Rose Ch. 37-41

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
partwolf
partwolf
2,314 Followers

Derek laughed as he typed. "Gunny doesn't give up, Rose. Death won't take Gunny because he's good for business."

"Damn right. He knows his place is here by my side." My hands were on my stomach, my cat was purring in the background. She wasn't worried like I was, she knew he was a strong male, no newly turned feral would beat him. I tried to reach out through the link, knowing it was futile at this distance.

He got another message, this time from Josh. "Josh and Charlotte just left, she wants to talk to you."

"I can't, you need your phone for updates," I said. Derek clicked his fingers and the warrior riding shotgun passed his back, it was already opened. I quickly dialed the number and he answered almost immediately. "Josh, it's Mom."

"Oh Goddess, Mom, is he all right?" I could hear Charlotte talking in his ear, asking for updates.

"Put me on speaker, please." He did. "Baby, he's hurt bad. We don't have much information yet, but Doc Terry is there with the Gila helicopter so he's in good hands, all right?"

"What happened?" She was crying, they had become close over the past few weeks.

"They got the Scrabble killer, they didn't know there was another sniper backing her up," Derek said. He had been getting a raft of text messages from the site. "Gunny knocked the sniper out then went to save his buddy who had been shot. The sniper did a forced turn and took off, Gunny went after him."

"I'm going to smack the shit out of him for going off without backup," I fumed. "What the hell did he think he was doing?"

"You can berate him when he's better, Mom." There was a pause as they talked. "We will be there in about twenty minutes, they say."

"OK, we're pulling up to the plane now. Be safe and I'll see you soon." I hung up the phone and handed it back. We had pulled into a different hanger, the executive jet that had been loaned to the FBI task force was now waiting for me. I didn't have anything other than my laptop to carry. Derek escorted me up the stairs as one warrior waited by the hangar door, while the other drove off. "Where's he going?"

"Food run. They should be able to make it back in time; one of the Pack members owns a restaurant near here, as soon as I knew we were coming this way I asked him to get some meals ready for you and the crew."

"Thank you." We collapsed into the chairs as the pilots continued their pre-flight checks. I looked over Derek's arm at the cellphone, which was getting near continuous updates on the situation. The Scrabble Killer was on her way to the human hospital by ambulance, missing a foot and a hand. "Gunny went for limbs?"

"No, Alex said Lars Thorssen took the shot."

"Lars? Who is he?"

"He was Gunny's spotter in the Marines a while back, he volunteered to help him out on the ambush. Alex said he couldn't take the shot, his fifty cal would have destroyed her and they wanted her alive."

"I don't," I said.

"Well, the families of the victims want her that way. It's our way; the ones who lost their mates and children will be the ones to take their revenge if they choose. She was on Pack lands, she will face Pack justice."

"Good," Josh said. "I know the Albertson's will want their turn on her." Charlotte looked at her funny. "When something like this happens, the sentence in a Pack trial is usually death. The sentence is carried out by the families of those who the person hurt, so all of the victim's families would have the chance to be present and participate in her execution."

"But... that could be dozens of people!"

"Yes," Derek said, "But it can be done. When we captured a pilot who had bombed our Pack, he was sentenced to death and the whole Pack got a cut. Doc would heal him to ensure he wouldn't die too early, and as Alpha I was to get the final cut."

"That's medieval," Charlotte said. "But I like it."

"You'll get your chance on Luis if we get him," I said. "After all, he did try to kill you. The Nutcracker can take her revenge, just like everyone in the Pack House at the time will get a cut if they want." She snorted at her nickname, the video was still top three on Youtube.

The food was delivered just before the copilot came back to close up the door. We said our goodbyes and thanked Derek for everything. "I love your house and land," I told him. "I'd love to visit again if you'd have us."

"I'd like that," he said. "Now take care of Gunny." He walked down the stairs, and everything was closed up. A few minutes later we were taxiing to the runway.

Josh's phone started to ring. "It's Robert," he said. He answered it, putting it on speaker and telling him he was with us in the plane.

"Guys, Gunny is going to be all right," Robert said. "I've been linking with Doc, he said Lars did a great job of stopping the blood loss and the artery is repaired. They still need to stitch him up and replenish his blood supply, but he will recover fully."

