Road Tripping Pt. 12.5 - Time Trip Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Five of those awaiting them on the dock were military men dressed and armed for combat. Talking with the tallest of these warriors was a tall woman who was also armed with a sword and wore an elaborately embroidered tunic that had a crest in its center like the ones on the shields and breast plates of the warriors. Leandros had been told that men and women were treated as equals in this society, and it was obvious that the woman on the dock was the one giving orders to the tall guard.

She also appeared to be the same dark-haired woman he had seen bathing outside the large building ahead in the basin on the wall outside yesterday. She called out to him to state the name and origin of his ship, where she hailed from and his business in Cortinarius.

"This is the ship Zenais, and we were sent here by the court of Pharoah Mentuhotep the Second with his emissary Metpat, and several messages for the court of Cortinarius and her ruler Basilia, or those who have succeed her. No direct communications have been made with your land for some time. I am Leandros and I am in command of this ship, and she originally hails from far away in the east from a port on the great sea beyond the pillars. May I ask whom I am addressing."

"I Am Myrine, Protector of the Priestess of Insight and the School of Cortinarius."

"It is my honor to meet you Protector Myrine and all who are with you. May we tie up on your pier and bring the emissary in. We have some tributes from the court of the Pharoah and his regent as well, and we carry some goods for trade also."

"If there is no sickness on board, you are welcome to tie up to any of the posts you would like to, and we will stand ready for your lines."

The sail was lowered, and the sweeps brought out again with Leandros at the bow with both rope and a sweep to keep them from hitting to hard as Amaros went abaft to have more ropes ready to tie their stern off. Nikephoros was at the center after helping to lower the rig and stow and tie the sail up before preparing more ropes for lashing and their wide planks for disembarking to shore. The sides of the ship stood two hands higher than the pier and soon higher once they had unloaded all they brought for trade and from Pharoah.

Aside from two ceremonial daggers worn by the Egyptian official and his aide, Leandros had ordered that all weapons to be stowed since this was to be a completely friendly visit and he wanted no misunderstandings.

The approach went well, and they tied up three-quarters of the way up the pier. Leandros was the first to throw the ropes off and was off the ship to help tie her before all were ready to formally receive them. A Captains work came before official greetings.

He did smile and bow slightly in respect to Myrine who oversaw the guards helping them from a short distance away. In a moment he and Amaros were aside the gangplank standing erect as Leandros announced the official arrival of, "Metpat, the envoy of Pharoah Mentuhotep the Second and he wishes to convey their respects and request to meet with the leaders of this land at the Pharaoh's request and indulgence's."

The envoy was greeted by Myrine and welcomed to their land. After a moment of introductions, all but two members of the crew began to walk up in behind Myrine and the envoy who were talking and introducing Jonas who came up to join them along with two of the boat captains.

Out of deference to her and Metpat's position, Leandros remained half a step behind Myrine to her right while talking with her and the envoy, while his uncle engaged the tall guard and Jonas on his left. It was formal but relaxed as all walked up to the nearby great stairs leading up to the islands marketplace and official's buildings. Tables and chairs from many of the residences and the school and palace had been brought together for all to meet and hear not just from the envoy, but also the story singers that had been signaled about by Jonas after his earlier messages.

All but a handful of the people of Cortinarius were there to meet the envoy and the others who had arrived. Basilia, who was now approaching her sixtieth year was still a strong and imposing woman, warmly greeted the envoy who she had known as a young scribe when she had visited Egypt thirty-five years earlier. She was flanked by Zephyra and Hyacinthe and after formal introductions all were invited to sit at a great outdoor reception and banquet.

Zephyra led a brief ceremony thanking the Gods for their safe arrival and welcome to them and all of the Gods they held sacred. All beliefs were respected here the same, as all were expected to return this tolerance while on their shores. Five of the amphorae of fine Egyptian beers were brought up quickly and all were invited to try some of this rare beverage that would not keep well for many more days. The wines would be brought to places of safe storage for later sharing with all the people.

