Salt & Vinegar Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She grinned back at me.

Tired, stiff, sore and in sore need of a shower, the sight of Lena's smile still worked like a rest cure.

"Come on, let's get it done."

We took the lift to our floor - what luxury, no more stairs! - and walked down the hallway to our room. Soft jazz came from the door across from ours and muffled laughter. We opened the door to our new place. The removalists had done a good job moving our larger furnishings into the places we'd requested. The packing boxes were neatly stacked to one side of the living space.

"Welcome home, honey", I said.

Lena wrapped her arms around me and we stood for a while in the small entryway. It didn't look like home, it didn't feel like home. It smelt different. But there was our stuff and, most importantly, there was Lena. Home was always where she was.

Louder laughter from across the passage. Not enough to disturb if we closed the door, but it sounded like we had neighbours who liked entertaining. The couple of times we'd been here before over two quick weekend trips - once to look at the place and the other to plan the move - we hadn't seen anyone.

"Noisy fuckers. Shall we go meet the neighbours?" asked Lena.

"Sure. I'm tired, a mess and I probably smell like I walked from San Diego but, hell, why not."

"Maybe they're two hot guys. We can have one each."

"You and your one-track libido. Didn't you just get off an hour or so ago?"

"Yeah, so I'm horny again, alright?"

"You're worse than Chrissie", I sighed.

"Chrissie would hope it was at least four guys and she'd have them all to herself."

"Fair call. So, you're almost as bad as Chrissie. And that's not really a compliment, sweetness."

"Hah!"

I knocked on the door. The music was turned down slightly and a strong male voice called, "Be right there, you two!"

We looked at each other curiously. There was no visible camera or door viewer.

The door swung wide.

"Welcome, welco ..."

The man tailed off and looked at us in surprise. He had obviously been expecting someone else.

----------

LENA

The guy was maybe late sixties? But what a fucking rig! It looked straight out of the 1970's. A brightly coloured short sleeve shirt unbuttoned to expose a white-haired chest and a paunch. A thick gold neck chain. And holding a cocktail glass. Not bad looking, but definitely not in the 'hot guy' category we'd been discussing. A better fit in the 'creeper' category.

"Oh, sorry, was expecting guests", he said. "Not that I mind a couple of very attractive young ladies appearing at my door."

This last with a liquor-fuelled leer.

I was preparing a suitable 'fuck off' line, but Justine spoke first.

"Sorry to disturb you. We're your new neighbours. Just moved in and we thought we'd introduce ourselves and say hello."

"Really? My lucky day then! And hello to you too."

A wink this time to go with the leer. This fucker was definitely a creeper.

"Hey Barb! Come meet the neighbours, Pet!"

As he turned we could see past him into the apartment. There were three other occupants all with similarly bad taste in fashion and in various states of undress. A woman took a moment to refasten some buttons (with difficulty) and then walked unsteadily to the door. Blonde, obviously fake. Tits larger than mine, also obviously fake. Face with very heavy make-up. A leopard print faux-fur skirt that would have looked trashy even on Chrissie. It just looked sad and slutty on her thin hips. A bright and slightly tipsy smile. But a quiet, cultivated voice which contrasted her husband's brash tone."

"Hello, my dears. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Barbara, but please call me Barb."

"And I'm Tom. We were wondering who was moving in, but we didn't expect such quality, did we Pet?"

He nudged her as he gave us another wink. She gave a tinkling little laugh.

"Now, now, Tommy. You behave yourself. Don't pay him any attention, girls. He's always a little rude after a few drinks."

"I am not. I'm just appreciating beauty when I see it. Not that they hold a candle to you, of course, Pet."

"Rogue and liar", she tittered, evidently enjoying the compliment.

"I'm Justine, and this is Lena. We can see you are ... er ... entertaining, and we won't keep you from your guests. Just wanted to let you know we'd moved in."

"Well, that's right neighbourly of you", said Tom. "You don't want to come in for a few drinks?"

Fucking hell, no. I stifled a grin as Justine struggled for a polite response.

"Thanks, but not tonight. We've been driving all day and we're pretty tired. And there's the unpacking."

"Understood, understood. We'll try not to disturb you then. If you hear any funny noises, just hammer on the door and we'll turn the jazz up, OK?"

I laughed, and Tom grinned at me. He knew I'd got the joke. Then his brows creased a little. He was about to say something when the elevator doors opened with a loud 'Hellooo!'.

