Saving Hibreon Ch. 06

Story Info
Wy comes home, and Lost wakes Luma.
4.4k words
4.83
2k
00

Part 7 of the 14 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/29/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Guinahart
Guinahart
93 Followers

I hope everyone is enjoying the story. Life's issues allow me only a chapter a month right now, so please have patience. As always, I appreciate your comments, and thank you for reading.

-Guinevere A. Hart

***

The Norrhim camp was on the rocky arctic coast, near the entrance to the "dragon" cave where Wy was certain Lost would find her ship. Though it was night, there was no actual sunset. It was the season when the sun would wobble around the rim of the artic. It meant they would have plenty of light to work in.

To avoid startling any villagers, they put the shuttle down just outside of the area they wanted. It was a place that was supposed to be only a hunting camp. From the air, Wy could see there were more structures than he expected, and it looked as though most of them had been recently built. He took it as good sign that his people were still thriving.

Wy paced outside the shuttle. He was impatient as Lem and Araquies donned suits to protect their sensitive bodies from the cold. Kytia and Lost, already suited up, leaned against the hull of the craft, and watched him pace.

Kytia said, "Wy, it's going to be okay."

He was about to ask what if it wasn't, when Lost hopped up and took a few steps. Magic flared over her marks and her long, tapered ears swiveled forward. She extended her arm and pointed at a large boulder. In warning, she simply stated, "Somebody."

In a second, Kytia had her helm back on and her staff in her hands. Wy headed off his two mates and barked, "Settle down!"

Lost immediately dropped her magic, shrugged, and casually returned to her place by the shuttle. Of course, Kytia challenged, "Damn it, Wy. She sees and hears things we don't. I am not going to let us get ambushed by whatever the fuck lives out here!"

"My people live out here, Kytia. No doubt, they saw us land."

"Fine," she said, but she kept her battle-ready stance. She called out toward the rock, "Hey! You better be Norrhim out there. Answer me. And if you sound anything like a gods damned Ay'niki, you best crawl back under that fucking rock."

A calm male voice returned, "I'm Heingrim, Norrhim of Fjallheim. Who're you?"

Wy kept himself between Kytia and the elder who had lived next door to him in the village. "Grim, it's Wyfrost. I went home, but no one's there."

Grim came from his hiding spot. Wy was surprised to see he was armed with a modified Ay'niki hand-canon. The thing was kitted out with a shield and bayonet. It was an unbalanced monstrosity, but the Ay'niki weapon never needed accuracy for lethality. Hitting somewhere within the general vicinity of the target was good enough for dead.

Grim lowered the canon and stared off behind Wy at the elves in alien armor. Then Lem and Araquies emerged from the shuttle. When the old Norrhim returned his attention to Wy, he said, "Good to have you home, but what have you brought with you?"

Wy waved his hand and gave introductions. Staring at Araquies and Lem, Grim asked, "Did they come from the stars? Like the blue-skins?"

Wy nodded, but he clarified the distinction with, "Different folks, different stars, but yeah. Kytia here is from Raelinholm, and Lost... well, she's just Lost."

Lost muttered, "Pfft. Na'i."

Before she could launch into a life story about getting swallowed by gods, Wy wanted his own questions answered. "What's happened, Grim? Where is everyone?"

"They're here, in Camp Jokul, everyone who's left anyway." They all moved as group toward the camp, and Grim explained. "Ay'niki hit us three years ago. It seemed they were mainly interested in taking the elves from the Quarter. They took some of our kind too, but mostly killed those who tried to protect the village. We lost a lot of people during that attack. They tried to come at us twice more after that, but we were ready. Been a good year now since we've seen one of their kind in our territories. Still, Arl Isulf doesn't want to leave anyone unprotected. So, when it's time for the summer hunt, the whole clan moves north together."

"Isulf's still Arl, then? That's good to hear."

"Yeah, nothing's going to take him down. We lost Vala Gudny about six months ago, but it wasn't the blue-skinned monsters that got her. She just got too old to withstand the Mountain's winter."

Wy was sad to learn that the Vala was gone, and he thought Grim had paused out of respect for the village wise woman. As the pause grew long and heavy though, Wy knew he had to ask. "Grim, my family?"

Grim took a long time to answer, carefully choosing his words. "Your mom is good. Your niece and nephew are with her."

Wy stopped walking and demanded more. "My brother? What happened to Raeric and Helod?"

