Sausage and The Law Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Griswold: "We are solidifying the rank structure within County Jail. The Warden of the Jail will be a one-star Deputy Sheriff with the authority to match. County Jail is a semi-independent branch within the Sheriff's Department."

Griswold: "Next on the ranks list is Lieutenant Commander, denoted by a silver oak leaf cluster. The Senior Deputy Sheriff will be in that rank, and will have direct leadership over the Operations aspects of the Department, which I'll show later."

Griswold: "Next is the Major slot, with a gold oak leaf cluster. The overall Public Safety Department Public Relations Officer will be in this position... if I can ever convince Captain Thompson of the TCPD to trade his blue uniform for a khaki one. As it is, he's been doing the overall job for me as well as for the Police, and he's doing a fabulous job."

Griswold: "The Captain and Lieutenant ranks are for leaders in specific areas, and many of them come from the Police or other branches, and finish out their 20 years for their pensions with us. We also have the Sergeant-At-Arms, and Harrison J. Pierce here is doing a great job there. We also have what looks like a Warrant Officer bar, with the black squares inside. This is unfilled for now, but can be given to persons qualified for very highly specialized tasks. The Motor Pool and the Armory are two places I'm thinking of, there."

Griswold: "We also have a Training Sergeant rank, with two rockers under the chevrons. In the event of major expansion, this role would be a leadership role over other trainers in the various branches. It may never be used, but it's there. And then we have Sergeants, Corporals, and Deputies."

Another slide with a blue background came onto the screen. Griswold said "And now for the Police. The Chief will have three stars, the Assistant Chief two stars. Commander Troy likes the title 'Commander', so he gets it along with two stars. I.A. Chief Abram will be elevated to one star, and the Deputy Chief remains at one star... and Tanya Muscone is doing a brilliant job there, proving that handi-capable people can kick butt, too."

"Hear hear!" said the Iron Crowbar, Green Crowbar, and Iron Wolf at the same time. Susan Weston scowled at us.

Griswold picked it back up: "The Operations Commander is the same. The rank of Major exists, and may be for Installations or Physical Properties if counties merge and we have to increase the number of installations or absorb other counties into new precincts, which will thrill Reginald B.F. Lewis no end."

"It'll thrill me, too." muttered Edgar Silas.

Griswold: "Captain and Lieutenant remain what they are, and below that you will see an old rank that Commander Troy kept on the books but we were not using. It's that Warrant Officer-like rank, denoting a specialist in a field, an extremely qualified Detective, or a Supervisor of a relative small and specialized group. We just put Yolanda Grissom in as CSI Supervisor under Lieutenant Mary Milton, and Yolanda has already helped up solve that double murder in the Rio Linda Apartments recently."

Griswold: "The so-called enlisted ranks have not changed, except the Senior Sergeant equivalent rank can be given to someone designated as a Training Sergeant."

"Why do Detectives get to outrank their equivalent Uniformed Officer ranks?" asked Susan Weston. Since she'd been a Police Captain, I knew the question was either rhetorical, or she wanted to make trouble.

"They're expected to be leaders." I said. "So they're over Corporals, and the Detective Sergeant position is over Sergeants. They are often in charge of crime scenes, and they're given commiserate rank and authority to do their jobs." Susan Weston shut her potty mouth and kept it shut.

As a red-backed chart came up, Sheriff Griswold said "Next is the Fire Department, and they are enduring the most and biggest changes. On this chart, we put the Navy-looking sleeve ranks as well as the other rank insignia. The Fire Chief goes to three stars, and the Assistant Chief and Fire Marshal are at two stars. The Fire Marshal's office is even more compartmentalized and distinct, as well."

Griswold: "The Fire Marshal used to also be the I.A. Chief, but that is no longer; we will be separating Internal Affairs to keep it in line with the other branches. The Deputy Chief, which is for Admin, is a one-star, as is the I.A. Chief."

Griswold: "Anticipating a very large expansion if counties are merged, we created a Brigade Chief position, which is denoted by a bird colonel insignia. It will be what a Battalion Chief is now in the event we have a lot more units. The Battalion Chiefs in the field and Superintendents of Installations are pretty much the same. We kept that former Superintendent gold oak leaf cluster but we're not using it right now. Again, that's for possible expansion."