Zephyra had been the one to set up where all were to be seated and she made sure to put the captain of the ship between her and Myrine so both could get to know him and make sure he was worthy of her dearest friend and lovers virginity. If he was shown to be a bad, ignorant, or uncontrolled person, he would be treated fairly with his mission, but Myrine would not be with him in any personal way.

The reception went well for all. Although it took some time to get used to the others accents most were able to communicate well within an hour. Myrine and Zephyra were pleased to find Leandros to be a pleasant and humorous man to dine with. They knew he was being on his best behavior, but the signs were all good that he was "The One" and he was indeed worthy of Myrine's love and respect.

Leandros kept his wits about him as he had ordered his crew to do also. They limited how much beer and local wine they consumed. Many were just happy just to be able to have some fresh water after drinking from the amphora for the last several days.

After their last receptions in Egypt where there was endless formality and ritual, this whole gathering was refreshing to all of the guests. Several groups of young adults played pleasant and happy music. The food was simple but well prepared with many unusual herbs and spices, and all in attendance, most of the inhabitants of the land, ate the same foods from the same sources.

Leandros and Myrine both noticed the envoy and his assistant looking a little lost at the lack of formality in this event, even after having lived on the boat ride with many in a relaxed way for twenty days now. The training of their court was hard for them to overcome. They made a few quiet jokes between themselves about this and other things as the formality melted away between them they talked more of their lives.

For most of the midday, until the sun began to grow low in the west, the banquet carried on with more music and the three-story tellers who had just arrived with Leandros, each presenting a new tale for all the people there. Leandros and the Envoy also insisted that Leandros' Uncle Hector, also tell one of his tales, since he had already had Basilia laughing at a story he had been relaying to her over some honey cakes.

It made Zephyra's heart happy to hear her mother laughing and happy, talking informally with someone near her age. She had been alone for a long time.

They still had some light left in the day as the reception came to an end and Leandros begged the indulgences of Basilia and the rest, saying he had to unload some of their cargo and asked about where his crew could stay for the short term.

Quickly, twenty men from Cortinarius led by Jonas were going with Leandros and his crew to quickly unload all of their cargo's and house them safely and bring the rest of the crew to town and show them the guest quarters that were available to them. Tika was now allowed to join Leandros as the cargo was unloaded and she could stop guarding her ship.

Tika had been happy to see no local vermin attempted to enter HER ship! Fish tasted much better than rats to her.

On the balcony of Zephyra's room, old Zoser stood with his nose and tail in the air, at a scent on the wind he never thought he would smell again.

All of their cargoes were brought to the reception area in a steady relay before the sun set and most was stored for the next day when Basilia said the Pharaoh's tribute to their land would be unveiled for all and whatever goods Captain Leandros and his crew had for trade would be made available to be seen then and its value discussed before trades were made.

Neither Leandros nor the Envoy, Metpat, understood quite how this was all going to work but both were going to be "Strangers in a Strange Land" as they had been told by Pharaoh Mentuhotep II before their mission. They were instructed to. "Go along with things, and all would come out well, they were told, as long as no one acted STUPID or GREEDY!!" The old Pharoah's EXACT words to all going to Cortinarius.

Leandros had already paid his crew for the full mission, and all knew anything they received here was just extra honey on the loaf. More than a few were growing tired of the life on the sea and had saved and were looking for a place to make their own, including the two couples in the crew, one of which was now expecting a child in the winter and secretly Leandros himself was ready to settle down after six years at sea.

Tika supervised most of the moving of the cargo and most of the crews personal goods to their shore quarters from Leandros' shoulders. Leandros, the Egyptians and his Uncle and Nephew were all given quarters in the main complex, in rooms that had not been used for this kind of reception in over seven years.

Leandros looked over all around him while they were settling him and his crew in before a later more private meeting. He took a moment when Zephyra, who was scratching Tika's head, and he were away from the others, and asked if he could talk with her for a moment.