Grim's shoulders slumped. His voice began low and hollow but gained strength as he answered. "That first strike, they took the best of us, Wy. They took Raeric up into the belly of their flying metal beast. Helod was the one who started us reverse engineering the equipment they'd lost in the fight. It's because of her, we were able to beat them back when they hit us again. Your sister-in-law died on her feet, a true Norrhim warrior."

Wy had admired Helod. His brother's mate was a strong and stubborn woman, much like Kytia. He worried about his mother, having to raise her young grandchildren in her advanced years. Part of him believed he should step up and take responsibility for his brother's little ones, but he knew it would be better to give them their father back.

If Raeric had been taken and forced into the gladiatorial arenas like Wy, he might still be alive. He kept that thought to himself, not wanting to raise any false hope. He resolved to look for Raeric while they were rescuing Mila. The first thing he'd need was a proper ship, and he silently prayed that he knew just where to find one.

Their arrival in Jokul was met with solemn Norrhim faces. Young and old, male and female, everyone had a weapon in their hands, ready to send the Ay'niki back to the Infernal Tempest they spawned from. Some brightened upon seeing Heingrim with Wyfrost, but they didn't lower their arms, untrusting of the odd strangers who tagged along.

A gruff voice grunted at the assembly, "Let me through." The villagers parted for Arl Isulf. He was missing most of a leg and supported himself on a crutch, while he wielded an axe in his free hand. His eyes narrowed as he observed the aliens, but he spoke directly to Wyfrost. "I'm old, boy. I don't have time for bear shit. Is this a fight or a feast?"

Wy answered, "Sounds like there's been enough fighting, my Arl. These are the friends who brought me home, so my vote's on the feast."

His word was good enough for Arl Isulf. He hooked his axe back on his belt and nodded with a grin. "Wyfrost, welcome home, boy."

Wy heard his mother call his name. She barreled passed everyone including the Arl and threw her arms around her son. In between hugs and kisses on his cheeks and his forehead, she scolded, "Where the Infernal have you been? I thought you were dead. Do have any idea what we've been through?" It took a good minute for her to settle down, but Wy was grateful for every bit of that reunion.

While Wy's mother fussed over him, Grim made introductions for his guests. By that point, everyone had put away their weapons. Those not converging in the curiosity crowd, went off to prepare an impromptu celebration.

When she gave him room to breathe, Wy followed his mother to the tiny house she shared with her grandchildren. She noticed that Kytia and Lost kept in step with them, while Araquies and Lem mingled with the rest of the village. So Wyfrost reintroduced his mates. "Mom, this is Kytia and Lost. I wouldn't be here without them."

She studied her son's face and those of the women he'd brought home. It didn't take her long, at all. She stated, "That means two things, I think. Does it, Wy?"

She made him feel like a kid. The grin on his face was stupid and sheepish, and he knew it, but he couldn't help it. It wasn't the way he'd ever imagined bringing a bride home to his mother, let alone two of them. But life events never really did turn out any way he thought they would.

She appraised his companions with shrewd eyes and then smiled. "Who'd have thought that I would have a lovely pair of elf daughters? Welcome home, loves."

When Wy's mother opened the door, she loudly said, "Don't worry about waking Brand and Dorid, because they simply leapt back into bed and threw the blanket over their heads when they heard us coming in."

Brand, who was eight, was mature enough to know his bluff had been called. He sat up and took the blanket off his head. His four-year-old sister, Dorid, kept her eyes shut tight, and she rolled pulling the blanket back up to cover her pretense. Brand nudged her, "Amma knows we were up, Dori. She always knows everything. Quit being a baby."

The boy turned solemn eyes up to Wyfrost's and asked, "Uncle Wy, did you bring our Da home?"

Wy knelt down to get eye level with his nephew, "Not yet. But I'm going to work on that, okay?"

Brand nodded and turned away. He went to the window and unlocked the shutter to see what was going on outside. Brand had been five when Wyfrost had been taken, and the boy still remembered him.

Dorid was only an infant then, so she had never really met Wy. She came right up to him and searched his face. "You're my Uncle?" she asked.

"Yeah," Wy said. "Nice to meet you, Dori."

She briefly hugged him, then she stood in front of Lost and Kytia and looked up at them. "Are you my aunties?"

Kytia seemed at a loss for words. With a beaming smile, Lost spoke up. "Yeah, we aunties."

Dori joined her brother and climbed a chair to look out the window. She chirped, "The other kids are outside, Amma. I wanna tell my friends I have elf aunties!"

"Go on then," his mother said. "Brand..."

