Revenge is Best Served Cold

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We will see you soon Officer Pemberton."

"Mrs. Singh. I don't think..."

"Goodbye Officer Pemberton." She hung up the phone. God, I had just outed her daughter. This was too much, even for me. What was I going to tell Lehka?

* * *

Lehka was thoroughly examined by two different teams of doctors. Physically she was unharmed. She had lost twenty pounds but was put on a plan to gain that weight back quickly. It was her addiction that was of paramount concern. Both teams of doctors agreed her addiction was not severe but there would still be a few days of extreme discomfort. I had to fend off Lehka's mother while she got through her withdrawal.

As promised, a couple hours later, Mrs. Singh showed up at the station with her husband in tow. She was wearing a fur coat, a colorful scarf, stylish hat and perfect make-up. Although she was in her fifties, her brown toned skin was clear and flawless. She was still a handsome woman and her resemblance to Lehka was unmistakable. I was standing behind the front service counter to greet her.

She recognized me instantly. "Officer Pemberton."

"Yes Mrs. Singh."

"Call me Eshana. I think we'll be seeing much of each other."

She pointed to her husband. "This is my husband Veehan."

I recognized him from the ceremony but we never talked, other than to say hello. "Mr. Singh."

"You call him Veehan. We'll call you Max."

"That would be great... Eshana."

I was surprised at her request for informality. Apparently Eshana had long ago resigned herself to the fact that her daughter was a lesbian and was trying to make the best of it instead of being, for lack of a better term, a pain in the ass. Thank God.

"Now... about our daughter..." She came up to the counter and put her purse on it.

"I'm sorry Eshana. She had a traumatic experience while in captivity. The hospital needs to hold her for a few days before you can see her."

Given her ability to sniff out the truth, I knew she was going to extract most, if not all, of the gory details. I wanted to ease her into the truth.

"Was she injured?"

"Not. Not really."

"What do you mean 'not really'?"

"I mean that the injuries she suffered were non-physical."

"Psychological?"

"Yes."

"Oh."

"I don't think it would be good to get into the details right now. You understand, don't you Eshana?"

She could read my eyes. "Why yes. I want to do what's best for Lehka."

"Then trust me Eshana. It's best we leave her be for a couple days."

She had relaxed her aggressive stance. She wasn't going to press me further.

"We'll get a hotel here. Do you have a recommendation?"

"Lehka's apartment. Why don't you and Veehan stay there? It's only a fifteen minute drive to the station."

"Where's Lehka?"

"Cincinnati General. It's about a ten minute drive from here."

"We'll visit her when she's ready?"

"I promise Eshana," I told her. "I have a few things to do here. My partner Lanny will take you to the apartment. I'll send him up."

I suggested we meet that evening at Nicky's. I wanted to spend time with them and assuage their obvious concerns.

I went to retrieve Lanny to square away Lehka's parents.

* * *

I got to Nicky's ten minutes early. Eshana and Veehan were already waiting outside on the sidewalk. Eshana was dressed to the nines and Veehan was wearing a coat and tie. The two of them were going to be the best dressed couple in the diner. Lehka rarely talked about her parents so I had no idea if they would like Nicky's homespun fare.

I was surprised when the couple looked around with smiles on their faces.

"Did you see it is fried chicken night?" Veehan said excitedly to his wife. His voice betrayed a slight accent, similar to Eshana's.

"Oh yes. I read about Nicky's in the Insider's Guide to Cincinnati," Eshana noted with pride. "Lehka talked about Nicky's with great affection."

Wow. My opinion of them went way up.

Nicky came by with a big smile on her face.

"Brought in some first-timers?" she asked me. She could see that Eshana and Veehan were happy to be there.

"Yes, these are Lehka's parents."

Nicky was delighted of course to meet them and spoke highly of their daughter. Even though she knew of Lehka's kidnapping and recovery she didn't think it was the time to broach the subject. All three of us ordered the fried chicken, along with mashed potatoes and roasted butternut squash. Nicky dropped off a basket of fresh baked rolls, which were still warm.

Eshana went first as she started in on a fresh roll.

"I can see why Lehka likes you." She looked at me with a keen eye. "You're an attractive woman with a strong personality. If she has to be with a woman, I'm glad it's you."

Life was full of surprises. I didn't expect this.

"I think the world of your daughter. She's smart, funny and beautiful. I'm so sorry we had to get to know each other under these circumstances."