He asked if there were any local rules of conduct that his crew should or must obey. "I do not wish to offend anyone or any local Gods, rules, or taboos. My crew is wise and will follow any customs, so we do not offend anyone or cause a problem with our mission."

"Thank you for your wise question. Please tell your men and women they are free to go among our people and talk and get to know them. Violence is the one thing that is not tolerated here and if your crew are seeking any gambling or sports of chance there is none of that here and there are no public houses for drinking or herbs of pleasure."

Then she added to Leandros with a deep green-eyed smile. "Here the most important thing you can know is that kindness will be rewarded with the kindness and love with love. Your crew behaved well, and it was good to see them consume the beverages in moderation. Thank you for telling them to do that and thank them from me."

"I find you are a wise Captain, and I am glad we have met. My mate Jonas who met and spoke with you on the way in was impressed with how you and your crew handled your ship."

He nodded his head and said, "Thank you, I hope we can all talk more later after the next ceremony."

"We will. I have a feeling you will get to know all of us better over time here. You're getting better with our language I have noticed already."

"I am fairly good learning new ones, and I have heard and learned similar languages around the sea as we have traveled. I was even able to learn some of the Hieroglyphics in Egypt. I know there are orders from the Pharoah for me on at least three of the scrolls we brought. I have seen some of your written words in the building here and I hope to learn some of it before we continue on our mission for the Pharaoh."

Myrine and Leandros' Uncle called out for both of them at the same time, as they smiled, and he spoke. " This is what happens when you are in charge." Bringing a laugh from Zephyra and a confused look on both Myrine and Hector as they came around the corner laughing while Tika looked over at the headpiece she was wearing from his shoulder and was debating if she could take one of the shiny pieces for herself.

He and his Uncle went to talk with his nephew and the rest of the crew about what Zephyra had told him and the extra amount of respect he expected of them around the people here, telling them. "They would be here for at least thirty days and there was no need to try meet all the women the first night here, he joked looking at his Nephew, and then at his Uncle, No matter their age and Position in this land!!"

Most of the crew was exhausted and both of the women in the crew said all were done for the night once the lands storytellers ended their nightly songs and went to their beds. All would have an early and busy day tomorrow.

Early tomorrow they would haul the now mostly empty Zenais onto shore to check the hull and keep the ship worms from eating at her in the salt water. More would be known by the morning of their full mission, but they did know they were to sail to a larger land nearby in the next thirty to forty days and they would be paid more and likely gain another mission for the Pharoah.

While they were talking to their crew, Zephyra and Myrine had a chance to talk alone for a moment in her chamber while Zoser was all around their legs acting crazier than he had in years. "I like him Myrine. He is a good man from all I have seen in his conduct and in his deep blue eyes. How do you like him my dearest love?"

"He seems to be a good man so far and I do feel a heat between us, and He is the one from my dreams. Of that I am CERTAIN!!"

"Part of me wants to take him to my chamber this night but I know it would be wrong and although I think he would come with me I can tell he would rather know me before we join. Do you think he would join me with the sacred mushrooms before we are joined as one of the flesh?"

"I think it may be best. I think he is a good man and is the one for you. He is kind, intelligent, wise, and pleasant to look at. We will show him and his crew our baths tomorrow, although they are clean for having been at sea for many days."

"There is also a deep sadness in his eyes he has not told us of yet, but that can wait for the mushrooms of insight. We will not serve them any of the sacred wine tonight. It is too soon for that, I can feel." Zephyra said as she clutched a large crystal she wore and then adjusted her headpiece a little while Myrine repined it on the left.

Shortly all met in the great hall of their main sanctuary. It was richly decorated with many tapestries, beautiful inlaid furniture, and many paintings in the walls plaster, that were illuminated by the dozens of lamps lit and lighting and reflecting off it's mostly white ceiling. There were seven ornate tables with four or five chairs at each of them. Zephyra led all into the room to the seats she wished them in as her mother sat at the center of the largest table that was slightly raised and faced all the others. The Envoy Metpat, Hyacinthe, and two other older men sat at this table. Leandros was at the front right table of two rows of three tables with Myrine, Zephyra and Jonas.