"Ah, that's Gary and Sheila."

"It was, ah, good to meet you and we'll say goodbye then", said Justine.

"Goodnight, dears", said Barb and she turned to greet the arriving couple.

We backed away from the hugging and kissing as they greeted each other. The door closed to the sounds of more laughter, the clink of glass ware. The jazz faded.

We looked at each other again.

"Well, I think I know why the rent on this place was so low", said Justine.

"Yeah. Funny the real estate agent didn't fucking mention the neighbours were elderly swingers!"

"Want to give them a run for their money?" I grinned. "We could give them some competition."

Justine laughed, but I could see the fatigue on her face. She really was dead beat. I wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"C'mon, gorgeous. Let's get you to bed. We can save the wall banging for another night."

----------

JUSTINE

A knock on our door the following morning derailed my attempt to start the unpacking. I opened it to see a frantic Barb, dressing gown hastily pulled on. Last night's hair and make-up were a complete mess.

"Please, oh please! It's my Tommy. Please help my Tommy! I don't know what to do!"

"Lena!" I yelled over my shoulder.

We followed her back to their apartment. The living space was littered with detritus from last night's party. No evidence of drugs - not obviously anyway - but plenty of empty liquor bottles. Tommy was collapsed on the floor in the doorway to the bedroom. I checked for a pulse on his neck. Alive, but erratic. Breathing, ragged. He stirred at my touch.

"Tom, it's Justine. Can you understand me?"

"Heart ... pills ... bathroom", he slurred.

Angina, I guessed. And he'd gone a bit hard last night.

I quickly went into the bathroom and rummaged through the wall cabinet. Amongst the collection of toiletries was a bottle with a label I recognised. My Dad used those tablets.

Together, Lena and I hauled Tom into a sitting position as carefully as we could. I opened his mouth and placed a tablet under his tongue. In a few moments, his breathing became more regular and the strain on his face began to ease.

"Tommy, oh Tommy! You're OK!"

Barb cast herself to the floor at his side and flung her arms around him.

"Easy now, Pet. Easy. I'm not dead yet. Let me breathe, OK?"

She relaxed her clasp but continued to lean against him, sobbing quietly. He put his hand over hers and gave it a feeble squeeze.

"Should have put my pills on the bedside table", he said. "Bit out of it last night and forgot. Couldn't make it to the bathroom this morning. Barb's eyes aren't so good, and she couldn't find the right ones."

"I think you should go to the hospital and get checked over", said Justine.

"You're right. This turn was a bad one and I don't want Pet to worry."

"Not sure we can get you to the car, though. OK if I call an ambulance? The paramedics can check you over first and make sure you're alright."

"Yes please, and thanks girls", he smiled weakly.

The paramedics duly arrived, examined him and pronounced he really should get a thorough check-up at a hospital. Barb didn't want to leave him. She only let them take Tom away when we promised to drive her to see him as soon as he'd finished his tests.

"Besides", I said, "you'll want to get changed and look nice for Tom when you see him, right?"

Barb agreed. While she showered and changed, Lena and I went into the kitchen and made some hot drinks. A cup of tea for Barb and I figured they wouldn't mind if we made some coffee for ourselves.

When Barb returned, she was a different person. Gone was the wig and hideous party wear. An attractive frock, nice makeup and neat, tidy grey hair made her look quite sweet. A thin pearl necklace completed the ensemble.

"This dress is Tommy's favourite", she said. "Thank you so much, my dears. This tea is lovely!"

The phone rang and Barb was happy to hear that the General had finished all Tom's tests and that the results were promising. We drove her to the hospital and she spent an hour with Tom. When we got back I offered to help her clean up the mess.

"Thank you, Justine, but I'll be just fine. You've done so much for us today already. It'll do me good to slowly work through getting things ready for Tommy to come home tomorrow. Besides, you have your own settling in to do. Really, thank you so much for everything."

We said goodbye and went to begin our own unpacking.

----------

LENA

My wall montage was complete. I'd spent a few hours finding the right arrangement for my photographs and was finally happy with the result. Justine was just happy that I'd finished. She'd been making pointed remarks for the last hour about how much she'd done while I was 'fucking around with those photos'.

Justine had taken a box of clothes into the bedroom some 20 minutes ago, so I went to go help. I figured I needed to redeem myself. She was standing holding the curtain, looking out toward the gardens. The late afternoon light lit her hair aflame and cast her into silhouette. The gentle breeze moved the sheer fabric of the gauze drape in a slow dance around her. I got a quick shot with my phone. Not my best, but still not bad.