"I'm sorry as well," interjected Veehan. It was good to hear his opinion. "I believe that in times of crisis people show their true colors. You have been very kind to us and we know to our daughter as well. We trust you to do what is best for Lehka."

"I appreciate your vote of confidence."

I couldn't believe how well it was going. Nicky showed up with a trayful of food. She started putting full dinner plates in front of each of us.

"Buttermilk?" Eshana asked her.

"Marinated overnight," Nicky replied as she offloaded garden salad plates.

Lehka's mother took a bite out of a thigh. The coating crackled as she bit into it.

"Umm. Outstanding Nicky. Really good."

"I have to agree," said Veehan.

We started into our dinner in silence. The fried chicken was great, as were the mashed potatoes covered in a rich gravy. Eshana posed the question that she wanted answered since the moment she arrived in Cincinnati.

"So tell me, what happened to Lehka? Don't sugar coat it Max. We need to know the truth."

I took a deep breath.

"She was... forced to use drugs."

Eshana and Veehan stopped eating and sat in stunned silence.

Eshana mustered the courage to ask the next logical question.

"What kind of drugs?"

"Heroin," I answered, not sugar coating the answer at all.

"Oh my God. Why?"

I was going to draw the line there in terms of full disclosure. I didn't think they needed to know about the plan for forced prostitution. Lehka could tell them if she wanted, but I wasn't going to.

"We don't know."

"Is she OK?"

"She will be."

"Are there going to be any long-term effects?"

"We don't know yet."

I could see anger boiling up in the reserved Veehan.

"What kind of animal would do this to her?"

"A very dangerous man named Olek Shevchenko. An evil man. We'll get him."

"He's still out there?" he asked.

"Not for long, if I have anything to say about it."

"You get him Max. You get him and you punish him for doing this to my little girl."

Eshana nodded in agreement.

"Don't worry about that. I will," I assured them.

The meal was forgotten, but their message wasn't.

* * *

The next morning I went to see Lehka. I talked to the duty nurse first, and found out she had a fitful night, including vomiting, sweating and chills. There were two officers stationed outside of her room. I poked my head in. She was awake.

"Come on in Max," she said in a soft voice.

I went to her bedside and took her hand. There was an IV line taped into the top of it. She'd been bathed, so at least she looked a bit better, and had lost the stench of her captivity. She did look as if she'd been through a war.

"How are you babe?" I asked her.

She managed enough energy to give me a smile. "Never felt better."

I rolled my eyeballs. "I can see for myself that your answer is bullshit."

"Can't fool you, can I Max?" she said in a scratchy voice.

"Nor I you," I answered.

"That's true."

She squeezed my hand harder.

"They hurt me Max... they really hurt me."

"I know."

I was about to burst into tears. I blinked hard and tried to keep my shit together for her benefit.

"I had dinner last night with your parents."

She perked up. "You did?"

"There was no keeping your mother away from Cincinnati. I had to use all of my persuasive skills to keep her away from the hospital until you were ready to see her."

"My dad's with her?"

"Of course."

"Jesus Max. What did you tell them?"

"I told them the truth about the drugs, but I didn't tell them what Shevchenko had planned for you."

"That's good. I'm sure my parents were shocked."

"For sure."

I thought I'd just spit out the other big development. Lehka would know when she saw her mother.

"Your mom figured out we were living together. She confronted me about that."

I could see the wheels turning in her head as she absorbed that bit of news.

"How was she?"

"You're not going to believe this, but I think she's fine with it. I overheard her on the phone telling your dad that she had suspected all along. I think she likes me."

"Really?"

"Don't act surprised."

"Sorry."

"I like your parents. I took them to Nicky's for dinner. Your mom had read up on the place. They loved the fried chicken."

That brought a smile to her face. "I've bragged about Nicky's. My parents are foodies."

"You never told me that."

"You haven't told me a lot of things."

Crap. That smarted. Even after all of what she'd been through, she still wasn't quite over my last fuck-up.

"I'm sorry."

What more could I say?

Lehka rubbed her eyes. "I'm feeling tired Max."

She was still extremely fragile. I gave her a heavy dose of news and hit a sore spot. It was time for me to go. I kissed her on the cheek.

"Get better. I'll be back later."

She squeezed my hand again and closed her eyes.