It was like a flood of relief through the plane. "Thank God," I said. "Can I talk to him? Are they home yet?"

"No, they are twenty minutes out. He's still unconscious, he was like that when they got there. She said his pulse is good and he is healing already. They are leaving mind link range, when they get close enough they will link Renee and she will pass the message along. Ella is waiting there for them, she will watch over him and help him heal until you get there."

"Thank you, Robert. You guys have done so much for us, I could never repay you."

He laughed a little. "I could say the same thing about you and Gunny, Rose. You're family, and we'll do anything for family. I'm almost to the site, I have to go." He hung up just as we started our takeoff run.

We continued to get updates on Gunny as we flew, first from Alpha Renee and then from Ella as the helicopter arrived at the clinic. Gunny had been rushed into surgery, but it went well. He was sewn up and put into a hospital room an hour later. He was still in panther form, and Ella shifted into her panther and lay next to him to help him heal. Renee sent me a photo of the two of them, the big, muscled male with bandages on his neck and shoulder, and the sleek female alpha. I was much relieved, and was looking forward to taking her place. Charlotte was going to find a way to squeeze in there herself, or at least stay in the room.

We had also been updated on what was happening at the site, and Robert was kind enough to send me a photo of a handcuffed and VERY afraid Luis Hernandez in the back of his SUV, heading for the pack prison. He turned the phone over to Lars Thorssen, who quickly won me over with his loyalty to Gunny and his quick wit. He filled me in on all the events of the day.

I was still going to thump Gunny for running off like an idiot. I did thank him for his quick action that saved Gunny's life, and promised to help him adjust to the panther life. "We can be training buddies," I said with a laugh. We talked for almost an hour before I hung up.

"Five minutes to landing," the pilot announced as we descended towards the airport.

Josh's phone rang, this time from an unknown number. He answered it, and I used my hearing to listen in. "You found your shooter, and her trainer and protector. They are expendable, but others are not. Don't go kicking over rocks, you might not survive what is under them."

"What are you saying," Josh replied.

"This can all end now if you leave things alone. If you keep digging, you'll only dig your own graves. This is your only warning, Rose. You have no idea of the forces you will unleash if you keep the investigation going. Declare victory and go home while you still have one."

Click.

Ch. 41

"Mom," Charlotte said with wide eyes, "What was that about?"

"Trouble. Josh, see if you can trace the call."

"I will, I doubt if it will work. They aren't that stupid," he said. "As soon as we're in the car I'll start looking." Charlotte leaned into his side, she was afraid. He was her world now, she didn't reach for her Momma first anymore.

I opened the Pack bond to the adults. "Ella, Craig, we'll be on the ground in a couple minutes. We need to talk, our leadership and the Gila senior leadership."

"Surely it can wait until you've seen Gunny," Ella sent back. "He should wake up in an hour or so."

"It can't wait, Alpha, and don't call me Shirley." I know, my sense of humor was warped. They didn't react, kids these days had no appreciation for classic cinema like Airplane. Of course, the fact that it came out almost twenty-five years before they were born might have something to do with it. "I got a threatening phone call, the conspiracy is bigger than just Luis and Maitea and Clayton. They threatened me, they threatened all of us if we keep investigating this. I think it's the deep state, very powerful men who can back up their threats."

The link was silent for a few moments. "We'll set up a meeting in the Alpha's conference room as soon as you are back, Rose," Craig said. "Stay alert on the drive home, I'm sending more men to help escort you home."

"I'm not waiting for them, we're sitting ducks in the airport," I said. "Who is meeting us?"

"Jacob and Al. The car is armored, and they are armed, and there are more guns in the secret storage compartments. Guys, this is now a hot extract. Get them back and don't stop for anyone or anything," Craig directed.

"On it, Alphas. We won't let them be harmed." Al looked like a kindly grandpa, but he was a ruthless bastard when threatened. Just the stories of his time in the CIA, or his escape from the jungles of Mexico, had me looking at him differently. Jacob was young, but even more deadly. I was happy they were our welcoming committee.

"Landing now, we'll see you in a bit," I said. I watched the lights of the city as we touched down and we taxied to the hangar. As soon as the stairs were being lowered, a black SUV pulled next to the plane. Jacob jumped out, leaving the back door and passenger doors open, holding his assault rifle. He took up position at the bottom of the stairs. "Clear."

