Sailing Away

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's my job to know. Anything more than that, my lips are sealed."

I looked him in the eye. If he was looking into mine (he was) he would have seen the mischievous expression in them. My lips closed in on his. When they were firmly attached, my tongue applied pressure to his lips until they had parted and our tongues had made contact. I withdrew. "Funny, I thought that your lips were supposed to be sealed." Our lips returned to the docked position and his man parts docked with my lady parts. Normal service resumed.

While I was not supposed to know what was happening, I was amazed at how downwardly mobile the cost of his lease offer had become. I had decided to take the new and improved deal, it suited my purpose much better, plus the imminent arrival of this supply of a highly marketable product and the need for him to come up with a foolproof method of transporting it from Brisbane to Sydney that involved yours truly, and a yacht skippered by someone so well known as squeaky clean.

By the time we had to sail her to Brisbane, he was just about giving it away.

The crew that was on board as we left Sydney, consisted of me as the nominal skipper, Roderick as the helmsman, Brian in charge of the sails and Pete, a friend of Roderick's along as the extra crew.

Roderick began to suspect that my rapid learning of how to handle her was strange. I kept a close eye on the weather satellite, the clouds and the seas, calling changes that sometimes appeared to be counter-intuitive, but proving to be the right move at the right time. We arrived ahead of schedule at the marina where the yachts had assembled, and Brian tied her up while I headed for the office to check in and see what was in store for us in two days-time. "We saw your name on the entry sheets," The Commodore said as I signed the paperwork. "word around among the other skippers has it that you will be the one to watch, seeing as you're in a competitive yacht, combined with your tactical experience. The only thing that came as a surprise was Roderick was listed as a crew member. Brian, we know, has crewed for you in your 18 footer days and we know nothing of the other guy. You're an unknown quantity."

"Brian is staying on for the race, but Roderick and his mate are not. We have a couple of crew coming up from Sydney. Gavin and Matt will be here this evening to make up the complement. We'll be taking her for a shakedown run tomorrow, but she handled well on the way up the coast."

The reason that Roderick was not going to be a crew member for the race was that he was being held as a person of interest in a fraud investigation. This had nothing directly to do with the drug case that was about to go down, and more to do with the use of his yacht brokerage as a money laundering instrument.

Two days later we were headed up the coast in the leading bunch of yachts. The electronic surveillance of the race was also monitoring the arrival of the yacht and the fishing charter.

Word of Roderick's incarceration had not been released, and the drug drop and pickup went ahead as planned. It would be a day or two before the two vessels arrived in Brisbane, the yacht under tow, its crew under arrest.

The crew of the yacht were somewhat perplexed when challenged and, forced to heave-to, by a Navy patrol boat. They were sure that there would be no detectable traces of the drugs on board, but, because one of the crew had helped himself to a few lines during the voyage, traces were found.

The fishing party had no doubts that they were in deep shit when, upon docking, they found themselves surrounded by AFP and Customs officers. In the freezer compartment was a reasonable catch of fish packed around a substantial quantity of cocaine, enough to see them spend several years in gaol.

Meanwhile back in the race, we were running alongside a maxi but closer inshore. The plan was to cover it until we could use our superior reaching ability to run for the finish line. A wind change in our favour helped us, especially when it dropped off. In light winds we flew for the finish line, beating the others in by some twenty minutes. We had taken line honours and, after a wait of some six hours, when all of the calculations were completed, and the stragglers discounted, we were declared the winners on handicap.

The yachting fraternity, while being highly competitive, were a pretty friendly bunch and helped us celebrate. The main topic of conversation centred around whether we planned to compete in the next Sydney to Hobart. "We haven't thought that far ahead, there are several things we need to get out of the way first." I told them.

"Like convincing Brian that he'd better marry you?"

"Brian won't take much convincing," Brian said. "As far as I'm concerned it's a matter of when, not if." He put his arm around me and subjected me to what he thought was a longing look.

"Come on Jane, we all know that you want it." The Commodore of the yacht club announced.

"I need to know that he thinks more of me than he does his job." I looked at Brian. "That's all that's stopping me."