Griswold: "The only other changes are a Lead Technician rank, with the Warrant Officer bar, and we're essentially eliminating the Engineer (J.G.) position, denoted by Corporal stripes. We're not using it, and so that rank will sit there unused until circumstances warrant."

A green-backed slide appeared, and Sheriff Griswold said "And I think this is going to be an exciting change in our EMS Department. The EMS Chief will have three stars, and the EMS Commander, a.k.a. the Assistant Chief, will have two stars. Zoe Singer also likes the title 'Commander', and she will be getting it."

"Yayyy." I said quietly, which made some people smile.

Sheriff Griswold: "The EMS Admin Officer and the new position of Internal Affairs Chief will have one star. But we also have a new position here, called the 'Liaison Officer'. If you think about it, the EMS service works with every other branch. If the Police make an arrest and someone needs medical attention, EMTs show up. When Firefighters or fire victims need medical attention, EMTs are there. And for Public Health emergencies, EMTs are relied upon for assistance and transportation."

Sheriff Griswold: "Therefore, the EMTs will have Liaison Officers. The senior such Officer will be a one-star, and the branches will have Majors or Captains in the roles. Commander Troy tells me this is something like military Armor and Infantry units having Field Artillery Officers attached to their units to call for artillery. For us, these liaison officers will allow for a speedier response to emergency needs. Also, if the HAZMAT Team is moved to the EMS, then there will be an Emergency Response Commander, also a one-star."

Sheriff Griswold: "We've put in an empty Battalion Chief and Superintendent slot, but they are for expansion purposes, and we don't need them nor can we justify them right now. But they're there for the future. The rest of the ranks are pretty much what they are now, with the addition of that specialized field Warrant Officer bar."

A salmon-pink-backed slide appeared, and the Sheriff said "I'll go over the Public Health structure, though this may be left up to themselves in May. The PHO will be three stars, the APHO, and there will be more than one, will be two stars. Underneath is a Field Commander and HAZMAT Commander with silver oak leaf clusters, and an Installation or Clinic Commander with the gold oak leaves. Captains and Lieutenants are Medical Officers. The only so-called enlisted ranks are the field people in the HAZMAT units, and technicians in the clinics."

Sheila Sorrells said "If you ever wanted to have material to campaign for separating the Public Health Service from the other branches, just show people this. The differences from the other branches are very clear."

I piped up and said "The Town & County Public Health Service was modeled after the national Public Health Service, which is led by the Surgeon General of the United States. So there are some similarities, but yes, there are many differences."

The Sheriff then showed the org charts, which I admit I had entirely too much fun making. Griswold said of the Sheriff Department's chart: "First, you can see that drug testing will be consolidated into one Public Safety Department testing team. Next, you can see just how much we do in the Sheriff's Department. We have support for the Courts, for other Installations, and mobile operations such as patrols and assisting in the field at crime scenes and fires."

Sheriff Griswold: "Every Admin Department of every branch has Finance, Public Relations, Logistics, and we've added boxes for Regulations and EO/EEO. We've always done had that, but the Feds can't complain if they see it written right there on the chart."

"Oh, they'll complain." said Edgar Silas.

Sheriff Griswold said "There's not a lot of actual changes, just clarity when we actually diagram these things out. We've added boxes for things like Logistics, like Maintenance, like Training. The Fire Marshal's Department has some isolation it didn't have before, as do the Internal Affairs Departments."

"Okay, any questions?" the Sheriff asked.

"No, let's just pass the damn thing and go home." said John Colby. Everyone laughed... but it would be four more hours before everyone went home. You would not believe the minutiae that politicians can find to argue over. But in the long run, they could not overcome the iron logic of the Iron Crowbar...

Part 12 - Dog Days

12:00 high noon, Sunday, January 16th. Sheriff Griswold, Laura, Carole, Jim and I arrived at Cindy and Callie's house on the hill behind Promontory Point. This day was baby Benjamin Antonio Jenkins's first birthday. Betsy Ross's fourth birthday had been on January 6th, and she'd gotten some gifts then. Today was a 'joint celebration', and for a most very special reason.

When Cindy opened the front door to let us in, Betsy ran up to us. "Carole! We got puppies!" she said excitedly.