I crossed the room and put my arms around her.

"Oh!", she jumped.

"Who'd you think it was?"

"You just startled me, that's all."

"Tom's not back from hospital until tomorrow so you're safe from the old lecher tonight."

"I'm sure he's not that bad."

"You hope. He better hope too because, if he lays a finger on you, he'll need more than one fucking day in the hospital."

"Don't say that."

She went quiet and continued to stare out the window.

"You OK, Jus?"

"Don't know. Not sure."

"Worried about Tom?" I joked.

"No, stupid. The hospital this morning just messed me up a bit. Memories."

Oh, of course. And my dumb line about putting Tom back there hadn't helped.

"I'm supposed to be starting the new job tomorrow. I'd really hoped just to have today to settle in and get my head in the right place. Now I just feel shitty, off-balance and nervous."

"I understand. Sorry about the shit line on Tom. Didn't really mean it like that, you know? It's natural to be a bit nervous, but I don't think you need worry. You'll do great. Sean offered you this because he recognised your talent."

"I know, but what if I can't live up to his expectations?"

"Just start small and give yourself space to adjust. Get some quick, easy wins in and then take your time with the bigger stuff. No one expects miracles in the first week."

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks, babe."

She sighed deeply and leant back into me.

"And since when did you turn into a management consultant?" she asked.

"Hah. It's called making shit up. 'Fake it 'til you make it' and all that."

I felt her smile and I squeezed her a little harder. I rested my head on her shoulder. The smell of her hair was amazing. We use the same shampoo and conditioner, but somehow it smells different on her. Or maybe I'm just more attuned to the smell of her underneath. I pulled her hair away and around to expose the nape of her neck and kissed it gently.

"No matter what happens, I'm always here, and you're the most special, precious, beautiful thing in the world to me."

She shivered. I kissed her neck again and I could feel the goosebumps.

I reached up and slowly began unbuttoning her shirt. A long, slow lick from her shoulder line up the side of her neck and a soft nibble on her earlobe.

A soft sigh.

Buttons undone all the way down and I ran my hands back up the bare skin of her stomach. Lingering touch across her breasts and then I cupped her face gently. I turned her around slowly and kissed her deeply.

"Love you so much, Jus."

Hands now sliding around to caress her lower back. Down to cup her ass and pull her into me. Back up and unfastening her bra. Up and around her shoulders to slowly roll the sleeves down her arms. Bra straps follow and the shirt and bra fall away.

I release and hold her away from me slightly, holding her tenderly by her upper arms and looking into her eyes. The light is still behind her and it blushes her ivory skin rose. Her eyes are in shadow, the normally bright blue now dark pools inviting me to drown in their depths. This girl: I can't get enough of her. Just to love her is too little. I want to be with her. In her. Be her.

I walk backwards, pulling her with me and we fall onto the bed.

Her skin, soft and smooth but burning hot underneath my touch. Or maybe I'm hot. Or both of us, I can't tell. Her hair falling around my face; red-gold mixing with my ink black. Her breath on my face, warm and uneven. Our lips together again, tongues entwining. The taste of her; oh, the taste!

I roll her and lie beside her. One hand removing her shorts and the other tracing lazy circles across her breasts and stomach. The light filtering through the gauze plays across her and I follow it, watching the heave of her chest as she breathes. I can feel her need. I know it like I know my own soul. It calls to me, demanding recognition. Unspoken, yet commanding. I cannot help but obey.

I move to drag her shorts and panties clear and pause for a minute to drink in the perfection of her naked form. Hair like fire splayed wild on white sheets with a matching patch of flame on her groin. Control, Lena.

I clasp her hands to mine as I start again from the top. Kisses on her mouth, her face, her throat, the join of her collar bone. A lick between the swell of her breasts, her nipples hard with desire in the periphery of my vision. Control, control ...

Down to her navel and I trace my tongue around the soft hollow of her centre. The goosebumps rise again and her hands flutter in mine. I know what she wants but she must wait a little longer. I bring her hands to my face and kiss the tips of each of her fingers. Then while watching her I suck one slowly and lovingly. Her eyes now are wild and crazy with need. Control, control ...

