Rose Tattoo

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I don't mind. I'm not sure I can remember what the doctor said. I have what he called a small fracture above my left ankle, my left wrist is broken, I have cuts, sutures, and bruises everywhere, and I have I think he said six rib fractures."

I didn't know what to say except, "Considering what was left of the car, you are very lucky."

"I know."

"Have you seen what's left of it?"

"Yes, Nancy showed me."

"Do you know what happened?" She looked up at the ceiling and paused, so I added, "If you'd rather not talk about, it that's okay."

"No, I don't mind. As you know Burt and I always rode to work together."

"Yes, I remember."

"I think you know he had a drinking problem."

"Yes, or at least I was pretty sure he did."

"On top of that, I found out he was having an affair. Anyway, on the way to work we got into an ugly argument, the worst argument we'd ever had in fact. I remember him suddenly stomping on the accelerator and we took off. I don't know how fast we were going, but it was fast and it scared me. Then he veered into the cement at the bridge. That's the last I remember until I woke up in the emergency room. Apparently his side of the car took the brunt of the impact." I was stunned. Was he trying to kill Kara or both of them?

"Kara, I don't know what to say."

"I know, I still can't believe it myself."

"I'm so sorry about Burt."

"Thanks but right now I'm so full of hate and hurt, I'm not even grieving for him."

"I'm sorry I brought up such a sad memory."

"It's still on my mind almost constantly, so don't worry about it."

I wanted to change the subject so I told her, "I mowed and trimmed your lawn and I'm keeping an eye on your place, so don't worry about any of that."

"I didn't even think about that, thank you."

"You're welcome."

"There is one more thing you could do for me if you would."

"Just name it."

"Get my key from Nancy and empty the refrigerator. It's going to be a few weeks before I can be home again."

"I'll take care of it. Are you expecting her this evening?"

Before she could answer from behind me I heard, "Yes, she is" and Nancy was standing there smiling.

"Hi, I didn't even see you come in."

"I could tell."

I stood up and said, "I'll go and let you two visit." Nancy handed me the key and I leaned down and kissed Kara's forehead again and just said softly, "Keep getting better, I want to see you home again."

"So do I."

Nancy gave me a light hug and said, "Thanks for coming up and thanks for taking care of the fridge."

"Not a problem." I gave Kara one last look, smiled and left. I went home still in a state of shock over what had happened. In a way, I felt sorry for Burt too. He was fighting some demons that I wasn't aware of. His drinking problem was worse than I had ever guessed, and the affair thing shocked me. He couldn't have asked for a better partner in life than Kara. No doubt he objected to her giving him hell for his frequent drinking excesses. I went home and let myself into her house. It seemed strange to be in there with them not home. I emptied the fridge and took the contents home with me, and kept some things and threw out the rest.

Within a few days her facial swelling was almost gone, but it would take a lot longer for the bruises to disappear. Her stitches were removed after a week, but her broken ribs continued to cause her a lot of pain. It had been ten days since the accident when I went up to see her the next time, and she was sitting up a little straighter in bed and eating. She gave me one of her best smiles and I said, "Don't let me interfere, we can talk later."

"I'll be done in a minute." When she pushed her bedside table away I moved it away from the bed. "Barry, I'm being discharged tomorrow."

"How can that be?"

"Well, there really isn't a lot more they can do for me. It's just a matter of a lot of time and healing now."

"But, you can't take care of yourself."

"No, that's for sure. I'm staying with Nancy for at least a couple of weeks, maybe more."

"Do you feel ready for that?"

"I don't know, but I think so. It's poor Nancy that I'm not sure about. She is more than willing to do it, but I never saw her as good nurse material, and I'll still be high maintenance for a while."

"Of course, are you even getting out of bed?"

"I just started, but it hurts like hell. My ankle doesn't hurt much, and I'm getting along with my wrist, but I guess I must have sprained my knee or something, because it hurts, and of course my ribs are giving me fits."

"I've had broken ribs, so I know what you mean."

"They're going to get me up and have me sit in that side chair in the morning before my discharge, and show me how I can make it a little less painful."

I took her hand in mine and looked at her as I asked, "Do you think you're ready for this?"