* * *

I went back to the station. Shevchenko had still somehow eluded our dragnet. We had no idea where he had gone. I doubted he would go back to Syd's or Kolba's, knowing we were looking for him. Since we had his safe house, his money and his minions, he was probably at the point of desperation. And given his disfigured face, he was too easily recognized out in public. I tried to put myself in his shoes and think where I would go. I thought this might be the time to hit the connections I made when I visited Detroit. Shevchenko might try to run. I called Captain Grosjean and fortunately reached him on the first try.

"Max... I heard about Shevchenko... and Lehka... tough break there. Is she OK?"

"I hope so. She's still in the hospital."

"Fuckers. I'm sure you're wondering if Shevchenko is in Detroit."

"The thought occurred to me."

"My sources say no. I guess his kidnapping Lehka and Rodriguez was not a sanctioned event. He's persona non grata here as far as I know."

"Let me know if you hear anything."

"Believe me I will."

His information was helpful. Shevchenko was cut off. So he was likely still in Cincinnati and desperate for money. He needed lots of it if he was going to escape undetected and find a safe landing place.

* * *

Two days passed by and Lehka finally felt strong enough to see her parents. Her superficial bruising was gone, and she had put on a few pounds so she looked much better. Inside though was another matter. She seemed withdrawn and our visits lacked the spark we had before. I was hoping it was just a matter of time before we could get back on solid footing. The doctors told me that she should be discharged in the next day or so.

I drove her parents to the hospital but waited outside the room. The visit went on for quite a while and I heard a lot of talking and crying. When they were done I went in to see her. She was propped up in a sitting position on her bed. Her hair was brushed and she had a hint of make-up on. She didn't look a whole lot worse for wear but I reminded myself it was a pretty wrapper around a damaged person.

"You OK?" I asked her.

"I guess," she sighed.

"I like your folks."

"They like you too. I don't know why."

I was happy to see that she was perking up.

"No accounting for their taste," I added.

"They seemed to have reconciled themselves to the fact that I'm gay."

"I kind of figured that."

"They're much more concerned about me getting better."

"Amen to that."

"I'm thinking about going back to Columbus. My mother can take care of me there."

I was going to lose her.

"I can take care of you," I offered. Was the offer sincere? She called me on it immediately.

"Are you going to quit your job?"

And there we have it. Checkmate in one move.

I thought about it for a minute. "I will."

She shrugged her shoulders. "Max, your job is your life. I wouldn't put that on me to make you quit your job. You'd be miserable and I would have that on my conscience."

I put my cards on the table.

"I don't want to lose you."

A tear started to trickle down her cheek.

"Max, I think you started to before all this happened."

Fuck. So that was it.

"I love you."

"I'll always love you Max. I'm just not sure it will ever work out."

"Can we not decide this here and now? You've just been through something truly horrifying."

"Of course Max. Just don't hold out too much hope."

I kissed her on the cheek. "You told me that hope is not a strategy."

Her eyes were tearing up as she looked at me. "I'm afraid it's all you've got."

* * *

I was there when Lehka was discharged from the hospital the next day. Her parents had packed her bags and were waiting at the apartment. The men guarding the room drove her back and I followed in my car.

I went up to the third floor. Her bags were already out in the hallway and the door to the apartment was open. Eshana and Veehan were standing in the living room waiting for me to arrive. Lehka was sitting on the couch.

"We tried to convince her to stay," said Eshana. "We like you Max. Lehka can be happy here, but we have to do what's best for her, and right now she wants Veehan and me."

There was no point in arguing. The only option was being gracious, which was definitely not my strong suit.

"I only want what's best for her, and if that means going back to Columbus, then that's what she should do."

"You'll visit?" Eshana asked.

"Of course."

"But you get this Shevchenko guy first."

"I promise."

"And then you come and visit. I'll cook for you."

"I can't wait."

I went over to Lehka and sat next to her on the sofa. I put my hand in her lap and she took it.

"Will you be back?" I asked hopefully.

She shrugged her shoulders.

"I love you," I said to her, and meaning it.

"I know. One day at a time Max. That's all I've got left in me."

That was all I could ask of her. I knew better than most that she was the only one who could bring her back to me.

"I'll be here waiting for you," I assured her.

She kissed me on the cheek.

"Sweet Max."

She picked up a small bag with a few of her belongings. The bags in the hallway were already moved down to her parent's car by the officers on duty. I walked with her to the elevator and pressed the call button.

"I'm not good at these sorts of things," I told her.

