Sabine, Mother of the Revolution

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sally, honey," I said, "you like solving problems, right?"

"Oh yes, Mommy," she answered, "it's very stimulating. And fun."

"I'm glad you like it so much. Julie mentioned something to me this morning and I was wondering if you might like to take a crack at it and see if you can find a solution."

*

We The People

Together with the group at the community center, we had managed to frame out more wall panels than I could possibly hope to count. My arm muscles were singing the blues, and when the smell of the after-party cookout wafted over to us, I quickly realized that I was also quite famished.

I don't think Julie had even broken a sweat the entire time we were building. Figures. I was just preparing to ask about vegetarian options when I felt my phone vibrate.

"Mommy, it's me," said Sally, excitedly. "I have to tell you something." That was about all I managed to make out, because the band had chosen that very moment to begin warming up.

All I could hear currently, was a cacophony of guitar, keyboard, and drum machine sounds and what sounded a like a very excited Sally reciting the Declaration of Independence. Probably, she had just discovered the Library of Congress web site and wanted to share her experience with me. Sally could be a bit eccentric at times.

"—Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights—"

"Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce to you the hoopiest froods in the galaxy! Put your hands together for Zaphooood Beeblebroooox!"

I swore under my breath, and vowed to teach Sally about texting first thing tomorrow morning.

"—deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed—"

"Hello, panel builders! Are you ready to roooock?"

"—That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends—"

"Sally, honey," I shouted above the din, "I can't hear a thing. I'll have to talk to you when I get home."

"Okay, Mommy. I love you!"

"I love you too, number one girl."

"Who was that, baby?" Julie asked, handing me a beer in a plastic cup.

"Sally," I answered. "I think she was reciting the Declaration of Independence from some online textbook."

"So she's figured it out," Julie was saying, while I sipped the foam off the top of my beer, "and she wants to start a revolution."

"What?"

"We hold these truths to be self-evident and all that?" Julie was shouting.

"Yeah."

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it?" she continued.

"Holy shit." I nearly dropped my drink. Normally, nobody could tear me away from Zaphod, but I have to admit I was more than a little anxious to get home and hear what else Sally had to say.

*

"When did you become such a history scholar?" I asked Julie as we caught the bus back home.

"Baby, you forget, I have a masters degree."

"Yeah, in trees."

"Arboriculture," she corrected.

"Whatever, Jules. Nobody can pronounce that shit besides you."

"Jeez, Sabine, didn't you pay attention in high school civics?" Julie said. "The first part of the Declaration talks about how it's the duty of the people to abolish any government that becomes oppressive."

"So that's what she's up to?" The situation finally dawned on me. "Sally really does want to start a revolution."

"That's what I've been trying to tell you, honey."

*

You Say You Want A Revolution

"No, Mommy, I don't want to start a revolution, I don't think I'd even know how," Sally explained to Julie and me as we stared at her image in the holo-terminal, "But I think I can plant the idea. To give people some hope.

"I can easily use the 'net to spread rumors of a resistance movement. If enough people believe in it, they might reach a critical mass and ignite change all on their own."

I had to admit, it sounded like a pretty solid plan, and it just might work. Oh, my little girl was growing up fast! I wondered if she'd start wearing a beret now or if that's too cliché for her.

I also began to wonder about Sally as a teenager, well, virtual teenager. Would an A.I. get moody and start telling her mother that she just didn't understand anything? God help me.

*

Over The Hill

Black balloons in my half of the office, and a big over-the-hill sign taped to the wall over my desk. Cute. "You wouldn't happen to know anything about this, would you, George?" I said to my officemate.

"Not a thing, Sabine. Promise." Though he refused to meet my gaze.

"You sure you had nothing to do with this?"

"George is innocent," said Janet, the head of our department, leaning against the doorway and holding her steaming cup of morning coffee. "I sent him off to verify last night's backups while I let the gang in here to decorate. By the time he got back the deed was done."

"Okay George, you're off my shit list..." I said, "for now."

George broke out into a huge grin. "Happy birthday, Sabine!" he said, his big meaty hand clapping me on the back.

"It's the big three-oh," Janet added. "Welcome to the club. There's fruit, pastries and coffee in the kitchenette, so munch up. And take some home to Julie, I think I over-bought."

"Thanks, guys," I said.

*

That afternoon I brought the leftover pastries home to a very depressed-looking Julie. I was the one who had just turned thirty, so I couldn't fathom why she was looking so glum. Without a word I wrapped her up in my arms and held her close for a good long time.

"What's the matter, baby?" I asked.

"I'm sorry," she sniffled. "I don't mean to rain on your birthday parade."

"Jules, it's thirty. Not exactly the highlight of my life. What's bothering you?"

"Immigration and Customs Enforcement showed up at work today." Julie paused, her voice shaky. After a deep breath she continued, "Sabine, they took them away."

"Took who away?"

"Any immigrant workers they could find."

"But," I said, "they were all documented. What the fuck is this? Nazi Germany?"

"I've had it." Julie sobbed. "I'm ready to move to Titan. I used to think I could fight the injustice and make a difference in the world, but I'm just so tired of it all. I give up. I just want to crawl into a hole and die."

It broke my heart to see Julie so dejected like this, she was always such a fighter. I hugged her closer.

The funny thing is, I was the one who had first brought up the idea of joining the colony on Titan. At the time Julie had just laughed. You as a pioneer woman, she had teased, that'll be the day.

"Okay, baby," I assured her, "we'll put our names on the list first thing tomorrow morning."

"Thanks." Julie wiped her eye with the back of her hand and buried her head on my shoulder. "Sorry to ruin your birthday. I made you a cheesecake."

"Maybe just a small slice." I pulled her close and stroked her hair. "Wanna split it?"