"I know. Watch my sister." Brand and Dori exited, leaving the door wide open behind them.

Wy's mother spoke to him as she shut the door. "They're definitely related to you."

She checked the window to make sure Brand wasn't listening, then she indicated that they should all sit down at the kitchen table. "Now, what's this about you 'working' on bringing Raeric home? Why did you tell Brand that?"

"He's my brother, Mom." Wy began.

She cut him off. "And he's my son! Don't you think I want him back just as much as they want their father? But not at the risk of losing you again, Wy."

Just then, Dori burst back through the door and rushed to Lost. She grabbed Lost's hand and shouted, "Come on! Come play with us!"

Lost laughed and picked Dori up. She placed the child on her hip and stretched her free hand out to Kytia. Kytia stared at the offered hand, hesitant, but the look in Lost's eyes made up her mind. They left Wy alone to talk to his mom.

Wy started again. "Look, if Raeric's out there, somebody needs to go get him."

"Yes, somebody. Not you. You and your wives stay here, where you belong, and help me raise these babies. Have your alien friends look for Raeric."

"Mom, Araquies and Lem are staying on Hibreon. They came here to protect this planet from the Ay'niki, to keep them from coming back here and tearing apart more families."

"But..."

"Kytia, Lost, and I have the skills and the knowledge we need to bring our people back home. You raised me to do the right thing, and Mom, this is the right thing."

She looked like she wanted to argue with him. He could see the words struggling with each other behind her eyes. Eventually, she gave up. "Do you really think Raeric is still alive?"

"I'm not going to stop thinking that until I know otherwise. Either I bring home my brother, or I bring my family some closure. I can't do it from here. I'm going, Mom."

Wy and his mother went outside to join the rest of their community. She rushed off to help with the food, but Wy just stood in the doorway for a minute. He was caught up in a moment of rightness that he hadn't felt in a long time— at least not outside the bed he shared with his mates.

Lost ran around with the kids in a game of tag. She'd even coaxed Brand into playing and laughing when he'd been so serious moments before. Kytia and Lem sat by Arl Isulf near the campfire. She was engaged in one of the Arl's tall tales, but Wy caught her eye, and she smiled.

Enraptured by his own swelling emotions, Wy hadn't noticed that Araquies stood beside him. The Eloua said, "Your people are beautiful, Wyfrost. We are humbled by their joy and hospitality. Thank you for allowing us to visit them."

Then it occurred to Wy that it really was only a visit. He, Kytia, and Lost had a responsibility to those who were still enslaved by the Ay'niki, but where would they be when the job was done? Kytia wanted Raelinholm, Lost wanted her ship... "And I want this," Wy finished the thought aloud.

"Yes," Araquies agreed. Then he added, "But we would prefer the warmer climates south of here."

Wy looked at Araquies and thought about how much the alien had done for them. Wy said, "I hope you find a good place to settle, that Hibreon is as good to you as you've been to us."

"Though we love our home world, every Arcadian is born with travel in their blood. This is hardly the Blight World that Sabrael had reported." Araquies' light faded slightly when he frowned. "We must learn what happened. What caused one of our own to become so... un-Eloua?"

"Maybe we'll find out, if we can get to the Nephilumen."

"Yes, we are anxious to proceed."

Wy tilted his head towards the fire. "We should eat first. It'd be rude of we didn't."

Araquies nodded and followed Wyfrost to the banquet table. "We would not offend our hosts."

When Wy was about through with his plate, and his companions were occupied with his kin, Arl Isulf gave him a long look. Then old Norrhim limped off toward the loafing shed, where the goats were settled in for the night. Wy took his plate to the wash bin and joined the Arl by the small barn.

Isulf didn't waste time with small talk. "I'm old, Wyfrost."

"Well, my Arl, I'd say you're still kicking, but... uh..."

"Don't make me smite you with this cane, boy. Now shut up and listen to me. We lost a lot of good people. We failed our elves and lost them too. We lost our Vala, and no one to take her place. And me... well, I think this is my last summer." Knuckles white, he gripped the cane tight in both hands. "Clan Fjallheim is coming apart, and I can't do a gods damned thing about it. Then there's you."

The Arl paused for a long time. Wy prompted, "What do you want me to do?"

"Step up, boy."

"Sir?"

"You're Arl when I'm dead, so get used to it now. That red head of yours will be Speaker for the handful elves we got left, and the short pale one's got Vala written all over her."

"Arl Isulf, we can't stay. There are people out there who are slaves, just like I was. Kytia and I aren't free until they are. We have to bring as many people home as we can."