"Coming now." I sent Josh down first, Charlotte right behind him and I went last. We crossed the open space so fast we almost dove into the SUV. Jacob jumped in to ride shotgun, his door not even closed before Al was moving us out of there.

"Welcome back, guys," Al said. "Things are never quiet around you, are they?"

I snorted. "Al, I was ON VACATION when all this started, pending my resignation from the FBI," I said defensively. "I've been conscripted, blown up, changed, chased and made the Most Wanted list while trying to just be with my family."

"We had a word for people like you in the Company, we used to call you..."

"DON'T you DARE call me a shit magnet, Al. I'll talk to Marge and you'll spend the next week sleeping in the single men's barracks."

He laughed. "I don't have to call you anything, you already know." I rolled my eyes at him, the stupid smug Beta that he was. "Our guest is settling in nicely in the prison," he said.

"Oh? How is he taking our little surprise about Pack lands?"

"Poorly. He's screaming about Constitutional rights, about wanting a lawyer, bail, the unfairness of it all."

Jacob laughed a little. "He's having a tough time resting, we have people howling outside the building, or walking through the prison in wolf form and growling. One guard just sits there and stares at him, growling the whole time. Oh, and we put up a betting board where you can put twenty bucks on how long until he dies in the circle, in thirty second increments."

"You guys are bad," I said.

"Psychological operations. We don't have much leverage over him; he's smart enough to know that he won't escape the death sentence no matter what he confesses to. The victim's families won't accept it, and our Alphas won't allow it. Same with his sister, she's going to die and painfully. There is nothing we can offer him except a quick, painless death." Al looked at some of the oncoming traffic, he was linking someone, so our escort must be getting close. "The more we build up the horror of his execution, the better a chance to get him to talk."

"Mom, the cell call to us was bounced between four numbers so far, and I'm at an end. Like I said, they weren't that stupid." Josh looked up from his laptop, clearly frustrated. "These people can't operate without a trace. I'll work out from Luis and see what I find."

"After the meeting, I want you to rest," I told him. "You've been working yourself into a frazzle, Josh. We all appreciate what you are doing, but you need to take care of yourself too. Get some rest, maybe take Charlotte for a run when you wake up. Just stay away from the borders and bring an escort," I said.

"Or maybe we should hang out at the pool with our friends," Charlotte said. "I have a new suit you haven't seen."

"Can't compare with no suit," he whispered as he stared down her body. It was loud enough for me and I smacked him across the chest. "Mom!"

"I'm right here, Josh, don't get aroused in front of me. She's still underage." I saw two vehicles pull a U-turn, one took a spot ahead of us while the other trailed behind. I looked over the seat, we were doing ninety-five on the back road towards the Pack lands on the straightaway. I looked over at Jacob. "Friends?"

"Gila Pack warriors, plus John Spencer." It didn't shock me that John came out to escort his son home. "We haven't seen anything out of the normal yet, but we're not taking any chances."

Nothing happened, and we were inside Pack lands in ten minutes and outside the Pack Clinic in another fifteen. "Go see him," Al said. "We're still gathering people for the meeting, you have ten minutes." We poured out of the vehicle and ran into the now-familiar hospital corridors. Ella must have been linked we were coming, because she was dressed and sitting in the chair when we arrived.

Gunny was still out of it, his big panther taking up much of the bed. "He's doing well," Doc Terry said. "A day or two light duty until his body has replaced all the blood and his wounds knit together. I swear, this cat must be down to a half-dozen lives by now."

I hugged Ella, thanking her for staying with him, then hugged Doc. "Thank you for saving him, Doc. I couldn't live without him."

"My pleasure, Rose. Thank me by not coming back here unless it's a prenatal visit, all right? Just because you met your deductible doesn't mean you have to treat my hospital like a hotel." I laughed and buried my face in his chest. They left us alone in the room.

Charlotte had already climbed onto the bed, her arms reaching around his chest below his bandages while she snuggled up to his warm back. Josh got some pillows, moving them so she would be comfortable. Charlotte was his daughter now that we had mated, and we would keep a family member with him until he was healed. His cat would be calmer and his healing faster that way.