"Let's go see them!" Carole replied excitedly. Betsy led the way into the main room, where two white puppies were in a large wire cage in the main room. Also in the room were Maggie Ross, Molly Ross Evans, Ross Troy and Ian Troy. Holding his son Benjamin was FBI Special Agent Tim Jenkins.

"Ah, cage training." I said. "Very good."

"They call it 'crate training' now." Cindy said as Betsy and Carole went to the cage. "Now that you're here, I'll put them on their leashes and we can take them outside." She did so, and a moment later we were on the back patio with the kids and puppies on leashes. Cindy walked them out to the down-sloping backyard along the far edge fence to do their business, and gave them a treat when they did. Part of 'crate training', she said.

Then we sat in chairs and on benches on the back deck around the lit fire pot and did some dog petting. "George is the pure white one." Cindy said. "Charlotte has little brown spots on the edges of her ears and around her eyes. She's been spayed, but we haven't neutered George, and may not."

Betsy was sitting next to me, and she was petting Charlotte. George way vying for her attention as well, but she was ignoring him. "Betsy," I asked as I petted George, "why aren't you petting George, too?"

"He's Ben's dog." said Betsy. "Charlotte is my dog."

"Well," I said, "Ben is just a year old, so he is going to need your help giving the dogs lots of love. And my advice is that when you have two dogs, never pet one without petting the other, too., so that they both know how much you love them."

"Okay." Betsy said. She petted George and said "I love you too, George!" George looked at Betsy with pure love in his canine eyes. And all the kids petted both puppies from then on...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After opening presents, blowing out candles, and having cake and ice cream (which Betsy consumed in large quantities), everyone talked in the greatroom, with the puppies in their wire cage, sleeping. After a while, Teresa, Cindy, Sheriff Griswold, and I went onto the back deck again despite the cold. We sat around the fire pot as we talked 'shop'.

"So the Council passed the structure changes?" Cindy asked.

Sheriff Griswold replied "They will, on Tuesday. The Committee worked out the bill and voted 8-1 to send it to the Council for a vote, Silas abstaining and Carnes voting against. They also surprised me by going ahead and transferring the HAZMAT Team to the EMS, no matter what happens with the ballot vote to separate the PHS."

I said "Edward Steele told me that that was the sop to the Democrats in exchange for supporting the rest of it. In spite of the bipartisan vote about the Public Health Service, streamlining the PHS so that the Free Clinics become a much greater part of their reason to exist is what the Dems want."

"Well, that's one issue down. Two, really." Cindy said. "What's next?"

"University Hospital and the State Legislature." Teresa replied. "I testify Tuesday before the Joint State House-Senate Select Committee."

"So you're doing it?" I asked. Teresa nodded.

"And so are you, Crowbar." growled Griswold. "You're going down there, too." Teresa and Cindy both looked over at me, their faces connoting surprise.

I said "The Governor asked both me and Laura to go down and have talks with her and several Legislators. Considering that Teresa is going to be there, I'm guessing it's about the Hospital, and maybe the University itself. Time will tell..."

Part 13 - Testify, Sister!

10:00am, Tuesday, January 18th. Teresa Croyle walked into the packed Committee Chamber and was led to the witness table. Before her were the long, curved benches, three-deep, with Legislators sitting behind them. Teresa was wearing a dark green form-fitting dress with nude stockings and high heel pumps, looking tasteful and elegant.

After being sworn in, Teresa sat down. Committee Co-Chairman Jimmy Cerone, the State Senator from Southport, said "We want to thank you for coming today. The issues concerning University Hospital are very serious. Would you like to make an opening statement?"

"Yes sir, I would." Teresa said, then began her prepared remarks: "I appreciate the invitation and the chance to speak to you today about something that is very near and dear to my heart: finding cures for rare diseases."

Teresa: "I have been fortunate to be able to provide the proceeds from my Trust to fund the research as well as the implementation of the cures that research has provided. But I can't do it alone. I need the researchers that work tirelessly to develop the cures. I need the very best doctors, working with the same desire and passion to cure sick little children. I need the nurses, and the employees of the Hospital to tend to the patients."