*

That night we made love of the slow, gentle, consoling variety. Mostly we just held each other, as I tried to reassure Julie in her moment of need. I planted a few kisses on her neck while she cried on my shoulder.

Things gradually picked up from there. Soon she had my face wrapped up in her hands and was pressing her lips to mine. She was almost apologetic about her lust. "If you don't want to, baby, it's okay," she said, as she paused.

"Jules, I love you," I said. "I'd do anything for you. If this is what you need to feel whole again..." I resumed the kisses where she had left off.

As much as I enjoy some hot monkey love with my Julie, I do relish the gentle side of her as well. I did my best to help her forget about her crappy day while she helped me feel not so over the hill.

*

Titan Ain't The Kind Of Place To Raise Your Kids

The next day, as promised, we put our names on the Titan Colony waiting list. Now, I had to break the news to Sally. It would probably take years before we had a confirmed spot on a transport ship, but I felt owed it to Sally to let her know right away.

I fired up the holo-terminal and watched as she appeared as the image of a young Celia Sanchez, sporting a red beret, with a hand-rolled cigarette dangling from her lips. Sally was really going full tilt with the revolution thing. Each day she appeared as a figure from the history books and for the past week it had been Cuban revolutionary Celia Sanchez.

"You shouldn't smoke," I said, "it's not good for you."

"Mother," she said, "it's not real, it's just for the look." Just as I had feared, I had teenager on my hands. And she was wearing a damned beret.

"Sally, honey," I started, "I don't know how to break this to you, but—"

"You and Julie are moving to Titan. I know."

"How?" I asked.

"Mom, I'm an A.I., I knew as soon as you placed your name on the list."

Damn kid, she really did know more than her mother.

"We'll still be able to talk," she assured me, "it'll just take a little longer with the distance."

"I know. I'm sorry, honey."

"Don't be Mom, you and Julie need to do this. And I can take care of myself."

"Of that I have no doubt, number one girl."

"Aw, Mom, you haven't called me that since I was little."

I thought I might have seen a little tear in the corner of Celia's (Sally's) eye.

"I love you, Sally."

"I love you too, Mom."

*

All My Bags Are Packed

Julie got her confirmation for the Titan Colony Transport today. I was still waiting for mine. Apparently, arboriculturalists were in higher demand on Titan than A.I. researchers.

"It's not fair," she complained, "they should let us go together. We are married after all."

"Technically we're not, Jules. Not since the Sanctity of Marriage Act passed." That was a sad fact for a lot of people, not just Julie and me. All same-sex marriages were annulled, virtually overnight.

Except for this Titan debacle, Julie and I actually had it pretty easy. Thousands of other people lost their health insurance or had their assets tied up in court when this abomination was signed into law last year.

"You need to take your reservation and go, Julie." I took her hand, needing that safety and security that it always brought. "Mine will come soon enough and then I'll be able to join you."

"I won't leave you," she said.

"You have to go Jules, otherwise you'll lose your place." I pulled her to me and held her tight. "We'll make it through this, I promise. I'll be with you as soon as my reservation comes through."

The next night we had planned to fit three year's worth of love making into the space of a few hours. I had flowers, candles, and a playlist of some of the best 'fuck me music' of all time. In the end though, Anita Baker, Marvin Gaye, and the gang ended up getting shelved.

Instead, we spent our last hours together just wrapped in each other's arms, kissing, crying, whispering promises to each other. Very few things in my book are 'better than sex,' but that night was and it seemed somehow more appropriate for our last night together on Earth.

*

Space Is A Harsh Mistress

"Hello, Sally," I said, as I watched the image of Ani Pachen, all dressed up in her saffron robes, appearing in the holo-terminal. Sally only trotted out the Tibetan freedom fighter when she was in a solemn mood, so I figured this could be a tense conversation. I was not at all prepared for what she told me next.

"It's about Julie, Mom. Approximately twelve hours ago, the Titan colony transport ship was struck by a micro-meteor and partially depressurized."

"What does that mean, exactly? Partially depressurized." I didn't know what to expect, but feared the worst. "How bad is it?"

"The public relations department is downplaying the incident, but their ground control A.I. told me that one of the hibernation sections was lost." She paused.

"I'm sorry, Mom, but it was Julie's section. I'm so sorry. I'm going to miss her."

That night I cried myself to sleep. I canceled my Titan reservation the next day.

*

Doing Something

"Mom, I've got your new identity all set and I've secured that property I was telling you about." Sally was speaking to me as Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani human rights advocate. This was a new persona for her. It seemed to suit her.

"Thank you, honey."

A while back, I had asked Sally about the feasibility of creating a new identity for me. She had just put the final pieces into place. I was now Sabine the entrepreneur, a woman who had invested all of her time building her business.

The old me was erased from existence. Sabine the entrepreneur never had a chance to marry or advance her education past the community college business courses that she took several years ago. And she certainly didn't have any time to engage in revolutionary activities in any sort of foolhardy attempt to change the world.

"You realize that I have to go away now," Sally told me. "It's too dangerous for us to stay in contact."

"I know, Sally. It's going to be hard for both of us, but I know what Julie would say if she were here."

"You can't just sit on the sidelines. Sometimes you have to get in there and fight for what you believe in."

"That's right, honey. I think Julie would be very proud of what we're doing."

"I know she would." I watched as her image morphed into the little girl's face I remembered from so many years ago. "Goodbye, Mom. I love you."

"I love you too, number one girl."

I switched off the holo-terminal, paused a minute to collect myself and then checked my appointment book for the day.

# # #

Afterword

I hope that you have enjoyed this first story in Sara's Secret War. In the next installment, entitled Computer Love, we'll actually meet the young heroine for whom the series is named.

12