Rings of Fire Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lauren's head spun with all the details and preparations that Brent had made. And all the responsibility that now rested squarely on his broad shoulders. But not even Atlas could manage this alone.

"Is my plane ready?" asked Monique.

"Yeah, both of them are fueled and waiting," Daniel replied.

"Only need one now," Monique looked directly at her.

Lauren shook her head. Her mission seemed even more crucial now. She opened her mouth to defend herself, but the other woman cut her short.

"Brent needs you here now, even more. You wanted another data point, mon cheri. Well, you just got it. Now work your magic and help us save some lives. And before you argue, you know damned good and well that you are the only one here with the skills to do it. Besides, your husband and daughters need you here now. And unless you are the biggest damned fool that ever walked, you'll realize that before it is too late."

Lauren still wanted to argue Monique's points, but the pain in the woman's eyes spoke louder than even her brash words. She sighed, "I'm still not comfortable inciting panic without first giving the proper channels a try," was the best argument she could come up with though.

But the truth was she did not want to leave Brent to face all this alone either. He did need her. She had always been his only comfort, and she wanted to be again.

"We still have my contact in D.C.," volunteered Daniel. "Geology may not be his specialty, but he knows statistical analysis well enough to make sense of any model or simulation. And he has contacts in NOAH and USGS too. It may not be perfect, but if we can get the information to him. I know he'll try."

"I'll take it," came a quiet voice from the corner.

Lauren had not even realized that Katie had followed them from their cabin, let alone into Brent's office. Their eyes met, "I have to get back there. I have to," her voice trembled.

Lauren crossed the room and took her tiny hands in hers, "Are you sure about this? I mean, you don't have to. We'll get you back there somehow, I promise. You don't need to delay with this."

Katie shook her head, "No, it's important. Other people need the chance to save their families too." She turned to Daniel and Brent, "So, what do you need me to do? How do I get this data to your contact?"

"The files are massive, but I'll have them uploaded to an external hard-drive. Just deliver that to Daniel's friend and then find your family, Katie. I'll give you a map to the extraction point in West Virginia. Since they are traveling overland in a small caravan of vehicles, we are delaying as long as possible with them."

"But we can't run the risk of them getting caught up in panic or strife. There are other safe houses along the way, though. I'll make sure you have a map of all of them. Just get back here however or whenever you can. You're family too," he said with as reassuring a smile as Lauren knew he could manage.

Katie's eyes glistened with tears, "Thank you both. I wish I deserved your faith and trust. Wish I could tell you more."

"You don't need to...and we do trust you with our daughter's life. So, let us help you with yours now," Lauren squeezed her hand tighter.

Katie nodded and turned to Daniel, "You'll get word to your friend that there's been a change of plans?"

"Yeah, I make certain that Zane knows. I'll have him meet you at the airfield tonight when you land. That way, you can get straight onto your errand," he replied.

Katie's face went white, and Lauren had to reach out and grasp her elbow to keep her from collapsing. "Zane?" her friend whispered.

Daniel nodded, "Yes, Commander Zane Rogers. Why? Do you know him?"

Katie squared her shoulders and shook her head, "Nyet," her hand flew to her mouth, "No, not yet, but I look forward to meeting any friend of yours."

Lauren studied the nervous way her friend shifted her weight from one foot to the other. "I better go and make sure I have everything. I suppose the sooner we take off, the better," her friend replied.

"Yeah, me too," agreed Monique.

"Not without my say, Monique," Lauren was surprised at how sharp a tone Brent took with his friend. "I want your word."

"Oui, mon ami, your word...or forty-eight hours. We do not have time to waste. People's lives depend upon this," to emphasize her point, Monique pointed to the live news feed that was beginning to have video footage of the continuing eruption of Vesuvius.

Lauren saw the dark cloud that passed over Brent's handsome face as he nodded his head reluctantly, "But a full forty-eight, Monique. No leaks. No games. Not this time."

"You have my word, cheri."

Lauren just hoped that the woman could be trusted to keep it and not seek out the limelight that was her reputation. "Well, I better get to work on the new data."

It seemed so callous that so many millions of lives were nothing more than 'new data.' But there could be millions, or even tens of millions, more counting on her getting that new data right, her calculations could save lives, or cost them.

She smiled at Daniel and Samuel as best she could manage, "If you could ask your wives to keep the cake and tea coming, I'd appreciate it."

They nodded as everyone filed out of the room, leaving just her and Brent. The door was not even closed until they found one another's arms. This was not sexual. It was as it always had been two halves seeking comfort and solace in the whole. Something they both needed at the moment. Without words, they held one another until each found the strength to face the challenges that lie ahead.

"Time to get to work, Dr. Masters," he teased as he powered up the simulation once more.

Lauren shook her head, "Mrs. Jacobs will do. Dr. Mrs., if you insist."

"Watch your cheeky mouth, woman, or it will get you into trouble."

She winked as she took a seat, "Or you, Dr. Jacobs." Licking her bottom lip as a tantalizing reminder.

"Only the best kind of trouble, sweetheart."