"I think so. Barry, it hurts no matter what. At least I'll be at Nancy's, and not in the hospital anymore."

"I wish I could do more for you, but I just don't know what it would be."

"I'll be okay, but it means a lot knowing you're there if I need you. Thank you for worrying about me. You'll have to step out though I have to use the bedpan."

"I'll leave then and let you rest."

"You will come see me at Nancy's won't you?

"Of course I will. I'll wait until you're settled at her place, but I'll be there and probably drive Nancy nuts." Once again I kissed her forehead, but then I leaned down and gently kissed her puffy lips.

"Take care and I'll see you in a couple of days."

"Bye Barry, and thanks coming in."

Chapter Four

On Thursday after I left the office, I went over to the Northeastwood shopping center and bought two flower arrangements, one for Kara and one for Nancy, for being the nurse, and then called to let them know I was coming. Getting to Nancy's for the first time, I managed to make the wrong turn and went far out of my way, but I finally arrived there. When Nancy opened the door I handed flowers to her and said, "This is for the nurse."

"Thank you Barry, that's so nice of you, come in." I followed her to the living room where she had Kara settled in the easy chair with pillows around her. I set the other flowers down next to her and then sitting close to her said, "I feel very bad that I didn't get you these a lot sooner. I apologize."

"Thank you, you didn't have to do that."

"I wanted to. You look much better today."

"I feel better. Of course I'm full of pain medications too."

"Whatever it takes, it's good to see you up instead of in bed too."

"It feels good, but you should have seen what it took to get me here."

"I'm sure." I turned to Nancy and asked her, "Is there anything I can do for you nurse? I could go buy dinner so you don't have to cook for example."

"Thank you, but we're set. When I knew Kara was being discharged, I cooked up a few meals ahead and froze them. Would you like to stay for dinner?"

"No, thank you it's a little early for me. My schedule is a little out of whack today."

"Bad day?"

"Not really but I didn't get to lunch until after two."

I didn't stay a long time because it was easy to see that Kara was still pretty uncomfortable, and I was afraid she was trying to put on a good face for my benefit. That alone is tiring. I kissed Kara gently again, and told her I'd be back to see her in a couple of days. Nancy walked me out and gave me a nice hug and then kissed me too. "Thank you for the flowers, Barry."

"My pleasure. I keep thinking there is something I can do for you, but I'm at a loss to think of it."

"We're doing pretty well all things considered, but I promise I'll call you if I need anything at all."

"I hope so." I gave her another hug and said, "If I'd known that Kara had such an attractive sister, I would have been bugging you a lot sooner." She smiled and watched me get in the car and leave.

I went to Nancy's two days later and could see the progress that Kara was making. Her swelling was almost gone now and I told her, "I see a sparkle in your eyes that I haven't seen for a very long time."

"I'm feeling so much better. It won't be long and I'll be able to be home again." Out of the corner of my eye I saw Nancy smile and silently clap her hands. The three of us talked for a while, but I knew it was time for dinner so I put my hands on each side of Kara's face and kissed her.

"It will be good to see you home again." Her ribs were healing nicely and she gave me a cautious hug and a smile. Once again Nancy walked me out and we shared an embrace too and then a kiss.

"You know Nancy I could get used to this." She just smiled and patted my cheek.

I was home no more than half an hour when Nancy called and said, "Barry, I forgot something. I was going to have you get all of Burt's things out of the house if you would."

"Of course, I guess I should have kept the house key then.

"I guess. Could I bring it over to you?"

"Of course, but I'll come get it if that would help."

"No, I need to get out of the house for a bit. My neighbor will come over if Kara needs anything."

"I'll put the coffee on."

"Got anything stronger?"

"I'll see what I can do."

"See you in half an hour."

Nancy pulled in and when I met her at the door I was treated to a warm hug and a kiss. I led her to the kitchen and showed her what I had to offer and she poured herself a couple of fingers of scotch. "Thank you lover, I need this."

"It isn't easy being a nurse."

"Tell me about it."

"Kara bugging you?"

"She's been so sweet, but I'm just not used to having somebody living with me, at least not for that long."

"How much longer do you think it will be?"

"At least another week would be my guess."

"I'm sure she's ready to get on with her life too."

