Rise of the Star Ch. 06

Story Info
A Galactic War.
16.2k words
4.71
1.1k
0

Part 7 of the 9 part series

Updated 02/01/2024
Created 11/16/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It is the belief that utopia does not last. Either internal factors such as the reduction of the quality of people that created such a place, external factors like greedy foreigners coming to take the wealth of this nation, or supernatural factors like He Who Is Everything mandating that his shards not allow a place to exist without him, for he is pain and without pain he cannot be. The Astoria Empire would reject the first cause, the lessons of the Outsider and their other education making sure that all their children would grow to learn of the world as a challenge to be faced, not a luxury to be enjoyed. They have defied the third since James was utterly unyielding before that corruption and extended that protection to his people, leading to much better humans. But they have yet to defy the second through more than refusing refugees.

Year 2398 After Arrival. The megastructures were completed and just a couple of the bigger projects were still ongoing, though the empire knew this was just a show of force, a luxury... they spent significant resources just to keep those things running and by comparison, planetside operations were producing far more. It was a time when they had everything. Not just the food to feed everyone in abundance, not just a great amount of consumer products to entertain and reward the hard work of people... but also a good society in which they may work.

Schools still focused on the 24 subjects that the Outsider had given them, with thorough research backing this basic education. People learned self-mastery from a young age, they learned their strengths and how they worked and could pursue further education to specialize in a role fitting not just their focus, but fitting their desire. From there, one could opt into the many jobs that each allowed a comfortable living, from which they could either settle into their position or shine above the rest and go further.

There have been many subversive attempts to destabilize the empire through diverse means... propaganda, youth conditioning, bribery, temptation, intimidation, political action, and outright raids contracted through the pirate clans. It never worked. People questioned the foreign information until its naked truth was shown, their children knew to ignore any attempt at demolishing their education, you could offer no bribe matching what the empire paid you to do your job properly, nor could any forbidden fruit entice them with any worthwhile success, the aliens' threats fell before a defiant people, their delegates outright dominated the Galactic Forum through even better maneuvers, and their unyielding defenses barely considered the pirate fleets worthy of an alert of any kind.

It almost tempted the empire people to applaud the defiance of the aliens. They had become the force to be defied. But their philosophy spoke of "defiance with reason", and so their reasons would be scrutinized and come short. Understandable from their position, but nothing to make Astoria rethink their course. They were doing nothing wrong. But James knew why defiance should be allowed. Why one needed means to correct something's course through other channels. Because when you take all other options away, there is only one left, one that is always there, and to some, it was the first option, to the wiser, it was the last. And the galaxy had one last chance.

And something else would help them.

*

Being the delegate of the empire to the Galactic Forum had never been an easy job. Jessica was the newest in a long line of people in this position. Women did it better, if only because they had such a good focus on the social subjects and could keep so many plots straight. Dozens of plots included her, most by her design, and there were hundreds of them ongoing just in this forum. But now she was faced with a much more difficult challenge.

She was having a cup of tea with her assistant, the silence in this well-decorated room noticeable, or at least the lack of conversation since there was a low, jazzy tune playing. And since Martin had yet to notice one fact, she brought it to his attention.

"Can you feel that?"

"You'll have to be more specific, Jess."

They were both in their early thirties and had been here for years. While working in the Assembly had reduced physical contact with aliens, it did mean that they could be far more open about their customs with the crew. These two had fucked plenty of times, as they have done so with most of those in this structure.

"The void. That gap of activity from our opponents in the Forum that shows something is up and we don't know about it."

"Ah, I... didn't. I mean, there are still a lot of things we know about and are developing."

"True." She took another sip of the warm beverage. "We could always rely on them not doing anything else when we knew of existing plots. But by now we have a good account of their resources and I can sense that not all are being used."

"We don't use all our resources, but that's because there is nothing more to use them on. Yet they don't have that luxury. Hm. You're right. I'm missing something. I don't feel it."

"Can't expect you to shoulder the galaxy. What would be my point, then?" A smile from her. "But I cannot help but worry of what we might be missing."

A slowdown might show that things were better, but they knew it was not the case. The aliens were plotting something and somehow they managed to evade their spies, their listening devices, and their many sources of information. Astoria was exerting more pressure on the Forum than the other empires combined. They had a lot of secrets to exchange for votes, a lot of resources to buy those secrets or the votes directly... even with the highest-desired prize of a welcome into the empire. Life here was just so damn good that people would betray their governments for it, especially if those governments were abusing them.

"Guess we just have to see what it is. I'll send word to raise our stakes. Someone's going to talk. The more people in a plot, the more holes things can leak out of."

"Mmm-hmm. Which makes me think that they have kept a small and closed circle. Distrusted even their closest advisors. It would be as if I would not tell you everything."

And she did tell him everything. The man knew her intimately. One might even compare them to lovers with the lengths they knew each other, but they were just friends and very close work colleagues. The same you could find in a lot of empire businesses.

"Then it must be important. But... it doesn't mean it has something to do with us."

