told Dean this was almost certainly a bad idea.

The 737 captain wasn't timid by any means. He'd flown numerous combat missions in support of ground troops in Afghanistan to include several that were called in 'danger close' meaning US soldiers would be very near the explosions caused from the ordnance he'd be releasing. He'd done so with nerves of steel, relying on the superb training he'd received, and no American had ever been harmed in the process.

Even so, a part of him was afraid, and as he vacillated between calling and putting his phone away, the fearful part kept telling him to leave things alone. But some other, louder, stronger, more aggressive part he couldn't control won out. He simply couldn't pretend he hadn't seen her or that his body hadn't reacted the way it had when she looked at him.

He took a deep breath then dialed the number and waited.

"Hello?" he that familiar voice say.

"Danika? Hi. It's...."

"Yes, I know," the sweetest voice he'd ever heard said just barely above a whisper.

"I...I hope I'm intruding or...."

"No. Not at all. In fact, I'm glad you called...Dean," she said barely able to say his name. "I felt so embarrassed for just pretending I didn't recognize you, and ever since I've thought about calling the airline to try and find you. So you're not intruding at all."

"You can't believe how happy I am to hear you say that," he told her as he released the breath he'd been holding. "And for the record, as far as the pretending goes,I did the same thing."

"No, it wasn't quite the same thing, I'm sure," she said, the strength of her voice returning. "I knew when you saw me that you recognized me, and I understood why you turned away."

"Wait. I'm confused. Why...why would you say that?" he asked as he sat up straight in the hardback chair.

"It's been 15 years, Dean, and we both saw each other today. You look even more handsome than I remember, but as you saw, I look every one of those 15 years older. So I understand why you turned away, and I don't blame you at all."

"Hold on. You think I turned away because I thought you don't still look beautiful?" he asked, trying to make sure he had her version of the event straight.

"Well, of course. I'm assuming that if you ever do still occasionally think of me...of us...that you have this fantasy version of me in your head back when I was young and...."

"Beautiful. That's the word, Danika. And because I did see you too, I can assure you that word still applies. Just as much now as it ever did."

He could tell she was smiling as she said, "Thank you. I like to think I was a reasonably attractive woman back then, but the difference in that woman and the one you saw today had to be nothing short of shocking. Or maybe even...scary."

"Wow. You have a completely different take on things than I do," Dean told her with a shake of his head.

Danika didn't comment on his reply. She just moved on to something else.

"I'll admit I had one another thought. I assumed you were either married, engaged, or perhaps living with someone. I could see any of those things being possible or even you being in a committed relationship of some kind."

"It wasn't any of those, either," he told her truthfully. "I've never been married or engaged, and although I've had a few relationships, none have ever been committed."

When Danika didn't reply, he told her his version.

"I turned away because I...I think I panicked."

"I don't understand," she told him.

"I'm not sure I do, either," he admitted with enough of a laugh that Danika quietly laughed, too.

There was another brief period of silence before she said, "Just seeing you for that quick moment really...it...well, it messed me up pretty bad."

She laughed again then said, "I've teaching for many years now, and I do know that's an adverb and it should be 'bad-ly', but I'm a little nervous, okay?"

"You're nervous? My hands are dripping sweat. I just got out of the shower, and I need to take another shower," he told her, his voice sounding more cheerful.

"Dean?" she said.

"Yes?"

"I...I'd like to try and make amends for not even saying 'hi'. I mean, if you're even willing to meet with me."

"I...I'd love to see you, Danika. Anytime."

"Have you had dinner yet?" she asked.

"No. I'm hungry, but I'm not sure I could eat just yet."

"Huh. Same here," she said very sweetly. "I was wondering if you might like to meet somewhere so we could talk. And I could apologize in person."

"I'd like that. On one condition."

"Okay," she said.

"This phone call is apology enough for both of us acting like...."

"Former lovers?" she said very quietly.

"Yes," was all he could say.

"I hope this won't be too awkward," she told him.

"Even if it is, I wouldn't pass up this chance to see you again for anything."

She laughed a little bit louder then said, "Even after having seen me?"

"That's one of the reasons my hands are so sweaty. Because I did see you," he told her in a way that she clearly understood.

"I'm sure that will change once you sit across from me and get a good look, but even if that's the case, I still want to see you again."

"Just tell me the time and place and I'll be there," he told her.

"Are you staying in Seattle?" she asked.

"Yes."

He gave her the name of the hotel before she said, "I still live in Auburn, so how about we meet halfway? Maybe in Renton?"

"Is the Wild Fin still there?" Dean asked.

"It is, but as I said, I'm a teacher, and if we're going to eat, maybe someplace a little less pricey?" she suggested.

"You can't possibly think I'd let you pay...can you?" he asked.

"I couldn't possibly assume otherwise," she replied.

"Well, please do 'assume otherwise'," he let her know. "It would be my pleasure to pick up the tab so not another word about money, okay?"

He could tell she was smiling again when she spoke.

"You've come a long way from the days when taking us to a fast food place in another town was all you could afford."

"Right! But I did manage to save up enough to take you someplace nice. Once," he said, both wanting to laugh and to savor that memory.

"That was a very special night for me," she told him. "One I'll never forget."

"Nor I," he replied quietly.

Danika hesitated because she needed a moment to collect herself. She'd thought of that evening a thousand times, and now here she was talking to the grown-up version of the boy she'd once loved when she had no business loving him.

"I'll see you at 7:30 then?" she finally said.

"You will," he told her. "And Danika?"