"She's getting pretty restless. Her ribs feel just good enough that she overdoes it, and then she hurts like sin."

Chapter Five

We talked about Burt for a few minutes, and she was as surprised as I was about the affair. She handed me the key again, and I asked her, "So what is it you want me to do?"

"Strip the house of anything that reminds her of him. Clothes, shoes, photos, whatever you see."

"That won't take long."

"No, probably not."

"If I find anything I'm not sure about I'll put it aside and ask you."

"Okay. In fact call me anyway and I'll pretend that you need me."

"I'll do it Saturday morning, so I'll call you by noon."

"Great." I walked her to the door and we shared an embrace again. "You look so much like Kara, but I'm pretty sure you aren't twins."

"No, we're a year apart."

"Two pretty girls in the same household. I'll bet your dad lay awake at night worrying."

"I'd like to say we were angels, but that would be stretching it, especially me."

"Somehow I'm not surprised." She smiled and kissed my cheek.

"See you Saturday, handsome."

"See ya."

After breakfast Saturday morning, I pulled out a few large black plastic bags and went next door. Once again, as I let myself in I felt like I was breaking the law. The first and most obvious thing to do was to empty closets. I pulled out everything from his closet and put them on the bed, and then more or less folded things as I put them in the bags. It took a while, because he had quite a wardrobe. I double checked the closet shelves and then the chest of drawers. I emptied the drawers of his things and put them into a bag too. That left the triple dresser. For whatever reason, I always used the right hand drawers for my underwear and such so that was my guess for Burt. Of course, I had to be wrong and was soon looking at a large drawer full of Kara's panties and bras. I just stood there smiling to myself and wondered what she would say or think if she knew what I was doing right then. I couldn't resist touching them for a second and then closed the drawer and moved to the left ones. I dumped the top drawer on the bed, and then did the same with the middle drawer. When I opened the bottom one it had a lot of miscellaneous junk in it.

I left that for the moment, and bagged the contents from the bed and then went back to the junk drawer. Most of what I found didn't seem to have any value except perhaps to Burt, so they went into a trash bag. Then I came across a computer disc. I thought about that for a minute. If it were important data it would be in his office. I put that aside and decided to look at it later and decide about it then. I looked under the bed because I had a habit of keeping a pair or two of shoes there. I found nothing, so went through the bathroom and took out all of his shaving gear and cologne, and once again it felt odd to be looking at Kara's make up and other very personal things. Then I moved on through the house and took what few pictures I saw that he was in. I'd ask Nancy about them later. I looked through his office, but I really didn't know about any of that. I didn't want to stumble into their financial things, so I left all of that alone.

It took me two trips to drag everything to my car and put the bag with the pictures and the computer disc in the house. I had some lunch, and then with coffee in hand went to my computer with the mystery disc in hand. The very first file I opened was of a naked woman. I couldn't see her face, so I didn't know who I was looking at. It could easily have been Kara. The only distinctive thing I saw was a small rose tattoo high on her left hip. Just below her waist actually. I saw the same woman in the next two photos and then I saw her with Burt. I could have gone a long time without seeing Burt with an erection, but there he was with her. I stopped and thought about it. If it really was Kara, why was it stashed down under his junk? Wouldn't that be kept someplace a little more meaningful? I looked at all of the pictures and they got more graphic and more detailed, but I never saw her face, just that rose tattoo every so often. I pulled the disc out of my computer and slipped it into its paper sleeve and went to call Nancy. I had to think about that disc before I showed it to her.

I heard her pick up the phone and say, "Hello?"

"Hi it's Barry."

"Oh really. Okay I'll be there in half an hour or so." I had to laugh.

"I'll have the bottle out."

"See you soon." When she arrived she bounced out of her car and came up the walk. When she saw me standing in the doorway she smiled and said, "You are a lifesaver."

"Glad to be of service." I got the best embrace and kiss yet from her, and she went in ahead of me. She was wearing a top that was one of those short ones and her jeans rode low on her hips. The result was there was a very nice and tempting gap that showed me a lot of skin. She poured herself another drink, but this one was a lot smaller.

"Nancy would you go over to Kara's house with me and make sure I didn't miss anything?"

"Sure."

"Also, I have some pictures to show you before I pitch them."