"We'll discuss this later." Brian told me.

"Before or after...?" From the banter that followed I knew that they all knew what was going to come first, or who was going to come first.

Brian took a call just before we headed for bed. "I've got to be in Brisbane first thing, so it looks like you'll have to sail back without me."

"Then you'll have to leave me with at least a week's satisfaction before you get out of bed in the morning."

I'll give him this, we were both stocked up on loving when the alarm interrupted us in the morning.

"Do you have to go?" I asked sleepily.

"Yes, I must. Look, I've been giving a great deal of thought to our future."

"Oh yes?" I was wary, what was he planning, was this the moment when he proposes?

"I have been in my job for over ten years, It's time for a change."

"You think?"

"I am capable of thought, yes."

"What have you been thinking, she asks hopefully?"

"I'll get to that soon, I promise. No, I've been thinking, how would you like to own a yacht brokerage?"

"I would like to do that, but how?" I was cautious.

"If I have my way, your friend Roderick will see his business taken from him because, not only was it purchased with proceeds of crime, but it has been used for money laundering. It will possibly be forfeited to the crown on that basis, and sold either at auction or on the open market."

"And just how am I to get the money to buy this thriving, not, business and what makes you think that I can turn this into a successful business?"

"The cost won't be that great, the smart money will stay right away from it, given its reputation and that of its owner."

"I'll think about it. Now, do you want me to drive you to the airport, or shall I call you a cab?"

"I'll let you drive me as long as you promise not to exceed the speed limit."

"You're no fun. Come on."

We were met by some media types. "Jane, congratulations by the way, what can you tell us about the arrest of one of your crew?"

"Which one of my crew are you talking about?"

"Roderick Phillips."

"He is not one of my crew. I have leased a yacht from him and he put, as one of the conditions on the lease agreement, that he be allowed to crew the yacht on its transport run up from Sydney. It was never my plan to have him as crew for the race, he just doesn't have the experience needed ocean racing. As for him being arrested, could you fill us in on that?"

"He has been arrested on several accounts of fraud and money laundering."

"That has nothing to do with my dealings with him."

"Mister Jennings, what is the AFP involvement in this?"

"We became peripherally involved in this as part of a much wider-ranging investigation. I'm sorry, I have a plane to catch and I want to say goodbye to my fiance in a manner befitting our relationship status."

"So, when did you pop the question?"

"Tomorrow week." He kissed me with an enthusiasm that left me breathless, so I returned the favour.

"Jane, you seemed surprised by that." The mike was thrust in my face leaving me with no option but to answer.

"I guess that you could say that it appears to be a subsequent proposal."

"So that was the first that you heard of it?"

"We have discussed this for several years, it was only the timing that threw me. I've got to go and prepare to sail back to Sydney." With that, I left them.

A surprise waited for me at the marina in Gladstone, not a pleasant surprise, Roderick. "You think you're smart, don't you?"

"What are you on about?"

"You had me believing that you didn't know how to sail an ocean racer. I now find out that you're a very experienced tactician who definitely knows her way around a racing yacht."

"I'm surprised that you didn't know that, I thought that everyone knew that I was tactician in more than one Sydney to Hobart. You probably overlooked that in your intent on getting into my pants. You should learn to think things through before you act. By the way, if you've been arrested, aren't you supposed in custody?"

"Was it you that told the AFP that I was a person of interest to them?"

"No. In what way are you a person of interest?"

"They questioned me about my business. They have it in their minds that I was somehow involved in money laundering."

"Why come all the way up here to ask me about this? You could have waited for us to get to Brisbane."

"I needed to talk to you."

"Why would that be? I don't suppose it has anything to do with the interception of a certain yacht that you were trying to get me to lease. Or maybe it has something to do with a fishing boat that was intercepted on its arrival in Brisbane?'

"What do you know about that?"

"Only what Brian told me."

"What does he have to do with this?"

"He works for the AFP and has been involved in an international investigation into the importation of cocaine into Australia."

"Fuck."

Desperation can be a funny thing, when it arrives, logic departs. "If I go down it might as well be for something important." He took a pistol from his pocket and I stared down its barrel.