"Neither am I."

I could see a tear streaming down her cheek. She blinked hard.

"You take care," I told her.

The elevator door opened. Her parents got in first. She got in and turned around. She gave me a weak smile. The doors closed.

I stared at my future, which was a future without her.

* * *

I couldn't face being in the apartment without Lehka. I drove back to the Royal Palms, but not before a detour to my favorite all night liquor store. I know I'm weak. Once the reality of a life without my one true love crashed down on me the only refuge was the bottle. My judge, jury and confessor, all in a bottle that cost $4.99. I've confessed all my sins to my faithful companion, but in return it has given me nothing but heartache in return. But I needed the pain dulled immediately, damn the consequences.

I focused only on getting to the store and nothing else. Nothing to let my conscience intercede and stop me from falling into a bottomless well. Finally, the mecca made of cinder block and glass. It was starting to get dark and there was action in the parking lot. Reflexively, I looked at the hookers yakking away by their pimp's car, but realizing Brianna wasn't there. I recognized the pimp as Jimmy, Brianna's whoremaster. Jimmy gave me the evil eye when I walked by.

"Hey asshole," he said out of the side of his mouth as he held a toothpick in the other side.

I stopped. Normally I wouldn't. I'd just let it slide off my back. But my honey just left me and I hadn't yet had my first drink. Jimmy reminded me of Brianna.

I walked up to him within an inch of his face. I remind you, I was in my uniform at the time.

"Get your whore ass away from me," he said eye to eye.

I grabbed him by the lapels of his expensive sport coat that he wore over a black tee shirt. I was a couple inches taller than him. I hoisted him up so only the tips of his Italian loafers were hitting the ground.

"I don't like you Jimmy. I don't like you at all." I sneered at him. Think Clint Eastwood.

Jimmy was above me with his feet dangling.

"Let me down motherfucker."

I let him down but also pushed him at the same time. He lost his balance backwards and skidded on the asphalt parking lot, ripping a hole in the crotch of his pants.

"Looks like you have a hard time standing up straight Jimmy Beans." Brianna told me that it was her nickname for him and he hated it.

He glared at me one last time, sitting on his ass with a scowl on his face.

His whores were laughing at him in his ridiculous position. He had pimped up for the night in his expensive clothes and now they were ruined. I enjoyed the moment and then went to the door of the liquor store and opened it. I stood in the open doorway. Jimmy and the girls were looking at me.

"Brianna said you had a small dick Jimmy Beans..."

I could hear the girls hooting and laughing.

"And seeing your package through the rip in your pants I'd have to agree."

Victorious, I strode confidently past the aisles stocked with junk food and cheap wine and went to the back counter where they kept the good stuff.

Nigel was there, apparently a fixture along with the prostitutes outside.

"Long time no see Max," the Brit said when spotting me approaching him. He was perched on a stool reading some college textbook. He marked his page and closed it. "Usual?"

I thought about it. Maybe I'd get a bit out of my rut.

"Wild Turkey please."

He raised his eyebrows. "Not Maker's?"

Even he knew I was a Maker's Mark person. But maybe it was time for a change.

"I'll go the road less travelled," I told him.

"You're not going all Robert Frost on me are you?" the Brit asked.

Maybe I was getting a bit more philosophical after all of the crazy ups and downs I've had. Or maybe I just wanted to get drunk on something different.

"Bag it Nigel. I'll leave the weighty question for you to answer Mr. College Boy."

He smiled. "Only fifteen more credits for my degree."

He told me that a year ago.

"What will I do without you?" I asked.

He sighed. "You know I'm never leaving."

I gave him a knowing look. "Neither am I."

I left the all night liquor store and made the familiar drive back to the neon embrace of the Royal Palms. The parking lot had only a handful of cars. I parked next to where the pool used to be, now just a chain link fence surrounding a pile of dirt adorned with weeds.

I plodded up the worn concrete stairs to my second floor room carrying my best friend and my mortal enemy in a brown paper bag. I closed the door behind me and flicked on the light. No one was there waiting for me, not even Brianna's haunting memory. It was just me and the bottle.

I pulled the shiny glass bottle out of the bag, knowing my pain relief was in the clear brown liquid. Would I succumb to my weakness yet again? Would the memory of Lehka's withering, disapproving look encourage me to make the "right" choice? I knew the answers to these questions. They'd been asked and answered many times before.