She tipped up her glass and then said, "Let's go next door."

She checked the drawers and then looked in the closet. As she asked me, "Did you check these shelves?" she reached up to the shelves to feel around. There on her left hip was a rose tattoo. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. How could she do that? I knew she wasn't one to be tied down and I was sure she liked to have a good time but...with her brother-in-law? I just sat on the edge of the bed.

"Oh yes, I checked the shelves." I just had to be civil to her and then I'd sort it all out later. I had to remind myself that I'd always said things like this were none of my business but...this involved Kara, sweet wonderful Kara. I kept my silence and did my best to behave as I showed her the pictures that I had bagged up. "I say dump all of them."

"That's what I'll do then,"

"Anything else to ask me about?"

"No, I don't believe so."

"I better get back then, and thank you for doing that."

"You're welcome." At the front door she hugged me and I touched her lower left hip. "Nice tattoo by the way."

"Thank you." We kissed again and then she went home to Kara. All I could think about after that was Nancy and Burt.

It was only two days later after I was home from the office when Kara called me. "Hi Barry."

"Well hello, this is a nice surprise."

"I'm home."

"Wonderful, mind if I come over?"

"I was hoping you would."

"Be right there." When I opened her front door I called out, "Hello?"

"I'm in the kitchen Barry." When I got there she was sitting there with a magazine in front of her. "That doesn't look very comfortable."

"It isn't too bad."

"Why not the easy chair?"

"I'm afraid it's too low for me right now."

"Let me get a couple of pillows and see if that works for you."

"Thank you." With the pillows in place, she backed up to the chair and I bent over close to her and gently put my arms behind her. She put her arms around my neck and the two of us slowly went down until her butt was settled into the pillows. She let out a big sigh and said, "That feels wonderful."

"Good."

"But you'll probably have to help me get out of it."

"That's no problem. You look much more comfortable."

I stayed with her for about an hour and a half and then she yawned and asked me, "Would you help me into bed? I think I better take a nap."

"Of course," I bent over her again and before I could get my arms behind her, she gently pulled me down and kissed me. She didn't say a word and we just looked at each other. My arms went behind her then and with her arms around my neck the two of us stood up. "That went so well, hardly any pain at all. Give me a minute to get into a night shirt or something okay?"

"Just call out when you're ready."

When she called for me, I went in and she was standing there in baggy sweat pants and what amounted to a tee shirt. She backed up to the bed and with her arms around me again, I lifted her legs and the two of us eased down until she was on her back. Kara continued to hold me close and then kissed me again, warmer and longer than ever before. "Thank you."

"You're most welcome."

"I just need an hour to rest. Wake me if I don't wake up by then, would you?"

"I'll do that. I'll be back in an hour then."

"I think I might be able to get up by myself."

"Maybe, but let's not push it just yet." There was a part of me that worried about her hurting herself and a part of me that wanted her to need me and to be close to me.

Chapter Six

I left for an hour and bought her a small flower arrangement as a welcome home, and then stopped at my place to freshen up before going back to see her. I went in and put the vase of flowers on the coffee table and then eased into her bedroom to check on her. She was lying on her back and she was still asleep. I just stood there looking at her for several minutes. She was so pretty to me, even with her hair in disarray and in baggy sweats and tee shirt. I had to wonder, how could Burt ever have cheated on her? I stepped over to her and kissed her lips very lightly and she stirred. She opened her eyes and looked up at me and smiled.

"What a wonderful way to be awakened." She put her arms around me and with surprising strength pulled me down to her. I slipped an arm behind her and we shared a very gentle embrace for a minute. When she let go, I rose up just enough so I could look at her again and brushed her hair back with my hand and then kissed her tenderly. "Did you just get here?"

"A few minutes ago, I wanted to just look at you for a minute."

"Why? I'm such an awful mess."

"I don't think so at all. You look a lot like Nancy only a lot prettier and I like looking at you, ready to get up?"

"I'm ready."

I helped her up and she said, "Go on out and I'll be right there." I went out and waited for her. When she appeared she was still in her sweat pants and tee shirt but she had brushed her hair and judging from her rosy cheeks, she had washed up. She stopped in the middle of the room and looked at the flowers. "Barry, you shouldn't have."