"I know." Arl Isulf nodded slowly. "And that's why you're going to lead Fjallheim." He put a strong hand on Wy's shoulder to curtail any argument. "You do what you have to do. But don't take long to be about it. This is your clan, and they need you."

"Arl Isulf, I don't think Kytia will agree to this."

"You talked that pointy-eared little fire-dragon into leaving this world with you again, after she's just got home. So, you'll talk her into her place among the elves here. Use your Vala, Arl Wyfrost. Get the pale one to help you with her."

Arl Wyfrost. At first, he hadn't wanted it, but hearing the title made him change his mind. Doubtless, that was Isulf's plan in saying it. He was not as confident that he could get Kytia to come around to the idea, but as he was found of saying, "Dumber things have happened, I guess."

Isulf laughed and clapped Wyfrost on the back. "You know, I said the same thing when Vala Gudny predicted you'd come home and save us all."

The conversation ended as Lost approached. "Hi Wy. Hi Erl. Luma?"

Kytia, Araquies, and Lem were waiting for him. Wyfrost nodded, "Okay. Let's go get your ship."

***

The cave of the Slumbering One rose off the coastline, an immense cavern of stone and glacial ice. Centuries before, someone had built steps leading gently down inside the cave. Water dripped continuously, echoing throughout the massive chamber. Glistening walls reflected their lanterns and Araquies' glow.

Wy mused as he once again stood before what people had always assumed was a sleeping dragon. Now that he knew the Eloua and the biological designs they used in their technology, he understood that the thing in the ice was one of their ships. It was hard to make out details, but the organic shape and coloration were unmistakably Eloua.

Araquies kept his voice low, as if he was in awe. "This must be the Nephilumen, but how..."

He trailed off and Lem finished for him. "How do we get it out of there?"

Lost ran toward the wall of ice and beat against it with her fists. She rarely ever raised her voice, but this time she shouted as loud as she could, "Luma!"

Kytia wrapped her arms around Lost and drew her away. "Stop it, Lost. You won't get through that way. You're just going to hurt yourself, sweetie." Lost struggled against Kytia and continued to yell at the dormant ship

Wyfrost moved to an altar that had been set up long ago. It was covered in offerings, all bearing some artistic representation of a lotus flower. Mila had brought an old book with her when they'd been there before, and Wy had left that book on the altar. He was relieved to see it was still there. He picked it up and handed to Lost.

"Mila thought this book was important. Maybe there's something in here— a spell or something that will help?"

Lost stopped yelling and took the book from him. She flipped through several pages and looked up at him with teary eyes. She said, "Pol." Then she babbled a lot of elf words at Kytia. When she spoke to him again, she hugged the book tightly to her chest. "Thank you, Wy."

Kytia clarified, "Pol was a good friend to her. She was one of those who was killed and disposed of in the grotto. She says that book was Pol's journal. It doesn't have any spells in it, but she's grateful to have that part of her friend returned to her."

Wy wasn't about to give up. "Well, maybe some of this other stuff?" He picked up a sphere with a preserved lotus inside it.

Lost smiled at him and said, "Pretty, but no magic."

Lem suggested, "We might have some tools on the ship."

"Na'i," Lost said. "Please, Kytia." She passed the ancient journal to Kytia who handled it with uncharacteristic reverence.

Then Lost addressed everyone. "Luma is me space-boat, and I gonna fix. Now, step back. I gonna magic the fook out this."

Lost turned her full attention to the task. She braced her feet and placed both hands on the barrier between herself and her ship. To Wy, she looked terribly small, just one little ylf'nim woman against all that ice. He'd seen her warp time and space, still he doubted her power was strong enough to free the whole ship within.

At first, it seemed like nothing happened. Wy was going to stop her, but Araquies laid a hand on his shoulder. "We believe in the Oracle. Let her continue."

Then as Lost's glow steadily intensified, the temperature in the cave began to rise. Water came down from the ceiling like rain, and Wy felt the first stirrings of trepidation. Kytia gave the journal to Araquies who quickly tucked it under his mantle to keep it dry. More ancient water washed down to mix with the sweat dripping from Wy's face.

Kytia asked, "Uh, Wy, is this safe?"

He was about to answer when a thunderous boom startled him so that he nearly wet his trousers. For a split second, he'd thought the world had exploded. A jagged crack appeared in the wall of ice, and the rain became a deluge.

Guinahart
Guinahart
93 Followers
12