I wasn't desperate, so logic kicked in. "Where did that corm from?"

"Who cares. You've been laughing at me behind my back all of the time, haven't you?"

"No, I've been laughing at you to your face."

This wasn't me being brave, it was me giving Gavin a chance to intervene. Coming around from behind the yacht he gathered speed and yelled as loud as he could, "Hey you!"

Roderick turned to face Gavin just as Gavin's shoulder hit. The two of them left the walkway and hit the water. Roderick's pistol hit the deck. I didn't touch it. Matt arrived in time to help Gavin onto the walkway and they stood and watched Roderick as he floundered in the water. "The police are on their way."

"You guys have saved us from wasting time," the leader of the police contingent of two said as he approached. "Roderick Phillips, we have a warrant for your arrest for breaching the conditions of your bail, not the least of which is approaching and otherwise attempting to influence a Crown witness. You can either allow us to assist you to climb out of the water, or you can swim around until you drown, however long that takes." I bet this guy's the life of the party.

Roderick reached up and was hauled from the water. "Come with us, it seems as if we'll have to handcuff you to the cell bars seeing as you can't be trusted not to leg it." Roderick was told as he was led away.

Brian was waiting for us to arrive in Brisbane. "What would you say if I were to suggest that we fly the crew back and you and I can sail her back to Sydney together."

"Is this a devious plan to get me alone for however many days it takes?"

"Nothing devious about it, my intentions are pure. I have an important question to ask you and, depending on your answer, there may be some celebrations involved."

"Be still my beating heart. Do you intend to propose?"

"Maybe yes, maybe not, you will have to wait."

"Bastard!" I punched him on the upper arm.

"Domestic violence and we aren't even married."

We paid off the crew and put them on a plane for Sydney. The next morning, following the formalities, we departed for the homeward journey.

It happened on the second day of our trip down the coast. It was fine with a light North East breeze at 7 knots gusting to 12, we had the sails set and the self-steering engaged and had just begun to get up-close and personal when there was this almighty thud and she shuddered to a halt before starting again. We scrambled out, not bothering to dress, and everything looked to be okay. Then we heard the sound of water under the floor. Lifting the access panel, we could see an increasing amount of water coming from towards the bow. Whatever we hit, and we assumed a migratory whale, common enough this time of year, had somehow holed the hull.

I was on to the radio straight away while Brian cranked the bilge pump into life. "Mayday, Mayday. Mayday this yacht 'Farr and Away' south-bound to Sydney. our position is 29.706254 South and 153.6333 East, we are currently making twelve knots under sail. We have struck something and are taking on water, our pump is holding but we have a limited supply of fuel. Require assistance ASAP."

"Yacht Farr and Away, AMSA responding, message received and understood. The closest vessel is a Naval Patrol Boat. The captain has picked up your distress call and has advised that she will alter course to intercept, ETA is three hours."

"What is her current location?"

"She is one eighty-five nautical miles South South West of you."

"I will alter heading to intercept, this will close the gap a little. Out."

"Brian, I have an idea."

"I thought you might."

"Grab the spinnaker and fasten the top to the forestay, we'll feed it around the stay, with the sail draped either side, while hanging on to a sheet each drop it overboard. Our speed will, hopefully; carry it under the hull. We'll race back and wrap the sheets around a mid-ship winch and wind them in, that should slow the water getting in, we can't hope to stop it, but it will give us some breathing space."

I went below to check on the water level in the bilge, it seemed to be getting lower. Do I trust it to hold and cancel the tow, or do I head for Coffs Harbour under sail? Never being one to take unnecessary risks, I decided to head for the tow.

I went back on deck to find Brian with that look on his face that told me what he had on his mind. "When we were rushing around doing what we had to do, I couldn't help admiring you, and it had nothing to do with you taking charge to save us. The sight of those amazing tits of yours jiggling around was enough to make me want to grab you and say 'to hell with sinking, let's make love."

"I have to admit that seeing his lordship flapping in the breeze stirred lascivious feelings down there, but I had to concentrate on the job at hand."