I hold eye contact as I release her hands and gently kiss her mound. My hands glide down her flanks then back to cradle her hips. Licks to the tops of her thighs and inwards. My chin parts her legs and ... oh, fuck! ... the smell of her is insane! I am shaking as I extend my tongue to just touch the folds of her exquisite sex. And with a primal groan of want, she opens herself wide to me and I am lost.

Fuck control.

I feed.

----------

JUSTINE

The room comes back into focus.

Lena is cradling me tenderly against her.

"That was ... amazing ... babe. You've had me so often, how can you still do that ... make me feel like ... I ..."

"Shhh, hush now."

I was basking lazily in the warmth of her embrace when I realized I hadn't given Lena any attention. She was probably crazy with need.

"Hey, want me to do you?"

"Nope, I'm fine. That was for you."

"Sure?"

"Yeah. Actually, I did myself while you were out to it."

"What?! No fair!"

She kissed the top of my head.

"All good, I promise. Besides, there's always later tonight. And tomorrow. I'm sure we could fit in a quickie between breakfast and getting you off for your first day of work."

"You are incorrigible!" I laughed and gave her a playful little punch.

I rolled off the bed and struggled a bit to get my balance on jelly legs.

"Steady there, honey."

I tottered off to the shower, my entire body still awash with latent tremors of delirium.

Lena was still lazing on the bed when I returned.

She was stretched out with her head propped on one arm watching me. A goddess in repose. Absolutely stunning. How am I this lucky?

"Before you fill your diary up with work, can I book you for Friday night?" asked Lena.

"Sure. Plans? Gallery stuff already?"

"Nope, just the end of your first week. Thought we should celebrate."

"I'd really love that! Thanks, babe."

----------

JUSTINE

The week went by in a blink.

As Lena had predicted, I was given the space to settle in at the company and into my new role. On Monday, I met my team. By Wednesday, I'd got a good feel for the state of the projects and was able to direct a few changes to improve direction and outcomes. Come Friday, I was starting to feel at home and Sean caught up with me in the afternoon. He'd given me some really encouraging feedback - the team liked me, my feel for the projects was spot on and he was excited about the changes I was already making.

I was pumped when I opened the door to our apartment on Friday evening. Something also smelled delicious. Since when did Lena cook like this?

"Welcome home, Jus", said Lena as she wandered out of the kitchen.

I did a double take because I thought she had nothing on under an apron. But it covered a singlet and shorts. Not that I would have minded the other, I thought dirtily. She gave me a hug and a long kiss.

"So, first week down? Go well?"

"Yeah, really well. You were right. I'm doing great."

"Told you."

Another kiss.

"So, what are we doing tonight then? Or are we doing each other?" I asked hopefully.

"Too right, but dinner first. And a surprise."

"Smells great! Beef?"

"Yep."

"Since when do you do roast dinners?"

"I asked Barb for some help."

"Oh, wait ... the surprise isn't dinner with Tom, is it?"

"No!", she laughed. "But we are having dinner with them Sunday night. Tom and Barb called earlier to invite us over as thanks for our help last weekend. Nothing weird, they said. Just a normal dinner. I told him we'd come. Then I asked Barb to give me some tips for the roast."

"Well, it smells divine! How long?"

"I reckon about twenty minutes. You've got time for a shower."

The dinner was as good as the smell had promised. I slumped on the couch afterwards, nursing a drink and a slight food coma. I dozed to the clatter of dishes in the kitchen. I'd been told to leave the clean up and go relax.

Lena walked in and knelt by my head. She took the glass away and put it on the side table. She stayed there kneeling beside me. I turned to look at her. She had an expression on her face I'd never seen before. Determined, focussed, yet with an undercurrent of nervousness.

"Something important happened today."

I sat up.

"Yep, nailed my first week!"

"And that", she smiled. "But something else. See the news?"

"No, should I have?"

"Today they relegalized same-sex marriage in the state of California."

A small smile played around Lena's lips. She held out a little box.

"Justine McIntyre, will you marry me?" she said simply.

I was stunned. Then I was delirious.

"Yes, oh yes! A thousand times yes!!"

I threw myself into her arms and then we were hugging and crying and smiling and laughing. Lena opened the box and through tears I saw the glint of gold and the flash of cut stones. The ring was stunning. A cluster of tiny little diamonds was set in a pattern of peach blossoms almost exactly like the ink on Lena's thigh. Inside was engraved, 'For Justine, my love and my life - Lena.'