I leaned over and kissed his head, then ran my fingers along his head and ears. I whispered in his ear. "I'll be back soon, love. You heal up, your children need you." I gave him one last hug. "I'll be back in an hour or two," I told Charlotte. "Get some sleep?" She nodded and snuggled in more. "Come on Josh, we have a meeting to attend."

He grabbed his laptop and we walked out of the clinic, across to the Pack House. The Alpha's offices were at the end of the corridor, the big conference room just before then across from the Beta offices. Josh sat at the computer table, hooking his laptop up to the big screen, while Ella patted the seat next to her. I got a few hugs then sat down, and immediately the door opened as Renee and Robert entered the room. Everyone except Craig and Ella stood, then we all sat after they did. "Welcome back, Rose. We have a lot to talk about," Craig said.

"Thank you, Alphas. You have been been great friends to me and my family, as has your brother. It was wonderful seeing Derek and Amanda, I would like to visit again in better circumstances."

"My brother talked to me already, Rose, and we will make that happen." Renee had a hand protectively over her belly, smiling as one of the twins kicked at her hand. "Why don't we start by getting everyone up to speed on where we are. First off, Agent Luis."

Beta James sat forward. "He's in the prison cell, and per instructions we are keeping him awake and afraid. No one will talk to him until you give permission, but I can smell his fear."

"Good," Robert said. "We will let him have a sleepless night, then talk to him in the morning. Do we still have that video from when the Cartel guy came to get Maria?" James nodded, the bastard thought he could just demand her back, not knowing she was mated to a member. The two had ripped him apart in front of the Pack in revenge for his rapes of her. "Put the video on loop somewhere he can see it, and keep the volume up. We need him to be more afraid of how he dies than of dying. Now, I have been on the phone most of the evening to the affected Pack Alphas. They all know we have the shooter and her accomplice, and are making arrangements to travel here for the trials and executions."

"Do we know how many guests," one of the female Betas asked.

"Not yet, we should know tomorrow. Make sure all the guest rooms are readied, and make contingency plans to free up some of the bachelor quarters if needed." She nodded, already linking her staff. "I will not deny anyone their chance to participate in the justice, they'll all get a chance to rip him apart," Robert vowed.

"No justice, no pieces," Craig said. "Just in my Pack we have quite a line. We shall limit ourselves to Luis for the Pack House attack. Gunny and Rose will get their chance with the others at Maitea, though."

"We will update again tomorrow on preparations for the visitors and the trial," Renee said. She looked at Melody Post. "Is William still up in Albuquerque?"

"Yes, he's fighting with the FBI and Justice about Maitea's jurisdiction. They are being stubborn, wanting to hold her in Federal court. He thinks we'll have to go to a hearing tomorrow, we will likely have to file for extradition since she is in a human hospital."

I felt my stomach fall. "Will they?"

"It might take time, but yes. The treaty is clear, she was captured on Pack lands. The Justice Department wants to prosecute her for your attempted assassination since that took place on Federal property."

"So do we have two trials if her extradition is delayed, or wait for her to do both," I asked.

"Two trials," Robert said. "That man will not share the air I breathe any longer than absolutely necessary. Anything else?" She shook her head no. "All right, Rose, tell everyone about the call."

"I'll just play it," Josh said. "I linked my phone to my laptop." He clicked his mouse and the speakers came to life with the call. I'd already heard it, so I focused on the reactions around the table. Most were furious, but Al was thoughtful. When it was over, Robert was pulling Renee close and Craig was livid. It took a minute for the emotions to settle out.

"Who are we dealing with here," Renee asked.

"Central Intelligence, Defense Intelligence, Homeland Security... take your pick," Al said. "Most likely all of the above. It's the deep state- the ones in real power, not the political appointees that rotated out with the new President. They are invested in the war, in power, and the fact that their laws and their President want peace means little to them."

"Can they do what he was saying? Can they hurt us?"

"Absolutely. They have resources, technology, and we're in the open now. I bet that's all Luis and Maitea were, plausible deniability. Groomed and recruited to go after us and stir up the pot."

I looked at the four Alphas. "Right now we have no idea of who they are, but we do need to be careful. Let them think we are heeding their warning, that we accept those two as the end. We don't, of course, but our investigation needs to go dark."

partwolf
partwolf
2,314 Followers