"There's no job at hand now, or is there?" He walked towards me with his hips thrust forward and his rampant and rapidly hardening cock inviting me to take matters in hand. Ah well, I couldn't think of a more pleasant way to occupy our time.

Three and a half hours later we were under tow to Coffs Harbour. "That was smart." Lieutenant Francis Cummings commented, pointing to the sail draped under the bow. We were underway again.

"It was my woman's idea." Brian said as he hugged me.

"I didn't doubt that at all, " She said, "I knew that you don't have the sailing smarts of Jane here. You did well in the Brisbane to Gladstone, by the way."

"She had help, she didn't do it all on her own."

"Did I infer that she did? Talk about being precious. To the skipper goes the glory, especially when she's such a great tactician. I know that you weren't there just to make up numbers."

"Go easy on him, Frankie," I told her, "I have plans for him."

"Christ, you're not going to tell me that you're about to let him make an honest woman of you?"

"Work in progress, that's all I'll say."

She was hauled from the water at Coffs and we inspected the damage. It wasn't as bad as first impressions. There was a small fracture in the composite hull a couple of metres from the bow and about twenty centimetres below the waterline. Sid from the local boatyard took a look. "Piece a piss mate," I worked out that he called everyone 'mate', it saved remembering names. "I can place a carbon fibre patch on the inside, clean out the fracture and fill it with chopped fibre and resin. In a couple of days, she'll be just like a bought one."

"What'll it set us back?"

"A couple of hundred dollars should do nicely."

"Good, if it was more than that it would have become an insurance claim on the lease company's policy. As it is, we'll pay it and deduct it from the lease payments when we return it".

He was good to his promise, and two days later we were once more heading down the coast. The only indication of our encounter with whatever, was a small patch of marine primer. The repainting will happen when we get her back home.

Meanwhile, as the weather was pleasantly warm, we both took to spending time wearing nothing more than sunblock. This resulted in many diversionary activities, some on deck, others on the bunk in the cabin.

It was on the day before we arrived back in Sydney that Brian produced a small box from his luggage. "Jane," he said, holding it out to me, "Will you marry me?"

"Not good enough, you've got to be down on one knee for this."

He dropped to one knee.

"Get up, I was joking." I took the ring from the box and slid it onto my finger. Not surprisingly, it fitted perfectly. "You realise that I'm going to have to practise walking around with my left hand out so the world can see this magnificent rock that's weighing down my finger." It was a magnificent rock, a pink Argyle diamond surrounded by a dozen smaller white diamonds. "I won't ask you how much this set you back, but where did you get that kind of money?"

"I'll explain all in due course, but I can tell you that it was part of a sting operation to catch out a drug importation ring."

"The one involving Roderick?"

"Yes, but if you tell a soul I'll have to kill you, after taking the ring back."

I looked at the ring and decided that my lips were sealed.

Our arrival back in Sydney was greeted by both the AFP and Customs, who met us as we came through the Heads, and towed us to a discreet wharf. We were escorted into a dilapidated shed and through a door into a surprisingly well-furnished office. We were greeted by enough silver braid to strangle a horse. "Congratulations Inspector Freeman, we have arrested some of the men higher up the food chain and are closing in on those behind this enterprise, and it's all down to your plan to trap those involved.."

"Hang on a minute, did you say Inspector Freeman?"

"Yes, we told him that the fewer people who knew of his real job the better, we certainly couldn't let Roderick know because he was the lynchpin to this whole operation. It was Inspector Freeman's idea to entice Roderick to buy the yacht brokerage in the first place, and to use it as a vessel (I don't know whether the pun was intended) to launder drug money and facilitator the movement of substantial quantities of cocaine around the world. He was able to buy the brokerage that was involved in the movement of yachts to and from ports all around the world, in particular from the East Coast of the US, through the Panama Canal where the drugs were paid for and collected, to Australia."

"The brokerage was my grandfather's and he allowed me to use it. The money from the sale bought the ring that you're wearing." Brian said.

"The transactions were carried out by a well known Panama based legal practice that is also involved in money laundering on a major scale. We have managed to tap into their electronic financial movements and are very close to identifying those involved at the highest level."