"Oh, I can disagree with that. Not with fact. Just my shivers telling me it is." Beat. "And I suppose we are the biggest target. Like our titans. Who else but us?"

"Maybe they're finally going against the Imperium and they kept us out because we refused the previous calls to war. Might be about time."

There have been wars, but Astoria had none since the Raff. They were invited to wage it on others in the forum citing animosity and the desires of territory from their neighbors, an invitation declined as they had nothing to gain and far too precious things to lose. A few empires had disappeared... the Brig were wiped out, the Chir finally annoyed too many empires and faced a joint operation against them, Gehenna were finally taken over by their neighbors, and the Xen were bombed into oblivion in retaliation. But there were also new empires, those that came as pre-FTL species were no longer such, stepping into the galactic stage with very little territory to their name, there were nations formed out of rebellion against others, the Magoor having a vast amount of their bio-trophies escaping through violent means and setting up their own planets, the Al'tar split into two over ideological differences and the Zynn formed a few subject empires to increase delegation with the amount of territory they had.

"And perhaps we might have been tempted to help. Or it would make no difference for us to find out. No, I think they are after us. Let us hope we have enough to pass this challenge."

Still, the woman could not help but worry. Being in control of these external factors, even at least by knowing what was happening... was her job. And she was failing at it. Once, but it could mean more than the rest of her career. Later on, she could enjoy dinner before the planned meeting. Nobody was making their schedule around you and the next Forum meeting was set to be at 2:38 AM... not even an exact time because the aliens don't use the same system.

Dressed in her work clothes, ones to show a good deal of dignity and intimidation, riches and promises... she stepped toward the Forum chamber... a place that would contain only her and her "decorative" assistants, the rest of the view a hologram as if she was in the Forum proper. Those at the other end also had a hologram of her appear to keep the appearance. A few more balconies in this circular chamber, the empires of the galaxy now counting 32. Jess felt the coldness of the room aimed at her even through the simulated view. She was right... this was about them and here they come to show the result.

After the official mark of the meeting start, the count and such other bureaucratic traditions... the third-most powerful empire in the galaxy had their representative speak. The Zynn had expanded not just their territory, but also their military, their worlds producing a lot of resources... but James was right... quantity over quality over there. They were not keeping up.

"To address the subject of this meeting that we have discussed already... Astoria. You have refused all requests to share your wealth with the rest of the galaxy. This is a cooperation, not a tool to be used for your betterment. Will you support the other members of the forum and our efforts for a galactic unity or should we consider your adherence to this forum a lie?"

"Funny how you say that now, seeing as your empire at the time when it was first place was telling everyone to hold their own and not expect a handout. Rules for me, but not for thee? We have complied with all the resolutions passed in this forum. I believe such a conversation is more fit for a private diplomatic channel. Which we would still refuse."

"You forget yourself and your place. This...!" He was interrupted.

"My place is here as an equal with us. But you don't want that, do you? You want what's on the other man's plate and to not give of your own. No doubt you want to propose something along the lines of giving proportionally of your production, just enough so that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain."

"Equal. You have forced every resolution in this forum for the past three hundred years, you have dismantled everything you did not approve of and trivialized the participation of other delegates. Do not speak to me of equality!"

That was another delegate, the one from the Orian. And it was true... they have pretty much dominated the forum through their influence. Nothing even approached the table unless they wanted it and if they were against it, the galaxy could unite against them and still fail.

"Correct. So perhaps we should instead pass a new resolution, one to turn this community into a much bigger empire. If you want assistance, you serve. That is how it works."

Well, they might need to go through a few more resolutions for that, but the woman was not serious. Similar communities could instead lead to an empire turning the rest of the community members into de facto subjects.

"No." That was the simple reply of the Zynn. It seemed they were calling the shots for now. "Instead, I propose a new resolution. And one which I believe it is warranted to exclude you and your influence from it."

"Ah, so this is where you were going."

If you can't beat your enemies, take them out of the game by any other means.

"I propose that the Astoria Empire be declared a galactic crisis and all the community members declare a war of correction on them, for the greater good of the galaxy."

She did not have such an ambition and he knew it just as well. That last sentence was not believed. But she could sneak in one more thing.

"Oh, making others fight your wars? Over here we only send to battle those who vote to do it. Are you going to just say your vote counts for everything and everyone else should fight for you? Do you believe the community to be your subjects?"

"Can someone shut her up?! You will not disrupt these proceedings!"

There was a thorough attempt to block her signal, one that failed, but the woman stood quiet only because excess words would indeed be a disservice. She had to weigh them carefully, even as her heart was racing. Many who came here thought this was where you could start a war, but this was not how they imagined it. Her words did come through and that idea was supported... only those who voted would fight, even if on the surface the rest might claim to do so. Small victories... and important ones.

"Oh, we've been waiting for this! The Raff are with you all the way." A vote from the Junta.

"The Nex will not approve of this course. Consider us in opposition."