Teresa: "But the Research Program at University Hospital has come under a threat. The very best and brightest doctors do not want to come to University Hospital, because their employment is threatened by heartless people that demand they sign 'loyalty documents' to a political issue. Not only do I believe the demand to sign such documents are unethical, I believe the extortion and blackmail that these demands represent should be outlawed by this State Legislature..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the opening statement, the Legislators were invited to ask Teresa questions. Most of the Legislators simply expressed their support for the Research Program and their thanks to Teresa for her generous Trust. But you know there's always one or two nuts in the box of chocolates... and this Committee's examples were State Senator Maxine Watts (D - The City Badlands District) and State Rep Nina Cortez (D - Midtown).

"Ms. Croyle," said Maxine Watts, "do you understand that Climate Change is the greatest threat to Humanity today? And don't you agree that policies in support of the 'settled science' of Climate Change are necessary to save the planet?"

Teresa said "On the actual issue of Climate Change, I plead ignorance and apathy: I don't know, and I don't care. Some say the science is settled, others say the science is bought and paid for, and fraudulent. What I -do- know is that the issue has been politicized and weaponized in a direction that is hurting my Kids."

Then came the rabidly Leftist Nina Cortez: "Ms. Croyle, do you support the great cause of Climate Justice? Don't you agree that steps must be taken and policies implemented that will force people to act in a way that will reverse the terrible harm that has been inflicted on our planet, and that will ultimately save it?"

Teresa said "In all your rhetoric about saving the planet, I'm not hearing one word about saving sick children's lives. And I'm here right now because the policies based upon your rhetoric are what's interfering with and harming the efforts to save sick children's lives. Who knows? Maybe one of the kids whose life is saved by the research paid for by my Trust will be the one who finds a better and less weaponized solution for the planet..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Senator Cerone," said Co-Chairman Moe Molinari at 12:00 high noon. "I believe it's time."

"Oh my goodness, yes it is." said Cerone. "Ms. Croyle, thank you for coming and talking with us today. I'll escort you to where we're going next. Everyone else, please take your own places."

With that cryptic statement, Senator Cerone came down and escorted Teresa out of the Chamber. She saw all the other Legislators file out of the room and go the other way down the hall as Cerone took her to the door of the Governor's official office. Governor Sharon Marshall came out of her office, followed by Todd Burke, Dr. Laura Fredricson... and me, Your Iron Crowbar."

"Hello Commander Croyle." Sharon Marshall said. "I appreciate you coming here today. Come with me, please." We headed down the hallway with the Governor and her security people. In case you're wondering, I was wearing a dark gray suit, almost-white silver shirt, and very solid red tie. I'd had it for a long time: it was from the 'Donald Trump Collection' of ties from years before.

We came up to the door of the State House Chamber, where Carole and I had entered some time before. (Author's note: 'Schoolhouse Rock', Ch. 07.). The Governor bade me and Teresa to stay there while she escorted Laura and Todd on down the aisle to seats in the front row on the left side, then sat down next to Senator Cerone. Speaker Peter Long Cox and Lieutenant Governor Corey Coons were in the seats behind the speaker's podium in the well.

"What is this?" Teresa asked, seeing the State House totally full of Legislators. "A joint session?"

"Yep." I said.

"What the heck are you up to?" Teresa asked, peering up at me.

"Up to no good, as usual." I replied with a grin. The grin got wider when I said "I'm going to ask the Legislature to rename the Hospital 'Teresa Croyle Hospital'."

"You better not!" Teresa all but exploded. "I will take that red crowbar from you and beat you down with it, right here in front of all these people... and politicians, too." Then she saw me grinning, but she wasn't quite sure if I was joking or not.

She didn't have time to contemplate. The Speaker gaveled the Legislature into session, then nodded to the Sergeant-At-Arms in front of us, who announced "Mis-ter Speak-er, Town & County Police Commander Donald Troy and Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle!"

I had Teresa walk in front of me. The Legislature had risen to their feet and were delivering a thundering ovation as we followed the Sergeant-At-Arms down to the floor of the Chamber. Governor Marshall was standing and waiting for us. As the ovation finally died down, she said "We are here in Joint Session to honor one of the bravest and kindest Police Officers in this State, Teresa Croyle!"

More thunderous applause. Then the Governor said "Commander Troy, would you like to say a few words first?" Teresa was looking very nervous.

"Thank you, Governor." I said, coming to the microphone. "Thank you, everyone, for allowing me to speak to you today. I just want to tell you about my friend and colleague Teresa Croyle, about her bravery, and about her incredibly generous heart."