Just as all were being settled and Jonas was beginning to talk to all gathered, the heavy tapestry at the main entrance was pulled aside and another woman in her forties came in, apologized, and went to talk to Basilia as Zephyra went up to listen to what was said.

A moment later Basilia announced. My honored guests I would like to introduce our lands finest healer Theresa. She has been attending a difficult birth, but we are happy to report, Mother and baby are well, and they are being watched over by her apprentice tonight.

All were heartened to hear the good news, even the new arrivals. When Zephyra looked into Leandros' blue eyes, she now thought she may have understood the sadness buried in him. In the past he may have lost a child or the mother or both.

That was the kind of thing that could drive a man to sail halfway across the world they knew.

All were soon seated with the Envoy's aid now in his simple Scribe wrap at his waist and a large pile of blank papyrus paper and an ink pot and stylus on his small table he sat before to record all said here in a less formal writing the Egyptians could use like a form of shorthand.

Myrine mentioned to Zephyra while all were finishing getting settled that the scribe had more of the rare "paper" than was in the whole of their land, and she would ask him after if they could trade for some of this rare paper for them to add to their written knowledge.

Hearing this distracted Leandros from the moment of sad reflection brought on by the news of the difficult birth. He had stored in some of the goods he had, a large quantity of the papyrus paper for trade, or he may just gift it to them as a further gesture of goodwill.

Here it seemed was a place where he may even consider settling down if they were to permit a foreigner to live here. He was enjoying the peaceful existence they lived here and was already feeling an attraction to the Protector, Myrine he had not felt in another since the death of his wife in childbirth 6 years earlier.

They were still almost children when they held the ceremony under the great trees and all was joy for almost a year, they were one, until he lost all on a cold and windy afternoon, so fast he did not even get to say goodbye before she bled out in their home with the midwife.

Leandros was not unhappy with his life at sea, and he had seen more of the world than almost anyone they met. He did not like much of what he saw and knew even his homeland was rife with conflicts and violence, usually justified by greed.

They had done well without being greedy with those they delt with and he had accumulated some wealth in gold, other metals, and precious stones he had hidden in his ship and cargo, along with some held safely in Egypt. He had thought that there could be another place to settle. They did have things he felt were not right, but they were highly civilized, and he would be allowed to settle there he had been told.

The Envoy, Metpat, now opened the first of the sealed scrolls he had brought. He read off the dedication and flowery pronouncement of friendship. To the rulers, priests, and people of the land of Cortinarius. It took the scribe until his second sheet transcribing before Metpat got to the heart of the matter.

The Pharaoh's son was now to be installed as regent and would be taking over many of the day-to-day responsibilities of the aged Pharaoh. It was "Humbly requested that a delegation from Cortinarius come to Memphis in Egypt and perform some of their sacred mushroom rituals with the Regent, who would be crowned Mentuhotep III, to hopefully help enlighten his future rule.

Two more scrolls of friendship were read in the name of other lands, and a request to meet with their leaders also while they were in Memphis. The next two were shorter and more to the point. They laid out a request first for a visit to the full Ambassador at the large island to their north and to then convey him for an official visit to Cortinarius and then to bring all to Egypt in the late winter when the winds would allow them to sail directly to the Nile delta.

The Last scroll for the night it was decided was the first one with Leandros' cartouche next to its unbroken seal. He was asked to be the one to convey all on these many trips. He was to very well paid when he succeeded in finishing his missions with a very large sum to be paid in advance when the Ambassador was met. The Pharoah had seen the ship and met the crew and he wanted to keep them happy, and the ship well repaired for the journeys he explicitly said. He did not want to have local interests in Egypt, involved in the transport of such important guests.