"Of course you are, useless tin heads. Maybe we should come for you too since you support them. Your worlds can fall easily to our efforts."

"You are welcome to test that hypothesis at your convenience."

A very slight show of amusement from Jess, the faceless visage of the Nex delegates turning to them as a show of emotion. Just a bit. There were far more votes in favor than opposition, with many simply abstaining, which might as well count as opposition. Up until this point, the Empire might have considered having other allies, but even the Cylla voted to fight, as did the Republic... and even Voor, the backstabbing fuckers. Minor empires pretty much stayed out because they could not give much and they knew that their one planet was easy pickings for an empire that had a planet killer, even if there were three other empires in the way.

But there was a very important vote done that day. A vote that that delegate did not realize had saved her species from extinction. As the turn came for the blue women of the Tan'a Hierarchy to show if they would wage war on the empire...

"The Tan'a... will not support this war."

"How dare you?! Do you stand with the heretics now?"

"Do not presume to speak for my people, counsel. Just because we share a method does not mean we are your tools. And we shall not. End of conversation. Move on."

Jess looked with curiosity at the Tan delegate. She had assumed all the spiritualist empires to want them fucked into submission. Why was she not doing what every other empire with at least three planets and a strong state religion was doing? It was not fear... these people were now reinforcing each other, the more voting in acceptance emboldening others to even change their vote and go to war. That mob mentality. But they didn't.

The Tan never had good relations with the Empire, but neither did they have bad ones. There was no territory to fight over due to the distance between them, there were the ideological differences between an empire that questions everything and one that expects faith, there were many interactions between their delegates, and there was the bleeding of Astorian culture into the rest of the galaxy, from which the blue space babes could learn of them.

Astoria had been a curiosity because despite on the surface looking like they had no faith, almost every interaction showed in them a determination in that faith that not even their people could claim with as much prevalence. There were always deviants, but the astorians seemed to have such faith in their "Outsider" that it might humble even one of their praetors. And at this moment, one where this woman was being ganged up by forces greatly above her in number, the Tan delegate noticed that fear, but she also noticed that faith shining, holding her there like a shield against the storm, as if their god had his hand on her shoulder telling her that it would all be alright and that these forces are nothing before them. It was both scary and admirable.

"Then we have our majority. Consider yourself expelled from this community and a target for this corrective action. You would do best to submit or things will get worse."

"We have been taught to defy and defy we shall. You will need to put some substance behind your threats. And you can't expel us because we quit. The Outsider did say that this effort was nothing but your attempt at subjugating others by proxy. Ran out of options, have you?"

She might have faced further words, but the woman cut the line and took a moment to hold that before her image broke down. No more need to hold it. Her heart was racing and the temptation to fall apart was on her. Breathe and it will be over.

"Fuck. Well, that's that, I guess."

As with all wars, it would not immediately go into full annihilation. The conflict escalation ladder was only on the first step, on the step of them hoping just the formal declaration was enough to make the other side fold. But they would go through the steps and get even worse.

They were ready.

*

In this meeting room atop Hope's Landing, the atmosphere was tense. Not even a piss party might make it better. THE most important figures in Astoria were together in person... the ministries, the overseer, the delegate... you only needed James to also show up but his chair was empty. Sometimes that was a good omen, the god thinking they have this. And he was right. He was usually right.

"Let me first start by saying Jess here did her best and you couldn't get an AI to do better. I think Mina here has our proof."

The overseer was an older man, his seventies treating him well due to modern medicine. John had served for decades and had the trust of just about everyone that he had the best in mind for Astoria and its people. He gave the word to the Gull girl in a dark blue uniform, the fleet admiral and minister of defense indeed having proof.

"Yep! Though, I guess this is something Kelly also can talk about." That was the minister of espionage to her left. But the Raff fox-girl let her shorter friend talk. "Those that stayed out aren't mobilizing anything. Claiming a lack of resources but... well, they said they'd fight, but might be persuaded to give up just with a show of force."

"Might just be waiting for an excuse. For us to show up and them to fold immediately. But, here... something to show Jess did good."

"Thank you." The woman felt terrible and that was a much-needed boost. "I have tried to dissuade some other actors after the fact, but they denied any call. Even the few we have in their ranks seem to be unable to approach the subject."

"I think that might be down to their reason." The chief of research was in her clean-white uniform. "Perhaps we can talk on the subject of what they hope to achieve. I doubt it is what they have presented."

More voices came together. The minister of state, the chief of production, the planet governors, the megastructure oversight chiefs... not too many. But they all had something to say.

"True. This is not correction. We aren't threatening them in any other way. We've declared our intentions to not expand for over a thousand years and held to it."

"Actually, there is a threat. We are doing too well. From what I could gather from their planets, our success, even if it is independent of their own, is causing a thorough rebellious sentiment in their people. Either because they can't come here or because it's not as good."

"Makes sense. When another does better than you while not using your methods, those necessary measures begin to look like ill-thought and oppressive ones. Why are they doing better when we aren't? I assume there is tremendous propaganda on the effort."